EC proceeds with today's election

Lite Beer

you have misunderstood what i wrote, its not about expats being interested or not, its about why would thais bother making foreigners aware when the elections are on, in their minds i would assume its non of our business

What is the English language news service for?

The truth is that these elections have been low key. There may be many reasons for this but apathy may top the bill

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Apathy? Not really, for apathy you expect to see low turnout across the board, but the numbers show higher turnouts last time in Pheu Thai areas (link) than at the last election.

It's the clash polling stations that suffered the low turnouts, so more like fear than apathy. It's still likely to be a factor.

Samut Saongkran suffered the second biggest difference in turnout between 2011 and 2014. For the current ones he's re-running today, 5th Rayong, 4th Petchaburi, 2nd Samut Songkram in the poor turnout list.

I'm not expecting huge improvements, even I'm afraid of voting knowing the yellow-yobos will be watching who votes.

A 10% turnout is apathetic and pathetic to boot

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

This is but the opening gambit of the ongoing process of piecing this election together. There are still polls to be held for Bangkok constituencies that were either partially or completely closed on February 2. And then of course are the eight missing provinces in the South - totaling 28 constituencies - which didn't have any registered candidates at all. That is the area of greatest contention between the Yingluck administration and the EC. The EC maintains that a new election decree would be necessary for those constituencies. Pheu Thai disagrees, so the EC has appealed to the Constitutional Court for a ruling. Until all these polls are held, the administration does not have a whisper of a chance of securing a 95 % parliamentary quorum. When the Constitutional Court declined to nullify the election last month, it was on the basis of Article 68, as the request was filed under Article 68. Article 108, however, will be the one that will decide this. In the meantime, Article 7 takes effect in three days, effectively cancelling the administration's caretaker status in lieu of a parliamentary quorum. Whether the remaining elections are scheduled or not, Article 7 and Article 108 will unquestionably be the focus of this month.

Sorry, Its Sunday and I am to lazy to look it up, exactly what do these articles you mentioned say?

Cheers

Many a yellow will be disappointed when on March 5 Yingluck will still be Caretaker PM, it is the EC that did not set up the elections!

But we also noticed a great change in the EC also, some one put the fear into them, so many that opposed anything that could possibly help the government have made a complete turn around, Why?

Cheers

Life is an onion.

You need to know what is under each new layer.

If the EC didn't set up these elections, then who the hell did?

You somehow seem to believe that there is a big queue of people looking to take over as caretaker PM. Not the case. Poisoned chalice. Better to leave Yingluck there flapping about trying to pay the irate farmers and deal with the secessionist movements whilst fighting many legal battles against her administration

This is but the opening gambit of the ongoing process of piecing this election together. There are still polls to be held for Bangkok constituencies that were either partially or completely closed on February 2. And then of course are the eight missing provinces in the South - totaling 28 constituencies - which didn't have any registered candidates at all. That is the area of greatest contention between the Yingluck administration and the EC. The EC maintains that a new election decree would be necessary for those constituencies. Pheu Thai disagrees, so the EC has appealed to the Constitutional Court for a ruling. Until all these polls are held, the administration does not have a whisper of a chance of securing a 95 % parliamentary quorum. When the Constitutional Court declined to nullify the election last month, it was on the basis of Article 68, as the request was filed under Article 68. Article 108, however, will be the one that will decide this. In the meantime, Article 7 takes effect in three days, effectively cancelling the administration's caretaker status in lieu of a parliamentary quorum. Whether the remaining elections are scheduled or not, Article 7 and Article 108 will unquestionably be the focus of this month.

There is also a problem under Article 127 which requires that the House of Representatives should be convened within 30 days of general elections and 30 days after that a new PM must be elected. A protest leader has already filed a case with the Constitutional Court challenging the government's continuing caretaker status beyond 4th March.

I wonder if elections will be necessary in the Peoples' Democratic Republic of Lanna. Tax revenue will be in short supply and they won't be able to afford around B2bn for elections at the drop of a hat. Perhaps they will take it as read that a majority of Lannanians want Thaksin to be emperor-for-life like Emperor Bokkassa of the Central African Empire (now republic) and dispense with elections.

So long as democracy prevails, Lanna won't happen.

Just need to get the losers of the decade to accept democracy and begin to organise parties and policies that benefit the people other than the top 1% of the country.

Thailand is changing and nice to see the Reds fighting off this coup. Just the courts now. whatever they rule, if it is less than democratic, it will be overturned one way or another by the look of things.

PS some of you guys need to get out more on a weekend.

Many a yellow will be disappointed when on March 5 Yingluck will still be Caretaker PM, it is the EC that did not set up the elections!

But we also noticed a great change in the EC also, some one put the fear into them, so many that opposed anything that could possibly help the government have made a complete turn around, Why?

Cheers

Life is an onion.

You somehow seem to believe that there is a big queue of people looking to take over as caretaker PM. Not the case. Poisoned chalice. Better to leave Yingluck there flapping about trying to pay the irate farmers and deal with the secessionist movements whilst fighting many legal battles against her administration

Yes, the poison chalice bit entered my mind as well.

Let Yingluck make more of a hash of a bad job and then the PTP will surely be unelectable for generations to come!!!!

The Dem's can come in and fix it as they know what they are doing (they tend to pick capable people rather than select people on nepotism grounds or those that are deemed to be owed a favour) and Thaksin aligned parties will be in the wilderness forever.

They won't make the mistake of ignoring the plight of the Northerners anymore as this is they know that this is key to keeping the nation united!!

• Like 1

There is also a problem under Article 127 which requires that the House of Representatives should be convened within 30 days of general elections and 30 days after that a new PM must be elected. A protest leader has already filed a case with the Constitutional Court challenging the government's continuing caretaker status beyond 4th March.

I wonder if elections will be necessary in the Peoples' Democratic Republic of Lanna. Tax revenue will be in short supply and they won't be able to afford around B2bn for elections at the drop of a hat. Perhaps they will take it as read that a majority of Lannanians want Thaksin to be emperor-for-life like Emperor Bokkassa of the Central African Empire (now republic) and dispense with elections.

Just need to get the losers of the decade to accept democracy and begin to organise parties and policies that benefit the people other than the top 1% of the country.

Thailand is changing and nice to see the Reds fighting off this coup. Just the courts now. whatever they rule, if it is less than democratic, it will be overturned one way or another by the look of things.

YS better speak up soon against the Lanna Republic idea. Now the RTA have found posters/banners. She had better be on the right side.

• Like 2

Cheers

Here he goes again

He knows more about the future of Thailand than any other person I Know

Must have a direct line on Skype to Taskin

how about 10.000 baht to the charity of my choice if at the end of next week if PTP has been ruled out of government

and of course Vice Versa

Edited by tezzainoz

Cheers

Life is an onion.

I also think leave Yingluck in power and watch her squirm when she has to pay all the debts thats she has laid on Thai's for the last 2 months

Cheers

dream on halfwit.post again cheers....try to think before your chubby redneck pinkies touch your keyboard..charlene...trolling 9-5..what a way to me make happy..w00t.gifw00t.gif

• Like 1

Cheers

All they've done is hold elections where they are able to. They're only the Election Commission. If protesters stop them holding elections what do you expect them to do? Form an army and go and tackle the protesters.

Based on your theory why don't the caretaker government pay the farmers. That's their job after all.

YS better speak up soon against the Lanna Republic idea. Now the RTA have found posters/banners. She had better be on the right side.

Some of them are now claiming that Sor Por Por Lanna actually meant Samatcha Pokpong Prachathipatai Lanna (Council to protect democracy of Lanna) which is obviously a lie. Anyway the symbolism of those red and white flags (with the blue for monarchy omitted) is pretty clear to most Thais.

Poo might have got confused and thought this was a group of friendly Laotians come to see her. After all everybody loves her, even foreigners.

Edited by Dogmatix
  • Like 2

Should they have not let people know in advance that they were planning to conclude the election today? This is the first i have read about it!

Does that mean they will take down now these awful traffic-obstructing girlie posters of Ms. Yingluck ???

Why? Do you want one for your bedroom?

Heaven no! I don't need to become depressive!

you have misunderstood what i wrote, its not about expats being interested or not, its about why would thais bother making foreigners aware when the elections are on, in their minds i would assume its non of our business

The truth is that these elections have been low key. There may be many reasons for this but apathy may top the bill

Apathy? Not really, for apathy you expect to see low turnout across the board, but the numbers show higher turnouts last time in Pheu Thai areas (link) than at the last election.

It's the clash polling stations that suffered the low turnouts, so more like fear than apathy. It's still likely to be a factor.

Samut Saongkran suffered the second biggest difference in turnout between 2011 and 2014. For the current ones he's re-running today, 5th Rayong, 4th Petchaburi, 2nd Samut Songkram in the poor turnout list.

I'm not expecting huge improvements, even I'm afraid of voting knowing the yellow-yobos will be watching who votes.

A 10% turnout is apathetic and pathetic to boot

Well I see the people on Pantip complain about the election not being advertised (I thought it was just me that didn't know about it, but nope, people living in those districts didn't know either), and I see Somchai has chosen the seats that had the poorest turnout (the 2nd, 4th 5th entries in the poor turnout list), so I'm expecting to see tomorrow very poor turnout numbers and Somchai doing a PR piece on how low turnout is an indicator of support for Suthep's lot.

Sigh.

Looks like the games aren't over yet.

• Like 1

To put it into perspective, the PDRC mob in Lumpini if they all banded together and voted as a bloc could not ouster the CEO of most mid range businesses in Bangkok.

9,000 voters is more than Suthep has left with him and thats for sure.

And they want to run the country?

Number as they are now, there are not enough of them to fill the 400 seats on the Council suthep talked about.

Edited by jennywren

Your link does not show that turnouts are higher than the last election. It states that in provinces that voted big for PTP in 2011 had higher turnouts for this election than did provinces which voted big for the DEMS. According to the charts, EVERY province showed a LOWER turnout in 2014 than in 2011.

e.g.: Chart 2: Comparison between 2011 and 2014 turn-out : Sorted by lowest difference: 1st line is Nong Bua Lamphu with 61.14% turnout in 2014; 69.07% turnout in 2011 for a total REDUCTION in turnout percentage of 7.93%. So, in the very-best-case province, the turnout is still REDUCED by over 10%.

EDIT: Additional notes gleaned from the link you provided: Most of the "red" strongholds show a 20% reduction. Udon Thani, Roi Et which both enjoyed better than 4:1 PTP to DEMS ratio in the 2011 polls lost more than 20% of their total turnout in this 2014 election (69/54 and 70/53 respectively). Add to that the fact that 8% of the voters destroyed their ballot ("spoilt") and another 6-8% voted "no vote" in even these blood-red provinces, you're looking at wide-spread apathy.

Edited by truk39

To put it into perspective, the PDRC mob in Lumpini if they all banded together and voted as a bloc could not ouster the CEO of most mid range businesses in Bangkok.

9,000 voters is more than Suthep has left with him and thats for sure.

And they want to run the country?

Number as they are now, there are not enough of them to fill the 400 seats on the Council suthep talked about.

1/ they are not voting

2/ not every supporter is in Lumpini Park. Many have to work to make a living.