Thai PM protests innocence amid impeachment threat

webfact

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have always been aware that government work and private sector work must be based on such principles and with clear delegation of duties so that there is accountability in all related issues and accountability in each procedure.

And also I didn't hear what the underlings said to me, because I was playing Tetris on my mobile phone, again.

NATIONAL ANTI-GRAFT COMMITTEE
Caretaker PM comes out in her own defence

BANGKOK: -- Caretaker premier Yingluck Shinawatra on Thursday defended herself against the charges brought by the national anti-graft committee of neglect of duty in the rice-pledging scheme, saying she was innocent and has served with righteousness.

Writing on her Facebook wall, Yingluck said she would be willing to cooperate with the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC).

"I reaffirm that I am innocent of the accusations made by the NACC," Yingluck said on her official Facebook page.

"Even though I am accused of criminal charges and face removal (from office), as per the wishes of people who want to overthrow the government, I am willing to cooperate to establish the facts."

She said she has always been committed to serving Thais with honesty, integrity and with her best efforts.

"I shall therefore not let them down, in particular in regard to my the responsibility to protect the interests of the Thai people and uphold our democratic system with His Majesty the King as the Head of State."

She said NACC had confirmed she would be accorded full rights, treated fairly and transparently in the judicial process.

She initially believed that she would be accorded fair and just treatment and that sufficient witness testimony and evidence would be considered throughout the procedures, as the law specifies that the NACC must proceed promptly, but without rush, in accommodating justice for the accused.

As chairperson of the National Rice Policy Committee, Yingluck said, her work is done at the policy level while the implementation of the scheme is undertaken by government agencies in accordance with policy directions.

"The government system has its own standards and regulations. Therefore my work at the policy level does not have the authority to directly operate, order, or overrule the work of government officials in any way."

The implementation of the projects would be in line with cabinet resolutions and based on government policy. "I have always been aware that government work and private sector work must be based on such principles and with clear delegation of duties so that there is accountability in all related issues and accountability in each procedure."

She said that accusations had been levied against her even though she had not been involved at the operational level.

Yingluck said she submitted two official petitions the NACC on February 11, asking them to replace Professor Vicha Mahakul, an NACC member, with a new member. She was not informed about the status of the request. However on February 18, the NACC announced the charges and informed her she would be summoned to hear the charges on February 27.

"This period seems very short for the NACC to investigate a political case has never happened before."

She also observed that a cabinet member in the last government was charged with many counts of corruption, including some related to its rice insurance scheme. Surprisingly, there had been no judicial development regarding that particular case, whereas it had taken only 21 days to investigate and bring charges against her.

On the charges that she allowed the rice-pledging scheme to continue despite the fact that many organisations warned her of possible corruption and damages, Yingluck said, "I wish to prove once again that the scheme will definitely be beneficial to the farmers as it has raised the living standards of our fellow farmers.

"More importantly, if there were indeed true justice without any hidden agenda, the NACC would not have investigated in such a hurry and delivered a verdict in a manner that has allowed society to deem it as beneficial only to those who want to topple the government."

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-02-20

As a director of a major company she should be aware of the responsibilities of being in charge of implementing policy but she is now distancing herself from those who execute said policy.

The knock on effect of that will be to drive a wedge between her and those lower down in the PTP but it won't relieve her of either the responsibility or culpability

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra on Thursday insisted that she is innocent and not involved in the rice-pledging scheme.

She's head of the rice committee <deleted>. How can she not be involved?

thumbsup.gif

Plus it was a key 'pre-election promise', when she was campaigning in 2011, indeed she herself announced the B20,000/tonne rate for Hom Mali during a speech to her supporters, she cannot now try to deny having been fully-involved in the scheme. wink.png

If I were Yinguck I would quickly sell the 20 billion kg rice they have in stock. With this money they can pay the farmers and pay back a large chunk of the loan at BAAC. Then my critics wouldn't have much left to say.

smile.png

How much do you suppose she would get for weevil infested rice flour and husks on the open market? whistling.gif

If China didn't want to buy or barter it, then not much hope of anyone else stepping in methinks. Maybe Thaksin's mate Mugabe might be good for a tonne or two, but that's about it. sad.png

PM YS and her cabinet did not ignore NACC warnings that the rice scheme was fostering corruption and causing financial losses. Measures and steps were being taken based on the warnings.

NACC should focus on supporting the effective policy implementation of a government and helping a government in fighting corruption, wrongdoings and punish farmers, traders, millers, officials and politicians caught cheating, colluding and sabotaging the scheme.

The government did not claim in anyway that rice pledging scheme is a money making scheme and without challenges. The rice scheme is to raise the living standard of rice farmer and therefore helps in boosting domestic consumption and ensuring food security. It also has a positive impact of the growth and development of related industries.

We have been focusing on problems instead of measures and steps toward successful implementation of a scheme/project - any scheme or project.

NACC should be careful of being entangled with politics.

Whaaaaaaaaat!!!!

• Like 1

Maybe there will finally be an accounting of the rice pledge scheme losses now that her job and freedom is on the line. She should spare her country and party the embarrassment and just high-tail it to Dubai.

Indeed. Yingluck claims she is innocent but at the same time hasn't released any figures since the scheme started almost 3 years ago.

If you are innocent the first thing you would do is remove any speculation by revealing the numbers.

First of all it's not almost three years ago. It started on the 7th of October 2011. My brother tells me we could have made even larger profits if only we were given more time.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If I were Yinguck I would quickly sell the 20 billion kg rice they have in stock. With this money they can pay the farmers and pay back a large chunk of the loan at BAAC. Then my critics wouldn't have much left to say.

smile.png

Sell it to who , Thailand's rice exports are in tatters, buyers have placed orders else where

""Even though I am accused of criminal charges and face removal (from office), as per the wishes of people who want to overthrow the government, I am willing to cooperate to establish the facts.""

It's not my fault, it's those pesky anti-government protesters again. I always like to talk to people and tell the facts as I like them to be known rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

PM YS and her cabinet did not ignore NACC warnings that the rice scheme was fostering corruption and causing financial losses. Measures and steps were being taken based on the warnings.

Please illustrate your answer with examples.

You mean it isn't on her Facebook page?? In any case, probably the only measure she did were 'this handbag yai..... this one lek'.... and steps would be checking out her new shoe purchases whistling.gif

• Like 2

"In another legal setback to Yingluck..."

The Electoral majority who underpin Ms. Y's administration do not see this as a "Legal setback" at all.

They characterize it as an attack by the unelectable Elites. An attack by the Opposition. An attack by the electoral minority who want to run the country...in effect minority rule. A coup-intentioned initiative when street coup-mongers and the military could not/would not achieve it.

Most any independent but knowledgable observers would agree with that...I never knew a term such as "judicial coup" existed until I saw it in Thailand.

Taking this judicial challenge at face value, attributing credibility and validity to it, identifies that individual as being sympathetic to PAD-Dem agenda's.

Or far-removed international perspectives who are not aware of these charges of a politicized judiciary, give this thing credibility thinking the judiciary is normal.

As in most things, they need to be contextualized in order to understand them fully.

• Like 1

Maybe there will finally be an accounting of the rice pledge scheme losses now that her job and freedom is on the line. She should spare her country and party the embarrassment and just high-tail it to Dubai.

Indeed. Yingluck claims she is innocent but at the same time hasn't released any figures since the scheme started almost 3 years ago.

If you are innocent the first thing you would do is remove any speculation by revealing the numbers.

...they are probably 'working on it' around the clock...on this eleventh hour...to 'prove' her innocence....

The Electoral majority who underpin Ms. Y's administration do not see this as a "Legal setback" at all.

They characterize it as an attack by the unelectable Elites. An attack by the Opposition. An attack by the electoral minority who want to run the country...in effect minority rule. A coup-intentioned initiative when street coup-mongers and the military could not/would not achieve it.

Most any independent but knowledgable observers would agree with that...I never knew a term such as "judicial coup" existed until I saw it in Thailand.

Taking this judicial challenge at face value, attributing credibility and validity to it, identifies that individual as being sympathetic to PAD-Dem agenda's.

Or far-removed international perspectives who are not aware of these charges of a politicized judiciary, give this thing credibility thinking the judiciary is normal.

As in most things, they need to be contextualized in order to understand them fully.

Ignoring the rest of the gibberish.

Who appointed you as the voice of "The Electoral Majority"?

• Like 2

Of course she is innocent. Those pesky NACC people are just making trouble for her. How could she possibly be responsible for anything? Poo (you just have to love that nickname) was so busy shopping or travelling to so many foreign countries and didn't have any knowledge of what was going on in the rice scam. She never attended any meetings and was never aware of any day to day activities. She only delegated authority to those responsible and wasn't personally involved. It was somebody else that was at fault. Perfect defense based in Thai logic.

Edited by aguy30
  • Like 2

The very fact that the PTP's behavior and lack of any form of responsibility and accountability only serves to highlight just how far this country has regressed into a totally failed nation devoid of consistence, intellect and democratic process.

Any true democratic administration will be hard pressed owing to the myriad of disconnects within their convoluted legal system.

A country that strives for the establishment of true democracy must first ensure that they fully understand the meaning of democracy and all the requirements that such a system entails.

• Like 2

"More importantly, if there were indeed true justice without any hidden agenda, the NACC would not have investigated in such a hurry and delivered a verdict in a manner that has allowed society to deem it as beneficial only to those who want to topple the government."

This says everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She is already sentenced before any inquiry is made.

Some people have more rights as others.

As usual.

Remember the case of the airport fiasco?

The courts are still inquiring on the case ....

A civil war is very near now ....

• Like 1

Ignoring the rest of the gibberish.

Who appointed you as the voice of "The Electoral Majority"?

CalgaryII

• Like 2

smile.png

Are you serious? If they tried to dump all that rice on the market at one time they would cause the market to fall so bad that they would lose even more billions and probably would not be able to pay even the farmers.