Phuket Police arrest man with counterfeit US$10,000 'Nan Francisco' bank notes

webfact

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Intentionally misspelling for security on banknotes?

I am pretty sure they do not. The also do not publicly circulate bills larger than $100.

One of these misspelligns were on old Finnish passport on microprinting. That was the reason I thought it might have been used elsewhere as well.

http://www.cslabels.co.uk/MicroText or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microprinting

Micro text printing is one of many anti-counterfeiting techniques used to authenticate labels, bank notes and product packaging.

Micro text involves printing text that is so small it is invisible to the naked eye, this can be incredibly hard for counterfeiters to replicate.

Microprint Text is frequently hidden in an inconspicuous, unnoticeable area on the product or label. For example, on UK bank notes there is micro text located beneath the Queen's portrait that spells out the value of the note. An additional safety feature often used is an easily overlooked spelling error inserted somewhere in the micro-printed text. For instance in old Finnish passports, there was a micro-printed repeated text Suomi Finland which in one (and only one) instance was intentionally misspelled as Soumi Finland.

Who is the dumber, those who produced this paper or the one trying to pass it. Sometimes you wonder how these people slip thru the grime reapers lasso and are still consuming nutrients best left of others.

Guess credit should be given to the RTP for taking this potential comedy show off the streets. I suspect most people would have quickly noticed the large numeration on the bill, but glad they caught the spelling mistake.

Reminded of the time a street vendor hjad a table set up in CM selling various items, screwdrivers, pliers, small magnets, etc. He was also selling "real US silver dollars". He was simply dumbfounded when I pointed out the magnet attracted his coins and he should get his money back. I noticed later in the evening he had removed the magnets from his display table, but not the coins.

i didn't know the "grime" reaper had a lasso

In the Thai press, they report this family holds important positions in the Democrat Party in Pak Kred (Nonthaburi). This is where the arrested "lawyer's" registered address is.

Here is his graduation photo on a Thammasat website.

Which one is he?

Don't want to accidentally hire him, as he probably isn't in jail and won't be convicted.

No. 27 (The guy that looks like a thug).

Edited by Briggsy

In the Thai press, they report this family holds important positions in the Democrat Party in Pak Kred (Nonthaburi). This is where the arrested "lawyer's" registered address is.

Which one is he?

Don't want to accidentally hire him, as he probably isn't in jail and won't be convicted.

Kim Jong Un's brother?

Which one is he?

Kim Jong Un's brother?

These counterfeits must have been printed in the Philippines as they almost, always pronounce a P for a F and a N for a S

"San Francisco" but in the Philippines it is "Nan Prancisco"clap2.gif

This is beyond dumbness and starting from the local bib

Edited by Diamondbob

Let me see if I have got this right.

This man completed post graduate studies in the area of law, was awarded a degree and passed the bar exam, but he is so stupid that he can't even do a little research to learn that US $10,000 bills are not put into circulation, and he couldn't figure out that trying to exchange so many would sound a big alarm anyway?

He is a shining example of Thai education. I have often thought that a Thai university BA is equivalent to a general high school graduate in Western countries, but now I must downgrade that. This guy isn't even as smart as high school student in the civilized world, and he's a lawyer.

exactly, thailand is an intellectual vacuum... can't repeat this enough.

degrees are a joke here (i regret that a lot) and nothing more than a status symbol (cf. the obligatory graduation pic on the wall).

in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

This man completed post graduate studies in the area of law, was awarded a degree and passed the bar exam, but he is so stupid that he can't even do a little research to learn that US $10,000 bills are not put into circulation, and he couldn't figure out that trying to exchange so many would sound a big alarm anyway?

He is a shining example of Thai education. I have often thought that a Thai university BA is equivalent to a general high school graduate in Western countries, but now I must downgrade that. This guy isn't even as smart as high school student in the civilized world, and he's a lawyer.

This would be a perfect analysis in a country with a rule of law.

But over here, he knows that with his connections he can walk, so why not try it, you never know he might have got 1 cent in the dollar. He has nothing to lose. He is connected. He cannot be prosecuted. That is the way the system works here. It's a 'free' roll of the dice.

I would like to nominate the numbnuts who printed these bills for the 2014 "Unclear on the Concept" award...

Who knows, they could have sold them to this dimwit for lots of money.

Why isn't he in the photo being pointed at by the policemen? Is it because he is a (snigger) lawyer?

Anyway, well done to Thailands finest, that must have been a tough case to crack.

He used the fake notes to buy his freedom whistling.gif

Why isn't he in the photo being pointed at by the policemen? Is it because he is a (snigger) lawyer?

Anyway, well done to Thailands finest, that must have been a tough case to crack.

He probably threatened to sue the cops if they violate his copyright on the picture

Now come on you lot, he won playing Monopoly last night, give him a break, he thought it was real cash.................coffee1.gif

Monopoly money is perfectly ok when buying Rolex watches from the street vendors.

What you can do with counterfeit money! wink.pnghttp://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/669089-thai-officials-raid-aphrodisiac-sex-toy-vendors/page-2#entry6842362

Is this a real bill in the picture or one of the Nan Francisco bills? The image isn't large enough to read properly.

Only an old, fellow American would take issue with this bill because it is dated 1957, yet it says Federal Reserve Note

instead of Silver Certificate. I'm not sure of the exact year (early 60s?) when they made the change, but this is very

suspicious.

Not so Geng after all.

But don't all the bills (and passports etc) have some spelling errors as additional security features, just in case a person who does the fakes misses those?

10000front.jpg

From http://www.oldcurrencyvalues.com/10000_Dollar_Bill.html

It is currently thought that just under 60,000 $10,000 bills were printed for circulation for the 1928 and 1934 series combined. Of that 60,000, no more than 336 have survived destruction by the Bureau of Engraving and Printing.

Mr. 10.000$-Notes already applied for an apprenticeship here:

Breaking-Bad-Better-Call-Saul.jpg

• Like 1

Which one is he?

27 was my first guess with 17 next.

“He also told the staff that the money was from a politician who wanted to exchange money quietly. So, the money exchange staff felt that there had to be something wrong."

Yes, but what?

Love this story.