Why do we have to leave the country every 90 days if they're willing to give us a 1 year visa?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can understand your frustration but in reality you have given very little information about your circumstances.

I can see that you are in business so I suppose you have a WP?

I have no idea if you meet the income requirements of the WP or are married or over 50

but as you work only a marriage extension would be useful as you need the WP.

A retirement extension excludes the possibility of obtaining a WP.

Good luck with your visa runs.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Query: I'm not interested in complying with any of the conditions that the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs / Thai Immigration Bureau have established for a long-term stay in Thailand so how can I stay long-term in Thailand?

Query . I am not interested in complying with any of Australian immigration rules.

How can I enter Australia and stay long term on a dodgy ED visa ?

• Like 2

Well, thanks for your efforts joe, but the bottom line is that I have to leave the country again. My question had nothing to do with extension, I'm aware of the options but I guess that my question was a rhetorical one and that there is no reply. JL Crab is probably the nearest to the mark.

With your visa, you have to leave Thailand at the latest 90 days after every entry because this is the visa you applied for and received. The multiple-entry non-O visa is designed for people who need to visit Thailand several times a year, for one of the purposes for which this visa is offered. It is not for the purpose to live in Thailand for one year at a time. It is for people who live outside Thailand and visit Thailand for a short period at a time. Therefore, since you say that you live in Thailand, it seems that you applied for the wrong visa to suit your purpose.

Ok Maestro, I don't want to get married and I don't want a retirement extension, I just want to spend most of my time in Thailand, please tell me what Visa I should have applied for.

get a job?

and then a non-immigrant B

let the lawyers do all the paperwork

never do another visa run again

just show up once a year at immigration for an hour or 2 to smile and show you are still breathing

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Query: I'm not interested in complying with any of the conditions that the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs / Thai Immigration Bureau have established for a long-term stay in Thailand so how can I stay long-term in Thailand?

Query . I am not interested in complying with any of Australian immigration rules.

Beats me -- ask someone from Australia.

The Thai specific brand of xenophobie requires that foreigners are not allowed to own land, become a Thai Citizen (irrevocable), have permanent (irreevocable) residency status, vote, run for electoral office, practice law, or hold any position of administrative authority. Yeah, yeah, there are possible technical exceptions to this, but using "irrevocable" means that there are very few.

Foreigners are therefore reminded that they are here at the whim of the Thai government, can be expelled without notice, and can never gain the rights and priveleges afforded a Thai National by being required to visa runs, 90 day reporting, annual extension renewals etc.

I'm not complaining about the situation, just stating that the visa and residency laws (and dozens of other laws restricting foreign involvement) simply reflect their feelings of historical independence, sovereignty, and xenophobia.

To be fair to Thailand, as regards property ownership, I found the same thing in the Czech Republic after the fall of the wall. The thinking was that German funding would allow the wholesale buying of a Czech property driving costs up to the point that Czechs would be shut out of the market. So, Thai thinking may have a similar track. Hmmm, some young Thai PhD student candidate might want to see if there is noticeable purchase of property via newly registered companies with Chinese money behind them. I cannot see wealthy Chinese letting these regulations stand in the way of having property here.

Again, with some reflection, I have been a guest of some two dozen countries. They allowed me to visit so I don't get upset with Thailand not granting easy citizenship. Hmm, brings on the thought that not a few western countries are now wrestling with immigration issues where immigrant groups are pushing for changes in the host country. Guess it's a bit complicated?!

• Like 1

So as to this topic as to many topics before, there seems to be the tone "Don't they realize ...?" to which I reply "Yes .. they realize."

maybe... but I think it is more likely... they don't care.

They have a bureaucracy to support (employ).

Government agencies are not in the business of getting rid of their employees...

No matter how much the rules might change the bureaucracy isn't going anywhere -- When people ask "Don't they realize how much the long-term farang contributes to the Thai economy and could conceivably more contribute?", again, I would answer yes they realize ... and compared to overall annual influx of international visitors and their average daily expenditures, such a contribution is minimal.

• Like 2

I for one am grateful of the 90 days rule or I may end up being holed up in one country (ie Thailand) for 365 days a year, that is NOT what I Ieft the UK for.

Isn't it such a great hardship to spend a little money and go and see another country for a day or 2 every 3 months, how do you manage to cope with such 'stress'

You poor lamb.

• Like 1

I have a retirement visa and spend 60 baht to send my 90 day check-in via EMS. Immigration sends me back the next check-in date by return mail. Last time I renewed my visa, it took about 30 minutes - not counting the time I had to wait in line to get an appointment number and kill time for half a day until my number was called. It's possible to get a fixed appointment online although I've never been able to find an available slot. Compared to 10 years ago, it's a pleasure.

Two things to keep in mind for other visa categories; 1) you have no entitlement especially anything even close to citizenship. You're a guest here and it's not a bad place to live for cheaper than just about anywhere else; 2) Unless you were born here, you will never understand the eastern mind so applying western "logic" will always leave you wanting.

You tend to forget cultural differences that exist at home when you're away from it. For example, a mother was helping her daughter move into her dorm room for her first year at college. They were hanging curtains on the window when the dorm room door opened.

"Well ha there, ahm Ellie May from Tennesse, where y'all from?"

The mother, still standing on a chair turned and looked down.

"We are from a place that people know better than to end a sentence with a preposition."

"Oh yeah, mah bad! So... where y'all from, &lt;deleted&gt;?

Edited by Neilcnx

Do you have to leave every 90 days when you have a work permit ?

Only if the company you are working for and/or your salary does not meet the requirements for an extension of stay.

As always it is always about the money.

I think you have misunderstood the whole thing. You have to report to the immigration office every 3 months with the prof of your residence and you need not go out of the country every 3 months. I had a friend who was making the same mistake. In this way the police know where you are at all time. It is good for the authority and your own security when immigration know exactly where you are. If your family need to truck you they can just contact the immigration and your latest address will be available.

But if you have a short time visa like 3 months etc, then to renew your visa you have to have a visa run. That is go to nearest border and get a new visa. You can avoid that also if you have an employment visa, marriage visa, education visa or retirement visa. See if which category you are.

^ Interesting article in the Bkk Post Magazine this week about this subject that contradicts your post- essentially how easy it is for Thais to go to US and work, legally or not. Plus all a Thai couple have to do is give birth to a baby and Voila , they can apply for citizenship to care for their new US citizen baby.

Sorry, I've been hassled too many times at the immigration office for under table money, even when I am 100 % compliant to buy any of the " it's so easy, blah blah go home if you don't like it " BS . I refuse to pay, so I go on 90 day, life- threatening stamp runs.

Are you American? Who tell you that having a baby in the US make its parents qualify for US citizenship? Not true.

delgarcon

"They " do not give anyone a one year "visa"! The one exception being the O/A visa which does permit an entry extending for 12 months.

No other "visa" is intended to facilitate a long term stay.

If a long term stay (without border runs) is desired then an extension of stay is available to those who meet the requirements.

Meet the extension of stay requirements and all that is then asked for is a 90 day report which can be done in person , by a representative or by post.

Easy ! smile.png

I doubt that you can. The Immigration folk are very tough, and yes, they do put folk on the next flight back.

• Like 1

It is because of the immigration act of 1979 that only allows for 90 day entries from a visa.

Some historical background for those interested that this has not always been the case:

• The Immigration Act B.E. 2470 (in 1927) established a regulation for aliens to request permission to enter the Kingdom. Prior to 11 July 1927 entering and leaving Thailand was done freely.

• The Nationality Act B.E. 2456 (1913) established the concept of Thai nationality. Prior to that there was not legal concept who was Thai and who was not: thereby alien.

It is because of the immigration act of 1979 that only allows for 90 day entries from a visa. A OA visa for retirement is an exception to the rule.

If you can get an extension of stay you don't have to leave every 90 days you just report to immigration.

Most people that can get a multiple entry visa could qualify for an extension if they wanted to.

This has been about my experience. No problems and always bring Thai National along. I fear revealing the location as things work very well there. Upon returning to Thailand and with the help of dear friend and lawyer, will be vigorous to lobby for immigration reform. When you can show clearly how it will help, Thailand. It will happen. No complaints.

Edited by nithisa78

It is because of the immigration act of 1979 that only allows for 90 day entries from a visa. A OA visa for retirement is an exception to the rule.

If you can get an extension of stay you don't have to leave every 90 days you just report to immigration.

Most people that can get a multiple entry visa could qualify for an extension if they wanted to.

This has been about my experience. No problems and always bring Thai National along. I fear revealing the location as things work very well there. Upon returning to Thailand and with the help of dear friend and lawyer, will be vigorous to lobby for immigration reform. When you can show clearly how it will help, Thailand. It will happen. No complaints.

Great -- I expect there is great clamor here in Thailand and all-over the world for immigration reform on behalf of young, wealthy, non-citizens of a country who wish to remain long-term in such country without the need to comply with any provisions of existing long-term immigration law and/or regulations.

I doubt that you can. The Immigration folk are very tough, and yes, they do put folk on the next flight back.

I've seen this (dramatised) on Border Security and always wondered who pays for that air ticket?

An option is at least I heard of for 1 million baht get a 6 year visa out of Pattaya,

There is no such visa.

Plus you cannot get visas inside the country unless you qualify for certain extensions of stay and none of them are good for 6 years.

Some very interesting replies on here, thanks for your input and yes it is far easier to settle here than many other countries, including my own UK, so I agree that I shouldn't be whinging. I just do not like the visa run options out of Koh Phangan. As I've said, I understand the need to keep track of us although it doesn't really work does it! There are plenty of low life foreigners that are living here illegally and giving nothing to the economy and imo local reporting every 90 days would be much more efficient and could attract more revenue as well as saving more lives!

Anyway, I'm going over to the immigration office in Samui in the morning to see what my options are, I'll let you all know.

• Like 1

The Thai specific brand of xenophobie requires that foreigners are not allowed to own land, become a Thai Citizen (irrevocable), have permanent (irreevocable) residency status, vote, run for electoral office, practice law, or hold any position of administrative authority. Yeah, yeah, there are possible technical exceptions to this, but using "irrevocable" means that there are very few.

Foreigners are therefore reminded that they are here at the whim of the Thai government, can be expelled without notice, and can never gain the rights and priveleges afforded a Thai National by being required to visa runs, 90 day reporting, annual extension renewals etc.

I'm not complaining about the situation, just stating that the visa and residency laws (and dozens of other laws restricting foreign involvement) simply reflect their feelings of historical independence, sovereignty, and xenophobia.

I think that pretty much sums it up. A lot of posts have been giving technical or legal commentary/advice which is not what was being asked for. You hit the nail on the head, followed by a 'like it or lump it'

• Like 1

...I don't want a retirement extension, I just want to spend most of my time in Thailand, please tell me what Visa I should have applied for.

Are you saying that you meet the age requirement for the retirement extension but you don't want to meet the other requirements for it?