Finnish Man Lays Down in Road and Tour Bus Runs Over Him

Rimmer

Finnish Man Lays Down in Road so Tour Bus Runs Over Him

PATTAYA – March 1, 2014 [PDN]; at 11.00 p.m. Pol.Lt.Col. Issaranuwat Jongaphichaikul (Investigation officer of Pattaya city police station, Dong Tarn Curve Sub-branch) and the rescuers of Sawang Boriboon Tharmma Satharn Foundation, Pattaya city, together rushed to inspect the accident of a white tour bus, license number 32-4810 Bangkok, which belonged to Kim Hor Tour Limited Partnership. The bus had run over a foreigner who was walking across the road killing him instantly. The Incident occurred at Jomtien Palm Beach hotel, Jomtien second road, Moo 12 Tambon Nong Prue, Amphur Banglamung, Chonburi province.

At the incident the officers found the corpse of a foreign man who wore a black T-shirt with long sleeves and military-style trouser. His head had been crushed and there were many torn wounds on his body. The officers searched in his trousers’ pocket and found a passport. The deceased was a Mr. Timo Kalevi Kantsila, aged 59, Finnish nationality. He also had 29 THB so the officers kept them for evidence.

Upon investigating Mr. Natthawuth Kaewsuk, aged 42, who was the tour bus driver, told police that he was driving back to Pattaya Park hotel and when he got to the incident point where he saw Mr. Timo Kalevi Kantsila (the deceased) was walking across the road but when the tour bus approached him then he lay down on the road in front of the bus but he couldn’t brake in time and the bus run over him killing him instantly.

Full story:http://www.pattayadailynews.com/pattaya-news/2014/03/02/finnish-man-lays-down-in-road-so-tour-bus-runs-over-him/

pdnews.jpg
-- Pattaya Daily News 2014-03-02

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless there is a different source, it seems the only witness to this tragic suicide was the bus driver.

This post started me thinking.

What if the bus driver was speeding and this guy was just casually (drunk or not) crossing the road, hopefully we will find out the truth.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Yeah, we don't know what happened for sure from the news story.

However, it does sound off to both be carrying a passport AND only 29 baht.

Foreigners carrying passports are usually on some kind of task unless in transit somewhere.

It's also a fair bet 99 percent of foreign tourists are carrying more than 29 baht on them.

Neither fact (if true) means much, but together are clues.

But if he carrying his passport for posthumous I.D. purposes, why not also carry a note?

• Like 2

Re: carrying his passport

Maybe he read the TV posts about foreigners getting arrested because they weren't carrying their passport ?

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 2

O.M.G. So, So, Sad..

Poor man, imagine his last moments,

There must of been a better option than that, he could of went home to ''Finland'' and got help.., but i suppose when you are so so down, you dont think like that...

Heart goes out to him..

R.i.P.

SAD....

why quotation marks when you mention the country he is from?

am i missing something obvious here or i just don't get the joke or what?

@janderton.

Not wanting to turn this into a discussion about carrying your passport and legality of not carrying it, but I have been living here in Thailand for quiet a few years already and I only carried my passport while being in transit, for example Pattaya to BKK or upcountry. While in Pattaya I never ever carried my passport with me except if going to immigration and I never got asked by the police for my passport. They only asked me for my driving license when driving a vehicle.

:wai:

How on earth would a cop know if this man had a congenital disorder? Because he had 29bt in his pocket he got jacked by a bar girl? How could one make such an assumptions?

If the man carelessly stepped in front of a bus is a tragic accident, a man committing suicide is a hole different matter and could make a big difference to a grieving family.

I am aware of such pronouncements but I know for a fact at any given time most tourists are NOT doing so, nor SHOULD they. It's much safer to lock up your passport at home or in a hotel. Certainly when going to the beach, carrying with your passport would be almost insane.

as far as i recall thaivisa forums rules , it is not allowed to give advice to break thai laws...

Unless travelling any distance I only ever carry a plastic laminated credit-card size copy of my passport. Photo page one one side and visa on the other.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that there is a 24 hour 'grace' period to present your passport at the appropriate police station.

I was one asked for my passport by the Police. I replied "mai mee" and they just waved me on.

Edit: Apologies mods, this is getting off-topic.

Edited by Bpuumike

Yeah, we don't know what happened for sure from the news story.

However, it does sound off to both be carrying a passport AND only 29 baht.

Foreigners carrying passports are usually on some kind of task unless in transit somewhere.

It's also a fair bet 99 percent of foreign tourists are carrying more than 29 baht on them.

Neither fact (if true) means much, but together are clues.

But if he carrying his passport for posthumous I.D. purposes, why not also carry a note?

It does sound "off". However, there may be a perfectly reasonable explanation. Tonight, for example, before I went up the road to 7 Eleven for some beers, I threw on a pair of shorts and grabbed a couple of 100 baht notes. When I got home and emptied my pockets, I realised that my passport was still in the sneaky side pocket and there was 14 baht in the other pockets...thankfully I didn't die.

to your knowledge

By law, you must carry your passport with you at all times in Thailand. Tourists have been arrested because they were unable to produce their passport

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand/local-laws-and-customs

I am aware of such pronouncements but I know for a fact at any given time most tourists are NOT doing so, nor SHOULD they. It's much safer to lock up your passport at home or in a hotel. Certainly when going to the beach, carrying with your passport would be almost insane.

I carry my passport with me always, everywhere I go, even while in the U.S.

I always know where it is, never have to look for it, never without it.

I must be insane.

Lol

to your knowledge

By law, you must carry your passport with you at all times in Thailand. Tourists have been arrested because they were unable to produce their passport

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand/local-laws-and-customs

Just to confuse the " Carrying Passport issue "---Here is a part of a Travel Advisory To Thailand from N.Z--

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General travel advice

It is a requirement under Thai law to carry photo identification at all times. A New Zealand driver’s licence or a photocopy of the biodata page from a passport would be adequate identification in the first instance---?????

-----Unfortunately--no form of I.D would have saved this man---R.I.P

Edited by Bucko

I carry my passport with me always, everywhere I go, even while in the U.S.

I always know where it is, never have to look for it, never without it.

I must be insane.

Lol

Perhaps. coffee1.gif

If I did that it would be worn out, lost, or stolen in a few years, max.

Edited by Jingthing

Has anyone EVER heard of someone commuting suicide this was?

So, what odds its suicide, or the driver just ran over someone?

I think I've heard of it, yes.

Does this case sound like that?

Probably not.

First thing they should do of course is check the victim for level of alcohol. But really anyone could be run over here.

Probably not.

First thing they should do of course is check the victim for level of alcohol. But really anyone could be run over here.

Lying down in the road. Hmmmm. Hardly commonplace.

Maybe he had a ground floor apartment.

Probably not.

Lying down in the road. Hmmmm. Hardly commonplace.

Maybe he had a ground floor apartment.

If you believe the story. The driver ran over this guy. For whatever reason, he didn't or couldn't run away. So this story saves his arse. Is it true? Does anyone know other than the driver and the dead man?

• Like 1

I have never seen drivers in Thailand slow down for pedestrians. Even on zebra crossings they don't slowdown or giveway to those using them, it's as if these crossings don't even exist.

• Like 1

Unless there is a different source, it seems the only witness to this tragic suicide was the bus driver.

This post started me thinking.

What if the bus driver was speeding and this guy was just casually (drunk or not) crossing the road, hopefully we will find out the truth.

Either way, it's 'Death by Misadventure' : happens all over the world, but because it often happens to middle-aged/older men in Thailand, we attach a special significance to it. If it *was* suicide, I'll repeat my mantra : it doesn't have to be this public or this messy. A bathtub full of water and a bottle of Mekhong whiskey - if you cant afford those two, you have no business leaving your home country. I'm sorry if that sounds cold, but this incident would have impacted many people beyond the victim : it doesn't have to be that way. I have absolutely zero problem with folk taking their own lives - if anything, I believe assisted euthanasia should be a right worldwide - but I cant understand why so many guys seem to put so little planning into their last day on the planet when women can do it with a handful of pills.

• Like 1