Fit in

Somsrisonphimai

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I doubt if I'll ever "fit in." Nor would I want to, except to accommodate Thai ways. 6'2" and Chicago accent. But, I do like Thailand. I'd say the "western" countries are overdeveloped, too much of a nanny state to my liking. Some things I'd like to change about Thailand?, certainly. But to become bloated like the western countries, no way.

• Like 1

Do you think anyone will remember Ban Ki-Moon was a Korean when he dies? In that sense I am a man without a country. The Vietnam war was about KFC, Pizza Hut and MacDonald's opening in Hanoi. I think this year all three will be open. Do you have any idea how many people died for that deal?

2014. American Business finally begins the occupation of North Vietnam. Do you know how many 7/11's are in Thailand? There are almost 4000 in Bangkok alone. Look at what Hanoi is missing.

You do know that Thai men fought and died so America could open business in North Vietnam? How smart is that?

No I don't know any of those you mentioned. I believe I was still in the air and my mom and dad had not met each other during the Vietnam War.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I meant, did you know that Thailand fought for America during the Vietnam war and benefited greatly from that association. Many thousands of American troops were stationed all over Thailand for 15 years (not R&R) and built the infrastructure that jump started Thailand's industry in the 1970's. They even started some of the trade schools that still supply Thai industry today.

By early 1966, over 200 American combat aircraft were based on Thai soil, with a complement of over 9,000 USAF personnel. By the end of the year, there were over 400 planes and nearly 25,000 men. The capstone of this rapid build-up was the construction of the supposedly secret B-52 air base at Utapao, near Sattahip, south of Bangkok. Completed in spring 1966, it was the sixth base built by the US military in Thailand since 1960. It was also the most important and expensive. Construction of the base cost nearly $US 40 million, and required the labour of 25,000 American servicemen and 2,000 Thais.

http://journals.hil.unb.ca/index.php/jcs/article/view/292/465

Did all of those Americans fit it? Yup. I guess so.

Is that how the relationship between farang men and Thai women got started?

I knew that the US built the air runway in Koratch, my province, but I did not know the detail of it. Thank you for educating me on the Vietnam War. I have a lot of google to do for me to have this conversation with you.

Between 1950 and 1975 Thailand received from Washington approximately $US 650 million in economic aid, nearly 75 percent of which was directed toward counter-insurgency activities. A further $US 940 million was ear-marked for Thai defence and security, averaging annually over 50 percent of Bangkok's own expenditures on its armed forces. On top of this, an additional $US 760 million was paid out by Washington in operating costs, including the purchase of military equipment for Thailand and the payment of Thai troops serving in Vietnam. For the construction of air bases in Thailand, the US paid out $US 250 million, while American servicemen stationed in the country and those on leave from Vietnam pumped into the Thai economy another $US 850 million. With over $US 2 billion in total assistance from Washington just between 1965 and 1975.

If you convert the above to Thai baht today that's a whole bunch of money.

Many soldiers; American, Australian and even British met women in Thailand during the 1960's and 70's as the normal tour was a year or more.

No wonder why the US is in debt, look at money they gave away. They are probably given more out now to other countries they involved with.

BTW i've seen your post count is getting up quiet fast- do you want to get into competition with Naam or even JT???

What is a matter with you? I have lot of things to say, 555. My posts have rapidly gone up since I found this thread, Words Association, that I really like and so I have been exchanging words with people here. It is like a dictionary to me and I'll never know what people will respond in just one word.

I was in the military as a young man and my family also traveled a lot. I never accepted one culture as being better than another and first arrived in Thailand barely out of my teens. Now as I approach 100 years of age things haven't changed that much.

I don't insist on pronouncing words in Thailand in a way that feels good to my tongue. I don't insist in living a morality that feels good to my mothers morals. I don't insist on living a religion that feels comfortable to my parents.

Some people find out how smart their parents were as they get older I'm finding out that is not the case. Although well traveled my parents only lived in one country and were quite provincial. To be honest my parents were full of sh**. They were exposed to other cultures but were so busy being judgmental they forgot to learn anything new.

There is a book out called, All I really ned to know I learned in kindergarten. That was the case for my parents and grandparents and school teachers until grad school.

My Western family would not make it in Thailand. A lot of Farang here try to create problems by attacking Thai behavior. I'm trying to understand what it feels like to be Thai.

Although I see many things wrong about Thailand, I feel pride and proud to be Thai. What about you? What it feels like to be Canadian? You are from Canada, right?

What things make you proud?

I am proud of our carefree concept that is going easy in life, mai pen rai, don't worries your trouble will always find its way out.

I am proud of the country as a whole for being able to hold it together for many years, we were never colonized by the Western countries.

you are proud of these things ? proud of current affairs too i hope because theres a direct correlation

and if thaialnd was colonised maybe it wouldnt have the worst english comprehension in asia and some

of the widest gaps between the rich and the poor regarding things like wealth distribution and education ........

Go with the flow, there're some things that need to change, such as corruption etc which I think would improve the country but it is not my position to suggest such things. I view everything as different not wrong & don't let it make me mad

It is kind of fitting in then, right?

Soms - if that's you in the pic I want to know if you're a naughty lady or goody, goody? My vote is naughty lady.

555...I will leave the answer to your imagination. Although, I need help because my profile pic is being stalked...555

I was in the military as a young man and my family also traveled a lot. I never accepted one culture as being better than another and first arrived in Thailand barely out of my teens. Now as I approach 100 years of age things haven't changed that much.

I don't insist on pronouncing words in Thailand in a way that feels good to my tongue. I don't insist in living a morality that feels good to my mothers morals. I don't insist on living a religion that feels comfortable to my parents.

Some people find out how smart their parents were as they get older I'm finding out that is not the case. Although well traveled my parents only lived in one country and were quite provincial. To be honest my parents were full of sh**. They were exposed to other cultures but were so busy being judgmental they forgot to learn anything new.

There is a book out called, All I really ned to know I learned in kindergarten. That was the case for my parents and grandparents and school teachers until grad school.

My Western family would not make it in Thailand. A lot of Farang here try to create problems by attacking Thai behavior. I'm trying to understand what it feels like to be Thai.

Although I see many things wrong about Thailand, I feel pride and proud to be Thai. What about you? What it feels like to be Canadian? You are from Canada, right?

What things make you proud?

I am proud of our carefree concept that is going easy in life, mai pen rai, don't worries your trouble will always find its way out.

I am proud of the country as a whole for being able to hold it together for many years, we were never colonized by the Western countries.

you are proud of these things ? proud of current affairs too i hope because theres a direct correlation

and if thaialnd was colonised maybe it wouldnt have the worst english comprehension in asia and some

of the widest gaps between the rich and the poor regarding things like wealth distribution and education ........

What? Do you think Burma, Philippine, and India are better than Thailand? They were colonized by the western world, right? I don't like Thailand current politic affair and wish not to discus it, but I am still proud of Thailand.

Is the number of posts all that matter in this forum or what is said...more so, what is absorbed? Off topic, apologies.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I think people are saying that if you post a lot, you have no life, which I don't really care and I do have a life, but if I have thing to say, I am going to say it, quality or not, 555.

• Like 1

No wonder why the US is in debt, look at money they gave away. They are probably given more out now to other countries they involved with.

Don't you know that Thailand is seriously in debt and going in deeper? And what about the money for the rice scheme which Thailand doesn't count as debt?

Do you know that Thailand's household debt has increased massively to 80% of gross domestic product?

Is the number of posts all that matter in this forum or what is said...more so, what is absorbed? Off topic, apologies.

I think people are saying that if you post a lot, you have no life, which I don't really care and I do have a life, but if I have thing to say, I am going to say it, quality or not, 555.

I could reply or not, but what is said is or not said. Ahh...the better to not question such. Done.

Don't you know that Thailand is seriously in debt and going in deeper? And what about the money for the rice scheme which Thailand doesn't count as debt?

Do you know that Thailand's household debt has increased massively to 80% of gross domestic product?

If the ultimate measure of a country's worth is its government's skills in managing macroeconomic policy, or its population's ability to save and not get into debt, then I don't think many 'muricans would be holding their heads so high.

Particularly since the recent gross expansion of of debt in the developing world is largely due to the desperate "QE" measures the Fed's been forced to implement to stave off total collapse of world financial systems.

Which in turn is due to near-total incompetence in US management of its banking sectors leading up to the 2008 debacle.

• Like 1

If the ultimate measure of a country's worth is its government's skills in managing macroeconomic policy, or its population's ability to save and not get into debt, then I don't think many 'muricans would be holding their heads so high.

Particularly since the recent gross expansion of of debt in the developing world is largely due to the desperate "QE" measures the Fed's been forced to implement to stave off total collapse of world financial systems.

Which in turn is due to near-total incompetence in US management of its banking sectors leading up to the 2008 debacle.

If that's all you know, and what you believe, I can only feel sorry for you.

Speaking of mismanagement of banks, the Thai government owes about 1 trillion baht to the government owned Ag Bank for the rice scheme which is so filled with corruption that an audit would show the Ag Bank to be bust.

Soms - if that's you in the pic I want to know if you're a naughty lady or goody, goody? My vote is naughty lady.

AKA Madonna/whore complex.

Not an either/or thing is it?

Unless you define those (silly) terms, but doing so will quickly expose your social programming about what women are "supposed to be" like to qualify as being a "good girl".

Upper East side of Manhattan, very different from downtown Riyadh.

Alls I gots to say is <deleted>@k off a_@hole, My one liner really didn't require a "serious" comment. how about a little levity.

The recurring theme with moaners on this forum is all related to the lack of law enforcement, or even lack of laws.

Compare that to the UK, where it's hard to walk down the street without breaking some sort of law. Gun crime aside, Thailand has a negligible crime rate compared to the UK and almost all Western countries. It makes you wonder if continued repression and persecution is really the best way to secure law and order.

• Like 1

Thailand's crime rate is just as high if not higher than back home.

Problem is no one's getting arrested for those crimes.

Serious - violent - crime is a lot lower, at least compared to stateside, because the actual enforcement mechanism is more like how the Cosa Nostra used to keep order back in the old country, rather than official legal system.

Nice thing here is the BiB have both choices, and believe me they keep tabs on everything going on in their domain, mostly targeted at eliminating their (partners') competitors in the various vice industries.

The recurring theme with moaners on this forum is all related to the lack of law enforcement, or even lack of laws.

Compare that to the UK, where it's hard to walk down the street without breaking some sort of law. Gun crime aside, Thailand has a negligible crime rate compared to the UK and almost all Western countries. It makes you wonder if continued repression and persecution is really the best way to secure law and order.

What utter drivel, how an earth could you know as I bet most crime isnt even recorded here, just swept under the carpet.

And if killing someone whilst out driving due to no care and attention isnt a crime you are way off the mark.

• Like 2

I know that Thailand is in debt like most of the countries around the world. It does not make sense though that as much as Thailand is in debt, the value of Baht is still strong to the value of $ and EUR.

When I was a lad I got stabbed by a robber. In the hand luckily. Nasty scar, but lived.

There are a lot of foreigners getting stabbed to death here in Thailand. More and more every week.

I do not want to die from a stabb wound, so yes, I want Thailand to 'fit' in to me on this issue.

Ok, this is off topic but I have another thread saying about avatar/username. Could you go to the thread and explain your username/avatar? How did you come up with them? I am curious to know.

His username is a pretty accurate description of him....although I'm not sure about the fat and drunk part.

Because those of us with decades' worth of day to day experience in the Thai community can see with our own eyes that most "law enforcement" is done by the various people in authority but including the police acting in an informal manner with not paperwork at all nor involvement by anyone outside the local scene.

And many many crimes are committed by those very authorities, which of course no one has the power to challenge without putting their lives in danger.

Maintaining "order" here is very important, actual impartial enforcement of laws is often theoretical at best. The collection of statistics would be right down at the bottom of any police chief's list of priorities.

Edited by wym
  • Like 2

How do you know most crime isn't recorded here? Your statement is just as unfounded as you are claiming mine is, at least mine is based on statistics which are actually in the public domain.

Tell me how many rapes in Thailand last year then?

Excellent example, very much treated most of the time as an informal civil matter, with payment of a "fine" direct to the victim's family and/or forcing the boy to marry to the girl. Child molestation within the family or village would most likely not even be reported much less prosecuted.

Domestic assault is another one, that's usually completely ignored, in most cases not even considered a crime.

Pavena Foundation for Children and Women is mostly focused on sex trafficking, but will also help victims of the above crimes, and is able sometimes to help convince law enforcement units to actually do their job wrt such matters.

This foundation used to be government funded, but now relies on donations, a very worthy cause for those looking for one, I think currently supported in part by the Lions.

Edited by wym
  • Like 1

Go with the flow, there're some things that need to change, such as corruption etc which I think would improve the country but it is not my position to suggest such things. I view everything as different not wrong & don't let it make me mad

without corruption thailand would be another singapore! do you really want that?

No of course not, but it'll take a LOT more than just eliminating corruption (IMO impossible anyway) for Thailand to catch up with Singapore. Education for a start, another in effect impossible situation here.

• Like 1

Excellent example, very much treated most of the time as an informal civil matter, with payment of a "fine" direct to the victim's family and/or forcing the boy to marry to the girl. Child molestation within the family or village would most likely not even be reported much less prosecuted.

Domestic assault is another one, that's usually completely ignored, in most cases not even considered a crime.

Pavena Foundation for Children and Women is mostly focused on sex trafficking, but will also help victims of the above crimes, and is able sometimes to help convince law enforcement units to actually do their job wrt such matters.

This foundation used to be government funded, but now relies on donations, a very worthy cause for those looking for one, I think currently supported in part by the Lions.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/178944-women-lured-into-sex-by-aphrodisiac-coffee-juice/

No of course not, but it'll take a LOT more than just eliminating corruption (IMO impossible anyway) for Thailand to catch up with Singapore. Education for a start, another in effect impossible situation here.

Wasn't there a dictator there for 30 years? That would fix the Thai education system I'm sure.

It's strange, the word molestation is not in our vocabulary. Most often people do not think that it is a crime as you implied between the boy and the girl having sexual entercouse. They forced the boy and girl to get married not because they think it is a crime but because they have violated the spirit and that they should be pure before marriage.

Edited by Somsrisonphimai
  • Like 1