True Internet unbearably slow today

petedk

My gal loves to watch you tube videos and tv shows online. That is normally why my connection is slow, as we share the same router. If you are the only one online, it could be that you have some malware issues, or some program is updating in the background....perhaps windows update. Turn off windows update (you can manually update) and run Malware bytes. Also check for viruses. CCleaner is a good cleanup program to run before and after you get online.

It was slow on all computers and mobiles last night.

I couldn't run speed test.

I reset modem several times.

Oh i didn't run all computers and mobiles at the same time so that wasn't the problem.

I will try later today to see if the speed has improved.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It was slow on all computers and mobiles last night.

I couldn't run speed test.

I reset modem several times.

Oh i didn't run all computers and mobiles at the same time so that wasn't the problem.

I will try later today to see if the speed has improved.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I have been having problems with slow true speeds since saturday.

I've too been having slow connections with True aDSL since Saturday. Not all sites are slow though. It seems True is having problems with their transparent proxy again. I eventually solved the slow connections by creating and connecting to a proxy server through Google App Engine. Now, it's blazing fast again.

I used to connect through a VPN server whenever True Online acts up. But connecting through via proxy servers is way faster.

Edited by andreitt

I've too been having slow connections with True aDSL since Saturday. Not all sites are slow though. It seems True is having problems with their transparent proxy again. I eventually solved the slow connections by creating and connecting to a proxy server through Google App Engine. Now, it's blazing fast again.

I used to connect through a VPN server whenever True Online acts up. But connecting through via proxy servers is way faster.

andreitt,

How do you create a proxy server through Google App Engine?

I know True has their two proxy servers a person can use and which I use occassionally, but you seem to be talking something different. Thanks.

Pib

andreitt,

I know True has their two proxy servers a person can use and which I use occassionally, but you seem to be talking something different. Thanks.

Pib

Try this

• Like 1

Thanks...that quite a setup...not for the faint of heart. I've used the SwitchSharp extension before on Chrome to switch back and forth between the True proxies and no proxy. So, basically you are just setting up a Google proxy. When you say blazing fast have you run any speed tests like testmy.net to provide some specific numbers as to the proxy speed in comparison to no proxy? Thanks again.

Thanks...that quite a setup...not for the faint of heart. I've used the SwitchSharp extension before on Chrome to switch back and forth between the True proxies and no proxy. So, basically you are just setting up a Google proxy. When you say blazing fast have you run any speed tests like testmy.net to provide some specific numbers as to the proxy speed in comparison to no proxy? Thanks again.

I have the True Online aDSL 10mbps package for 699baht. And then you can see I have level 3 hosting (Google App Engine).

uigPcAl.AuYrN8q.png

I have the True Online aDSL 10mbps package for 699baht. And then you can see I have level 3 hosting (Google App Engine).

uigPcAl.AuYrN8q.png

You are using multithread test, change it to single threaded.

Yes...that's what I noticed too about his posted speed test results.

Their multi-threaded test appears to test different servers in different locations (not sure which locations) and then combine the results into a single test result. That's fine...

But, for Thailand and real comparison purposes, pick a single thread DL test to a defined remote location like the U.S. or Europe.

Also, his DL test sizes are pretty small. More meaningful to go with larger DLs like 25 MB, etc.

Here's what I get using my True 15 Mbps cable connection in BKK direct, testing to a remote server in Texas, U.S. 25 Mb download. Speed of 1+ Mbps

post-58284-0-85285300-1393630555_thumb.j

Here's what I get using my True 15 Mbps cable connection in BKK with my U.S. VPN, testing to a remote server in Texas, U.S. 25 Mb download. Speed of 5+ Mbps

post-58284-0-24761500-1393630568_thumb.j

Done 6:30 am local BKK time. 5:30 pm TX time

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Yes...that's what I noticed too about his posted speed test results.

Their multi-threaded test appears to test different servers in different locations (not sure which locations) and then combine the results into a single test result. That's fine...

But, for Thailand and real comparison purposes, pick a single thread DL test to a defined remote location like the U.S. or Europe.

Also, his DL test sizes are pretty small. More meaningful to go with larger DLs like 25 MB, etc.

Here's what I get using my True 15 Mbps cable connection in BKK direct, testing to a remote server in Texas, U.S. 25 Mb download. Speed of 1+ Mbps

attachicon.gifPS1214.jpg

Here's what I get using my True 15 Mbps cable connection in BKK with my U.S. VPN, testing to a remote server in Texas, U.S. 25 Mb download. Speed of 5+ Mbps

attachicon.gifPS1215.jpg

Done 6:30 am local BKK time. 5:30 pm TX time

Here's with True proxy server

d5pR1nK.png

Here's with the free Google App proxy server

u1xB36A.png

Not bad, huh? This is for free.

Thanks for posting those results. As expected, the Level 3 result is considerably different than the earlier one you posted using their multi-thread/location test.

But in both your results and mine, it's pretty clear that going direct through True results in slower speeds, while going with a good VPN or proxy type approach seems to get around True's bottlenecks and delivers better performance.

I should have added, in my prior test, where my HMA VPN delivered above 5 Mbps, I also tried a different VPN (Invisible Browsing) with a server in Texas that produced a slower result that True direct, only about 700 Kbps. So it's not just using any VPN or proxy, but using a good one for your purpose.

Using our respective different approaches, we both ended up with a sustained DL rate of around 5 Mbps from the U.S., which I consider to be excellent for Thailand. TestMyNet has a server in TX, and there's where I do a lot of my Internet access. But usually, users can get even better speeds if they're connecting to a server on the West Coast in places like L.A., S.F. or Seattle, because they're closer to Thailand in distance, and also major Internet hubs themselves.

That's a really good result... But is it consistent and repeatable?

I read your explanation of the set-up you've used for this, in another thread, I believe. But a lot of it, I simply couldn't follow...

I know how to use commercial VPN and proxy services. But I know nothing about setting up one's own server.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Digitalocean had some network problems but it is 99 percent reliable (somedays 100 percent).

Setting up a proxy is very easy, setting up vpn is a bit harder but http proxy will be enough for most people.

No VPN service can offer same level of speed with private vpn/proxy on vps server because it is not shared with hundreds of other people.

If one wants to set up proxy server but need help, after bought your 5$ basic node from Digitalocean (make sure to choose SGP1 node and centos 5.x or 6.x 32 bit os) send me a pm and I can set up rest.

• Like 1

PM'd you buddy!

Assuming you mean the $5/month service right here? https://www.digitalocean.com/pricing

Thanks ever so much

ps. should 'Private Networking' be on or off?

5$ service is more than enough, unless you plan to use this proxy for a group of friends (which could be enough depending on your bandwidth usage)

Private networking is unnecessary.

I have installed the Google Proxy, and now it's definitely better. Thank you, andreitt.

andreitt,

Pib

Try this

• Like 2

I watched the above YouTube video this morning, and it was well done. Strikes me as an easy thing to accomplish on your PC.

What's missing from the video, though, is what exactly do you get by installing the software and settings he advises?

A proxy that locates you IP address where?

All this talk about Singapore internet connections prompted me to start exploring a bit, and do some testing earlier today with some surprising results.

First off, I discovered that my VPN provider (HMA) has what they call a virtual VPN for the U.S. based in Singapore. With an HMA subscription, you automatically have access to any/all of their VPN servers worldwide with no limits on changes or connections. So, basically, from here in Thailand, you can connect to an HMA server in nearby Singapore that will still end up giving you a U.S. IP address.

I ran a series of speed tests this morning using the 25 MB download from the Dallas TX server of TestMy.net. I compared 1] my True 15 Mbps cable internet connection direct with 2] HMA's Virtual VPN for the U.S. in Singapore with 3] HMA's regular Texas VPN that I often use. The result was the Singapore-US Virtual VPN appeared to slightly edge out my HMA TX VPN (both with very good speeds), and both blew away my direct True cable connection, as follows:

True 15 Mbps Cable in BKK direct to Texas:

post-58284-0-49858800-1393852538_thumb.j post-58284-0-77960000-1393852539_thumb.j

HMA Virtual VPN for the U.S. in Singapore:

post-58284-0-72659700-1393852608_thumb.j post-58284-0-52053100-1393852609_thumb.j

HMA VPN-PPTP in Texas:

post-58284-0-89441400-1393852710_thumb.j post-58284-0-87191200-1393852712_thumb.j post-58284-0-74749200-1393852711_thumb.j

And, just to show it matters a lot WHICH VPN you use and choose, I similarly tested a different VPN account I have, a PPTP connection via an IB (Invisible Browsing) VPN server also in Texas, which produced worse results than the True direct connection.

post-58284-0-88426100-1393852850_thumb.j

post-58284-0-76944500-1393852851_thumb.j

With a one-year service plan for HMA, it works out to $79 a year or $6.55 per month, which is just a little more than the DigitalOcean $5 a month package. But of course, you get access to a variety of VPN servers all around the world and can choose and use them as you like.

The only downside that I could tell to HMA's Virtual U.S. VPN in Singapore is that (AFAIK) you can't control or select what city server location in the U.S. you'll end up with. So if it's just for something like Netflix where all that matters is a U.S. address period, then that's fine. But if you need a U.S. address in a specific city or area, it looks like the HMA Virtual U.S. VPN in Singapore wouldn't be a solution.

I must say, it was also quite interesting to see that, using exactly the same Internet connection here in Thailand, I could get a 10-fold range of speed results depending on which VPN I was using -- ranging from the HMA Virtual U.S. VPN in Singapore that produced results 10 times faster than my direct True cable connection, vs. my IB VPN server in Texas that produced results somewhat slower than my True direct connection.

HMA is good but per month subscription is more expensive than yearly and when I tried it I wasn't satisfied so I ended my 1 year subscripton before 30 days and got my refund.

I wasn't satisfied because singapore servers were half full and my ping was not so good.

Besides, they can always throttle your connection if you use too much bandwidth.

When you got your own vps node, you don't have to use vpn. You can install a proxy, install openvpn or l2tp vpn or whatever you want. You get guaranteed bandwidth and system resources and you can use tunlr trick to stream netflix/hulu over singapore with help of US vps proxy (like I do)

If you need a multiple country VPN, HMA may be a better choice. If you only need singapore vpn, 100 users on dedicated server using openvpn can't beat 1 user on vps in terms of performance and throughtput.

Edit: Btw thanks for speedtests and results for comparing.

Edited by muratremix