What type of expat are you?

HalcyonDays

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's customary when starting a thread like this (tell all) to declare the catergory that you fall into? after all you wouldn't want members to think you are secretive,while expecting other members to tell all! now would you?

Edited by MAJIC
  • Like 2

I am not Ex anything. I haven't stopped being patrioti to my country nor would I ever revoike my nationality. I live and workd abroad and have for 2/3rd of my life.

The use of the word is relatively racist and discriminatory because we don't call Asians who move to our native countries expats we call them immingrants.

Personally, I would probably be considered an immigrant and not an Expat. If you actually trace the history of the word, you will see that the first coined term for expats were Brits who turned their back on the empire and "went nativfe" in the ountries they were stationed, typically in Africa and India.

• Like 1

Missed "Sex Pats" which realistically makes up 80%+*

*Apart from when on Thai Visa when said sex pats take on a new persona of a hi so girlfriend and support Suthep to show they are different than the Issan bargirls they bang nightly

Missed "Sex Pats"

Done. See my reply a minute or two ago.

Yes we romantic travelers are most indignant at being missed in the OP.

If you could get the categories right - no more than six + "other - you could do a poll?

Probably need to do a multiple choice, select more than one.

I am not Ex anything. I haven't stopped being patrioti to my country nor would I ever revoike my nationality. I live and workd abroad and have for 2/3rd of my life.

The use of the word is relatively racist and discriminatory because we don't call Asians who move to our native countries expats we call them immingrants.

Personally, I would probably be considered an immigrant and not an Expat. If you actually trace the history of the word, you will see that the first coined term for expats were Brits who turned their back on the empire and "went nativfe" in the ountries they were stationed, typically in Africa and India.

Come to the US and you are "Aliens".

"What type of expat are you?"

The worst type, of course.

As for "old pats" being short of money, that depends. Personally I'm much better off now that I'm retired here as my income is about the same as before but my outgoings are much less (no tax, no work travel costs, no other work-related costs etc). And my capital situation is terrific having downsized from a large expensive European house to a nice Jomtien sea-view condo worth under 10% of what the house was, thus multiplying my investments/savings by a factor of two in the process.