16 injured in blast near anti-govt protest in Bangkok

Lite Beer

Big C is fenced in by the protests- to get into big C (this morning at 11 am) from either direction, you had to walk past a guard checking bags. This is NOT to say that parents should be avoiding areas that the protesters have claimed. To the poster who says he hasn't seen police or army presence-- has he been to Lumphini park coming from Wireless Rd? To the intersection on Phetburi? Silom road (in front of Bangkok Bank)? I counted 12 manned bunkers in my stroll two days ago- though agree- NO police in sight.

I'm afraid the days of pointing fingers are coming to an end- now could begin the bad shit. Debates about 'who started it' will be the priviledge of those living off shore.

Thida's comments today are ominous-- and fully to be expected. People learn the easy way -- or the hard way- that there is a reason for law- for procedure- for dispassionate debate. There is much that happens in Thailand that would not be permitted in more stable countries-- (and let's not get into the nature of Thai culture that treats the law as little more than a tool with which to hammer your enemy when grenades are not available).

Anyone watching events unfold since the airport occupation- and the subsequent consolidation of Thaksin support- knew this would happen- and we will, I fear, see much worse.

Personally I can't understand why the Reds would be engaged in these bombings- unless they are loner cowboys- because in so doing, they are inviting a military coup. And very possibly another Abhisit led government.

Or all out civil war-- in which case nobody will win.

The reds have been so far, not villified by the west the way the gov't in Ukraine has been. It makes no sense that they would seek to lose the moral high ground. But-- times like this defy logic--

The Red Shirts are primed and ready to engage in violence, the reaction on their seminar today is a clear indication of their morals vis-a-vis violence and murder.

Don´t understimate years of relentless propaganda, the easiest way to keep people in control is to keep them scared and angry, and their "leaders" have been very busy working on that.

Didn't Suthep promote violence first last week when he told red shirts to come to Bangkok, that he would serve them "popcorn"? And in the same statement, Suthep said that he "liked" the popcorn shooters and their actions.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Sounds like a 5 or 6 year old boy was killed.
Anyone that pushes blame onto parents for the death of a son will be reported by me. I hope every poster that reads this does the same. Have some respect for the dead. You are only showing your true colors when you do what you do.
It is not the parents fault. It is the terrorists fault.
Shame.

I don't think anyone is blaming the parents for the deaths directly, but children should not be anywhere near danger, and in case you haven't realized, these places have become very dangerous lately. Go ahead, report this post if you want. But in case my point wasn't clear enough already ill say it again - childrens safely should be put above politics. that means getting those children out of the danger zones immediately.

Look at the photos the children were at stalls selling clothes among other things, they were NOT at any protests.

Anywhere near danger, like roads ?

Give it a rest you red lot you are just making your cause worse by your disgusting posts.

Robby, where do you live? Have you been at any of the protest sites? I live near the main rally stage and I have seen parents painting their kids with colors of the Thai flag, taking them to the stages, holding them up high while listening to the rabblings of a mad dog... Suthep that is.

My niece and nephew were at one point here until the mrs and me directed sharp criticism towards the parents for not thinking straight. With things escalating, kids should be kept out of these areas as these inattacks are increasing.

A lot of Thais (red and yellow) indoctrinate their kids in politics, like everything else. I wrote a post some time ago where I pointed out one of the reasons for Thais don't develop. The teachers here teaches the same mistakes that their teachers taught them because no one want to lose face that they don´t know anything about the subject in question.This is inevitably linked to the cultural problems and/or misunderstandings we have seen and still are seeing today.

Edited by maxme

Hahaha, you are another nonsense, you did not read the nine orders of the judges.

Umm... nine orders?

The link you posted has 12? Are you sure YOU know what you are talking about??

1. To prohibit the three defendants from using force, or from authorising the use of force or weapons, to disperse the protest held by the plaintiff and the public;

2. To prohibit the three defendants from ordering seizure of goods, consumer goods, chemical substances or other materials used in the protest organised by the plaintiff;

3. To prohibit the three defendants from issuing an order to search, remove, or demolish buildings, structures or barriers put up by the plaintiff;

4. To prohibit the three defendants from issuing an order requesting all sales, use or possession of goods, medical supplies, consumer goods which might be used in the protest held by the plaintiff, to be reported or given permission from relevant officers;

5. To prohibit the three defendants from banning any act that could block roads and traffic, or any act that could disrupt the normal use of public roads, in all the areas used by the plaintiff to organise the protest;

6. To prohibit the three defendants from banning gatherings of five persons or more;

7. To prohibit the three defendants from banning the use of roads or vehicles, or from setting conditions on the use of roads for the purposes of the protest;

8. To prohibit the three defendants from banning the use of buildings by the plaintiff, or banning the plaintiff from entering or residing in any place, or from entering into any areas;

9. To prohibit the three defendants from ordering the plaintiff and the protesters to leave the protest sites, or from banning entry into those areas;

10. To prohibit the three defendants from using force, or authorising the use of force by other officers, to disrupt the protest organised by the defendants

11. To allow the plaintiff and the general public to use or remain in the areas where the Decree is in force;

12. To allow the plaintiff to use roads or vehicles, or to park vehicles in the areas where the Decree is in force.

I sum it up. Or do you want to sue a news media which made the summary. So what is the problem?

Oh so you are now summing up court orders?

And condensing them from 12 to 9?

Which 3 did you combine to sum up?

lol you don't know what you are talking about!

You are making mistakes everywhere.

Sprouting red propaganda and lies and being shown up for it.

lol

Big C is fenced in by the protests- to get into big C (this morning at 11 am) from either direction, you had to walk past a guard checking bags. This is NOT to say that parents should be avoiding areas that the protesters have claimed. To the poster who says he hasn't seen police or army presence-- has he been to Lumphini park coming from Wireless Rd? To the intersection on Phetburi? Silom road (in front of Bangkok Bank)? I counted 12 manned bunkers in my stroll two days ago- though agree- NO police in sight.

I'm afraid the days of pointing fingers are coming to an end- now could begin the bad shit. Debates about 'who started it' will be the priviledge of those living off shore.

Thida's comments today are ominous-- and fully to be expected. People learn the easy way -- or the hard way- that there is a reason for law- for procedure- for dispassionate debate. There is much that happens in Thailand that would not be permitted in more stable countries-- (and let's not get into the nature of Thai culture that treats the law as little more than a tool with which to hammer your enemy when grenades are not available).

Anyone watching events unfold since the airport occupation- and the subsequent consolidation of Thaksin support- knew this would happen- and we will, I fear, see much worse.

Personally I can't understand why the Reds would be engaged in these bombings- unless they are loner cowboys- because in so doing, they are inviting a military coup. And very possibly another Abhisit led government.

The reds have been so far, not villified by the west the way the gov't in Ukraine has been. It makes no sense that they would seek to lose the moral high ground. But-- times like this defy logic--

The Red Shirts are primed and ready to engage in violence, the reaction on their seminar today is a clear indication of their morals vis-a-vis violence and murder.

Don´t understimate years of relentless propaganda, the easiest way to keep people in control is to keep them scared and angry, and their "leaders" have been very busy working on that.

Didn't Suthep promote violence first last week when he told red shirts to come to Bangkok, that he would serve them "popcorn"? And in the same statement, Suthep said that he "liked" the popcorn shooters and their actions.

When judges of court barred law enforcement officers to search rally sites and disperse crowd that violated the rights of the public and clear illegal structures from the middle of the road, lawlessness prevails .

Send from my Mobile

No, the courts upheld the right to peaceful protest.

This is about corruption and fraud, with the down fall of this corrupt government a lot of the Shinawatra's cronies are going to be exposed as crocks, their backs are to the wall, and face loosing their liberty for many years.

Can someone explain to me how the bomb when off in ratchaprasong area?

The tuktuk that was claimed for them bombing, sounds funny! How can a tuk tuk get pass the security barriers that have been for the past 4 months?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I think you guys should tone it down a bit, you'll get ThaiVisa shut down on Thai servers with all your Red v Yellow crap, I dare to venture many of the posts are slanderous.

If you feel so strongly, get your azz off to the protest sites, stop keep endangering the existence of this forum on Thai servers with your childish posts !

Besides, if Thaksin came back and changed the law so that long term Farangs could get 10 years visas with no 90 days reporting, you'd all think he was the best thing since sliced bread.

that sounds like censorship to me!

There are mods on here to control our posts.

And I don't think many Farangs would want Thaskin back - imho the country would not be worth living in anymore with he in control.

16 minutes ago from yingluck on FB. Notice she has not even acknowledged or is not aware of the child that died in Trat. Really sympathetic and in tune with whats going on.

I strongly condemn the use of violence in recent days that has caused many deaths both at Trat Province and especially at Rachaprasong today, which is particularly saddening and disturbing since the lives of children were lost. My deepest [/size]condolences are for the victims who are injured and to the relatives and friends of those who lost their lives. The violent incidents are terrorist acts for political gains without any regard for human lives. The government will not tolerate terrorism and has ordered a full investigation by authorities to find the culprits and bring them to justice without exception.

I would like to ask all sides of the political divide that we may see things differently and there are many ways to express those differences. But the use of violence that lead to deaths are not the civilized way of the living. It is not the way of life of Thais who are naturally considerate and empthatic to fellow citizens, rather than resort to senseless killings. I would like to again call on all sides that it is best to use peaceful means to resolve the political conflict through the democratic process.[/size]

come on, at least she finally said something. And we don't know if she was refering to the children in Trat or not. These things go through so many filters before they get translated (really, this looks like it was written by an adult - when Thai gets translated word for word it always sounds like a 5 year old is talking). She did say children, not child. As far as I know right now, 2 children were murdered in Trat and one today in Bangkok. So she was probably referring to both incidents.

I am not going to argue more excuses which seem to be the flavor of the day for PTP supporters more so today than any other.

In short she is not sincere and for it to go through filters and to be misinterpreted for the world to read highlights that lack of sincerity even more.

What respectable leader of any country sends her condolences on Facebook for 2 major terrorist attacks in 2 days with 3 children dead? Then again what leader of any country gets their orders on Skype!

I would imagine any respectable leader would use Facebook to communicate.

https://www.facebook.com/DavidCameronOfficial

Nothing Yingluck does is going to satisfy you, or no doubt Suthep. Therein lies the problem.

I think the point is that Suthep is using all the media at his disposal and Yingluck is basically using Facebook only.

It appears as if she is afraid to directly face the media.

Why would these people take their kids to rally sites? It's unbelievable.

A responsible mother/father should never do this.

Actually it wasn't in the midst of rally site. It was nearby with many vendors selling food and stuff. People felt safe but shit happened and it is sad.

I've been living in Thailand for 9 years and this is the worst I've seen, killing innocent people and especially children is a big NO!

What is happening to Thailand? They kill their own people. Children are innocent and have no clue what is happening from both sides. Stop this madness!

• Like 2

When judges of court barred law enforcement officers to search rally sites and disperse crowd that violated the rights of the public and clear illegal structures from the middle of the road, lawlessness prevails .

Send from my Mobile

No, the courts upheld the right to peaceful protest.

This is about corruption and fraud, with the down fall of this corrupt government a lot of the Shinawatra's cronies are going to be exposed as crocks, their backs are to the wall, and face loosing their liberty for many years.

In essence, the courts have sanctioned anarchy.

The big bad Suthep blew some hot air and the... ejem... "third hand" just couldn't help to murder a few people. Is that your angle?

Aim_The Nation @Aim_NT

Suthep said Yingluck must be responsible for the violence and that the killers were foreigners. Via @madoodao

If the killers were foreigners, why did the PDRC detain the tuk tuk driver and say he was the bomber?

Cambodian tuk tuk driver perhaps?

Or did the PDRC accuse an innocent Thai just because they can.

They detained the tuk tuk driver because he was right at the blast site. What should they have do? Just let him go without the authorities questioning him?

hmmm... by your reckoning there should be no logical community action. What if the tuk tuk drive was the bomber? And he was allowed to just drive of.

BhJs2jGCQAA0egE.jpg

What I'd like to know is why the PDRC guards are allowed to detain people on a public street.

Rajprasong is a public street and Suthep's PDRC guards are not army or police. Where do they take the right from to detain people at their will? Am I allowed also to go out onto the streets and detain people that I consider a threat?

Is there a law that gives PDRC guards the right to detain people?

Again you avoid the question... Should they have let a suspected bomber simply go?

Would you have let the tuk tuk driver walk / drive off?

I am not going to argue more excuses which seem to be the flavor of the day for PTP supporters more so today than any other.

In short she is not sincere and for it to go through filters and to be misinterpreted for the world to read highlights that lack of sincerity even more.

What respectable leader of any country sends her condolences on Facebook for 2 major terrorist attacks in 2 days with 3 children dead? Then again what leader of any country gets their orders on Skype!

Nothing Yingluck does is going to satisfy you, or no doubt Suthep. Therein lies the problem.

You are joking right?

I didn't say communicate. I said to send condolences. Why does everything need to be spelt out to you guys. You won't see David Cameron post a FB message on terrorist attacks before he does a televised speech.

You guys are really reaching.

I think its perfectly reasonable to issue a statement via Facebook.

As of August 2013 there were 24 million Thai Facebook users

The statement will reach more people more quickly than disseminating through traditional media.

• Like 1

The police are very nervous in breaking the rules the recent civil court judges.

http://thailand.prd.go.th/view_news.php?id=7132&a=2

It's noteworthy that the court opinion translation provided in the above link uses as its justification in ruling against the police and the government that the anti-government protests have been "peaceful and unarmed' -- which in fact they generally have been when not confronted by the police or Red Shirts.

Thus, apart from the actual ruling lacking any language that would prevent perimeter police checkpoints aimed at preventing weapons and explosives into the area, it's kind of hard to imagine the judges would take offense at the authorities preventing weapons being taken into "peaceful and unarmed" protests.

BTW, are those the same "very nervous" police and CMPO officials who first claimed the ruling would have no effect on their duties, and later started devising various schemes to either avoid the order or have it overturned on appeal...

Hahaha, you don't know sarcasm. Take it easy. Lets have the same type of the dem's pdrc/pcad peaceful and unarmed protests. May be we should start with surrounding the courts and independence agencies' offices and demand judges and officials to stop works in order to join the peaceful protest. Occupy their buildings and have coffee with them, breakfast, lunch dinner on the house,

Oh yes, protest stages in front of their door steps and in the middle of the roads leading to these places. When police come to negotiate, blew them away and when they enforce the rule of law, let the popcorn distributors take over.

Don't forget, senators election coming up, why not block the registration, distribution of ballot box and paper. Get physical at voters who dare to turn up to vote.. Anyone or group try to help with the distribution of ballot box and paper, the popcorn sprayers can help them eat popcorn.

These are peaceful activities, you know.

Almost forgot, we can always blame it on the RS/UDD and Thaksin and get away with all these fun activities.

Wow, lot of laughter. With all the spinning on the latest methods of 'peaceful, unarmed protest'. Very creative, so amazing. Hope the dem or its pdrc/pcad or the bluesky will not patent it and start asking for copyright or patent right fees. Very confusing, among them, who has the right? May be they should ask the court for a ruling.

Edited by icommunity

Huh, very tired and sleepy already. You can find it from my reply to some posters here.

Now explain how the court ruling is the reason why anti-government protesters are murdered.

So you are accusing that some one murdered the anti-government protesters.

My version is

When judges of court barred law enforcement officers to search rally sites and disperse crowd that violated the rights of the public and clear illegal structures from the middle of the road, lawlessness prevails.

You do realize that is a completely spineless answer, do you? Man up, drop the innuendo, say what you really mean.

Sorry I thought we had cleared that up.

The courts in fact DID NOT bar law enforcement officers from searching rally sites.

They did prohibit them from removing barricades.

They DID NOT prohibit the police from dispersing protesters (they just can't use force).

READ THE 12 COURT ORDERS!

What I'd like to know is why the PDRC guards are allowed to detain people on a public street.

Rajprasong is a public street and Suthep's PDRC guards are not army or police. Where do they take the right from to detain people at their will? Am I allowed also to go out onto the streets and detain people that I consider a threat?

Again you avoid the question... Should they have let a suspected bomber simply go?

I would not arrest a suspected bomber, because I am not the army, police or otherwise authorized to arrest people under the law.

According to news reports, the tuk tuk driver has now been released, so that means his arrest was not only illegal but also unjustified.

Is it acceptable for you to have an armed militia running around Bangkok arresting people at their will?

Just for the record...

BhJ4bmJCMAAwSZL.jpg

The police are very nervous in breaking the rules the recent civil court judges.

Which order would that be? What number?

Here we go again.

I think it's #5:

5. To prohibit the three defendants from banning any act that could block roads and traffic, or any act that could disrupt the normal use of public roads, in all the areas used by the plaintiff to organise the protest;

The police were clearly blocking the PDRC walking street aka. picnic zone.

Only the PDRC are allowed to block streets according to the court order, not the police.

Are you serious?

I mean are you really serious??

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Please explain how you come to that conclusion?

I don't know - you are the one saying it.

Please provide direct evidence or retract your statement and apologize.

I would not arrest a suspected bomber, because I am not the army, police or otherwise authorized to arrest people under the law.

According to news reports, the tuk tuk driver has now been released, so that means his arrest was not only illegal but also unjustified.

Is it acceptable for you to have an armed militia running around Bangkok arresting people at their will?

No but when the authorities aren't doing their job, people have no choice but to do their jobs for them. Countless bomb and gun attacks on protestors since the protests started. Are the police any closer to actually catching anyone?

Which order would that be? What number?

Here we go again.

I think it's #5:

The police were clearly blocking the PDRC walking street aka. picnic zone.

Only the PDRC are allowed to block streets according to the court order, not the police.

Are you serious?

I mean are you really serious??

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Please explain how you come to that conclusion?

I was being sarcastic wink.png

• Like 1

Why would these people take their kids to rally sites? It's unbelievable.

A responsible mother/father should never do this.

It's been a peaceful afternoon in front of a major shopping mall in Bangkok. Why wouldn't there be families?

Because the shop is inside the blocked intersection. And the afternoon was not peaceful.

Why would you bring small children to those intersections that are blocked by protestors? Every week a couple of people die there from grenades or gunfire

Sent from my GT-I9152 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You are really incorrect. In any civilized society, when a criminal does something in full view like that, he or she will be detained by bystanders if possible until the police arrive. The problem in this country is that the police never arrive.

A PM that runs the country through Facebook - maybe that sets the standard of coming generations of politicians.

It seems to set the standards for want-to-be dictators too:

http://www.facebook.com/PDRCThailand

The guy makes appearance in public EVERY day.....

So does Yingluck ..

Ummm... not quite true.

BP story headline "Yingluck comes out of hiding" on their homepage still.

More red propaganda and lies...

Do you know telling the truth is honesty always the best policy.

You are joking right?

I didn't say communicate. I said to send condolences. Why does everything need to be spelt out to you guys. You won't see David Cameron post a FB message on terrorist attacks before he does a televised speech.

You guys are really reaching.

I think its perfectly reasonable to issue a statement via Facebook.

As of August 2013 there were 24 million Thai Facebook users

The statement will reach more people more quickly than disseminating through traditional media.

Utter nonsense....do you know the demographic of FB users? The government has a responsibility to reach all citizens. By all means use FB AS WELL AS traditional media but to use nothing else makes her look like a joke. Sorry, she already did that many times without the assisrance of FB..

• Like 1

No but when the authorities aren't doing their job, people have no choice but to do their jobs for them. Countless bomb and gun attacks on protestors since the protests started. Are the police any closer to actually catching anyone?

No, they aren't ...but what is worse? Catching nobody? Or arresting and blaming an innocent tuk tuk driver?

He's lucky he didn't get killed on the spot by the PDRC guard.

The PDRC guards have beaten taxi drivers unconscious and shot at cars who took a wrong turn in the middle of the night.

I don't think people taking the law into their own hands is good for Thailand at this time.

We need order, not anarchy.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Can someone explain to me how the bomb when off in ratchaprasong area?

The tuktuk that was claimed for them bombing, sounds funny! How can a tuk tuk get pass the security barriers that have been for the past 4 months?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

From what I've read, it was a M79 grenade launched from some way away and therefore indiscriminate.