Young Dane robbed at knifepoint by Tuk-Tuk scammers

Lite Beer

I live near Thong Lo BTS and often tell the Tuk Tuk driver or taxi to take me there, much easier to direct than to the condo just a short walk from the BTS. If this is true then it is a bit disconcerting that this is happening from the tuk tuk. The one thing that is believable though is the reaction from the BIB….as useless as hip pockets in a singlet.

He as probably using the BTS as a landmark spot where there could be no confusion and there would be taxis and/or police he could make a better travel plan. What is appalling is this notation in the story:

"They all pretty much laughed at me, when I told them what had just happened. Surprisingly enough one of them gave me 200 baht, so I could get a taxi home, “ he said."

It sounds like the job netted the crooks/police/spotter/tuktuk driver a net of 9800.

To me the story sounds like total BS and the Dane is trying to net himself a free 10,000 baht refund from his insurance company when he gets home.

It's not only Thais who run scams.

Tourists making false claims of robbery in Thailand to collect insurance payouts back in their home countries occurs reasonably often.

All they need is a copy of the police report to collect the easy cash.

Don't know if that's the case here, but 2 in 2 nights in the same place by next door neighbours does sound a touch suspicious.

a couple of years ago i met two young English scum bags who told me they did this every year and claimed of the insurance,almost paid for their holiday,so i am not surprised when the BIB are a bit dubious when a theft is reported.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

According to the article, he asked to be taken to the nearest BTS station around 3 am. But the BTS doesn't start running until 6 am. Odd?

It is not odd for any foreigners to ask and be taken to a well known landmark in order to hire a taxi since most foreigners do not speak Thai. So there's nothing odd about this issue. The other issue about this poor man being robed an waiting to report to the police until Monday, I find it also understandable since he must had felt at odds with the police laughing at him after seeking help and waiting to get his senses back until Monday and making a proper report at the police station. Using this incident report in order to report it to his insurance for the 10K in cash that he stated that was taken from him does not sound like a man that would lie to the insurance, 10K is many insurance claims may be too small of a claim after the deductibles.

Well I smell a rat !

Insurance claim !

Probably his mate kicked him and the next day he kicked his mate to get the bruising set up.

No one, even a drunk Dane, would be stupid enough to get done the next day, assuming same area, same method. Or are the two gangsters in every dark lane ? Maybe, and the TUK Tuks call ahead to get goons in place.

They both went to the police station together to report the two nites incidents, even the police must have laughed it is so obviously dodgy.

If I am wrong, I hope he feels better soon and the insurance pays out.

Never take a tuk-tuk anywhere, scum of the earth and twice at least what a cab would cost.

Was with my Wife in Pattaya in 2001 and we always used the Tuk Tuk. Every ride was around 20 baht. Never had a problem.

Pattaya don't have any Tuk-Tuks in taxi service, only some hotels use them to transport their customers on shorter distances.

Soi 25 is quite a crowded area with lots of bars and tourists, so needles to say, I was surprised and shocked.

- Young Dane

Needles to say! No pun intended? Young Dane also sounds like a good name for a rapper. wai2.gif

Hi,
I'm the Dane it happen to and I feel I need to comment on this.
First of all, I've learned my lesson. I'm not going anywhere alone anymore and never taking another tuktuk. In regards to the whole insurance "scam", which seems to be the center of attention, you should know the insurance companies in Denmark does not cover the loss of cash and valuables that worth less then 5000 USD.
I used the Asoke as a landmark as I was going to visit a girl who I know who lives nearby, and do not know this city very well and everything looks the same to me - especially in the nighttime. It is true that I don't have any cuts or stabs, but I do have severe bruising on my chest and my knee after being stomped upon a couple of times. I tried my best in English to report the incident to the policemen, but they did not understand a word of it. The next day I went to Police station at Khao San as it was the only station I had stumbled upon while being here, but they told me that it was not possible for me to fill in a report there. I waited until monday because I needed assistance from one who speaks Thai so the incident could be reported probably.
I can live with loosing the cash, and I can even live with loosing the my phone which had photos of my nieces and nephews growing up, but being from Denmark I must admit that having a knife to the throat has left some inner scars on me. Since the incident I have not left my room after nightfall.
In regards to my neighbor, he was in a different area or so I think, heading home from the RCA.

I hope this clarifies some of the questions you guys might have had. I lost my phone, I lost my camera, I lost some cash, but I didn't loose my life and for that I thank God!

Edited by MFK123
  • Like 1

Here is the true story:

Young Dane visits Thailand for the first time. He goes to Soi Cowboy and brings 10,000 baht just in case.

At 3 am, in a drunken stupor, he goes to find a TukTuk and asks to be taken to the BTS. The TukTuk driver repeatedly says no because the BTS is closed but the Young Dane will have none of it and insists to be taken there (in a rude way).

The TukTuk driver agrees and feels slightly insulted. He tried to help and instead lost his face. The Young Dane speaks to the driver for a bit but is very intoxicated.

The TukTuk driver decides that he should rob him and takes him into a dark soi after confirming with his friends (the Dane is sleeping at this point).

The TukTuk driver slams the brakes once in the soi which forces the weight of the sleeping Young Dane forward causing him to wake up (and hit his head).

After being robbed and kicked he is left in the street. As he comes out on Sukhumvit again he is dirty, drunk and broke. The cops laugh at the farang kinok who they believe just got too wasted and gives some taxi money.

The Young Dane goes back to Denmark and tells everyone how much Thailand sucks.

Moral of the story? This is like the wild wild west. Don't be careless or it will cost you.

Edited by sz1a
  • Like 1

Sometimes, it just gets exhausting going over all the scams, thefts, robberies, and assaults that are becoming more and more common here. Thai society seems much rougher and desperate than when I first came here a mere five years ago. It's all sort of depressing, actually. You. Can't. Trust. Anybody. (Or Anything) Here. It's a fundamentally dishonest society at just about every level.

if u live here then i assume u will leave tonight and never come back again right? why would any sane person live in a fundamentally dishonest society. it doesn't make sense to me. leave brother leave!

• Like 2

Never take a tuk-tuk anywhere, scum of the earth and twice at least what a cab would cost.

Was with my Wife in Pattaya in 2001 and we always used the Tuk Tuk. Every ride was around 20 baht. Never had a problem.

Pattaya don't have any Tuk-Tuks in taxi service, only some hotels use them to transport their customers on shorter distances.

The guy is refering to 2001, so obviously not a regular visitor.

Probably does not know the difference between a tuk tuk and a songthaew.

Edited by Windy

the same motorbikes snatch handbags everynight and the same Kratoeys drug and pick pocket foreigners everynight on Sukhumvit so why not the same Tuk Tuk?

Could be the same Tuk Tuk but you can bet this isn't the work of the local lads from Soi 23 some of whom have been there for over 20 years and got too much at stake to be shi**ing in their own nest

The problem the cops have is these thugs come over from the likes of Patpong do a couple of tricks then disappear again.

Most likely they came through soi 23 as the mob had still Asoke blocked on Saturday but unless the local tuk tuk drivers recognize them the cops have little chance of finding them.

That said someone broke into my house and robbed me. Tong Lor police told me the chances are he would come back again so they watched my home for over a week and eventually the guy did come back. They arrested him walking out of my soi at 2am with the fan out of my living room. A few weeks later I got a call from Tong Lor Police and I got most of my belongings back including a valuable ring and despite me offering them a reward they would not take a single baht of me.

As far as I am concerned the neg heads on here who say the cops at Thong Lo don't do anything are complete morons.

The prisons in Thailand are bursting at the seems with people like these Tuk Tuk drivers. So unless they gave them selves up the cops caught them or maybe it was Captain America and Ironman. Duh!!!!

I've had personal experience of Thonglor police, courtesy of one of the outlets that employ[ed] their 'services'. I can't be bothered with going into details, and it was several years ago, but don't make the mistake of assuming that, because they sorted out your problem, the sun shines out of their collective a . .e. As in every walk of life, Thai and otherewise, there are good examples, and there are bad.

Hi,

First of all, I've learned my lesson. I'm not going anywhere alone anymore and never taking another tuktuk. In regards to the whole insurance "scam", which seems to be the center of attention, you should know the insurance companies in Denmark does not cover the loss of cash and valuables that worth less then 5000 USD.

I used the Asoke as a landmark as I was going to visit a girl who I know who lives nearby, and do not know this city very well and everything looks the same to me - especially in the nighttime. It is true that I don't have any cuts or stabs, but I do have severe bruising on my chest and my knee after being stomped upon a couple of times. I tried my best in English to report the incident to the policemen, but they did not understand a word of it. The next day I went to Police station at Khao San as it was the only station I had stumbled upon while being here, but they told me that it was not possible for me to fill in a report there. I waited until monday because I needed assistance from one who speaks Thai so the incident could be reported probably.

I can live with loosing the cash, and I can even live with loosing the my phone which had photos of my nieces and nephews growing up, but being from Denmark I must admit that having a knife to the throat has left some inner scars on me. Since the incident I have not left my room after nightfall.

In regards to my neighbor, he was in a different area or so I think, heading home from the RCA.

I hope this clarifies some of the questions you guys might have had. I lost my phone, I lost my camera, I lost some cash, but I didn't loose my life and for that I thank God!

Thanks for taking the time to post an update. Good to hear you are OK. Like all cities Bangkok has some rogues - but no need to stay in every night as most of the city is OK - but often best to avoid quiet streets late at night and stick to areas where's there's lots of people.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

According to the article, he asked to be taken to the nearest BTS station around 3 am. But the BTS doesn't start running until 6 am. Odd?

Something fishy about this story, another case for the TV desktop detectives?

I am going to take this as another heads up to be careful when out in Bangkok and make sure I try and spend all of my money before heading home. I also suspect communication issues were a factor in this poor chaps case.

Businesses have been hit hard in the Sukhumvit area due to the protests, often takings down 50% for 4 months in a row particularly near 23/25, quite a few bar workers have lost their jobs or have temporarily moved elsewhere. Increased crime rates can often be linked to scenario's like this, in parallel to this whilst there is increased presence of army, police and wanna be security in these areas but most of them have their hands tied in what they are allowed to do at this time.

Hi,

The premium for this insurance must be very low.

Why would anyone pay for insurance that only covered lost/theft above $5,000.

You made a police report so you could claim insurance.

What else are you claiming they took apart from a phone and 10,000 baht to get above 150,000 baht limit ??

Edited by Windy
  • Like 1

Sometimes, it just gets exhausting going over all the scams, thefts, robberies, and assaults that are becoming more and more common here. Thai society seems much rougher and desperate than when I first came here a mere five years ago. It's all sort of depressing, actually. You. Can't. Trust. Anybody. (Or Anything) Here. It's a fundamentally dishonest society at just about every level.

You know, I hate to agree with you, but I must, about 5 years here fulltime now and 35 years knowing Thailand and Thai people.

I will say there are some very good, helping, selfless Thai people. But there are very few.

Unfortunately I would think that Thai society, Thai people have changed greatly over 35 years and I do not see it being for the better.

• Like 2

"They all pretty much laughed at me, when I told them what had just happened. Surprisingly enough one of them gave me 200 baht, so I could get a taxi home, “ he said."

And that's the Royal Thai Police Force for you. What a bunch of lazy scumbags. bah.gif

Such negativity! Never heard of the Thai police giving a farang money! The boy scout in brown should be commended for opening that fat wad of 1000 bills and finding the two red notes! wub.png

Hi,

The premium for this insurance must be very low.

Why would anyone pay for insurance that only covered lost/theft above $5,000.

You made a police report so you could claim insurance.

What else are you claiming they took apart from a phone and 10,000 baht to get above 150,000 baht limit ??

I need to report if it turns out that I have actually damaged something internally from the beating or the stomping on my knee.

And there are no bars in Soi 25, probably he meant Soi 23. And it's a pretty long stretch from 23 to 55 so why would he say 'Soi 25 is quite a crowded area with lots of bars and tourists, so needles to say, I was surprised and shocked'.

Maybe a typo, just like your "55".

You know, I hate to agree with you, but I must, about 5 years here fulltime now and 35 years knowing Thailand and Thai people.

I will say there are some very good, helping, selfless Thai people. But there are very few.

Unfortunately I would think that Thai society, Thai people have changed greatly over 35 years and I do not see it being for the better.

That's the thing isn't it? It's a really sad event. And the rate of negative change is what bothers me most. It's just growing daily. People have become oblivious to everything around them other than a sort of crash and grab mentality. It wasn't this way, even five years ago. At least not so intense and not nearly as widespread.

When you go to a country, you don't get pissed up and get a local form of transport expecting VIP treatment because you have a few bob.

I actually find this quite hilarious, with the arrogance made by the party involved, pretending the same happened the next night. Why would a venture be repeated, after being appalled the first time. I've carried a mill baht around Sukvit, with a lassie in tow, a long time ago... and believe me... I was sober, and she took good care of me...

The Dutch guy/American knew where they were, and for what reason. Tough crap... you got lashed, and got probably what you had asked for all evening, after being abusive or obnoxious.

If you, as a visitor want to frequent such a place.... be it on your Nelly how you conduct yourself, and if not respecting what you know little of, expect the consequences: and this applies to any city or area of a city in the WORLD....... Not only Thailand - this happens if you get pissed out of your league... no matter how big and hard you think you are.

Enjoy the rest of your stay... and be careful.. you are named and shamed... you will be watched. I mean be careful... next time.. you might not walk away!

PLEASE, do NOT confuse Danes with Dutch!!! The Dutch were not involved (this time whistling.gif )

If it aint Dutch, it aint much tongue.pngcheesy.gif

Interesting that people in their home country don't do wondering around the most seedy areas in the middle of the night drunk but think it safe to do when in a less developed country. And more interesting the neighbor would put himself in the same position the next day.

I am a bit confused as to how this made the news if there was no police report. Did this guy contact the media?

On Monday, Morten Krogsholm reported the crime to the Thonglor Police Station, filing his statement so he can get some compensation from his insurance company.

???? You wonder what???

Thanks, now things seem clearer ... insurance claim.

So this guy is wondering around in the middle of the night in Bangkok and apparently doesn't know where he lives to tell Tuk Tuk or thinks the BTS is running at 3:00 AM and also doesn't know or care that a Tuk Tuk is much more expensive than a taxi or simply walking a couple blocks. Yet, he cares enough about the valuables he was carrying at 3 AM to make a police report and insurance claim. How expensive could the cell phone be that he felt a need to carry a camera at 3 AM too?

Are we to assume the police also thought it a long haul from Soi 25 to Asoke BTS and this is why they gave him 200 Baht and not 35 or even a single 100 baht note??

• Like 1