Hungry in the night

h90

Situation:

I lost more than 20 kg (maybe 24) in a "no" carb diet.

I started to exercise a lot and after the diet I gained roughly 4 kg (water and some muscle) and added some carbs.

I got recommended musli and oatmeal. So I eat every day in the morning a small musli with oatmeal and protein. But my diet is still low carbs, but having some.

I usually eat a lot meat or eggs in the evening. But now I wake up between 2-4AM because of terrible low blood sugar. So I just eat the breakfast than and go sleeping again. And than eat no breakfast.

It would normally need a lot willpower to not binge eating just everything I can find.....just the good thing is we don't have anything sweet at home, or any ready made unhealthy food. Well we would have Mama Noodles but it never even came into my mind that this is food.

Part of the problem is the hard exercise and that the muscles suck in a lot sugar afterwards.

I tried to drink a big protein drink and 2 apples direct before going sleeping: it doesn't change anything.

Any idea how to stop that before it gets a habit?

Edit to add: half sleeping in the middle of the night isn't my peak time of will power......but of course when I know it will happen I can be prepared.....

Edited by h90

h90

i found this for you

Blood sugar falls at night, and the body relies on the glucose stored in the liver as glycogen for energy, and hypothyroid people store very little sugar. As a result, adrenalin and cortisol begin to rise almost as soon as a person goes to bed, and in hypothyroid people, they rise very high, with the adrenalin usually peaking around 1 or 2 A.M., and the cortisol peaking around dawn; the high cortisol raises blood sugar as morning approaches, and allows adrenalin to decline. Some people wake up during the adrenalin peak with a pounding heart, and have trouble getting back to sleep unless they eat something.

kevvy

Edited by kevvy

h90

i found this for you

Blood sugar falls at night, and the body relies on the glucose stored in the liver as glycogen for energy, and hypothyroid people store very little sugar. As a result, adrenalin and cortisol begin to rise almost as soon as a person goes to bed, and in hypothyroid people, they rise very high, with the adrenalin usually peaking around 1 or 2 A.M., and the cortisol peaking around dawn; the high cortisol raises blood sugar as morning approaches, and allows adrenalin to decline. Some people wake up during the adrenalin peak with a pounding heart, and have trouble getting back to sleep unless they eat something.

kevvy

Thanks a lot!

the strange thing is, I never had this before I started to eat breakfast....Before I never ate something before lunch....

Of course the heavy exercise will add to the problem....the muscles want to store glycogen and the liver does not release enough.

I'll cook some eggs and try if I can cheat my way with 2 eggs and an apple instead of full size musli....

Or maybe it goes away if I just ignore it for 30 min.

When I stopped smoking I played video games....if you focus your mind on the game, you (or at least me) have not enough processing power to think for anything else -->forget about smoking, hungry, sex or just about everything else.....

Edited by h90
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

For snacks, I've found boiled eggs (2 for 15 Baht @ 7-11) pretty amazing.

Try that!

Meanwhile I have indeed boiled eggs (but would never get the idea to buy them at 7/11). On the other hand I am currently aiming to gain weight with heavy muscle training. So it is OK to eat in the night.

I eat a big sugar free Musli with non fat milk and and 30 gram Protein powder, if I wake up hungry.