Police want independence

Lite Beer

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

its about bloody time too, an independant police force that worked equally for all thais is way overdue. Actually while they are at it they could also start to do what they are paid for and actually police the country instead of hiding away in their airconditioned offices. A police force that chased after criminals instead oif supporting them would be nice, so would a police force that did road patrols and booked all the bullsh*t drivers/riders, the country would suddenly have a wealth of govt money of they did. Removing ranks once you leave the force should be also high on the agenda, chalerm is not a cop, he is a politician and should be treated as such and have no sway over them, same with thaksin.

Thailand needs an independant police force that does what it is supposed to, this would stop a hell of a lot of the crap we are now seeing and put the reds and yellows to bed, cant wait but it will simply never happen like everything else they plan here.

You are absolutely right but can you imagine politicians and the elite willingly losing control over the BIB, the appointment of senior officers and so on ?

• Like 1

You can get your independence once you become real cops and not just uniformed licensed criminals who are out for a bribe.

The fact of the matter is, this protests actually brought you guys some form of respect because you actually had to go out and do your job during this crisis. After it ends, it's back to same old same old with you guys just going around collecting money again.

• Like 1

its about bloody time too, an independant police force that worked equally for all thais is way overdue. Actually while they are at it they could also start to do what they are paid for and actually police the country instead of hiding away in their airconditioned offices. A police force that chased after criminals instead oif supporting them would be nice, so would a police force that did road patrols and booked all the bullsh*t drivers/riders, the country would suddenly have a wealth of govt money of they did. Removing ranks once you leave the force should be also high on the agenda, chalerm is not a cop, he is a politician and should be treated as such and have no sway over them, same with thaksin.

Thailand needs an independant police force that does what it is supposed to, this would stop a hell of a lot of the crap we are now seeing and put the reds and yellows to bed, cant wait but it will simply never happen like everything else they plan here.

You are absolutely right but can you imagine politicians and the elite willingly losing control over the BIB, the appointment of senior officers and so on ?

Isn't this exactly why reforms cannot be left to the politicians and 'elites' of either side?

Perhaps that is why the red propaganda machine is so terrified by, and the Democrats so tepid in their support for, the thought of a reform council being formed by people and not politicians.

• Like 1

Cleaning up Thailand means nothing unless they admit their problem - the establishment operating outside the law. It is about equal justice and due process for all regardless of rank and pecking order. Then the police know what their charter is and who is playing the music. Right now the police are just a franchise of bag men operating for the big men and elite.

Well in headlines it all sounds hunky-dory but in reality it will take reform across the board...every agency would need to be examined and that is a HUGE undertaking... will take at least one generation... and the foundation for it must be in education so the kids don't grow up mimicking the behavior of their elders As a parent three times over.... know full well that the.... Do as I say...not as I do...does not address it... self examination and a willingness to completely "reset" .....but...too much work... we can just reform a lil bit and then have something to eat... not going to be easy...lotta ideas popping up now... wonder if and for how long they will be pertinent...thew people I have talked to here....just want this whole mess to go away..and they aren't really taking sides anymore....they are just tired of all the ballyhoo...and don't really believe anything will change... sad really

Edited by DirtFarmer
  • Like 1

The police's reputation is so bad in this country that they have actually become for many synonymous with the very problem they are entrusted to protect the public from. So everyone agrees it needs reform. But is reform really going to succeed if suggestions for reform originate from the police themselves ? These suggestions from a police official sound too close to a proposal for an " independent political party ", than a completely unbiased police department, whose sole task should be the protection of the public's constitutional rights and the unprejudiced upholding of the law.Tackling corruption anywhere is going to be the ongoing challenge of reform, as well as being the measure of its success. But tackling corruption will be no less daunting for the police. The more reform is taken out of the hands of the police and placed in the hands of the people - through an act of parliament which adheres to the fundamental rights of all protected by the constitution, followed up by stringent judicial oversight, as well as outreach and ombudsman services - the more the public good is protected.

• Like 1

Wonderful.

Equal protection under the law is one principle of democracy. PTP would hate that principle being restored so expect a lot of resistance.

The first man to go should be the below.

That same man has recently overseen the stuffing of the police investigation departments with loyalists.

I think what the OP is saying is that some sectors of the RTP are sick of this sort of shenanigans.

Cleaning up Thailand means nothing unless they admit their problem - the establishment operating outside the law. It is about equal justice and due process for all regardless of rank and pecking order. Then the police know what their charter is and who is playing the music. Right now the police are just a franchise of bag men operating for the big men and elite.

A franchise of bag men ?? I love that turn of phrase. I used to call them

tax collectors with guns.... In any event, I wonder why they have generated

so much contempt from everyone.......Oh I know, really bad behavior.

When there is a new government, I sure hope reforming the police will be

high on the list. I know that Suthep has said as much, sure hope he follows

through.

Pol Maj Gen Kosin said "... if it did not act in the best interests of the people, then it could be directly reprimand by the public..."

"Not all police officers want to ... work for certain politicians. RTPO should rely on performance evaluations to promote officers rather than look to those who serve politicians..."

Step in the right direction, if it's possible.

• Like 1