Charupong disagrees with a foreign mediator

webfact

For once I agree with the PTP, don't get the UN involved, its not Thailand's father....

look at what's happening in Syria for an indication of all the good the UN will do

I disagree with you on three accounts. Thai culture does not lend itself well to agreeing to being in the wrong; those who live here have no doubt been influenced by the political upheaval, one way or the other; UK called in an outside mediator to help solve the Northern Ireland troubles, which have been vastly reduced to such an extent as to those who were classified as terrorists at the time are now Northern Ireland MPs. Agreed this is only one example, but it does show that with the will, and the removal of false pride, outside assistance can work well.

For once I agree with the PTP, don't get the UN involved, its not Thailand's father....

look at what's happening in Syria for an indication of all the good the UN will do

I disagree with you on three accounts. Thai culture does not lend itself well to agreeing to being in the wrong; those who live here have no doubt been influenced by the political upheaval, one way or the other; UK called in an outside mediator to help solve the Northern Ireland troubles, which have been vastly reduced to such an extent as to those who were classified as terrorists at the time are now Northern Ireland MPs. Agreed this is only one example, but it does show that with the will, and the removal of false pride, outside assistance can work well.

I agree with that. It is so easy to blame the UN for failure to resolve problems when really it is the divisions (and vetoes) within the Security Council that too often prevent solutions. Syria is one example and Palestine is another. But NI is really an isolated case.

Having said that, I doubt that the protagonists will agree (even PTP cannot agree within the party) to an outsider. One only has to look at the failure of the 'reconciliation' council of last August for any outside suggestions to be completely ignored.

What Charupong should be doing is making suggestions for an independent arbitrator which would put the ball firmly in Suthep's court.