I guess you have never seen roadside urine drug test. I have.

Loles

I know (and had to accept) in Asia and also in Thailand the life is cheap and the human rights are not so well, but this was a bit much to my eyes.

The locality: Bangkok, Sinakarin road, between Ramkamheng and Patthanakhan, when there is a big empty land in roadside.

The time: around a week ago, weekday, 2 pm.

Characters: many police officers ctr. many messengers and pickup car drivers (this time motorbike taxi guys and taxi drivers weren't bothered).

The target: urine drug test for marijuana and ya-baa.

Human rights: ((Zero + Zero)*Zero)/Zero = ...

The procedure: the police stopped every messengers and pickup car drivers and took their licenses + bike/car keys to a big paperbox as usually they do it. These poor guys had to stand in a long queue and off course they waited on the sunny side, the police in nice shadow. After that had to piss to a plastic tumbler but all other mates and all police officers could see clearly his d_ck, and also could see them the near bus stop's full public, the distance was around 25 - 30 meters. I didn't see there any charged woman.

My view this was a disgusting and humiliating procedure.

Why?

The target was OK, no-one misses idiot drug drivers in BKK traffic BUT why didn't make a small folding to hide them from public area and from other charged mates? Off-course to avoid the cheating, one, two or ten police officers (who likes to see d_ck) could check the urination process directly.

This procedure has injured not only charged drivers but the passers and bus stop public also.

So for the full story, if some-one gave positive test an officer went with him back to his vehicle and placed it to the empty land than had to take a seat inside the big black truck, behind the bars. Off-course the black truck parked on sunny side also and I guess inside were around 60 C or more.

What is your opinion?

Am I too sensitive or this was really under any norm?

Edited by Loles
  • Like 1

When I lived at Sukh. 22, the police came around once a month, stopped the passing people (all pedestrians) and made a body search for drugs. I was searched many times, but the police sergeants were always treating me in a respectful way. I didn't like it, but it was ok.

HOWEVER, to stop people in driving cars and let them urinate under the circumstances OP describes sounds harsh, and I, personally, would immediately after the check leave Thailand for good. This is too much.

Just my opinion.

I don't think this has anything to do with "basic human rights".

Certainly such procedures would violate the rights citizens enjoy in most of our home countries.

However the voters of Thailand seem to feel that the government and police should have much greater rights than what we grant ours, and don't seem to think the rights of individuals are as important.

And that is of course their right.

Most Thais I know were fully supportive of Thaksin's campaign of extra-judicial killings of drug dealers a few years ago. Even when I pointed out it was most likely that only those competing against the police-mafia-connected dealers were those killed, they felt it was a good job done removing at least some of the garbage from society.

Face it, things are different here, and not our place to say the way we handle things back home is actually any "better".

I did not leave my right to be a social critic or have an opinion at the airport. My circle of Thai friends are quite liberal and know that the country is run by repressive idiots.

• Like 2

I don't think this has anything to do with "basic human rights".

Certainly such procedures would violate the rights citizens enjoy in most of our home countries.

However the voters of Thailand seem to feel that the government and police should have much greater rights than what we grant ours, and don't seem to think the rights of individuals are as important.

And that is of course their right.

Most Thais I know were fully supportive of Thaksin's campaign of extra-judicial killings of drug dealers a few years ago. Even when I pointed out it was most likely that only those competing against the police-mafia-connected dealers were those killed, they felt it was a good job done removing at least some of the garbage from society.

Face it, things are different here, and not our place to say the way we handle things back home is actually any "better".

I am pro drugs, but that just does not work here. I am not sure if this is legal or not but I would not argue with a guy with a gun. I am pretty sure they would not test people in the more upscale cars and such. It might really be against the law to do it like this but the lower class does not have the cloud to challenge them anyway and neither have most foreigners.

Perfectly legal here Rob and most Thais are amazed - in fact think it's totally idiotic - if you try to make them understand the limited rights police have back home.

Please don't say things like "most thais' as you (probably) haven't spoken to 51% of the population. Perhaps the locals you associate with don't realize that the cops here are a corrupt and often criminal organization and feel it is "idiotic" to expect limitations on their powers? Most of the locals I associate with are discusted by the police and lawmakers and hold them in contempt.

Edited by daoyai

Perfectly legal here Rob and most Thais are amazed - in fact think it's totally idiotic - if you try to make them understand the limited rights police have back home.

Please don't say things like "most thais' as you (probably) haven't spoken to 51% of the population. Perhaps the locals you associate with don't realize that the cops here are a corrupt and often criminal organization and feel it is "idiotic" to expect limitations on their powers? Most of the locals I associate with are discusted by the police and lawmakers and hold them in contempt.

Say what I like, obviously my perception and opinion, in this case I think very true. I've actually gone to the trouble to discuss this specific issue with large numbers of Thais, including setting students the topic for persuasive-style essay projects and verbal debate.

I haven't met ONE yet that thought NES-style restrictions on police/court powers were a good idea. Of course they know police and officials are contemptible, doesn't translate into a desire to limit their powers vis-à-vis suspected criminals.

Right or wrong, you're talking about a country where people piss behind bus stops or five meters away from the front door of a 7-Eleven. That says something about the standard of privacy here. I.e., the people probably weren't very offended.

I didn't even consider the thought the OP was claiming the 'flashing/nudity' aspect was relevant, that's just laughable. I hope he was just talking about privacy from the POV of unreasonable search and seizure. . .

Edited by wym

I am no legal expert, but the influential guys are always excluded.. could be their cloud or the law. But i take your word for it as I never really looked into it. Also not really worried to test positive.

Right or wrong, you're talking about a country where people piss behind bus stops or five meters away from the front door of a 7-Eleven. That says something about the standard of privacy here. I.e., the people probably weren't very offended.

there is no privacy in Thailand, went to a seminar at a 5 star hotel last week and as there were more women than men, at the break they were walking into the mens toilets(womens full) to have a p*ss and making sure they got a good look at what the guys were doing as well, there are always women in the mens toilets even if they are just the cleaners, you get used to it.

• Like 1

Ya there's a lot of Thai nudist colonies eh?

• Like 2

OK guys, the OP is here. Thanks for your replies.

So I have seen many times (drunk) men piss in public area but this doesn't mean every-one have to show genitalia for public.

This police action wasn't for tea-money I asked my employee (pickup car driver) and he told this kind of drug test is serious if some-one gave positive result has to go police and to face penalty. First and second time this is not so big but later can be really wrong (anyway deserved I guess).

I agree with drug test even to passers also, and even by every day, but this way was a bit harsh and I have seen clearly this was humiliating. Police have handle people as animals.

I have no idea what happens if comes a woman or tommy. What does police do to them? Or this test for men only? Discriminative.

And what if you just come back from California where you had you marijuana medical treatment ?

I think this big suck for you, but if you have paper about it .... may be they say: "solly, solly".

This is a very common practice where I live in Issan.

I feel it is the most honorable thing Thai police do.......trying to stop the ya baa problem.

The big "loop hole " in the program is that females are never tested.

Ya baa use by females can be very high.

Many who work all night dancing or entertaining in bars rely on ya baa to "keep them going".

They too should be peeing in the bottle!