second hand scooter - transfer ownership

willfreeman

im up in chiangmai looking at some cheap second hand scooters to use for a few months, some farangs are selling and they have the papaerwork but they never bothered to change from previous thai owners name, would this be a problem for me to buy from them and than transfer into my name?

also what paperwork will i need to transfer - im on a double entry visa - so just a certificate of residency? (i have one year thai mc license obtained last year)

and what does it cost? for tax, insurance etc? will the bike need to meet roadworthy tests etc?

thanks

It's easier to just keep in Thai name and carry on using you can still tax it ect without changing the name. If you do put it in your name this can be done as long as the owner now has the transfer papers already signed by the previous owner and also a copy of the Thais I'd card , also signed underneath.

so i can continue to have it taxed and insured indefinitely without changing the name over?

its no problem when pulled over by the cops - just say its a friends bike?

never seen police asking for any documents for 7 years here apart from the riding/driving license.

That can be ok for practicality. but my question is, is there a civil responability sharing beween driver and owner ? In my country, there is. Also if the bike gets stolen and one had insurance, who would be paid ? Also if impounded bty the cops, would they release it evev if one has the green book ??

Some farangs have bikes to sell but none of their names are on the registration documentations.

Not one or two but some! Doesn't that set any alarm flags in your mind?

Farangs seldom have any problems at all selling motor vehicles here. In fact they're sought after, as it's widely believed that they've been well looked after and everything is correct. Including the documentation. Yet there's quite a few in Chiang Mai selling bikes with documents that aren't compliant with that level of correctness.

By all means buy one. You'll have possession of it but will probably never attain ownership. You will however inherit any undisclosed issues associated with the bike. I wonder about the gender of the names in these green books.

Also, at the end, you'll have the problem of selling a bike with how many unregistered owners?

Bikes which are totally legitimate are plentiful and cheap here.

Jerry

Edited by Jerry Cornelius