Fit in

Somsrisonphimai

" we we're never colonized " , and therin lay the problem. You should have been , things would be better.

Please give the example of how things would be better.

Those yummy pate sub sandwiches you get in the ex-French colonies

0f62_359f.jpg

Edited by wym

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have been hearing about Thailand is undeveloped country since I was born. I mean can you or anyone explain what is considered developed country?

The people can read and write.

The people obey the law.

The police enforce the law.

The royalists have stopped treating the people like mushrooms and feeding them bullshit!

Free and fair elections take place.

true but then in a developed country it's so less FUN!

i love it when i have an "issue" here (whatever issue) and thai say no probrem! and most of the cases it indeed turns out NO PROBLEM ; whereas where i come from it would imply major fees, major kafka, major stress...

developed countries lost the art of taking things easy. everything is way too serious and complex and in the end the actual result (benefit) is not always better than some 3rd world solution to said issue. whenever i'm back in the west i AVOID at all costs all this shit, even when i could get some money out of it, they can keep their cash.

I think you guys had it all wrong about our take on the issue as mai pen rai. It is not like we don't worry or concern or not try to solve the problems. It is just that we do not want to wasting time and energy on things that we cannot control? We want to let thing runs its course. It is similar to " It is going to be ok."

• Like 1

Lets see...I now drive like there are no rule for the road...crowd into intersections...make new lanes where there are none...and try ever chance I get to make pedestrians run for their lives...I short change ever one...and if I get caught I just glare back at them and say nothing...I now watch Thai soaps...movies...and other forms of entertainment which portrays farangs as villains...I can hardly wait to go to immigration where everyone is so nice and helpful...and God bless the bank...they are safe keeping my money...and even let me have a small portion at their convenience...and I have learned to keep a few hundred baht in my pocket to contribute to the police benevolent fund...and I no longer worry about my gold necklace or smart phone...I involuntarily contributed them to promote Thai culture...

Oh...sounded like you are fitting in nicely and loving it.

I would say that I already fit. My country has prepared me for Thailand's dark side. Yes, thais are narrowminded, shortsited, and corrupt, and it causes lots of problems. But my people are world champions in narrowmindedness, short site, and corruption, while thais are more like high-school amateurs, so from bad side perspective Thailand feels like lighter easier version of home, there's no cognitive dissonance at all, in fact Europe and other "falang" places are much less fitting for me — too controlling, too limiting, too "lawful".

E.g. if you catch a pickpocket in Thailand, he or she will smile to you like nothing happened, pickpocket from my country will try to stab you. Thailand: Road cop stops you and asks for 100 baht for food. My place: Road cop stops you, takes your license with some absurd justification, and tells you to pay 5000 to get it back. Et cetera. Also, unlike my people thais don't crave for blood, and strong hand, and they are much less hateful and hypocritic.

On the other hand, good sides of LoS — absense of government control, mai bpen rai/go with a flow/live and let live attitude, as well as the obvious stuff, like climate, women, and costs, make it truly priceless.

Care to guess the country?

UK?

The double pricing and showing no price on markets will soon be over, then Thailand is full of shoppingmalls from Central with only big shops left.

The not obeying trafficrules and being selfish on the roads will also stop one day when Thailand gets real policemen. Nobody likes to be hurt in an accident. I see more rich Thai biking now, that is a good sign.

Thailand is just still an undeveloped 3rd world country on many fronts, there is enough money these days so it is just a matter of time before civilisation kicks in.

I have been hearing about Thailand is undeveloped country since I was born. I mean can you or anyone explain what is considered developed country?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

A developed country has a trash collection solution. Reading of someone dying from electrocution is not the norm. Traffic laws are generally obeyed because drivers know there is a consequence if they are not.

If you only knew how they got their driver license.

I would say that I already fit. My country has prepared me for Thailand's dark side. Yes, thais are narrowminded, shortsited, and corrupt, and it causes lots of problems. But my people are world champions in narrowmindedness, short site, and corruption, while thais are more like high-school amateurs, so from bad side perspective Thailand feels like lighter easier version of home, there's no cognitive dissonance at all, in fact Europe and other "falang" places are much less fitting for me — too controlling, too limiting, too "lawful".

E.g. if you catch a pickpocket in Thailand, he or she will smile to you like nothing happened, pickpocket from my country will try to stab you. Thailand: Road cop stops you and asks for 100 baht for food. My place: Road cop stops you, takes your license with some absurd justification, and tells you to pay 5000 to get it back. Et cetera. Also, unlike my people thais don't crave for blood, and strong hand, and they are much less hateful and hypocritic.

On the other hand, good sides of LoS — absense of government control, mai bpen rai/go with a flow/live and let live attitude, as well as the obvious stuff, like climate, women, and costs, make it truly priceless.

Care to guess the country?

UK?

Russia, or Mongolia?-

Most definitely fitting in. I cannot read or write (in Thai), know very little language, drive wherever my car will fit, even if the wrong way, pass on blind curves and hills as fast as I can get that thing to go. Someone coming? Mai Pen RAI! They can hit the ditch. I never say "I don't know" as any answer will do just to keep my face. Usually that answer is "no have" even though I am sitting on the very thing they are asking about. ANNNND I was made for eating with my spoon as primary utensil with the fork as a push tool. Saves me from using my thumb like I used to do.

OMG that's funny. clap2.gif

UK?

Nope. UK is one of those controlling, tame, safe, overregulated parks. My place is more like jungle — be or be eaten.

Any other ideas?-)

Germany, French, Italy, or Greece?

Ok, it's Russia. I thought Russia is the part of Asian Continent. So when you mentioned European, I did not think of Russia. Is it bad there? I am sorry but I have no desire to visit the country.

Why limit your question to two possible answers? There are many reasons farangs will never fit in....

The most important fact.....we have no rights here, so why must we adhere to Thai Customs? As much as I respect their customs, I feel no urge to follow them, as I am a well adjusted American, proud and solid in my ways. I do not wish to smile alot, and sometimes I forget to Wai and offer a handshake instead. Proud to teach some of my ways to willing Thai's. They never, ever mind.

Walking around and smiling to everyone, paying heaps of money to other people's families, driving without regard to rules and regulations, eating food left out for more than four hours, etc.. etc.., is just not me. But I do love Thailand regardless.

No, I do not walk around blindly and foolishy accept everything offered to me, as there are...as you must know by now, many locals who will use their customs/traditions as an excuse to make money, or gain an advantage. It is weak.

A wise traveller will give courtesy and respect to the host nation, but must be an ambassador of his own country as well. Walk tall, and be pround of your western flaws and habits. They really are aware of our shortcomings......much more than you think.

You can still enjoy Thailand...just do not be foolish, and pretend you are Thai.

• Like 1

But a father or uncle or neighbor raping a young girl would not only get put away in jail for a very long time, but most likely have to be put in solitary because the other inmates would kill them.

From what I've heard, this type of thing happens much more frequently in rural Thailand than in the west, and very often the girls would never tell anyone, not even their mother.

I think girls in the sex industry are disproportionally victims of this sort of crime.

I am not sure I should continue with this conversation since it is not within the content of the thead and the moderators will either delete or close it. You know people talk, and gossiping is very bad in Thailand, but I have never heard anything relating to rape or child molestation in my village. Most of the time, the case of boy and girl being together is out in the open.

Khun Som, I hope you've figured out by now that the point-of-view of many farangs in Thailand is highly distorted. NOT ALL, but many farangs interact mostly with females from the lower rungs of Thai society. For example, I'd agree with Wym that Thai girls in the sex industry are there typically because they are damaged goods. Single mothers, victims of molestation, desperately poor, uneducated, zero prospects, drug issues, etc. And predictably, many are from dysfunctional families.

Now consider that many farangs interact exclusively with Thai women from this background--including their families and circle of friends--and try to render their opinion about the whole of Thai society from that perspective. Many farangs in Thailand don't even have Thai male friends from the middle class or above. This is why the opinion of many farangs that you may read on TV is pretty close to complete BS. Some of what they say may be true in their small circle of association, but it's not representative of the rest of "normal" Thailand.

I agree with the part about most farangs mixing in the company of lower class Thais but that's simply because the only reason Western guys come here is for easy availabe sex with much younger women. Of course there are those who would refute that suggestion but i've never met one in 12 years who really came for the temples. However i disagree where you suggest the opinions of most TV members are bullshit. They are not , they are justified complaints or opinions. You tend to say as though you have some kind of superiour take on Thais and the rest of us are just small circle trailer trash. Middle or above Thai people have common traits irrespective of class or standing in society. Lack of common sense and logic would just about cover the whole lot of them. Even those graduated with top diplomas are agonizingly limited when it comes to general knowledge about the rest of the World. The said diploma would be worthy of toilet paper in most Western countries. I live on a private estate where virtually all are so called middle class. Plenty of Mercs & BMWs to give them face. I speak with them regularly but it's still only general everyday crap and they still have the same wierd beliefs as those little darlings selling their ass in Pattaya. Try to expand any conversation in respect of things outside Thailand and you may as well talk to the soi dog. I don't have any hi-so friends but i would't expect any different.

Yep as a visitor is thier country I'm just expected to bend over, gently part my bumcheeks and take it...not allowed to complain.

Umm...no, complaints are not allowed, 555. When you are in Rome, do what the Roman does.

But the Romans threw babies onto the tarpian rock, crucified criminals and believed in Jupiter! Don't do as the Romans, or the more stupid aspects of Thailand do, do what YOU think is right, no matter if you are in a backward third world corrupt country or not.

Edited by sms747
  • Like 1

Although I see many things wrong about Thailand, I feel pride and proud to be Thai. What about you? What it feels like to be Canadian? You are from Canada, right?

What things make you proud?

I am proud of our family value, taking care of the elders mentality and close nit.

I am proud of our carefree concept that is going easy in life, mai pen rai, don't worries your trouble will always find its way out.

I am proud of the country as a whole for being able to hold it together for many years, we were never colonized by the Western countries.

I am proud of our pad Thai, somtum, kow neuw and gai ping,555.

" we we're never colonized " , and therin lay the problem. You should have been , things would be better.

Ya, the neighboring countries that are doing so well like, Burma, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam?

Or maybe you meant Japan, but wait? I don't think Japan was colonized either was it?

Have you asked any Vietnamese lately how they liked colonization? Or Indians? Or Seminole Indians?

• Like 1

Why limit your question to two possible answers? There are many reasons farangs will never fit in....

The most important fact.....we have no rights here, so why must we adhere to Thai Customs? As much as I respect their customs, I feel no urge to follow them, as I am a well adjusted American, proud and solid in my ways. I do not wish to smile alot, and sometimes I forget to Wai and offer a handshake instead. Proud to teach some of my ways to willing Thai's. They never, ever mind.

Walking around and smiling to everyone, paying heaps of money to other people's families, driving without regard to rules and regulations, eating food left out for more than four hours, etc.. etc.., is just not me. But I do love Thailand regardless.

No, I do not walk around blindly and foolishy accept everything offered to me, as there are...as you must know by now, many locals who will use their customs/traditions as an excuse to make money, or gain an advantage. It is weak.

A wise traveller will give courtesy and respect to the host nation, but must be an ambassador of his own country as well. Walk tall, and be pround of your western flaws and habits. They really are aware of our shortcomings......much more than you think.

You can still enjoy Thailand...just do not be foolish, and pretend you are Thai.

But in the US, don't Americans promote the policy of English only?

Ok, it's Russia. I thought Russia is the part of Asian Continent. So when you mentioned European, I did not think of Russia. Is it bad there? I am sorry but I have no desire to visit the country.

That makes two of us. Yes, it's quite bad, and getting worse as we speak. In short: We combine bad sides of Falangland, and Thailand with no good sides whatsoever.

When I mentioned Europe, I said that's it's not for me, that's all. As for Asian continent, you are both right and wrong. Geographically Russia is located across Europe, and Asia, and we look pretty much like your average European, but culturally we are an Asian country.

Only the trailer trash type people. The rest promote multiculturalism. My children started taking foreign languages is the first grade. Parts of the US speak Spanish as a first language. Some parts speak French. Texas flew 6 different national flags at one time or another.

Yep as a visitor is thier country I'm just expected to bend over, gently part my bumcheeks and take it...not allowed to complain.

Umm...no, complaints are not allowed, 555. When you are in Rome, do what the Roman does.

But the Romans threw babies onto the tarpian rock, crucified criminals and believed in Jupiter! Don't do as the Romans, or the more stupid aspects of Thailand do, do what YOU think is right, no matter if you are in a backward third world corrupt country or not.

I think when people live in the community, they need to try to fit in just enough that they are not being an outcast or isolated. Be nice, be kind, and participate in the community because you never know those smiles and small talks you give to your neighbors can come in handy in the future.

• Like 1

I agree with the part about most farangs mixing in the company of lower class Thais but that's simply because the only reason Western guys come here is for easy availabe sex with much younger women. Of course there are those who would refute that suggestion but i've never met one in 12 years who really came for the temples. However i disagree where you suggest the opinions of most TV members are bullshit. They are not , they are justified complaints or opinions. You tend to say as though you have some kind of superiour take on Thais and the rest of us are just small circle trailer trash. Middle or above Thai people have common traits irrespective of class or standing in society. Lack of common sense and logic would just about cover the whole lot of them. Even those graduated with top diplomas are agonizingly limited when it comes to general knowledge about the rest of the World. The said diploma would be worthy of toilet paper in most Western countries. I live on a private estate where virtually all are so called middle class. Plenty of Mercs & BMWs to give them face. I speak with them regularly but it's still only general everyday crap and they still have the same wierd beliefs as those little darlings selling their ass in Pattaya. Try to expand any conversation in respect of things outside Thailand and you may as well talk to the soi dog. I don't have any hi-so friends but i would't expect any different.

You speak Thai of course? I have a Soi dog named Margaret and she is quite bright. I enjoy talking to her. She is trilingual. The weird beliefs you are referring to things like virgin birth, the world was created by an old white guy and praying for health and rain and such?

• Like 1

Not entirely. American schools have teachers who teach English to people who don't know it. But in order to thrive in this world, especially economically, English is needed. It is the language of the internet and the language of world trade, and the official language of almost 60 nations. Even China is working hard to assure that its students can speak English. It is the official language of the UN and many other international organizations.

Thailand can't thrive economically or become a developed nation until there is more English spoken to communicate with the rest of the world.

"English... is now the most widely used language in the world. It is spoken as a first language by the majority populations of several sovereign states, including the United Kingdom, the United States, Canada, Australia, Ireland, New Zealand and a number of Caribbean nations; and it is an official language of almost 60 sovereign states. It is the third-most-common native language in the world, after Mandarin Chinese and Spanish. It is widely learned as a second language and is an official language of the European Union, many Commonwealth countries and the United Nations, as well as in many world organizations." LINK

• Like 1

Well, in general if you want to live her long-term and mix with the Thais, then you simply just have to adapt and fit in. You can of course choose to hide out in a close expat-community and then you really do not have to change much.

But basically, you do not have so much choice really than to follow the rules and customs here. Like a Thai-person also must adapt as much as possible, when he/she moves to another country to live.

So I would say: "You have no choice, if you want to live amongst Thai-people"

• Like 1

UK?

Nope. UK is one of those controlling, tame, safe, overregulated parks. My place is more like jungle — be or be eaten.

Any other ideas?-)

Germany, French, Italy, or Greece?

in russia you don't kick dog,dog kicks you.

It seems people complain quite often the things they dislike in Thailand including sin sot, loud music, double pricing, driving, poor customer services, and so on. My question is simple, are you fitting into Thailand or do you want Thailand to fit into you?

For some it wouldn't matter if they are in Thailand, Disneyland, or farangland, they will always complain, they are not happy unless they are whinging.

And what better place to do it than at ThaiVisa! smile.png

• Like 1

It is difficult to "fit in" to music blasting all hours of the night or some of the other inconsiderate stuff that happens in Thailand.

You don't mean "fit in" you mean give up your rights and opinions and just accept everything as it is.... You do as you please and I will do as I please .... There are some things that I live with but I will never accept.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

It is difficult to "fit in" to music blasting all hours of the night or some of the other inconsiderate stuff that happens in Thailand.

You don't mean "fit in" you mean give up your rights and opinions and just accept everything as it is.... You do as you please and I will do as I please .... There are some things that I live with but I will never accept.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

No, not give up but compromise. What is the ultimate goal?

post-191572-13941714848563_thumb.jpg

The double pricing and showing no price on markets will soon be over, then Thailand is full of shoppingmalls from Central with only big shops left.

The not obeying trafficrules and being selfish on the roads will also stop one day when Thailand gets real policemen. Nobody likes to be hurt in an accident. I see more rich Thai biking now, that is a good sign.

Thailand is just still an undeveloped 3rd world country on many fronts, there is enough money these days so it is just a matter of time before civilisation kicks in.

Thailand is a developing country, not 'undeveloped'; there's a difference. It's behind some other developing countries and ahead of others - inside and outside Asia. There is no completely developed country and probably never will be. You really need to visit a so-called developed country to see the difference immediately. The UK, Western Europe/Scandinavia, the US & Canada, Australia & New Zealand I would say are the most developed countries where the infrastructure covers most of the country and not just big cities as in less-developed areas. Civil services and utilities basically work as they should.

There's much more, but I'm sure others can contribute.

Civilisation doesn't just kick in, it evolves over time. Unfortunately it's a country's rulers or politicians and the political structure that influence the rate of change more than anything else. It's not the money, it's how it's used.

• Like 1