But the plaintive cry of this bird,the same note repeated over

and over,if you have one in your niebourhood you will know

exactly what i mean,I can hear it and sometimes it is quiet

near but I have never seen one yet, there are a few twichers

on this forum whom I am am sure will be able to name this bird

just by the description of its grinding call,just hope it finds a

mate soon and shuts up !.

regards Worgeordie

We have one around our place - it's great, like living in the middle of the zoo !

Their sound will alter according to season. Maybe its males and females make different sounds. Sometimes they sound more like a monkey but now more high pitched.

I was afraid to bring up the subject of annoying birds. Doves ! Lots and lots of them. Once or twice the cooing is nice - even relaxing. Not Hong Dong doves. 40 times right in a row they would annoy Francis of Assissi. This village seems to be paradise for them. Rocks thrown at them only delay the mating calls. I would try a fake owl if I could find one.

My neighbor has a giant mango tree (maybe 40 feet high) and some bird has been singing it's heart out starting at around 3 AM. I can even hear it with ear plugs. Now I know what the bird looks like. I was hoping a cat would get it. Now I hope it finds a mate and they decide to move elsewhere.

Yes, they are assertive!! biggrin.png We have one near who is also pining for a mate, or mater is going on in bird land .

Get some ear plugs, if it drives you absolutely bonkers.

Perhaps, understand that we --- birds and us --- are all part of the whole deal! Not that I am happy with bird shit on my gate or porch, but I can live with it!

I was afraid to bring up the subject of annoying birds. Doves ! Lots and lots of them. Once or twice the cooing is nice - even relaxing. Not Hong Dong doves. 40 times right in a row they would annoy Francis of Assissi. This village seems to be paradise for them. Rocks thrown at them only delay the mating calls. I would try a fake owl if I could find one.

Don't mind the doves too much but we have to put up with the Great Pigeon (winged rats) Invasion at Koolpunt 5. They run riot over everyone's roof and crap like they've been eating Indian Curry.

Although this birds call is pretty repetitive , (I've got one around my house) I take the same approach as I do with barking dogs, croaking frogs, dripping taps, or a nagging wife, I ignore it. The moment you let it annoy you you've had it.

Ear plugs, besides being impractical and probably ineffective are just a way of admitting defeat.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe
  • Like 2

The moment I see some guy shooting birds I will call a police and make sure you pay for what you did and post your story in pantip.com. Shooting birds is very serious and offensive for many good Thai families.

You should live for a spell in the Isan countryside. Villagers here kill and eat any birds they can get hold of; they are not offended in the slightest.

• Like 1

Isaan also kill and eat dogs if youre Thai you will know North and Isaan are diiferent culture. And we don't appreciate shooting birds here.

The moment I see some guy shooting birds I will call a police and make sure you pay for what you did and post your story in pantip.com. Shooting birds is very serious and offensive for many good Thai families.

You should live for a spell in the Isan countryside. Villagers here kill and eat any birds they can get hold of; they are not offended in the slightest.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Isaan also kill and eat dogs if youre Thai you will know North and Isaan are diiferent culture. And we don't appreciate shooting birds here.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Not much evidence of birds or wildlife when I hike in the jungle. See a few empty shotgun cartridges...

If I want to see birds, I stay in my garden.

My two-year-old meditation practice has done wonders for my noise tolerance. When the local outdoor restaurant has a live band that plays till past midnight I just go to sleep. Two years ago that was unimaginable. We also hear the call of the gowgow outside our window. It reminds me I'm lucky enough to live in a house surrounded by nature. There was a gowgow in a tree outside a house I rented when I was new to Thailand and it would wake me up every morning and I would complain to anyone who would listen. Someone finally told me lots of Thais would love wake up to the sound of a bird but I didn't want to hear that at the time.

I would not want to kill any birds just because they make a noise,after all he's only

doing what comes naturally,trying to find a mate, he's been quiet today so maybe

he has been successful.

Birds of all sizes have been part of a Thai diet for 1'000s of years, and its still

going on,its the poorer people so who can blame them, the people building our

house always had their catapults handy.and they were from Chiang Mai.

Thais like the Chinese will try to eat anything that moves, there where no dogs

or cats left around the Thai workers camp in Singapore,then they went after

the huge Koi in a government park,very expensive Koi,

regards worgeordie

Geordie, are you still there?

The range of this bird, the Asian Koel, does not extend into most of Isaan. So move to Roi Et and you will get the aural relief you crave.

Briggsy, the ranges in Isan given in Lekagul and Round are out=of-date, and were anyway mostly guesswork. In Buriram we have masses of Koels (I somehow don't think that's the right collective noun!), and I doubt whether they are any rarer in Roi Et.

Aristide, I lived in Chiangmai for 15 years before moving to Buriram, so I think I can (while not being Thai) reasonably claim to speak for both. I was staying in a village near Omkoi once, and asked my host why were no birds, and his answer was, "Karen kin mot".... but then he was Karen.

The range of this bird, the Asian Koel, does not extend into most of Isaan. So move to Roi Et and you will get the aural relief you crave.

Briggsy, the ranges in Isan given in Lekagul and Round are out=of-date, and were anyway mostly guesswork. In Buriram we have masses of Koels (I somehow don't think that's the right collective noun!), and I doubt whether they are any rarer in Roi Et.

Aristide, I lived in Chiangmai for 15 years before moving to Buriram, so I think I can (while not being Thai) reasonably claim to speak for both. I was staying in a village near Omkoi once, and asked my host why were no birds, and his answer was, "Karen kin mot".... but then he was Karen.

Many years ago, I worked in a factory in Ayutthaya.

The staff came from all over Thailand. The ones from deep Isaan had no idea of the koel sound. The others from south, north and central did.

Robson which is more recent than Lekagul and Round still has koels absent from a large chunk of Isaan.

Buri Ram gets load of species that are vacant from the stony and deforested lands in Yasothon, Roi Et, Mahasarakham, eastern Khon Kaen, etc.

I have never seen or heard a koel in this "poor soil" region.

I am fairly confident koel relief can be had in Roi Et for the OP.

Many years ago, I worked in a factory in Ayutthaya.

The staff came from all over Thailand. The ones from deep Isaan had no idea of the koel sound. The others from south, north and central did.

Robson which is more recent than Lekagul and Round still has koels absent from a large chunk of Isaan.

Buri Ram gets load of species that are vacant from the stony and deforested lands in Yasothon, Roi Et, Mahasarakham, eastern Khon Kaen, etc.

I have never seen or heard a koel in this "poor soil" region.

I am fairly confident koel relief can be had in Roi Et for the OP.

'Buri Ram gets load of species that are vacant from the stony and deforested lands in Yasothon, Roi Et,

Mahasarakham, eastern Khon Kaen, etc' - Really?

'I have never seen or heard a koel in this "poor soil" region.' - Might be the same area wherefrom we got

the smoke over the last weeks here in Phrae province...

In our garden we also have this nice bird and over the years many different birds decided to live there.

Don't know if this community is always peaceful. But at least, they know there is nobody shooting them.

It's a good feeling.

Btw, there is another thread on Koels

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/703418-to-kill-a-koel-bird/page-3#entry7504639

not out-of-date.

W.t