Fit in

Somsrisonphimai

I am proud of our family value, taking care of the elders mentality and close nit.

I am proud of our carefree concept that is going easy in life, mai pen rai, don't worries your trouble will always find its way out.

I am proud of the country as a whole for being able to hold it together for many years, we were never colonized by the Western countries.

I am proud of our pad Thai, somtum, kow neuw and gai ping,555.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

" we we're never colonized " , and therin lay the problem. You should have been , things would be better.

"Things would be better??" Sort of like the Philippines? Cambodia? Myanmar? Another know-nothing farang talking out of his a*s.

• Like 2

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Excellent example, very much treated most of the time as an informal civil matter, with payment of a "fine" direct to the victim's family and/or forcing the boy to marry to the girl. Child molestation within the family or village would most likely not even be reported much less prosecuted.

Domestic assault is another one, that's usually completely ignored, in most cases not even considered a crime.

Pavena Foundation for Children and Women is mostly focused on sex trafficking, but will also help victims of the above crimes, and is able sometimes to help convince law enforcement units to actually do their job wrt such matters.

This foundation used to be government funded, but now relies on donations, a very worthy cause for those looking for one, I think currently supported in part by the Lions.

It's strange, the word molestation is not in our vocabulary. Most often people do not think that it is a crime as you implied between the boy and the girl having sexual entercouse. They forced the boy and girl to get married not because they think it is a crime but because they have violated the spirit and that they should be pure before marriage.

Molestation may not be in your vocabulary but what it means is parents and older family members (sometimes friends and neighbours) fooling around or having sex with their own children. Not about a young couple having to get married to save the 'face' of the girl's family (as in many other societies too).

• Like 1

Been here 9 months - I feel sorry for the Thais - having to beg/currupt steel and borrow to survive.

My friends came to visit me - they will not return

Thailand is a "Rip-off dump"

I will probably go after my contract - low pay/value

Interested to know which country you are from.

Khun Som, I hope you've figured out by now that the point-of-view of many farangs in Thailand is highly distorted. NOT ALL, but many farangs interact mostly with females from the lower rungs of Thai society. For example, I'd agree with Wym that Thai girls in the sex industry are there typically because they are damaged goods. Single mothers, victims of molestation, desperately poor, uneducated, zero prospects, drug issues, etc. And predictably, many are from dysfunctional families.

Now consider that many farangs interact exclusively with Thai women from this background--including their families and circle of friends--and try to render their opinion about the whole of Thai society from that perspective. Many farangs in Thailand don't even have Thai male friends from the middle class or above. This is why the opinion of many farangs that you may read on TV is pretty close to complete BS. Some of what they say may be true in their small circle of association, but it's not representative of the rest of "normal" Thailand.

I agree with the part about most farangs mixing in the company of lower class Thais but that's simply because the only reason Western guys come here is for easy availabe sex with much younger women. Of course there are those who would refute that suggestion but i've never met one in 12 years who really came for the temples. However i disagree where you suggest the opinions of most TV members are bullshit. They are not , they are justified complaints or opinions. You tend to say as though you have some kind of superiour take on Thais and the rest of us are just small circle trailer trash. Middle or above Thai people have common traits irrespective of class or standing in society. Lack of common sense and logic would just about cover the whole lot of them. Even those graduated with top diplomas are agonizingly limited when it comes to general knowledge about the rest of the World. The said diploma would be worthy of toilet paper in most Western countries. I live on a private estate where virtually all are so called middle class. Plenty of Mercs & BMWs to give them face. I speak with them regularly but it's still only general everyday crap and they still have the same wierd beliefs as those little darlings selling their ass in Pattaya. Try to expand any conversation in respect of things outside Thailand and you may as well talk to the soi dog. I don't have any hi-so friends but i would't expect any different.

You've made up your mind that Thais are inferior to you, haven't you? Most of what you say is, in fact, BS. Do you think the Thais who've never left Thailand are any less worldly than, say, Americans who've never left the US? There's a whole bunch of the latter. Do you even speak Thai? When you say you speak "regularly" with these Thai acquaintances, what language is it in? And these weird beliefs, are they sort of like Christianity? Or any other religion? Anyways, no point debating as your bigoted views will clearly not change.

I would say that I already fit. My country has prepared me for Thailand's dark side. Yes, thais are narrowminded, shortsited, and corrupt, and it causes lots of problems. But my people are world champions in narrowmindedness, short site, and corruption, while thais are more like high-school amateurs, so from bad side perspective Thailand feels like lighter easier version of home, there's no cognitive dissonance at all, in fact Europe and other "falang" places are much less fitting for me — too controlling, too limiting, too "lawful".

E.g. if you catch a pickpocket in Thailand, he or she will smile to you like nothing happened, pickpocket from my country will try to stab you. Thailand: Road cop stops you and asks for 100 baht for food. My place: Road cop stops you, takes your license with some absurd justification, and tells you to pay 5000 to get it back. Et cetera. Also, unlike my people thais don't crave for blood, and strong hand, and they are much less hateful and hypocritic.

On the other hand, good sides of LoS — absense of government control, mai bpen rai/go with a flow/live and let live attitude, as well as the obvious stuff, like climate, women, and costs, make it truly priceless.

Care to guess the country?

A large developing country in South America?

What? Do you think Burma, Philippine, and India are better than Thailand? They were colonized by the western world, right? I don't like Thailand current politic affair and wish not to discus it, but I am still proud of Thailand.

well there was a lot of luck involved by not getting DIRECTLY colonized.

and yes it certainly was a good thing for thailand. a lot of misery in the world is the result of colonisation, alas.

• Like 1

Excellent example, very much treated most of the time as an informal civil matter, with payment of a "fine" direct to the victim's family and/or forcing the boy to marry to the girl. Child molestation within the family or village would most likely not even be reported much less prosecuted.

Domestic assault is another one, that's usually completely ignored, in most cases not even considered a crime.

Pavena Foundation for Children and Women is mostly focused on sex trafficking, but will also help victims of the above crimes, and is able sometimes to help convince law enforcement units to actually do their job wrt such matters.

This foundation used to be government funded, but now relies on donations, a very worthy cause for those looking for one, I think currently supported in part by the Lions.

It's strange, the word molestation is not in our vocabulary. Most often people do not think that it is a crime as you implied between the boy and the girl having sexual entercouse. They forced the boy and girl to get married not because they think it is a crime but because they have violated the spirit and that they should be pure before marriage.

Molestation may not be in your vocabulary but what it means is parents and older family members (sometimes friends and neighbours) fooling around or having sex with their own children. Not about a young couple having to get married to save the 'face' of the girl's family (as in many other societies too).

I know the meaning of the word. What I was saying was we don't hear about it in the village, only the young couple in love. However there were some stories about the young maids working for the rich family and were asked to also do other thing for the man of the house, not by choice. It is getting off the topic, so I better stop before the moderator comes knocking. Maybe my next thread I have a better question to discuss this type of issue.

I know the meaning of the word. What I was saying was we don't hear about it in the village, only the young couple in love. However there were some stories about the young maids working for the rich family and were asked to also do other thing for the man of the house, not by choice. It is getting off the topic, so I better stop before the moderator comes knocking. Maybe my next thread I have a better question to discuss this type of issue.

How about arranged village marriages, where the bride is minor? Ever heard of that?

How about arranged village marriages, where the bride is minor? Ever heard of that?

The age of consent in Canada is 16. All U.S. states set their limits between 16 and 18. How old is a minor?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of_consent_in_North_America

Edited by thailiketoo

Yep as a visitor is thier country I'm just expected to bend over, gently part my bumcheeks and take it...not allowed to complain.

Umm...no, complaints are not allowed, 555. When you are in Rome, do what the Roman does.

he might not be complaining.......might be here for the ladyboysthumbsup.gif

The double pricing and showing no price on markets will soon be over, then Thailand is full of shoppingmalls from Central with only big shops left.

The not obeying trafficrules and being selfish on the roads will also stop one day when Thailand gets real policemen. Nobody likes to be hurt in an accident. I see more rich Thai biking now, that is a good sign.

Thailand is just still an undeveloped 3rd world country on many fronts, there is enough money these days so it is just a matter of time before civilisation kicks in.

I have been hearing about Thailand is undeveloped country since I was born. I mean can you or anyone explain what is considered developed country?

Somsrisonphimai, you'd be hard put to find a truly 'developed' country anywhere on the planet these days!

But, what's normally meant by the phrase is that there's enough modern infrastructure to fit the demand and that standards of education and healthcare benefit the population, making sure that talent is developed and those needing medical help get it at a low or no cost. Added in is stuff like the latest in IT and internet access, a solid social security network, adequate housing available at all financial levels, freedom of speech within reasonable laws, the protection of citizens from violence, abuse, crime and scams and a low unemployment figure so that everyone gets a change to shine. A strong, (almost) incorruptible legal system is an absolute essential, as is government by democratic principles laid down in law, including a fair, free and open electoral system. Freedom of religion is another plus point for the ideal first world country.

Read through the above paragraph and you'll understand my first sentence...but I wish Thailand all the luck in the world in developing the dream! .

Edited by mimithewoof

When I was a lad I got stabbed by a robber. In the hand luckily. Nasty scar, but lived.

There are a lot of foreigners getting stabbed to death here in Thailand. More and more every week.

I do not want to die from a stabb wound, so yes, I want Thailand to 'fit' in to me on this issue.

What happened to the 25 year Indonesian visa you were getting?

Somsrisonphimai, you'd be hard put to find a truly 'developed' country anywhere on the planet these days!

But, what's normally meant by the phrase is that there's enough modern infrastructure to fit the demand and that standards of education and healthcare benefit the population, making sure that talent is developed and those needing medical help get it at a low or no cost. Added in is stuff like the latest in IT and internet access, a solid social security network, adequate housing available at all financial levels, freedom of speech within reasonable laws, the protection of citizens from violence, abuse, crime and scams and a low unemployment figure so that everyone gets a change to shine. A strong, (almost) incorruptible legal system is an absolute essential, as is government by democratic principles laid down in law, including a fair, free and open electoral system. Freedom of religion is another plus point for the ideal first world country.

Read through the above paragraph and you'll understand my first sentence...but I wish Thailand all the luck in the world in developing the dream! .

What is normally meant by developed countries is "A developed country or "more developed country", is a sovereign state that has a highly developed economy and advanced technological infrastructure relative to other less developed nations."

The other stuff is nice and Thai bashing and all that but you made it up.

We are in their country and need to respect that .

I am from Camada and I know it's not going to change for visitors ....so fit in.

As for corruption....we have it in huge payouts for non performance and ridiculous bonuses , but it's legalized through the compensation packages .

Let's drop this superior attitude and mybe learn from others.

i think thai are very tolerant towards farang who BEHAVE. i have made 1000's of small mistakes and all people stayed friendly to me because they know i'm farang (different culture/background) and not thai but i do my best. the worst that happened was that they treated me like a child, which was in fact very charming and funny too. as soon as i came to thailand i mixed with the locals and had to learn their language and basic customs since i have no thai wife or gf to deal with stuff for me. most people really appreciate me, some don't but that's their nature. i'll be leaving next year exploring a side of the globe i have never been. sofar i have no regrets about my stay here, no bad memories.

So you are a man with no country then, correct?

I don't need KFC, I have gai ping on a street vendors.

Do you think anyone will remember Ban Ki-Moon was a Korean when he dies? In that sense I am a man without a country. The Vietnam war was about KFC, Pizza Hut and MacDonald's opening in Hanoi. I think this year all three will be open. Do you have any idea how many people died for that deal?

2014. American Business finally begins the occupation of North Vietnam. Do you know how many 7/11's are in Thailand? There are almost 4000 in Bangkok alone. Look at what Hanoi is missing.

You do know that Thai men fought and died so America could open business in North Vietnam? How smart is that?

No I don't know any of those you mentioned. I believe I was still in the air and my mom and dad had not met each other during the Vietnam War.

I meant, did you know that Thailand fought for America during the Vietnam war and benefited greatly from that association. Many thousands of American troops were stationed all over Thailand for 15 years (not R&R) and built the infrastructure that jump started Thailand's industry in the 1970's. They even started some of the trade schools that still supply Thai industry today.

By early 1966, over 200 American combat aircraft were based on Thai soil, with a complement of over 9,000 USAF personnel. By the end of the year, there were over 400 planes and nearly 25,000 men. The capstone of this rapid build-up was the construction of the supposedly secret B-52 air base at Utapao, near Sattahip, south of Bangkok. Completed in spring 1966, it was the sixth base built by the US military in Thailand since 1960. It was also the most important and expensive. Construction of the base cost nearly $US 40 million, and required the labour of 25,000 American servicemen and 2,000 Thais.

http://journals.hil.unb.ca/index.php/jcs/article/view/292/465

Did all of those Americans fit it? Yup. I guess so.

Why do I get a strange feeling in my stomach when I read something about the "Vietnam war"?. The "Charly's" made it happen that so many soldiers were heroin addicted that they couldn't even sent them home.So they'd sent them to Europe first.

We had many of them in Germany,as they couldn't send them back to their folks the way they were. Then they'd found a way to get "their heroin" from Chinese guys in Holland.

That's how the heroin problem in ,Germany started. And then swapped over to other countries. Then the heroin production covered by the CIA in Laos, which was sold on not just America's streets. The purity killed a lot of people, while Army planes brought more heroin straight into the States.

Now you could come up with all the financial help for the poor Thai prostitutes, as they wanted to have fun as well.. And proud that some airports and friendship bridges were paid by your country.

".All of this heroin was smuggled into South Vietnam. Where? By 1971, according to a White House survey, 34%, or more than one-third, of U.S. troops were addicted to heroin. Instead of trying to restrain drug trafficking by its Laotian assets, the Agency participated in, engaged in,"

Please see:

http://www.voxfux.com/features/cia_drug_trafficking2.html

and:

http://www.shmoop.com/drugs-america/war.html

and:

http://www.americansc.org.uk/online/Forum/Vietnam_War.htm

and

http://www.mercenary-wars.net/vietnam/

An old American friend of mine who'd had been in Vietnam as a soldier had something written on his Zippo, I'll never forget.

. "If I had a farm in Vietnam and a home in hell, I'd sell my farm and go home."

What I'm trying to say is that America didn't really do Thailand a favor at this time,. It was just what they wanted to have.Or needed.

Sorry, for being so off topic, but the truth should be the truth. Wars seldom create winners.

Okay, if America had made it happen that I finally met my soul mate here, then thanks to Uncle Sam.-wai2.gif

Do you think anyone will remember Ban Ki-Moon was a Korean when he dies? In that sense I am a man without a country. The Vietnam war was about KFC, Pizza Hut and MacDonald's opening in Hanoi. I think this year all three will be open. Do you have any idea how many people died for that deal?

2014. American Business finally begins the occupation of North Vietnam. Do you know how many 7/11's are in Thailand? There are almost 4000 in Bangkok alone. Look at what Hanoi is missing.

You do know that Thai men fought and died so America could open business in North Vietnam? How smart is that?

No I don't know any of those you mentioned. I believe I was still in the air and my mom and dad had not met each other during the Vietnam War.

I meant, did you know that Thailand fought for America during the Vietnam war and benefited greatly from that association. Many thousands of American troops were stationed all over Thailand for 15 years (not R&R) and built the infrastructure that jump started Thailand's industry in the 1970's. They even started some of the trade schools that still supply Thai industry today.

By early 1966, over 200 American combat aircraft were based on Thai soil, with a complement of over 9,000 USAF personnel. By the end of the year, there were over 400 planes and nearly 25,000 men. The capstone of this rapid build-up was the construction of the supposedly secret B-52 air base at Utapao, near Sattahip, south of Bangkok. Completed in spring 1966, it was the sixth base built by the US military in Thailand since 1960. It was also the most important and expensive. Construction of the base cost nearly $US 40 million, and required the labour of 25,000 American servicemen and 2,000 Thais.

http://journals.hil.unb.ca/index.php/jcs/article/view/292/465

Did all of those Americans fit it? Yup. I guess so.

Why do I get a strange feeling in my stomach when I read something about the "Vietnam war"?. The "Charly's" made it happen that so many soldiers were heroin addicted that they couldn't even sent them home.So they'd sent them to Europe first.

We had many of them in Germany,as they couldn't send them back to their folks the way they were. Then they'd found a way to get "their heroin" from Chinese guys in Holland.

That's how the heroin problem in ,Germany started. And then swapped over to other countries. Then the heroin production covered by the CIA in Laos, which was sold on not just America's streets. The purity killed a lot of people, while Army planes brought more heroin straight into the States.

Now you could come up with all the financial help for the poor Thai prostitutes, as they wanted to have fun as well.. And proud that some airports and friendship bridges were paid by your country.

".All of this heroin was smuggled into South Vietnam. Where? By 1971, according to a White House survey, 34%, or more than one-third, of U.S. troops were addicted to heroin. Instead of trying to restrain drug trafficking by its Laotian assets, the Agency participated in, engaged in,"

Please see:

http://www.voxfux.com/features/cia_drug_trafficking2.html

and:

http://www.shmoop.com/drugs-america/war.html

and:

http://www.americansc.org.uk/online/Forum/Vietnam_War.htm

and

http://www.mercenary-wars.net/vietnam/

An old American friend of mine who'd had been in Vietnam as a soldier had something written on his Zippo, I'll never forget.

. "If I had a farm in Vietnam and a home in hell, I'd sell my farm and go home."

What I'm trying to say is that America didn't really do Thailand a favor at this time,. It was just what they wanted to have.Or needed.

Sorry, for being so off topic, but the truth should be the truth. Wars seldom create winners.

Okay, if America had made it happen that I finally met my soul mate here, then thanks to Uncle Sam.-wai2.gif

You are a bit mixed up. Thailand asked America for help. SEATO treaty. You can google.

• Like 1

The only thing in life you have total control over is your personal attitude.

Plus, to coin a well worn phrase ... I never rarely sweat the small stuff (except those pesky mosquitoes ... hate those little suckers. They love me - and I hate them).

All the above keeps me sane ... biggrin.png

OH ... I do ask that you don't drink my last beer. Happy to share the 2nd last beer though ... drunk.gif

Sounds like a plan!

I also feed the bally mozzies!

Have you heard of this?

post-155756-0-14450900-1394184228_thumb.

Here is a homemade trap to help keep you and the kiddos from being a blood donors!!!

HOMEMADE MOSQUITO TRAP:

Items needed:

1 cup of water

1/4 cup of brown sugar

1 gram of yeast

1 2-liter bottle

HOW:

1. Cut the plastic bottle in half.

2. Mix brown sugar with hot water. Let cool. When cold, pour in the bottom half of the bottle.

3. Add the yeast. No need to mix. It creates carbon dioxide, which attracts mosquitoes.

4. Place the funnel part, upside down, into the other half of the bottle, taping them together if desired.

5. Wrap the bottle with something black, leaving the top uncovered, and place it outside in an area away from your normal gathering area. (Mosquitoes are also drawn to the color black.)

Change the solution every 2 weeks for continuous control.

I just need your address to come and share that beer LOL

What? Do you think Burma, Philippine, and India are better than Thailand? They were colonized by the western world, right? I don't like Thailand current politic affair and wish not to discus it, but I am still proud of Thailand.

well there was a lot of luck involved by not getting DIRECTLY colonized.

and yes it certainly was a good thing for thailand. a lot of misery in the world is the result of colonisation, alas.

Yeah, let's not beat around the bush here. Thailand was not formally colonised simply because the British and the French needed a buffer state between their empires to create a balance of power in the region. This did not stop the British from hiving off substantial territory from Thailand in 1909 to be incorporated in the unfederated Malay states. Shan areas of Thailand were also incorporated into British Burma, and Laos and additional portions of what is now Cambodia were also transferred to French Indochina. So while there was never a colonial governor of Thailand, it's a stretch to say the country was fully independent, sovereign, or free. The same can be said of the WWII era Japanese presence ... a lot of Thais would like to think that the country stayed out of the war, but it was actually little more than a vassal state of Japan (which explains why the Japanese were able to build the Death Railway on Thai territory). I love Thailand, but the myth of Thai independence is nothing more than that... a myth. [And it's nothing to be ashamed of either... like all colonised countries, they were faced with larger and very ruthless western powers whose use of force was near impossible to resist].

Hm, generally foreigners (in any country) are not allowed to complain.

I am often complaining about certain things that I consider wrong in my own country

so why should I not complain within Thailand ?

Should I ask foreigners in my home country "Are you fitting in or do you want my country to fit into you?

Silly.

• Like 1