To Sin-Sot or not? What is fair to both sides?

Scarpolo

I keep seeing Sin Sot comments, in every thread I visit.

What I do not see, is any discussion of what is fair.

No one mentions amounts,

No one mentions value.

I initially thought it was bribery for a young girl, certainly not a woman in her 30's

They feel differently, and I am seeing that in all the pictures of all the friends, there is Baht and Gold, without mention of what is really being transacted.

Then the obvious come to mind; HOW MUCH?

no one mentions the request or the family requirement.

What if, it is only $30,000 BAHT?

I think I paid marriage counselors and psychologists for my wife and HER psychologically abused daughter from a madman, tens of thousands, p;us legal fees for their custody battles,

so Gents, and Ladies,

Let's get real about this.

This morning I learned that my wife's mother has been giving her some very sound relationship advice.

That got me to thinking about this topic,

Let's discuss value, amounts, and what is truly fair, and, do we really want to bring shame of any kind to the family, if it in reality, is going to cost us very little?

please, no fighting, this is a topic of great unnecessary distress for many, so let's keep it light, and not scare away the women

thanks,

Steve

• Like 1

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amounts would vary on girls family status, girls virginity status, girls education, job and prospects.

For a divorced female with kids sinsod is nothing, but to make family look good, one can put up some money, just for show

For girl from prominent family with good education, good job and no previous kids or marriages, can go anywhere from 100K to Millions.

My maids son just go married, he paid 10 000 baht sin sod, married girl of same "level"

The problem with the question is that you will get the same blinkered nonsense from the same people who wholly believe in what they post, but have no real grasp of the intricacies of each individual situation.

I know of one recent marriage, both Thai, the lady previously married with a child and sinsot and Gold were paid.

So there you go, two responses, two wholly differing answers.

Each situation is different, it is the point of view and knowledge of posters that will matter.

Good Luck with this one, it will run to pages and you will very little valuable data from it.

• Like 1

There is like 327 Sin Sot topics now open on Thai Visa as I write. Why would anyone want to open another? Can't you use the search button? Why OH Why would anyone want another Sin Sot thread? Isn't there a pinned sin sot somewhere?

Here is what you do. Go to the upper right and type in Sin Sot and then you get 15 pages of sin sot topics back in a fraction of a second. Talk about high tech. It is a sin sot's lover's paradise.

• Like 1

There is like 327 Sin Sot topics now open on Thai Visa as I write. Why would anyone want to open another? Can't you use the search button? Why OH Why would anyone want another Sin Sot thread? Isn't there a pinned sin sot somewhere?

Here is what you do. Go to the upper right and type in Sin Sot and then you get 15 pages of sin sot topics back in a fraction of a second. Talk about high tech. It is a sin sot's lover's paradise.

I am still fairly new to TV and realized there must be many thoughts on the topic,

What I am seeking from this thread, is a specific answer to the questions of fairness, and value.

If it costs us very little,

It will cost us more not to give it,

My personal situation is easy, I am not getting married, but the topic comes up, and who knows, anything can happen,

But my still legal marriage in the States will probably be a large deterrent, for now, call it a marriage condom

My Thai brother in law has been married twice in the last 3 years, first sinsod 80k baht, not returned, second sinsod a month ago 100k baht not returned

In most Thai cases I think the sinsod just about covers the wedding, so if you are going for grandiose then expect to pay more for the show, and the Bride

In my opinion not contributing to the proceedings at all is an insult, and to offer a pittance after further negotiation, only compounds the insult

Edited by 473geo
  • Like 1

But he would not have located the current information I have provided above

Edited by 473geo
  • Like 1

I am still fairly new to TV and realized there must be many thoughts on the topic,

What I am seeking from this thread, is a specific answer to the questions of fairness, and value.

My personal situation is easy, I am not getting married, but the topic comes up, and who knows, anything can happen,

But my still legal marriage in the States will probably be a large deterrent, for now, call it a marriage condom

Unless you are the laziest man in the world go to the right upper part of Thai Visa and type in Sin Sot and you will get 10,392 separate opinions of what it is, how much should be paid and every other aspect of sin sot from top to bottom. If you are not getting married you don't need to know anyway and anyone else who wants to know can simply search the giant pile of information that is available here on the subject.

It will not cost more not to give it. It has been given ten thousand times over and over again on Thai Visa. Do you really think anyone would allow you to speak for them here? Or anyone needs your input on anything?

Edited by thailiketoo

Unless you are the laziest man in the world go to the right upper part of Thai Visa and type in Sin Sot and you will get 10,392 separate opinions of what it is, how much should be paid and every other aspect of sin sot from top to bottom. If you are not getting married you don't need to know anyway and anyone else who wants to know can simply search the giant pile of information that is available here on the subject.

It will not cost more not to give it. It has been given ten thousand times over and over again on Thai Visa. Do you really think anyone would allow you to speak for them here? Or anyone needs your input on anything?

Why don't you just have sex and travel

Are you asking me? Why travel?

Hmm sex and travel = F* Off in most places mate

I didn't know that. You mean there is more than one person who thinks Thai Visa needs another Sin Sot thread?

A guy who says he is never going to get married starts a thread about Sin Sot for us al,l not himself?

Does anyone need more information about Sin Sot? The OP does not need any information he is acting as a good Samaritan for others who need to know about Sin Sot.

Edited by thailiketoo

I have been doing that since the last marriage ended in May 2012.

This is part of that adventure, as, I unlike many others, do not believe that in the long run,

That the girl I am with, should be with someone this much older, who is not Thai.

We are good for eachother now; that is all that counts, but long term,

She deserves a shot at a family and a fuller life than I can give her, because of the cultural disparity, which will ultimately take its toll.

It already exacts a price on us.

• Like 1

Those that have not paid sinsod for whatever reason will consistently deny it is a requirement, or even Thai culture, which of course is ridiculous because as I have pointed out there are Thai who pay sinsod. Maybe a culture on the wain, maybe in some cases for show, but you think many of those farang who refuse(d) to pay sinsod remain happily married, or are even married at all!! (I know there are some who take great pride in being married and not paying sinsod, I read Tvisa)

The intrigue of the sinsod question, how much, how old, how beautiful, how many children?

The sinsod arose, I dealt with it.....simple negotiation.......and you know of course part of successful negotiation, good listening skills, and resisting the temptation to 'beat' others into submission......I wonder how many TV posters fail on the second count smile.png Sinsod is about arriving at a place where both parties are comfortable with the conclusion. treat it as fun, it can be.

Gotta laugh when guys congratulate them selves on marrying an 'orphan' I may have paid sinsod, but I got a massive supportive family for free, which I wouldn't be without if you gave me millions of Baht!

Sinsod: a measure of financial responsibility, commitment, reasoning skills, flexibility, and intention. Why would this be wrong when looking out for the future of your daughter?

The wheels just stopped turning and this more than deserves this ...

This is as bad as all the rice threads, there is an app for sin sod google it and stick your details in

Is there an app for 'not interested but feel the need to post'

Like an electric shock from the keyboard!!

Could be applied when creating useless OP's

My Thai brother in law has been married twice in the last 3 years, first sinsod 80k baht, not returned, second sinsod a month ago 100k baht not returned

In most Thai cases I think the sinsod just about covers the wedding, so if you are going for grandiose then expect to pay more for the show, and the Bride

In my opinion not contributing to the proceedings at all is an insult, and to offer a pittance after further negotiation, only compounds the insult

In essense the person is paying for their own wedding.

not as unusual in the states as it may seem to others here,

not every girls father pays

as I mentioned in other sin sot pieces, my wifes aunty wanted 300,000 baht to use to pay for the wedding and then give money back to us, in Australia the brides family pays so a good compromise is alway on the cards but in most cases the sin sot should be returned to the bride and groom unless it is used to pay for the wedding.

A while ago here on TV, was posted that a Canadian 50 something oil industry millionaire got married with a 27 years old restaurant server he met in one of his business trips to BK. After few years of taking care of her financially in a long distance relationship, he decide to move to Thailand to married her. He give to his bride's mother 1.000.000 US for sin-sot.......

Probably that was his monthly spending in Canada....

I will follow his example and I will do the same....Pay a sin-sot equal to my monthly spending in Thailand...Isn't fair?.

Edited by thailampang2012

Usually sin soots apply only to bargirls.

Crap.....my Thai brother in law was first married to an electrical shop sales supervisor, Sinsod 80k, now has just married a uni student sinsod 100k

My sister in law (Thai) has just married guy paid 100k (just about paid for the wedding with a bit left over for mama) and 2 baht gold, works in a BKK factory with her husband

• Like 2

A sin sod is part of Thai culture and one should respect this. The amount comes down to what is considered reasonable to achieve common aims. If you realise and accept this it should earn you more in the end.

Few years ago i was engaged to marry a young uni student( 10 years younger than me), mother a teacher, father in earth moving business.

When i raised the question of Sin Sod with the mother,(teacher) she told me she was not selling a cow and only wanted for her daughter to be happy.

So i would not be betting all my money on Thai culture theory. Its a tradition yes, an old one yes. Do all Thai follow it? NO

"When i raised the question of Sin Sod with the mother,(teacher) she told me she was not selling a cow and only wanted for her daughter to be happy."

That has always been my opinion, and also a lot of posters here on TV. Glad to hear a

Thai having the same opinion. The only TV members espousing the great value of

paying sin sot to a greedy mother are the ones who paid it. Reminds me of the Aesop fable about the fox with no tail....

"

The Fox Who Had Lost His Tail

A FOX caught in a trap escaped, but in so doing lost his tail. Thereafter, feeling his life a burden from the shame and ridicule to which he was exposed, he schemed to convince all the other Foxes that being tailless was much more attractive, thus making up for his own deprivation. He assembled a good many Foxes and publicly advised them to cut off their tails, saying that they would not only look much better without them, but that they would get rid of the weight of the brush, which was a very great inconvenience. One of them interrupting him said, "If you had not yourself lost your tail, my friend, you would not thus counsel us."

• Like 2