Divided Thailand faces warnings of civil war

webfact

Splitting the country is not such a bad idea.

Like Ukraine.

This is so wrong. The country needs to be healed, not split. How can the north and northeast (which is what I am guessing you mean) survive with relatively little indistrial infrastructure and no main means of creating national income. The area would also be landlocked, which would hamper development. The south would not be able to survive anything like as well if it loses the Isaan 'rice bowl'.

The two areas would sink fast (the north and north-east fastest, I grant you).

I have yet to speak to a single Thai person who wants the to see the nation split up. My Thai friends in the capital and in Issan all love the sovereign very-important-person for example, and are patriotic to be a part of Thailand the whole nation, proud of the culture and identity of this great nation. I mix with normal worker Thais and I don't know any extremists here, and in my opinion its only the extremists, media, and casual observers who think dividing Thailand is realistic or useful.

Most people I know want to see an end to division along urban/rural, rich/poor and north/south lines, they want less division not more division.

You are NOW speaking to one who wants the to see the nation split up.

Just like Czechoslovakia.

Edited by Suriya4

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"We must be ready to come to Bangkok within 24 hours for one purpose... to protect democracy," senior Red Shirt leader Nattawut Saikuar said at a press conference Tuesday.

The Reds will stage rallies over the coming weekends in the northeast as a show of strength, he added.

Protect democracy? Stage rallies. You guys weren't very democratic when you guys prevented the farmers from rallying this morning were you?

It's funny that AFP mentions 'violent incidence' conveniently ignoring the fact that thse 'violent incidences' were mostly directed at the protestors on a daily basis. The protestors have more or less been peaceful but whoever is responsible for attacking them daily is obviously not.

yes of course to 'protect democracy' you think the fascist Suthep will 'protect democracy'? where is Suthep's plans? reforms? who makes up the fascist Council? we don't know anything about his 'alternative to democracy'

only we must trust Suthep

let the people decide at an ELECTION - that's the democratic way

PS I'm against violence and will condemn it on EITHER side as should we all - good piece from AFP

You are easy to call Suthep a facist.

Last time I looked it is the anti-Suthep crowd using typical fascist means to curb the Suthep crowd.

I can only conclude you have no idea at all what fascism implies.

• Like 1

As far as I can tell, a military coup followed by minor electoral reform followed by a return to power for the redshirts is pretty much the new normal. So why on earth would anyone outside the lunatic fringes even get involved in a civil war? People talk about checks and balances, but here we have one of the clearest check and balance this side of a cartoon. It's a massive joke and it makes Thailand look politically stupid and irrelevant.

Edited by weecree

Did UDD co-leader and agricultural expert caretaker Dept. Minister of Commerce Nattawut also mention (again) "it'll be on me" ?

Since when is an acting caretaker minister allowed to lead protests ?

When his bail conditions allow it. Strange that they allow him to incite civil unrest, again.

I guess k. Nattawut only spoke as UDD co-leader, but not as caretaker Dept. Minister for Agriculture and certainly not as former MP. Must be difficult at times to remember which hat he's wearing this time.wink.png

Splitting the country is not such a bad idea.

Like Ukraine.

This is so wrong. The country needs to be healed, not split. How can the north and northeast (which is what I am guessing you mean) survive with relatively little indistrial infrastructure and no main means of creating national income. The area would also be landlocked, which would hamper development. The south would not be able to survive anything like as well if it loses the Isaan 'rice bowl'.

The two areas would sink fast (the north and north-east fastest, I grant you).

I have yet to speak to a single Thai person who wants the to see the nation split up. My Thai friends in the capital and in Issan all love the sovereign very-important-person for example, and are patriotic to be a part of Thailand the whole nation, proud of the culture and identity of this great nation. I mix with normal worker Thais and I don't know any extremists here, and in my opinion its only the extremists, media, and casual observers who think dividing Thailand is realistic or useful.

Most people I know want to see an end to division along urban/rural, rich/poor and north/south lines, they want less division not more division.

following we'll see a mass re-migration of Isaan people from Bangkok back to their home country as they suddenly needed passports, visa and workpermits. Now that outflow would surely solve Bangkok's traffic problem. Should we thank k. Thaksin for finally making good on his promise from 1996 when he was Dept. Minister for Interior?

Edited by rubl
  • Like 1

Civil war fear it's just a scarecrow to push all side to dialogue,

Taksin no have means for this :

This is an analyst of Tony Cartalucci reporter and searcher in political science based in Bangkok, for the source follow the like in end of this extract :

Le nombre de partisans armés que Thaksin pourrait mobiliser en Thaïlande pour mener effectivement une «guerre civile» n’est pas suffisant. Sur les 10.000 à 30.000 partisans qu’il est en mesure de mobiliser rapidement comme en 2010, seulement environ 1000 pourraient être considérés comme fanatiques, et pas tous sont prêts, ou physiquement aptes à prendre les armes contre les ennemis de M. Thaksin.

Thaksin a aussi recours à des mercenaires professionnels, issus des unités paramilitaires à la frontière dans le nord et nord-est, mais ceux-ci n’ont jamais été plus de 300 et ont été facilement dispersés par l’armée thaïlandaise en 2010.
Translation
The number of armed supporters Thaksin in Thailand could mobilize to effectively lead a "civil war" is not enough. About 10,000 to 30,000 supporters that he is able to mobilize rapidly as in 2010, only about 1,000 could be regarded as fanatics, and not all are willing or physically able to take up arms against the enemies of Thaksin.
Thaksin also uses professional mercenaries from paramilitary units to the border in the north and northeast, but they were never more than 300 and were easily dispersed by the Thai army in 2010.
  • Like 1

Perhaps the army should summon all the PDRC and red shirt leaders into a room and don't let them out until they come to some accord.

Both sides want what's best for the country, they just have different ideas on what that is but the fact that they have a common goal means they should still be able to talk it out; Besides, if I am wrong then they won't come to any accord and the problem would seem to solve itself.

• Like 1

So have any of you on this board thought about what you would do if a civil war were to start ?

Do you believe you would be safe ?

Might pay to think about it.

I have been considering moving out of BKK for some time now to where my gf and future wife has her home in Ubon. Should be pretty peaceful and quiet there since if there is a civil war, most of the trouble should be in the BKK area it would seem to me.

In a democracy you vote for people and those elected, form a government.

It doesn't work in Thailand, because the rich don't like those elected.

At the moment the rich control the army.

While the army has the final say, Thailand can't be a democracy.

What you fail too mention is that government should be ope, transparent, accountable, moral and work for the WHOLE of the population.

PTP and Yingluck fail on all of those counts.

Winning an election does NOT give ANY government carte blanche to do what it likes although the current caretaker government believes that it does.

The rather ill informed comments from Thais who have not really though out a civil war.

Does anybody really think that the RTA for all its inexperience of modern combat can be seriously challenged by the second largest armed group or irregulars with pistols,grenades even and home made pipe bombs etc.

Whatever the causes ,merts of the politics force majeure will out.

By definition a civil war is internal how the local forces would fare against Burma China Al Qaeda is moot but irrelevant.

Bogeyman,false dichotomy

The ogre of a civil war is used by lazy journos who have little experience.If we look as far as Cambodia,Laos or Vietnam we can learn that civil wars had large armed factions backed by differing US Chinese paymasters.

A better crorollary is not hard to find and a sad but moe likely outcome.The lack of political consensus between the haves who pay taxes outnumbered by the have nots who labour,interestingly almost exactly reflected by skin tone will continue.

Armed tensions may well continue in places as different as Spain,Algeria,Lebanon,Colombia there have been decades of low level but vicious violence.Even here in the deep south where despite coercion and all the force of the state daily life is scarred by regular outrages.

A peace process that is Internationalized has worked in Bosnia,Timor Leste and Cyprus sadly I persuaded that the land of the free is unwilling to learn from foreign exemplars believing that local ways are the best.This folly need not lead to civil war unless the army or country splits more likely to decades of the low level violence that justifies repression,large arms budgets and limits to press media and personal liberty.This may indeed be part of the agenda.A study of the Jacobites and the hero over the sea is instructive.Of course once the great transition occurs all bets are off.

• Like 1

Lovely. You can be my first, and the exception-to-the-rule.

I will also take your word for it that you are of Thai birth and living here, since that was my point, that none of my Thai friends would support splitting the nation for any reason. They are of different minds regarding the South, some think it should have autonomy just to create some peace, others don't think this. But all of them agree that the rest of Thailand should always remain a single sovereign nation, for reasons of history, culture, unity and also from a purely economic perspective. Also if you think corruption is bad now you can multiply that by every new regional government which will have even less regulation than we see in the capital. The whole idea is very flawed, in my humble opinion.

Tell me WHY the politicians in Thailand refuse to talk with eachother. Tell me WHY the rebel. hooligan Mr. Suthep is still regarded a hero, although he - and HE alone - is responsible for the killing and wounded people. HE refuses to talk. HE wants to rule over Thailand with a minority govenment/dictatorship. Parties that have lost all elections in the last 10 years cannot claim that they speak for the people. YES, something is wrong in the Thai society. Corruption is a problem, old Aristocracy is a problem, sharing of wealth and power in the country is a problem. The dominance of Bangkokian politics is a problem. BUT there is so much good to fight for. Responsible politicians should get to the conference table and talk, negotiate, compromise and find win-win solutions and above all show vision. And moreover respect the democratic process, which does not mean that the winner-takes-all !! Also in a democracy the winner takes the interests of minorities into consideration. At th moment there are no winners, only loosers. For some arrogant politicians this is regarded as a gameplay. Forget that......you don't play with the lives of people. Thailand wake up. Choose responsible leaders, work together for a better future and don't stand by with a smile on your face while your contry is going down the drain. This anarchy should end on short term otherwise chaos is awaiting you. Don't let that happen. CHOKDEE

Edited by jayjay49

Tell me WHY the politicians in Thailand refuse to talk with eachother. Tell me WHY the rebel. hooligan Mr. Suthep is still regarded a hero, although he - and HE alone - is responsible for the killing and wounded people. HE refuses to talk. HE wants to rule over Thailand with a minority govenment/dictatorship. Parties that have lost all elections in the last 10 years cannot claim that they speak for the people. YES, something is wrong in Thaio society. Corruption is a problem, old Aristocracy is a problem, sharing of wealth and power in the country is a problem. The dominance of Bangkokian politics is a problem. BUT there is so much good to fight for. Responsible politicians should get to the conference table and talk, negotiate, compromise and find win-win solutions and above all show vision. And moreover respect the democratic process, which does not mean that the winner-takes-all !! Also in a democracy the winner takes the interests of minorities into consideration. At th moment there are no winners, only loosers. For some arrogant politicians this is regarded as a gameplay. Forget that......you don't play with the lives of people. Thailand wake up. Choose responsible leaders, work together for a better future and don't stand by with a smile on your face while your contry is going down the drain. This anarchy should end on short term otherwise chaos is awaiting you. Don't let that happen. CHOKDEE

I agree with the stuff you wrote about about choosing responsible leaders, working together and supporting the democratic process.

Tell me WHY the rebel. hooligan Mr. Suthep is still regarded a hero, although he - and HE alone - is responsible for the killing and wounded people

But this is way over the top. We don't know any of the shooters or bombers so far, I have not seen any conclusive evidence or fair legal trials against anyone engaged in shooting and bombing. The truth is that we don't know who ordered the bombings and shootings, how many groups are involved in this situation, or the identities of the actual attackers. It is all speculation so far. I totally disagree with Suthep on his Ruling Assembly idea, and I think he should not have changed the peaceful amnesty-protest movement into an overthrow movement. I think he should have backed down ages ago. But I haven't seen any evidence pointing to him being responsible for the deaths. I get the feeling there are more than two groups involved, but even that is speculation. This battle is not about politics it is all about wealth and control, and as such there may be many groups active in this greedgrab.

No one can predict the future, but I see Thailand in its current state as a powder keg, just awaiting the spark to set off a very nasty and bloody conflict. Most of my friends tell me I am wrong- and in this situation- I hope they are correct.

The longer this goes on, the greater the chance of civil war, IMHO.

Most Westerners feel totally safe here in Thailand, in large part to our inability to read the signals of danger. By the time we realize we are at risk, its too late...

If a civil war were to break out, I'm not convinced that foreigners would be totally exempted.

Tell me WHY the politicians in Thailand refuse to talk with eachother. Tell me WHY the rebel. hooligan Mr. Suthep is still regarded a hero, although he - and HE alone - is responsible for the killing and wounded people. HE refuses to talk. HE wants to rule over Thailand with a minority govenment/dictatorship. Parties that have lost all elections in the last 10 years cannot claim that they speak for the people. YES, something is wrong in Thaio society. Corruption is a problem, old Aristocracy is a problem, sharing of wealth and power in the country is a problem. The dominance of Bangkokian politics is a problem. BUT there is so much good to fight for. Responsible politicians should get to the conference table and talk, negotiate, compromise and find win-win solutions and above all show vision. And moreover respect the democratic process, which does not mean that the winner-takes-all !! Also in a democracy the winner takes the interests of minorities into consideration. At th moment there are no winners, only loosers. For some arrogant politicians this is regarded as a gameplay. Forget that......you don't play with the lives of people. Thailand wake up. Choose responsible leaders, work together for a better future and don't stand by with a smile on your face while your contry is going down the drain. This anarchy should end on short term otherwise chaos is awaiting you. Don't let that happen. CHOKDEE

I agree with the stuff you wrote about about choosing responsible leaders, working together and supporting the democratic process.

Tell me WHY the rebel. hooligan Mr. Suthep is still regarded a hero, although he - and HE alone - is responsible for the killing and wounded people

But this is way over the top. We don't know any of the shooters or bombers so far, I have not seen any conclusive evidence or fair legal trials against anyone engaged in shooting and bombing. The truth is that we don't know who ordered the bombings and shootings, how many groups are involved in this situation, or the identities of the actual attackers. It is all speculation so far. I totally disagree with Suthep on his Ruling Assembly idea, and I think he should not have changed the peaceful amnesty-protest movement into an overthrow movement. I think he should have backed down ages ago. But I haven't seen any evidence pointing to him being responsible for the deaths. I get the feeling there are more than two groups involved, but even that is speculation. This battle is not about politics it is all about wealth and control, and as such there may be many groups active in this greedgrab.

But Yunla, tell me WHY. I'm Dutch and saw it coming a few months ago, perhaps already a few years ago. I've been visiting Thailand now for 8 years, married with a Thai. I see the Thai standing by, watching how their country is being destroyed. It's sad that some things are not allowed to be openly discussed in the country, although Thailand wants to call itself a free democray!! Understand that democracy does not mean that the winner-takes-ALL !I would say Thai look at the monarchy in the Netherlands and see how that has evolved and it still is a beautiful binding factor for the country. That aspect cannot be discussed in Thailand? Look at all forums what is being discussed and gossiped at this moment...........it's sad to read what is being stated anonymously. Some charismatic leader has to stand up in the country and bring people together and look for win-win solutions. It's so sad to see this happen to what was once called the country-of-the-smile. And I don't know if you are Thai, but I notice that Thai are not used yet to debate about politics, to discuss, to share opinions, listen to each other. I have the feeling Thai walk away from confronting discussions. Dutch talk too much perhaps, but sometimes it's the only way to make progress. I'm sad, very sad about the signs that I now hear and read. Good luck Thailand.

But Yunla, tell me WHY. I'm Dutch and saw it coming a few months ago, perhaps already a few years ago. I've been visiting Thailand now for 8 years, married with a Thai. I see the Thai standing by, watching how their country is being destroyed. It's sad that some things are not allowed to be openly discussed in the country, although Thailand wants to call itself a free democray!! Understand that democracy does not mean that the winner-takes-ALL !I would say Thai look at the monarchy in the Netherlands and see how that has evolved and it still is a beautiful binding factor for the country. That aspect cannot be discussed in Thailand? Look at all forums what is being discussed and gossiped at this moment...........it's sad to read what is being stated anonymously. Some charismatic leader has to stand up in the country and bring people together and look for win-win solutions. It's so sad to see this happen to what was once called the country-of-the-smile. And I don't know if you are Thai, but I notice that Thai are not used yet to debate about politics, to discuss, to share opinions, listen to each other. I have the feeling Thai walk away from confronting discussions. Dutch talk too much perhaps, but sometimes it's the only way to make progress. I'm sad, very sad about the signs that I now hear and read. Good luck Thailand.

Yes it is a very sad situation.

My motto here is "I have no vote, don't want to vote, and there's nobody worth voting for."

Thailand needs new moderate mainstream parties who occupy the centre-ground and are directed at tackling Thailand's enormous infrastructure and regulatory system problems. Neither of the main parties has proposed or enacted any world-changing policies on those two major issues. Both parties have very suspicious interests, and court cases hanging over them.

The "white shirt" people are the ones who are stating they do not agree with Dem or PTP, and just want the factionalism and petty fighting to stop. Those people are the best hope we've got, middle-ground advocates who put the safety of the public first, and who demand changes within a democratic framework. We are still waiting for political parties to emerge in the mainstream who represent this common-sense majority in the centre of the political sphere.

I also agree with you that constitutional monarchy systems are very good for providing democracy while retaining a sense of sovereignty and national pride, as well as a "binding factor" as you so eloquently said.

We can only pray that common-sense wins the day here, it seems to be a mainstream feeling now that most people are plain sick of the Dem/PTP circus and want the nation to move on and forget about the whole bitter factionalism which is hamstringing this great nation's development.

coffee1.gif

Edited by Yunla

"We must be ready to come to Bangkok within 24 hours for one purpose... to protect democracy," senior Red Shirt leader Nattawut Saikuar said at a press conference Tuesday.

The Reds will stage rallies over the coming weekends in the northeast as a show of strength, he added.

Protect democracy? Stage rallies. You guys weren't very democratic when you guys prevented the farmers from rallying this morning were you?

It's funny that AFP mentions 'violent incidence' conveniently ignoring the fact that thse 'violent incidences' were mostly directed at the protestors on a daily basis. The protestors have more or less been peaceful but whoever is responsible for attacking them daily is obviously not.

yes of course to 'protect democracy' you think the fascist Suthep will 'protect democracy'? where is Suthep's plans? reforms? who makes up the fascist Council? we don't know anything about his 'alternative to democracy'

only we must trust Suthep

let the people decide at an ELECTION - that's the democratic way

PS I'm against violence and will condemn it on EITHER side as should we all - good piece from AFP

You are easy to call Suthep a facist.

Last time I looked it is the anti-Suthep crowd using typical fascist means to curb the Suthep crowd.

I can only conclude you have no idea at all what fascism implies.

Read and weep - or in your case jump for joy.

"Fascism seeks to build a mass movement of everyone considered part of the

national community, actively engaged but controlled from above, to seize

political power and remake the social order. This movement is driven by a

vision of the national community rising phoenix-like after a period of

encroaching decadence which all but destroyed it. Such rebirth involves

systematic, top-down transformation of all social spheres by an

authoritarian state, and suppression or purging of all forces, ideologies,

and social groups the fascists define as alien."

http://kasamaproject.org/history/2076-8fascism-as-movement-ideology

Now pleeease ask me how the above quote relates directly to the recent "purifying" campaign led by Suthep for the purpose of seizing state power by preventing a legitimate election, then trying to nullify it, of appointing an unelected and still anonymous "People's Council," which would implement unidentified "reforms" over an extended period of time; and which will purge the country of certain rival families or clans, would rewrite a "pure" constitution that would deliver "absolute" democracy resulting in all Thais living happily forever after.

"Whether the power and wealth agent that takes the place of government is a local baron, lord, or corporation, if it has greater power in the lives of individuals than does a representative government, the culture has dissolved into feudalism. The feudal system means the rigorous economic subjection of a host of humble folk to a few powerful men. This doesn't mean the end of government, but, instead the subordination of government to the interest of the feudal lords."

Yes it is a very sad situation.

My motto here is "I have no vote, don't want to vote, and there's nobody worth voting for."

Thailand needs new moderate mainstream parties who occupy the centre-ground and are directed at tackling Thailand's enormous infrastructure and regulatory system problems. Neither of the main parties has proposed or enacted any world-changing policies on those two major issues. Both parties have very suspicious interests, and court cases hanging over them.

The "white shirt" people are the ones who are stating they do not agree with Dem or PTP, and just want the factionalism and petty fighting to stop. Those people are the best hope we've got, middle-ground advocates who put the safety of the public first, and who demand changes within a democratic framework. We are still waiting for political parties to emerge in the mainstream who represent this common-sense majority in the centre of the political sphere.

I also agree with you that constitutional monarchy systems are very good for providing democracy while retaining a sense of sovereignty and national pride, as well as a "binding factor" as you so eloquently said.

We can only pray that common-sense wins the day here, it seems to be a mainstream feeling now that most people are plain sick of the Dem/PTP circus and want the nation to move on and forget about the whole bitter factionalism which is hamstringing this great nation's development.

coffee1.gif

Thanks Yunla for sharing your opinion, although I don't understand your motto. For me that's a very sad, fatalistic motto. The democratic process requires that people VOTE, but I cannot / shouldnot compare the Thai democray yet with the Dutch one. Democracy needs to evolve, reforms are required but cannot happen overnight and should also be the result of natural proces.

My 95 old mother-in-law is asking when we will visit again smile.png, but I'm hesitant, even afraid, even for myself. I'm been sitting on the roads many times - with a candle in my hands - celebrating the King's birthday with great respect and joy and admiring the love of (All) the Thai for their country and Royal Family, but I start seeing it with other eyes now, and regret that awareness. It looks like I awake from the story of the "Timemachine" by H.G.Wells. I don't remember ll right now, but it as about the people above and under the ground, the Eloi and Morlock. And paradise was not what it seemed like. I got banned/censored myself from entering respectfull and argumented opinions in The Bangkok Post. It feels strange why I feel so much passion in wishing the best for Thailand and the Thai. smile.png .........let it be. I wish you all the best, take care!!

Edited by jayjay49

Thai politics is complicated! Who benefits from a civil war?

If you could kill all the entrenched elite, almost everyone else would benefit.

French revolution springs to mind. From the absolutely convincing source of watching the film Les Miserables, I seem to recall the times after the revolution weren't exactly bliss, though.

No one can predict the future, but I see Thailand in its current state as a powder keg, just awaiting the spark to set off a very nasty and bloody conflict. Most of my friends tell me I am wrong- and in this situation- I hope they are correct.

The longer this goes on, the greater the chance of civil war, IMHO.

Most Westerners feel totally safe here in Thailand, in large part to our inability to read the signals of danger. By the time we realize we are at risk, its too late...

If a civil war were to break out, I'm not convinced that foreigners would be totally exempted.

Your not wrong ,xenophobia will be stoked by all sides and rabble rousers will look for easy scapegoats.

However don't worry about exemption the performing Seals will be able to draw on the US armchair Vietvets and Afghan bushwackers.

Meanwhile the British brigade of special services BS specialists are so numerous they may counter the Falang foreign legion.

Fortunately the very qualities of indigenous indolence,tardiness and inability to behave with foreward planning means there will not be large numbers of locals lining up to sacrifice during opening hours.

Sadly for slow learners the powers that be have to slap down a few hundred repeatedly to remind those who get uppity who wears the trousers.Rather like mole hunting,raise head slap down repeat ad nausehub.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzraxyPH_A8

Why is it so difficult for Thais to come to grips of acting normal and just F;;;K of home or protest like normal people without the violence, and vote for a new government,,,,,,,,,,,,,Why isn't the army helping the police to breakup and avoid all the mobbing and violence where are they it does not matter yellow or red, break up the mobbing and send them home. There is no need for a civil war if the army and police work together ,If they Don't it will stuff up the whole country.

Thai politics is complicated! Who benefits from a civil war?

If you could kill all the entrenched elite, almost everyone else would benefit.

French revolution springs to mind. From the absolutely convincing source of watching the film Les Miserables, I seem to recall the times after the revolution weren't exactly bliss, though.

... and then came Napoleon.

Why is it so difficult for Thais to come to grips of acting normal and just F;;;K of home or protest like normal people without the violence, and vote for a new government,,,,,,,,,,,,,Why isn't the army helping the police to breakup and avoid all the mobbing and violence where are they it does not matter yellow or red, break up the mobbing and send them home. There is no need for a civil war if the army and police work together ,If they Don't it will stuff up the whole country.

They act normal from a Thai point of view.