Fit in

Somsrisonphimai

You mean a vassal state don't you?

Thailand in effect was an "ally" of the Japanese at that time already, in exchange for the Japanese forcing the French to cede territory to Thailand. Japan knew they'd be shortly be taking control of Thailand anyway, but long before that got Thailand to promise support of their pending attacks on the British territories.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Or maybe you meant Japan, but wait? I don't think Japan was colonized either was it?

Had to think about this comment. As a matter of fact, they lost the War and the whole Feudalistic system was trashed. Japan was rebuilt. Much more drastic than colonization. There was a period of time when the entire society and government had to answer to American rule. Occupation of Japan.....due to their surrender....did happen !

http://history.state.gov/milestones/1945-1952/japan-reconstruction

Just so that comparison cannot be misunderstood.

Japan was not colonized. If you are trying to make the case that the American occupation was the same as colonization; I have no comment on that is it is too far from reality to debate.

Japan was 100% fully occupied for quite some time.

If America were truly colonial in the traditional sense they could easily have fully colonized Japan.

They chose to settle for the much more sustainable route of ensuring economic cooperation and military emasculation.

You mean a vassal state don't you?

Thailand in effect was an "ally" of the Japanese at that time already, in exchange for the Japanese forcing the French to cede territory to Thailand. Japan knew they'd be shortly be taking control of Thailand anyway, but long before that got Thailand to promise support of their pending attacks on the British territories.

I'm waiting for the Thai lady to come back and tell us what was taught about the Victory Monument.

What Thai lady?

Somsrisonphimai

Forgive me gentlemen, my knowledge of the WWII history is limited.

I don't think it's fair to blame Thailand for the continuing of WWII when in fact there shouldn't have been the war in the first place. It's easy to pointing fingers and assigning blame, but how can one blame the country for playing a survivor mode?

By the way, we are getting way off topic. Here are the following responses I got so far:

1. They do not care to fit into the country because they have Thai family to rely on

2. They wanted and tried to fit into the country but they did not succeed so either they ended up leaving or staying and complaining

3. They fitted into the country nicely and found their happy place

Fitting In

WHat doies this mean exactly WHY do people try so hard to fit in try the following

1/ Be polite to all you meet

2/ RESPECT the culture of the country you are in

3/ Don't complain by saying where I come we do it this way ( you are not there now )

4/ Mix with the locals whenever possible

5/ Try and learn the language ( even if you mess it up the will respect you for trying )

6/ Smile it will open all doors for you

I live in huge appartment block am one a of a very few westerners living there, I the block I am in I chat and have a drink now and then with locals on the grass outside the complex these are good people after a few weeks of doing this maybe 1 night a week food left at me door people teaching me thai but the best part is that sometimes say you good man you our friend...how good is that

I did not try to fit in it was a natural progression from all of the above.

TRY IT IT WILL WORK

• Like 2

What Thai lady?

Somsrisonphimai

Forgive me gentlemen, my knowledge of the WWII history is limited.

I don't think it's fair to blame Thailand for the continuing of WWII when in fact there shouldn't have been the war in the first place. It's easy to pointing fingers and assigning blame, but how can one blame the country for playing a survivor mode?

By the way, we are getting way off topic. Here are the following responses I got so far:

1. They do not care to fit into the country because they have Thai family to rely on

2. They wanted and tried to fit into the country but they did not succeed so either they ended up leaving or staying and complaining

3. They fitted into the country nicely and found their happy place

A 60,000 man well equipped Thai army attacked Laos and Cambodia about a year before the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor. I think the Thais attacked the French because they refused to fit in with some Thai ideas of borders and boundaries. Since the Thais attacked France well before any aggressive Japanese action against the Americans or Brits one might the Thais were just really upset at the colonial powers for not fitting in with the Thai idea how things should be done in South East Asia.

A year after the Thais attacked the French the Japanese attacked the Americans and Brits in numerous air strikes similar to the surprise attack at Pearl Harbor.

But don't take my word for it. Google, "French don't fit in Franco Thai war."

Thailiketoo,

The following artical implied that the conflict between Vichy French and Thailand was a sideshow and so small that it had no merit on the outcome of the war. http://www.historytoday.com/george-horvath/thailands-war-vichy-france

The French was trying to take control of Thailand for many years before the WWII, so if there was a chance to retaliate that was it.

Ok, since we are already off the topic and since you are such an expert on the view of war, I will take the chance of this thread being closed and to go ahead asking you about what is Pakistan role in the war in Afghnistan? I think its position is similar to Thailand during the WWII if that is what you think of Thailand's role on the WWII.

Thailiketoo,

The following artical implied that the conflict between Vichy French and Thailand was a sideshow and so small that it had no merit on the outcome of the war. http://www.historytoday.com/george-horvath/thailands-war-vichy-france

The French was trying to take control of Thailand for many years before the WWII, so if there was a chance to retaliate that was it.

Ok, since we are already off the topic and since you are such an expert on the view of war, I will take the chance of this thread being closed and to go ahead asking you about what is Pakistan role in the war in Afghnistan? I think its position is similar to Thailand during the WWII if that is what you think of Thailand's role on the WWII.

I think Thailand thought they would fit in better with the Japanese than the French. It is all about fitting in after all. My point was that Thailand had a 60,000 man army and air force with tanks and artillery that was battle tested against the French Foreign Legion (no small feat) and could have fought the Japanese but chose to fit in instead.

Thais have always been concerned about other cultures fitting in but for some reason 70 years ago were very anti Chinese. I think it is because the Chinese made little attempt to fit in and instead took over industries that had been traditionally Thai. One can still see the China Town in Bangkok as testament to this non fitting in approach.

Foreign people who don't want to fit in live in Bangkok or Pattaya today as they lived in the French Concession in Shanghai. Pattaya today is in the process of changing from the British Concession to the Russian Concession for those who can't really fit in in Thailand. Perhaps the Russians will be as welcoming of other nationalities as the British were but somehow I doubt it.

Why should the Thais have fought the Japs? Much smarter to play along, they had no obligation to try to help defend British interests. Would've only delayed the fall of Malaya/Singapore and Burma anyway.

My Thai friends complain about same things: Corruption, Driving Standards, Loud Music etc...

Do they fit in ?? Or, are you suggesting that foreigners don't have a right to an opinion and shouldn't be discussing these issues ?

Of course - some will always complain, but for the most part these are issues that Thai's would also like to see improve, the opinions of many foreigners in Thailand often mirror the opinions of many Thai's...

If you were to take a look at the Thai forum Panthip.com you will see that many similar issues are mirrored there.

One thing the go-homers have in common is they don't speak Thai; otherwise I can't imagine who they've been talking to.

Thais complain a lot about their country. In that regard, trying to improve it certainly is 'fitting in.'

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

It seems people complain quite often the things they dislike in Thailand including sin sot, loud music, double pricing, driving, poor customer services, and so on. My question is simple, are you fitting into Thailand or do you want Thailand to fit into you?

For some it wouldn't matter if they are in Thailand, Disneyland, or farangland, they will always complain, they are not happy unless they are whinging.

Sin sot, easy to avoid, don't marry a Thai girl.

Loud music, most people over 40 don't like this, ear plugs or headphones are easy to use.

Double pricing, nobody forces you to visit these places.

Driving, OK Thais do drive on the wrong side of the road.

Poor customer service, don't care as long as the girl behind the counter is wearing really short shorts.

• Like 2

Perhaps a better question would be?

Do you accept that by moving to Thailand there are many who expect you to give up your right to hold and express an opinion?

Or perhaps:

How insecure in our own decisions must we be if the opinions of others to the contrary bother us so?

Do you accept that by moving to Thailand there are many who expect you to give up your right to hold and express an opinion?

Or perhaps:

How insecure in our own decisions must we be if the opinions of others to the contrary bother us so?

Who is.....many ?

Or perhaps:

Who is.....many ?

They 'are' the many who trot out OPs within which the common thread is objecting to anybody expressing negative opinions about any aspect of their life in Thailand.

But I suspect you knew that already.

Or perhaps:

Who is.....many ?

They 'are' the many who trot out OPs within which the common thread is objecting to anybody expressing negative opinions about any aspect of their life in Thailand.

I suspected you meant that.

The strange thing is that some/most of those kind of posters respond by posting personal and insulting/impolite attacks.

I wonder why that is.

Yep as a visitor is thier country I'm just expected to bend over, gently part my bumcheeks and take it...not allowed to complain.

Umm...no, complaints are not allowed, 555. When you are in Rome, do what the Roman does.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

When in Rome I'll eat pasta, I'm kind of keen on it...

It seems people complain quite often the things they dislike in Thailand including sin sot, loud music, double pricing, driving, poor customer services, and so on. My question is simple, are you fitting into Thailand or do you want Thailand to fit into you?

For some it wouldn't matter if they are in Thailand, Disneyland, or farangland, they will always complain, they are not happy unless they are whinging.

Sin sot, easy to avoid, don't marry a Thai girl.

Loud music, most people over 40 don't like this, ear plugs or headphones are easy to use.

Double pricing, nobody forces you to visit these places.

Driving, OK Thais do drive on the wrong side of the road.

Poor customer service, don't care as long as the girl behind the counter is wearing really short shorts.

I like your perspective but you are in the minority, and the majority of people here don't think like you. If they think like you, they might be much more happier living in Thailand.

• Like 1

Or perhaps:

Who is.....many ?

The strange thing is that some/most of those kind of posters respond by posting personal and insulting/impolite attacks.

I wonder why that is.

Because they are passion about their point of view.

Or perhaps:

Who is.....many ?

I wonder why that is.

Because they are passion about their point of view.

Sorry.......writing down insulting and personal attacks about other posters has nothing to do with passion......more with simply being rude and impolite....

• Like 2

Well I am Canadian and if you ever want to see someone bitch about a place listen to me when I get going about Canada. As most know I am a single guy (soon to not be :) ! ) Why should I work 28 days offshore in another country and just because I used to spend 6 months a year there be expected to pay 43% Income Tax. That money goes to people who have no desire to work and schools where I don't have kids. So much of my money is wasted by the Canadian government I would vomit if I knew how much and where it went.

Thailand is a safe haven for me and I though things can irk a guy I would never bash it like I do my own country or like some of the grumpy fella's do that are here.

43% in income tax? That is crazy!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

It is also not quite accurate

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Im NOT a lemming.................not sure op will get that though...................ok "sheep" might be easier, .

Sorry, I am still not getting it.

Im "me" and I dont want to "fit in" with anyone else. If I think its wrong I dont do it and wont roll over and accept it. I really dont want to be like a lot of Thais I meet in my day to day life, so far all i have seen in the maybe 25 or so dealings I have had are 2 good Thais who I feel I can trust who are very kind, one worked in New Zealand for many years with Thai Air the other worked abroad almost all his life, Both have given me many things which I have reciprocated, these being plants. We meet occasionally for lunch where we take turns on paying.

Sadly one died recently.

All the rest appear to be nice on the surface but then do something which is not polite at all, many requests for money, dont turn up when stated yet come pleading for work, steal, lie, treat my land like its their own , drop rubbish etc etc. So being fair 2 out of about 25 have been decent people.The rest cant see beyond the end of their noses.

Although I must add we have a new head of village ex army whom I met and he seems very decent, his daughter was hilarious, studying in England and telling me about her boyfriend who DAd doesnt know about,,,cripes Im up to 4 people now so 4 out of 29, in general it seems the locals have little respect for their environment, themselves and others combined with selfishness and greed it doesnt look good.

Thai culture needs a GOOD HARD kick up the backside if this is "normal" and "fitting in" I want no part of it...................is what I meant.

Cue the rose brigade/ go home brigade.