Chiang Mai red leader denies supporting a Lanna state: Sedition charge

webfact

Suthep must have known the truth when he was spreading the lies about this.

If there is anybody trying to split the country it is Suthep. He wants his undemocrstic south and Bangkok to have his people's council, the rest of the country wants a democrstic government.

A true red shirt, you can't even spell 'democratic'. Some kind of mental block?

Try 'dictatorship', you'll find it much easier to spell.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You may be able to spell dictatorship, but I'm not convinced you know it's meaning. Look it up. It typically doesn't apply to governments that come out top in opinion polls and win elections. [And save yourself some energy if you were planning to respond with the 'old saw' that PTP buys election wins... I highly doubt they 'buy' opinion poll results].

Maybe not typically, but plenty of examples of elected dictators. In fact, many dictators were first elected before they became true dictators.

I'll play: Name three dictators who achieved that position by adhering to the electoral rules of the day. [Do not list Hitler... many people mistakenly believe he was initially elected into office, but he never achieved close to the 2/3 majority required by German law at the time... he got into power through a mix of manipulation and intimidation]. It can be done, but I think you'll find that it's an exaggeration to say there are plenty of examples.

Also, let's first try to agree what a dictator is... perhaps easier said than done. But I think we can say that it's a person 1) in whom a huge amount of power is concentrated, 2) who can rule by fiat without referring matters to an elected parliament/congress (and who often simply dissolves parliament), and 3) who doesn't rely on free elections to stay in power, and 4) who does not have broad support among the people (i.e., their presence is 'imposed' on the people). Of course, whatever you might want to think, these criteria would knock Yingluck out of the running for the mantle of dictator.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic