Yingluck's lawyer confident of her innocence in rice graft charges

webfact

PM's lawyer confident of her innocence in rice graft charges

PNPOL570228001000301_28022014_123201.jpg

BANGKOK, 28 February 2014 (NNT) - Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra’s lawyer has expressed confidence that the premier will be cleared of corruption charges relating to the government's rice-pledging scheme.

Two lawyers acting on behalf of Prime Minister Yingluck reported to the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) yesterday to acknowledge charges on behalf of the Premier, who was on the second leg of an official trip to the North.

Norawich Lalaeng, one of the lawyers, said the legal team had been authorized to hear the NACC's charges on her behalf and to testify or submit a statement and evidence in her defence.

According to him, the team is confident that participating farmers have benefited from the program and that their depositions will clear her name.

He elaborated that the team would be able to produce a rebuttal to the charges within 15 days.

Ms Yingluck could face impeachment by the Senate, or even criminal charges, if the NACC rules against her. A final decision is expected in a few weeks.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-02-28 footer_n.gif

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra’s lawyer has expressed confidence that the premier will be cleared of corruption charges relating to the government's rice-pledging scheme.

If a lawyer announced in the press that his client is guilty as sin, he would be fired wouldn't he ?

Strange though that Noppadon wasn't chosen as lawyer coffee1.gif

• Like 2

Dear Khun Norawich dream on.

It’s not a matter of some participating farmers in red shirt controlled areas has had a windfall, 80 Billion THB has been transferred illegally to Hong Kong from the Rice "scam" budget to Thaksin and his cronies alone, god knows who else gained from this massive corruption.

• Like 2

Yes let the court do what they need to do.

Perhaps YL is so convinced of her innocence as she will send a box to judges just like her brother did.

I'm certain that moves along these lines you mention, are in the pipeline.....hopefully not....but If the price is right !!

So, Ms. Yingluck innocent. no problem. Next someone will give a full accounting of the 800 billion which will be lost by the time the last stocks are sold to pay all (or should that be most?) bills outstanding to farmers, millers and the like? Will someone help the BAAC to recover those billions?

BTW can anyone remember what PM Yingluck said about transparency when she read out her government's action list in August 2011?

• Like 2

Of course the absent/busy caretaker-PM is innocent of corruption-charges, but then the NACC are accusing her of negligence of duty, not corruption aren't they ? whistling.gif

Perhaps her lawyers will ensure that their press-releases are relevant/accurate, in future, but I somehow doubt it. sad.png

PM's lawyer confident of her innocence in rice graft charges

Well I am pretty confident that my kids are the cutest kids in the world, but heay, thats only my opinion.

If anyone suggests my kids are not the cutest kids in the world I will be able to produce a rebuttal to those accusations within 15 days.

This is politic static from a dying regime.

Edited by djjamie
  • Like 1

There are two sides to the coin, Firstly, if you are asked to attend court you attend with your lawyer, that's how democracy works , the other side of the coin is the Junta style , you do what you want to do and thumb your nose at the law, because you think you are above the law, so, how do you talk reform with these type of people , that consider themselves better that the average person.bah.gif

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra’s lawyer has expressed confidence that the premier will be cleared of corruption charges relating to the government's rice-pledging scheme.

If a lawyer announced in the press that his client is guilty as sin, he would be fired wouldn't he ?

Strange though that Noppadon wasn't chosen as lawyer coffee1.gif

Maybe she's not as dumb as she makes out!

• Like 1

According to him, the team is confident that participating farmers have benefited from the program and that their depositions will clear her name.

Whether or not they have benefited is not the issue. The issue is: Negligence!!!

BhiO8x1CAAAnfOg_zpse6d61e5a.jpg

Today, OAG inspected Govt rice warehouses in Wat Bod District, Phitsanulok.

Edited by Nickymaster
  • Like 1

Whether or not they have benefited is not the issue. The issue is: Negligence!!!

BhiO8x1CAAAnfOg_zpse6d61e5a.jpg

Today, OAG inspected Govt rice warehouses in Wat Bod District, Phitsanulok.

Hmmm..... think I'll skip the curry tonight. bah.gif

• Like 2

I am not privy to the NACC's charges documents. From what the NACC public statements to the medias, I gathered that:

1. Caretaker PM ignored the warning of the possible wide spread corrupt and irregular practices and called for it to drop the policy. IMO, while this warning is helpful, but not necessary that a policy of a government to be dropped.

2. She knew about the corrupt and irregular practices. IMO, On the day of the filing of complaint to the day of acknowledgement of charges, there was not a single government official and minister found guilty of these allegations.

3. That the scheme created financial strain to the State. - This is a narrow personal view on a wider economic perspective of the Government. The scheme was never meant to be a direct money making machine but primary to help the rice farmer which in turn will encourage domestic consumption and growth. It encourage rice farmers to continue farming for food security and the development and growth of related industries.

4. Thar the G-to-G contract was faked. Globally or at least to some countries in the region, G-To-G arrangement and agreement on food is a sensitive national security issue. Access to such information has to follow some security procedures. Yet, we have not found anyone guilty of such allegation, up to this day.

• Like 2

I am not privy to the NACC's charges documents. From what the NACC public statements to the medias, I gathered that:

1. Caretaker PM ignored the warning of the possible wide spread corrupt and irregular practices and called for it to drop the policy. IMO, while this warning is helpful, but not necessary that a policy of a government to be dropped.

2. She knew about the corrupt and irregular practices. IMO, On the day of the filing of complaint to the day of acknowledgement of charges, there was not a single government official and minister found guilty of these allegations.

3. That the scheme created financial strain to the State. - This is a narrow personal view on a wider economic perspective of the Government. The scheme was never meant to be a direct money making machine but primary to help the rice farmer which in turn will encourage domestic consumption and growth. It encourage rice farmers to continue farming for food security and the development and growth of related industries.

4. Thar the G-to-G contract was faked. Globally or at least to some countries in the region, G-To-G arrangement and agreement on food is a sensitive national security issue. Access to such information has to follow some security procedures. Yet, we have not found anyone guilty of such allegation, up to this day.

Caretaker PM was chairperson of National Rice whatever commission. So as PM moving forward the election promises of the Pheu Thai party which had her as #1 on the party list of MP candidates and whose MPs elected her as PM, as chairwoman of the National Rice whatever commission it would seem Ms. Yingluck should both be knowledgeble of the rice price pledging scheme, it's implementation and it's profound lack of success. The BAAC has paid out 700 billion for the government and it looks like any sales of the rice stock will only suffice to pay outstanding bills to farmers, warehouse owners, millers. That 700++ billion the government guaranteed towards to BAAC, The opposition warned the government already before the scheme started on the 7th of October, 2011 that it would be very costly to the state and it's taxpayers, but the government with it's 'respect the vote till its counted' assumed a "we have a mandate, so shut up" attitude.

Now tell me again. PM Yingluck knows nothing, didn't do anything, it's not her fault?

• Like 2

Yes let the court do what they need to do.

Perhaps YL is so convinced of her innocence as she will send a box to judges just like her brother did.

If she was so confident, then why didn't she appear yesterday? Of course, she will the use any decision that goes against her, that the process was not fair and that she was not given access to documents etc, etc

Anyway, I wonder if she will use incompetence as her defense?

• Like 1

Well he would say that,its his job, but i think everyone else including my cat,

knows other wise,someone has to pay the piper,until a hiso politician is sent

screaming and fighting to prison for a VERY long time,they will be no end to

the massive corruption that blights this country.

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

Without going into details, did you know that 18% of total money spend goes to the farmers?

what allegation or accusation you are trying to make? I am more interested in the scheme's wider economic perspective and its contribution to the overall economy and food security preparations of Thailand rather than the different methods of statistical calculation and analysis and argument.

Edited by icommunity

Dear Khun Norawich dream on.

It’s not a matter of some participating farmers in red shirt controlled areas has had a windfall, 80 Billion THB has been transferred illegally to Hong Kong from the Rice "scam" budget to Thaksin and his cronies alone, god knows who else gained from this massive corruption.

WOW really?

But you can back up such massive allegations with proof irrefutable no doubt? and would you like to also name "his cronies"? as the laws in Thailand for liable are really quite heavy and to think that peoples comments here are not being watched could be a serious lack of judgment,