Printing a list of video in C: or D:

seedy

On a roll today ???

I have many movies on portable HDD as well as C and D drives.

Would like to copy the titles of the movies on all those drives so I have a paper record.

Tried saving page as ... but just a bunch of goop.

Got one question done today, will try for another !!

Thanks.

Create a folder on your C: drive called movies

Open a dos prompt (cmd)

Type:-

tree /a /f D: > c:\movies\d-drive.txt

hit 'enter'

Look in your movies folder, there should be a text file called d-drive.txt with all your filenames.

Substitute the D: for whatever drive or folder your movies are in

However that is a $40 to $70 program - not really cost effective for making a list. And as there are many other movie list programs from less or no cost believe may not be the best option. Do you use it? Do you like it? Have you used others, such as the free EMDB.

As for making lists you might want to activate the Microsoft Print Directory Listing to allow doing so from menu click rather than using command prompt

Create a folder on your C: drive called movies

Open a dos prompt (cmd)

Type:-

hit 'enter'

Look in your movies folder, there should be a text file called d-drive.txt with all your filenames.

Substitute the D: for whatever drive or folder your movies are in

Do I type it exactly as above starting with Type:-, with the double spaces, etc ???

This is what I get if opening with notepad or wordpad ...

Parameter format not correct - /a/fD:=drive.txt

There are spaces between the parameters but not after c:\ if you type exactly as I have it should work, you could cut n paste (right click) into the cmd window.

EDIT I just did help tree try it this way round, my version of windows doesn't care, yours might.

tree D: /a /f

Copy and paste worked.

You are a Prince. Thanks Crossy.

If you press the up arrow in the cmd window you can scroll back through your previous commands and edit the command line to adjust where it starts the tree from.

So I type like this - just change D: to whatever I want to copy ... F: or G: ...

tree space /a space /f space D: space > space c: ...

and d-drive to f-drive or g-drive ...

this right ???

Yes, you could also do something like

tree space /a space /f space D:\movies\brit space > space c

If you have a movies\brit folder on D: and only want to index that

When I plug in any portable HDD they come up as F first, then G if I plug in more than one ...

Have twin HDD on the laptop, C and D

Dump movies into D, and when full transfer to HDD.

Again, many thanks for all your help.

Got to get up to your neck-of-the-woods one day, this qualifies for a meal on me for sure.

Be Well

Welcome to the world of the Command Line, once upon a time all computers worked like this smile.png

Actually you had to type prompt $p$g to get that nice friendly c:> prompt smile.png

Type help in the cmd window for a list of all the wonderful things you can do.

Type help followed by the command you're interested in for help on that command.

EDIT We are here 14.055497,100.55159 bring beer :)

I use FileBot its free.

If you don't want to download the same thing twice, then just keep the torrent name inside utorrent and set it to inactive.

I recommend you use XBMC to manage ya files.

Be careful as free filebot includes several additional programs that must be manually declined if not wanted and the program requires Java to actually run (which I do not have or want on my computer).

You can also use Karen's Directory Printer v5.3.2 or DirPrint 1.1/DirPrintAdv 1.7

All three are free for non-comerical use and have many options for the output format.

Karen's Directory Priinter doesn't appear to be developed anymore, but many people use it.

Whereas DirPrint and DirPrintAdv are much newer, with DirPrintAdv being the newest.

Much easier than using the command prompt method to get printouts. smile.png

Edited by BB1950

However that is a $40 to $70 program - not really cost effective for making a list. And as there are many other movie list programs from less or no cost believe may not be the best option. Do you use it? Do you like it? Have you used others, such as the free EMDB.

As for making lists you might want to activate the Microsoft Print Directory Listing to allow doing so from menu click rather than using command prompt

Yes I use it and I find it very useful - I moved to it a few years ago from some other free stuff that was very limited in scope. It can scan a hard drive for new movie folders, fairly seamlessly link them to information gleaned from imdb.com into a database and produce reports any which way you like. I mostly like it to suggest something to watch on a given day, as I have so many movies on the hard drive I cannot remember whats there.

You can also use Karen's Directory Printer v5.3.2 or DirPrint 1.1/DirPrintAdv 1.7

All three are free for non-comerical use and have many options for the output format.

Karen's Directory Priinter doesn't appear to be developed anymore, but many people use it.

Whereas DirPrint and DirPrintAdv are much newer, with DirPrintAdv being the newest.

Much easier than using the command prompt method to get printouts. smile.png

Downloaded Direct Print.

Does exactly what I want with a mouse click. Will try to save to a memory stick and then go try and print. If it works it will be exactly what I needed, and very easy.

Thanks for the tip.

Downloaded the print directory listing twice, as Microsoft Fix It, can not find it on my computer.

Windows 7 help - no help at all

You just click on the "fix it" on the web site link and once that takes care of your computer you have a new option on any right click of folder menu to "Print Directory Listing" so a two click print for any folder.

For more a data base believe the EMDB is a very good option (and have used paid software which was often much less helpful). Much prefer software that is updated without having to buy a new version each year and happy to make donations for such.

You just click on the "fix it" on the web site link and once that takes care of your computer you have a new option on any right click of folder menu to "Print Directory Listing" so a two click print for any folder.

For more a data base believe the EMDB is a very good option (and have used paid software which was often much less helpful). Much prefer software that is updated without having to buy a new version each year and happy to make donations for such.

Ah - now I see it.

Can not just click on the D drive and get a printout of the whole list of folders tho' can you ?

Thanks for your idea about EMDB. I have just tried it out and it looks OK albeit compared to Movie Label it seems less sophisticated and more time consuming, but I would certainly consider it if Movie Label wasn't available.

Ah - now I see it.

Can not just click on the D drive and get a printout of the whole list of folders tho' can you ?

No option for that it appears; but I use TreeSize for scan and list of hard drives as it also lists the actual size of each folder and allows you to find where the fat may be so you can delete what is not needed.

I use FileBot its free.

If you don't want to download the same thing twice, then just keep the torrent name inside utorrent and set it to inactive.

I recommend you use XBMC to manage ya files.

Be careful as free filebot includes several additional programs that must be manually declined if not wanted and the program requires Java to actually run (which I do not have or want on my computer).

thumbsup.gif

Whats your fear of Java? Javas so common ya washing machine talks it :)

That's my fear - do not want communications with my washing machines. That could get dirty. smile.png It is totally not required for anything needed and too much of a security risk just to make it easy. On washer not a concern but on computer with financial data do not want it.