Flights to Vancouver

Green

Any recommendations on cheaper flights to Vancouver dep June or July 2014? Actually going straight through to Victoria BC, but what ever is available.

I found some reasonable fares from Anew travel (under 40k) who advertise in the Bkkpost, didn't see so much advertised there though at the moment. Expedia was all about 50k at that time frame.

Thanks

Thanks, the fares are all quite close at that 'Anew Travel' link, so for an extra 5k I might go with Cathay. But would like to find a good agent if anyone has a recommendation. The Korean air fare at that Anew travel link was 32k total which was a lot cheaper than the rest, will check it out.

Edited by Green

• 3 weeks later...

about to book, TG to Hongkong with 1hour 50 min stop over changing to Canada Air - will that be enough time to make the connection?

Then its 12 hours to Vancouver with 1 hour 50min stop over to make the connection to Victoria.

I flew united last trip, missed my connection in sanFrancisco, added 10 hours to my trip...

and how is it in economy? Its about the same cost (36k to YVR) but i also need a connector to Sidney which adds about another 3k (need to check that).

I thought Thai air would be ok to Hong Kong though, and the Canada air to Vancouver?

about to book, TG to Hongkong with 1hour 50 min stop over changing to Canada Air - will that be enough time to make the connection?

Then its 12 hours to Vancouver with 1 hour 50min stop over to make the connection to Victoria.

I flew united last trip, missed my connection in sanFrancisco, added 10 hours to my trip...

You should make it, no thanks to TG. HKG is very good for transfers. Your TG flight will probably be late, but if you have 45 minutes you can make it. Your bags might not. A word of caution about CBSA at YVR. They can hold you up for an hour if they search you.

that sounds kind of risky, if my bags were not to make it then it would seem to make more sense to find a different flight. actually the stop over in hong kong is only 1 hour 40 min.

Eva air is a shorter trip than most, 17 hours with a 3 hour stop over in Taipei, just would need to book the connector flight vancouver to victoria separately.

Edited by Green

found another flight from bkk-YYJ (victoria BC) depart bkk 11:10 with Cathay pacific then on to air Canada, that leaves 3 hours earlier that thai air ways, which connects to the same AC flight in HK. about 38k.

How is Cathay Pacific compared to TG? I might still go with TG to cut 3 hours off that flight.

Eva Air will fly you regular economy from Bangkok to Vancouver for 34500 baht. Dates: depart BKK on June 16th and return from YVR on August 12th. Layover in Taipei both directions only about three hours. If you want to fly through to Victoria, you may be better doing it through a reputable travel agency, but for that I can't help you.

It's been over a decade since I last flew EVA, so can't comment. Good airline at the time, but lately it's been mostly Cathay we've flown. From BKK Cathay seems more expensive though.

If you want the cheapest fare for June, it seems to be Air China at 30,300 baht return to Vancouver. Not a recommendation though, since I've never flown with them, and the flight I checked had a layover in Beijing of near 10 hours.

found another flight from bkk-YYJ (victoria BC) depart bkk 11:10 with Cathay pacific then on to air Canada, that leaves 3 hours earlier that thai air ways, which connects to the same AC flight in HK. about 38k.

How is Cathay Pacific compared to TG? I might still go with TG to cut 3 hours off that flight.

I flew Cathay Pacific JFK-HKG-BKK a few weeks ago. Nice flight. Only an hour connection time at HKG but they had an agent at the arrival gate who ran (literally) us through security, the train to the next terminal and to the gate of the connecting flight....huff-puff! I really appreciated the short 2 1/2 hour flight to BKK after the 14 hour flight from JFK. Much nicer than still having 7 hours from Narita, Inchon or Taipei. No problem with baggage...it all arrived with us in BKK despite the short connection.

Food was decent for economy, nothing special. good IFE and decent seating room. By current economy standards; 4 star.

On the itinerary of the cheaptickets site, it says terminal 1 for the arrival and connection to air canada, Expedia didn't provide that info. There are heaps of flights everyday connecting that TG or Cathay flight in HK to CA, so the connection time has to be enough.

I want to get a ticket that books straight through to victoria so will probably go with this. 18.5h there. 19h return. About 38k. How is Canadian air these days?

On the itinerary of the cheaptickets site, it says terminal 1 for the arrival and connection to air canada, Expedia didn't provide that info. There are heaps of flights everyday connecting that TG or Cathay flight in HK to CA, so the connection time has to be enough.

I want to get a ticket that books straight through to victoria so will probably go with this. 18.5h there. 19h return. About 38k. How is Canadian air these days?

I don't think Canadian Air exists anymore. We still have Air Canada, that is likely what is meant.

I don't think Canadian Air exists anymore. We still have Air Canada, that is likely what is meant.

Yes, Canadian Airlines International disappeared back in 2001. That airline used to fly to Bangkok, but either Air Canada wasn't interested when they took over the Pacific routes, or they were forced to give up flying to and from BKK.

Unless, AC has a much cheaper fare, I would prefer to fly with either Cathay or EVA over Air Canada, at least on the BKK-HKG-YVR sectors.

Eva air is a little more, but only bc i have to book the connector to victoria from vancouver. 35k to vancouver then plus about 7-8k for return connector to victoria.

AC is not good is it? What is the main difference with EVA?

It is my opinion that North American long haul carriers all provide a bit of a ragged experience, tired cranky staff, limited extras, even the planes seem somehow stale.

Don't know why, but check the airline ratings, North American carriers struggle to even place.