Young Dane robbed at knifepoint by Tuk-Tuk scammers

Lite Beer

Young Dane robbed at knifepoint by Tuk-Tuk scammers
BY KRISTIAN LAURITZEN

Tuk_tuk_1-300x225.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A 25-year-old Dane was robbed at knifepoint by a Tuk-Tuk driver and two accomplices in a dark alleyway between Sukhumvit Soi 25 and Soi 55 in the early hours of Saturday, 1 March 2014.

The Dane, identified as Morten Krogsholm, hailed a Tuk-Tuk on Sukhumvit near Sukhumvit Soi 25 and asked to be taken to the nearest BTS station around 3 am. The Tuk-Tuk driver took him speeding down a dimly-lit soi and then suddenly hit the brake, causing the unsuspecting Dane to hit his head on the metal partition on the back of the driver’s seat.

Two men appeared from either side of the vehicle, with one holding a knife at Morten Krogholm’s throat and the other putting the tip of a dagger at his abdomen. Then they demanded the Dane to hand over all valuables, including about THB10,000 in cash, a mobile phone and a camera. They then threw him out of the vehicle into the ground, kicking him three or four times in the ribs.

A shocking experience, as Morten Krogsholm recounted his ordeal to ScandAsia.

“I was really afraid, especially because one of them had a knife close to my throat. Soi 25 is quite a crowded area with lots of bars and tourists, so needles to say, I was surprised and shocked.”

He was going home after a night out drinking and partying, and got into a Tuk-Tuk and asked to be taken BTS Asoke station. The Tuk-Tuk drove in the opposite direction down Sukhumvit Road for just a few hundred meters in the direction of Thonglor before turning down a dark soi and robbed the Dane.

After the incident, Morten Krogsholm went limping out of the soi back out to Sukhumvit road and found a group of policemen out in the street nearby.

“They all pretty much laughed at me, when I told them what had just happened. Surprisingly enough one of them gave me 200 baht, so I could get a taxi home, “ he said.

The day after, Morten told his American neighbour back in the condominium, where he lives, about the robbery.

“And then the exact same thing happened to him the next day. Threatened and robbed at knifepoint by a Tuk-Tuk driver and two accomplices,” he said, adding that the incidents could either be a coincidence or a worrying trend of crimes against foreigners.

On Monday, Morten Krogsholm reported the crime to the Thonglor Police Station, filing his statement so he can get some compensation from his insurance company.

--ScandAsia.Com 2014-03-03

• Like 1

"They all pretty much laughed at me, when I told them what had just happened. Surprisingly enough one of them gave me 200 baht, so I could get a taxi home, “ he said."

And that's the Royal Thai Police Force for you. What a bunch of lazy scumbags. bah.gif

On the contrary. They can't be lazy if they never worked in the first place.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

"They all pretty much laughed at me, when I told them what had just happened. Surprisingly enough one of them gave me 200 baht, so I could get a taxi home, “ he said."

And that's the Royal Thai Police Force for you. What a bunch of lazy scumbags. bah.gif

You are 100% right ... if this pretty fishy story is true.

And there are no bars in Soi 25, probably he meant Soi 23. And it's a pretty long stretch from 23 to 55 so why would he say 'Soi 25 is quite a crowded area with lots of bars and tourists, so needles to say, I was surprised and shocked'.

As a tourist, you should expect a very high element of risk if you travel back alone in a tuk tuk after you have been drinking in the bars until 3am. He was lucky that he did not lose his life or suffer severe injuries. Hope he learns by this experience.

When you go to a country, you don't get pissed up and get a local form of transport expecting VIP treatment because you have a few bob.

I actually find this quite hilarious, with the arrogance made by the party involved, pretending the same happened the next night. Why would a venture be repeated, after being appalled the first time. I've carried a mill baht around Sukvit, with a lassie in tow, a long time ago... and believe me... I was sober, and she took good care of me...

The Dutch guy/American knew where they were, and for what reason. Tough crap... you got lashed, and got probably what you had asked for all evening, after being abusive or obnoxious.

If you, as a visitor want to frequent such a place.... be it on your Nelly how you conduct yourself, and if not respecting what you know little of, expect the consequences: and this applies to any city or area of a city in the WORLD....... Not only Thailand - this happens if you get pissed out of your league... no matter how big and hard you think you are.

Enjoy the rest of your stay... and be careful.. you are named and shamed... you will be watched. I mean be careful... next time.. you might not walk away!

Interesting that people in their home country don't do wondering around the most seedy areas in the middle of the night drunk but think it safe to do when in a less developed country. And more interesting the neighbor would put himself in the same position the next day.

I am a bit confused as to how this made the news if there was no police report. Did this guy contact the media?

Why would he want to go to a BTS station at 3 am?

maybe because he lives near the BTS station - and one usually names a landmark or something the taxi / tuk tuk driver knows - and knows where to go??

Maybe time to learn to speak a little Thai, if he's not a tourist. If he's a tourist... thanks for the bad repu you give us long-timers. bah.gif

Nobody wants to be turned over but a lesson to be learned and reminded of. No system is foolproof but small adjustments to daily habits significantly reduce the chance of such an event occurring.

When my wife and I travel about BKK we don't take bags, adorn jewellery, take tuk tuks, or otherwise draw attention to ourselves [that goes for anywhere in LOS and the Western world].

I retain my wallet and phone on my person and my wife has her phone and small amount of cash for emergency, all of which are stowed as safely as possible and phones fully charged. I also leave at least one credit card in hotel safe with a full available balance and significant amount of cash. My travel insurance will cover most eventualities, but we will not be left high and dry at short notice.

Always have a plan B.

• Like 1

He as probably using the BTS as a landmark spot where there could be no confusion and there would be taxis and/or police he could make a better travel plan. What is appalling is this notation in the story:

It sounds like the job netted the crooks/police/spotter/tuktuk driver a net of 9800.

He as probably using the BTS as a landmark spot where there could be no confusion and there would be taxis and/or police he could make a better travel plan. What is appalling is this notation in the story:

It sounds like the job netted the crooks/police/spotter/tuktuk driver a net of 9800.

Yes the part of about the police handing him 200 baht is the fishiest part of the whole story.....

"3am in Bkk, well that's just like one of those National Geographic shows where Wildebeest try making it across a croc infested river."

​Hahah love the analogy. Are the crocs the taxi drivers, the lady boys , or both.......