How gullible do they think we are ?

mandee

Just received an appeal to fund the purchase of Baht16,000 worth of handbags (purses) to be bought at Aranyaprathet and sold in local flea market, to "tide over" a girl for two months.

She has no answer to cost of a stall, or selling prices or any answers.

I suggested I could loan (Thai style, rarely repaid) her Baht2000 per week ,assuming she could get some kind of work, until she could get a promised good job in 2 months,

BTW she is not in the sex trade.

This was not found acceptable, and I then found out that a facebook "friend", was in on it.

Suggesting he/she emailed me in Thai or English also rejected.

Do we deserve such contempt ?

I suppose some of us do.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't deserve it but there are a lot of gullible expats over here lonely enough to fall for any scam.

Buying houses for women is one of the favorite ones.crazy.gif

Not sure about your "lonely enough" thing but yes, many cannot see the wood from the trees for sure.

• Like 1

Just received an appeal to fund the purchase of Baht16,000 worth of handbags (purses) to be bought at Aranyaprathet and sold in local flea market, to "tide over" a girl for two months.

She has no answer to cost of a stall, or selling prices or any answers.

I suggested I could loan (Thai style, rarely repaid) her Baht2000 per week ,assuming she could get some kind of work, until she could get a promised good job in 2 months,

BTW she is not in the sex trade.

This was not found acceptable, and I then found out that a facebook "friend", was in on it.

Suggesting he/she emailed me in Thai or English also rejected.

Do we deserve such contempt ?

I suppose some of us do.

It can come gas a shock.

You will be getting along just fine with your "not in the sex trade" sweetie.

Then:

She's been chatting with her friends.

The chat she's had went like this:

"Hey Noi, how's your internet fishing action working out ?"

"Not bad Poo/Terdsack/Guck"

"Great. How much he pay you ?

"We just friends"

"Okay, well Nit can get four thousand every month"

"Really ?"

"Sure. . . . . Here's how YOU can do it too"

"How ?"

Don't take it too personally.

"Sometimes, 'fuggedabowdit' just means fuggedabowdit."

• Like 2

Don't deserve it but there are a lot of gullible expats over here lonely enough to fall for any scam.

Buying houses for women is one of the favorite ones.crazy.gif

Not sure about your "lonely enough" thing but yes, many cannot see the wood from the trees for sure.

lonely sure, low self esteem, lacking a grasp of reality, easily flattered... traits of men, and some women visiting turkey and some african coutries, who make the fundamental mistake of believing money can buy you love.

if you are one of these guys and you dont believe me check it out for yourself; cut off the cash and see how long she stays around. i really hope she does but i would bet my mortgage she'll be in the wind faster than you can say mai me setang...

• Like 1

Very gullible I think!

Just few personal experiences..in 2 years of single life in Chiang Mai..

1) On my first date ever in Thailand, a 42yo hair salon owner took me to a shopping mall for me to buy for her a 6000THB/cellular ...

2) On a first date a 43yo police officer shows me a brochure of new houses for sale in Chiang Mai..over 3 million bath.... saying "if you buy for me today we get married tomorrow"

3) On a first date with a 60yo active school principal, she said that she was looking for an older guy to get married, and to take care...if its will paid the 1 million debt she had....

4) On my first date with a 32yo, she asked for a 25000THB "loan" to buy merchandise for the opening of a restaurant she supposedly was opening that week...

5) On my first date, a 41yo told me that she will be my "exclusive" gik if I give her 20000THB/month.....I called her later to see if I can have another date. She responded that she already got a farang willing to pay her...and do not have time for me...that week.

6) On my first date with a 60yo retired government employee, she said that nothing was left of her retirement money and she was broke, and need a husband to pay her debts, her home mortgage, and her car loan....

My list for "favors" requests in second an third dates is too long to post here.

In compensation..I have a long list of nice dates too....and I am a "Cheap Charlie". Some still good friends, just friends.

I am married with a wonderful woman now.

By the way...I love Thailand!

10 out of 10 for doing your homework. Alas many don't and pay the price.................sad.png

• Like 2

Thai people prefer to talk about the positive, talking about bad experiences represents a loss of face. Ever ask a businessman in Thailand how's business? It's always great.

So when stories go about generous farangs, nobody talks about farangs who didn't buy this or that, just the farangs who paid for this, loaned for this, bought this house, financed this buffalo, etc.

It makes you all look like idiots.

• Like 2

As 16000 bhat is a mere armful of handbags I would suggest you eliminate the market stall overhead completely and recommend she sells from a bicycle . Bicycles are easily modified with bamboo poles or broom handles, attached to the tubular metal frame , serving as convenient handbag wracks . She'll thank you for saving her a wad of cash.

• Like 2

We have a Female neighbour who is always dreaming up some scheme or another to extort money from anyone she can kid, not just Farang. Truth is she was left by her husband four years ago and has a mortgage on her 3.8 million Baht house running at 9,500 a month, a loan for a 4x4 at 6,200 a month, a loan for a Scooter at 3,400 a month and her income is 16,000 a month. The latter two loans have both been taken out since well after her husband left but she can't understand why she doesn't have enough money ! She dreams up stories of opening coffee shops, furniture shops, hairdressing salons and you name it just to take cash from anyone daft enough to believe her stories, and believe me many have including the wives of Farang who live around us.

The point is they know most Farang have more money than them and hope for the big hit but they will also hit their own kind if they get the chance. Ask most Thai women about 'Budgets' and they just do not understand what you are talking about. As one said to me once ''I just think money is for spending '' and was completely clueless about what i was trying to teach her.

Don't you mean, the Farangs of Wives who live around you.

Very gullible I think!

1) On my first date ever in Thailand, a 42yo hair salon owner took me to a shopping mall for me to buy for her a 6000THB/cellular ...

2) On a first date a 43yo police officer shows me a brochure of new houses for sale in Chiang Mai..over 3 million bath.... saying "if you buy for me today we get married tomorrow"

3) On a first date with a 60yo active school principal, she said that she was looking for an older guy to get married, and to take care...if its will paid the 1 million debt she had....

4) On my first date with a 32yo, she asked for a 25000THB "loan" to buy merchandise for the opening of a restaurant she supposedly was opening that week...

5) On my first date, a 41yo told me that she will be my "exclusive" gik if I give her 20000THB/month.....I called her later to see if I can have another date. She responded that she already got a farang willing to pay her...and do not have time for me...that week.

6) On my first date with a 60yo retired government employee, she said that nothing was left of her retirement money and she was broke, and need a husband to pay her debts, her home mortgage, and her car loan....

My list for "favors" requests in second an third dates is too long to post here.

In compensation..I have a long list of nice dates too....and I am a "Cheap Charlie". Some still good friends, just friends.

Great stuff Umbanda. clap2.gif

I wonder what they expect on a second date?

Sorry can't see what you are worried about if you have any doubts regards her request then simply say no move and forget about it. If approaches like that cannot cannot be verified then walk away.......you will only be gullible if you get stung and that would be your fault NOT hers.

Edited by cdnvic
Fixed irregular font
  • Like 2

We have a Female neighbour who is always dreaming up some scheme or another to extort money from anyone she can kid, not just Farang. Truth is she was left by her husband four years ago and has a mortgage on her 3.8 million Baht house running at 9,500 a month, a loan for a 4x4 at 6,200 a month, a loan for a Scooter at 3,400 a month and her income is 16,000 a month. The latter two loans have both been taken out since well after her husband left but she can't understand why she doesn't have enough money ! She dreams up stories of opening coffee shops, furniture shops, hairdressing salons and you name it just to take cash from anyone daft enough to believe her stories, and believe me many have including the wives of Farang who live around us.

The point is they know most Farang have more money than them and hope for the big hit but they will also hit their own kind if they get the chance. Ask most Thai women about 'Budgets' and they just do not understand what you are talking about. As one said to me once ''I just think money is for spending '' and was completely clueless about what i was trying to teach her.

Don't you mean, the Farangs of Wives who live around you.

Er;...NO !

• Like 2

Very gullible I think!

What you should have done,

Date younger women, they generally seem to want less than your collection of old boilers.

Probably not, they want the same thing...

Only more readily avaliable for a 'pay as you go' option vs. a lump sum buying.

• Like 2

being a little more careful with my acquaintance i have never received such a request.

i wonder if there is a correlation there

Same here. The kind of females that cause these problems are usually gone from my life in the morning.

• Like 1

To answer the question in the title..... Very very gullible my friend, and when you don't agree to what they want the bottom lip goes down and they go off in a sulk!

The Land Of Frowns!

And if "they" don't agree to what you want, what sort of sulk do you go off in?

Most farang seem to rush to Thai Visa to seek the company & support of the amen chorus of fellow sulk-ees who've traveled thousands of miles for something they couldn't get back home. Now when it comes to paying for it, they throw a righteous indignation tantrum. I am, of course, speaking of their quest for warm weather and a beach chair.

\MjAxMy02MGYzMTExZGM4ZTViZWQ5.png

Edited by Suradit69

they try and have nothing to lose. i like that. and it's not a typical girl thing, men do it too. everytime i leave for the west my neighbour asks me to give him stuff that i don't take with me. when i tell him i'll be back in 2 months and will continue to use the stuff then (like i have been doing for the last many years!) he says: why don't you buy new? haha... thainess.

Being a resident and visiting Pattaya often over the years. Can't tell you how many farangs i have enlightened over the years. Saved them lots of grief and dosh. I had a few hostile encounters with the derailed opportunists, and it was quite satisfying to unravel their selfish scams.

I have traveled and lived in many poor, developing countries. Never have I been asked to 'lend' money to people so much as in Thailand. When I first came here I was cashed up and gullible. In the first 3 years here l lent over 3,000,000 B to 17 different people. For everything from operations for mother, to opening a business, to can't pay the rent, to ticket to Switzerland to start job, need money for new born baby or they won't let me leave hospital etc etc etc. Never been paid back even 1 baht........gave up asking for repayment last year. But strict policy of absolutely no loans to Thai people anymore. I might add that a lot of these people earn more money than me and consider themselves my friends. Also never had any kind of sexual relationship with any of them.

• Like 2

For some reason, possibly something to do with a gentleman's gentleman area it seems that many visitors check their brains in with their cases when they arrive. They allow themselves to be drawn into things that they would never give a second thought to at home. SDM