Phuket Police arrest man with counterfeit US$10,000 'Nan Francisco' bank notes

webfact

Phuket Police arrest man with counterfeit US$10,000 ‘Nan Francisco’ bank notes
Phuket Gazette

1_20143315233989_TwyTaLpLFnqwzcdQYDhggpB
THE BUCK STOPS HERE: Police arrest a man for trying to exchange counterfeit US$10,000 bills. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: -- Phuket Tourist Police last night arrested a man who tried to exchange counterfeit US$10,000 bank notes that read “Nan Francisco” and totaled more than 157 million baht.

Wachirawich Janjaroenchaisin, 40, was arrested during a sting operation after police received a tip-off that someone was trying to exchange US$10,000 bank notes on the island.

“Officers pretended to be exchange brokers and made an appointment with the suspect at Black Canyon in Central Festival Phuket,” said Deputy National Commander Supaset Chokchai of the Tourist Police.

After the suspect presented 482 US$10,000 bank notes, the police revealed themselves and examined the bank notes. They quickly noticed that the bills named the Northern California city of “San Francisco” as “Nan Francisco”.

“We contacted the United States embassy for additional help. The embassy confirmed that the notes were counterfeit and that the US$10,000 bill had not been produced for public use since 1936. Its only use today is for bank-to-bank transactions,” explained Col Supaset.

Mr Wachirawich said he was exchanging the money for someone else for a fee of three baht per dollar.

“This is the first time we have found US$10,000 bills in Thailand,” said Col Supaset.

The suspect was charged with possession and use of counterfeit US dollar bank notes. Police are now searching for more suspects.

The case was transferred to Wichit Police Station, said Col Supaset.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2014/Phuket-Police-arrest-man-with-counterfeit-US-10-000-Nan-Francisco-bank-notes-26728.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2014-03-03

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

‘Lawyer’ arrested in Phuket for passing 482 fake US$10,000 notes
Eakkapop Thongtub

1393836431_1.jpg
Police with the fake notes.

PHUKET: -- Police last night (March 2) arrested a Thai lawyer in possession of B145 million worth of apparently counterfeit US Dollar notes some of which he was planning to exchange for Thai baht.

On Saturday the Tourist Police received a tip-off from staff of an exchange booth, who said they had received a call from a man saying he wanted to quietly exchange some money.

Worried that they might be a target of a scam, the booth staff arranged to meet the man with the money, lawyer Wachirawich “Geng” Janejarernchaisin, 39. They then called the police, who sent undercover officers along to the meeting.

After inspecting the US$10,000 note, the exchange staff said they could not change the money immediately, but made an appointment to meet Mr Geng at the Black Canyon coffee shop in Central Festival Phuket the following day.

The staff and Mr Geng met initially without the police, who later arrived and identified themselves. They found Mr Keng had 482 of the US$10,000 notes in his possession, all of which he intended to exchange. They arrested him.

“He also told the staff that the money was from a politician who wanted to exchange money quietly. So, the money exchange staff felt that there had to be something wrong. That’s why they reported it to us,” Pol Col Jirapop Puridech from Tourist Police Region 5 told The Phuket News.

“We sent officers to the first meeting. [Mr Geng] showed the money to them and they knew straight away it was fake. But, they told him the money was real and it would be possible to exchange it the following day.”

“The suspect offered the exchange staff a good price, at a rate lower than the current exchange rate. So all of them managed to meet again at Central Festival Phuket.”

After the arrest, the notes were examined more closely and police discovered a spelling error. Where it should have read on one part of the note “San Francisco” it actually read “Nan Prancisco”. A sample was examined by US Embassy experts and declared to be fake.

Geng was charged with possession of counterfeit notes with intent to use them.

Pol Col Supaset Chokchai, Deputy Superintendent of Tourist Police, said, “Usually, US$10,000 notes are used only between banks. This is the first time we have come across counterfeiting of this kind of note.

“The suspect has admitted that more Thai people are involved in this case with him, so are investigation has now extended to catching them as well.”

According to a recent Time magazine online article, the last time a US$10,000 note was printed was in 1934, and the notes are no longer legal tender, though genuine ones are valuable – they are worth considerably more to collectors than their face value.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/%E2%80%98lawyer%E2%80%99-arrested-in-phuket-for-passing-482-fake-us-10-000-notes-44929.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-03-03

Not so Geng after all.

But don't all the bills (and passports etc) have some spelling errors as additional security features, just in case a person who does the fakes misses those?

10000front.jpg

From http://www.oldcurrencyvalues.com/10000_Dollar_Bill.html

It is currently thought that just under 60,000 $10,000 bills were printed for circulation for the 1928 and 1934 series combined. Of that 60,000, no more than 336 have survived destruction by the Bureau of Engraving and Printing.

Who is the dumber, those who produced this paper or the one trying to pass it. Sometimes you wonder how these people slip thru the grime reapers lasso and are still consuming nutrients best left of others.

Guess credit should be given to the RTP for taking this potential comedy show off the streets. I suspect most people would have quickly noticed the large numeration on the bill, but glad they caught the spelling mistake.

Reminded of the time a street vendor hjad a table set up in CM selling various items, screwdrivers, pliers, small magnets, etc. He was also selling "real US silver dollars". He was simply dumbfounded when I pointed out the magnet attracted his coins and he should get his money back. I noticed later in the evening he had removed the magnets from his display table, but not the coins.

• Like 2

Let me see if I have got this right.

This man completed post graduate studies in the area of law, was awarded a degree and passed the bar exam, but he is so stupid that he can't even do a little research to learn that US $10,000 bills are not put into circulation, and he couldn't figure out that trying to exchange so many would sound a big alarm anyway?

He is a shining example of Thai education. I have often thought that a Thai university BA is equivalent to a general high school graduate in Western countries, but now I must downgrade that. This guy isn't even as smart as high school student in the civilized world, and he's a lawyer.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell........his own legit cash might have bought him a career perhaps............whistling.gif

Now come on you lot, he won playing Monopoly last night, give him a break, he thought it was real cash.................coffee1.gif

Monopoly money is perfectly ok when buying Rolex watches from the street vendors.

Not so Geng after all.

But don't all the bills (and passports etc) have some spelling errors as additional security features, just in case a person who does the fakes misses those?

10000front.jpg

It is currently thought that just under 60,000 $10,000 bills were printed for circulation for the 1928 and 1934 series combined. Of that 60,000, no more than 336 have survived destruction by the Bureau of Engraving and Printing.

What's your point ? That its a slight possibility that it was real ? I really don't understand what you are getting at.

Why isn't he in the photo being pointed at by the policemen? Is it because he is a (snigger) lawyer?

Anyway, well done to Thailands finest, that must have been a tough case to crack.

What's your point ? That its a slight possibility that it was real ? I really don't understand what you are getting at.

Curiosity and a possibility to learn something new. No, not really.

Let me see if I have got this right.

This man completed post graduate studies in the area of law, was awarded a degree and passed the bar exam, but he is so stupid that he can't even do a little research to learn that US $10,000 bills are not put into circulation, and he couldn't figure out that trying to exchange so many would sound a big alarm anyway?

He is a shining example of Thai education. I have often thought that a Thai university BA is equivalent to a general high school graduate in Western countries, but now I must downgrade that. This guy isn't even as smart as high school student in the civilized world, and he's a lawyer.

Makes you wonder just how many property and business (bar/guest house etc) purchases this "lawyer" has handled for farang.

The embassy confirmed that the notes were counterfeit

'Sawadee krap, is that the US embassy?'

'Well howdy, it sure is. How can I help ya'll?'

'We got some $10,000 notes here from the Nan Fransisco Bank, but we not sure if they are real krap'

''Well hold on right there officer. I'm gonna call my boss'

[shouts to his boss] 'Hey Kristie, remember those idiot police last week with the counterfeit notes from the New Pork Bank? This time it's the Nan Francisco Bank!!'

[sound of hysterical laughter in the background]

'Hey there officer. Yes they are fake. I'm gonna send you a nice map of the US of A as well'

'Oh kop khum MAK krap!'

[click as the embassy hangs up abruptly...]

Apologies for my terrible American - I am British and have only a passing knowledge of the American language.....

Simon

• Like 1

Not so Geng after all.

10000front.jpg

I would say he is simply giving some information, which is much appreciated by at least me.

So thanks Oilinki.

Intentionally misspelling for security on banknotes?

I am pretty sure they do not. The also do not publicly circulate bills larger than $100.

The embassy confirmed that the notes were counterfeit

'Sawadee krap, is that the US embassy?'

'Well howdy, it sure is. How can I help ya'll?'

'We got some $10,000 notes here from the Nan Fransisco Bank, but we not sure if they are real krap'

''Well hold on right there officer. I'm gonna call my boss'

[shouts to his boss] 'Hey Kristie, remember those idiot police last week with the counterfeit notes from the New Pork Bank? This time it's the Nan Francisco Bank!!'

[sound of hysterical laughter in the background]

'Hey there officer. Yes they are fake. I'm gonna send you a nice map of the US of A as well'

'Oh kop khum MAK krap!'

[click as the embassy hangs up abruptly...]

Apologies for my terrible American - I am British and have only a passing knowledge of the American language.....

Simon

It was funny though, lol.

Why isn't he in the photo being pointed at by the policemen? Is it because he is a (snigger) lawyer?

Maybe finger-pointing is reserved for the very poorest of Thai society and foreigners. Members of the legal profession are probably exempt.