What to see in Bangkok?

avander

My wife and I are coming to Bangkok for 3 days this Friday. My wife is doing a cookery course for 2 days (Sat/Sun) so I have both days free. We're staying at Bang Na and I'm wondering what to do during the day?

Can anyone suggest some top things to do that won't be too expensive to pass the time. I like cultural historical stuff and seeing the 'sights'. One of the things I'd like to do is go on a khlong boat trip. I'm told it's fun and one of my mates went on one and visited a temple or similar near Bangkok. Can't remember the name, where he went or if he booked etc. I'm after other ideas too?

• Like 1

A bit more background would help though...

Have you seen any of the classics like Wat Phra Keo or Wat Po yet?

Weekend Market / Chatuchak?

You could waste a whole day at MEGA / IKEA Bangna too...

A quick taxi or mini bus to Ayutthaya?

A bit more background would help though...

Have you seen any of the classics like Wat Phra Keo or Wat Po yet?

Weekend Market / Chatuchak?

You could waste a whole day at MEGA / IKEA Bangna too...

A quick taxi or mini bus to Ayutthaya?

Thanks for the suggestions. I have been to the weekend markets and the huge palace (not sure of the name?) in the city and Ayutthaya. Also, Mega/Bang Na too but not quite the cultural experience there unless you're after Swedish business culture ;-)

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I don't know if it still exists, but several years ago, I used to enjoy going to the aviary up above the ambassador hotel 2nd or 3rd floor, as I recall. They had several large open air cages, with many exotic birds. Definitely worth seeing , and it was free at the time.

You could go to Ancient Siam. A huge park just outside BKK, BTS to Bearing and then taxi ~45min, opens at 9am, 500bt.

It's a park in the shape of Thailand featuring the country's most important monuments at the appropriate geographic locations. You can spend all day, the entry includes the use of a bicycle for the day if you wish. Go early, it get's hot. Google 'Muang Boran' for more info.

• Like 1

it is advertised as the largest restaurant in the world. that is all i rememeber. my wife and I liked it alot. also boat trips around bangkok. the hotel will tell you everything. you have to go to Soi Cowboy and Nana even with your wife. As my wife once said - you got to go and it is ok. if you want to go too often then it is a problem. grand palace is a must. ask about what you have to wear before you go may help. the trip to Ayutthaya is totally required! Get a feel how the people live while going to Ayutthaya which is about 60 klms from BKK. If you hire a taxis to go to Ayutthaya then you can see all of the city (not small little town) but a guided tour could be a lot better. remember this - taxis, vans, and buses are noted for very bad drivers. many accidents. if you take a taxis you tell the man at the beginning you expect him to drive safely. if he does not, then tell him again. i had one fall asleep going 100 klms. you must guide you own life - just like any other city. if he still does not listen then stop someplace where you can find another taxis. never take a tuk-tuk after mid-night. this seems to be a recent problem.

Get on the klong boat near MBK and go to the end of its route at the Temple of the Golden Mount near the Democracy monument.

Expect to be told by various nefarious men there that it's closed, but it isn't.

Go to the top of the temple.

Thanks Orpheus! I am sure this is the one my friend visited and said he had a great day.

One of my favorite things to do is to go to Koh Kret. Google it for further information.

The cheapest way to get there is to get a boat to the final stop in Nonthaburi (there are boats all the way to Koh Kret at weekends but the times aren't always convenient), then from Nonthaburi grab a taxi for the last 5 Kms to the 2 baht ferry across to Koh Kret from the local temple.

Any taxi will know it.

The island is lovely, in the middle of the river, and also has a nice local market.

There's one or two small restaurants over the water and you can sit and watch the barges go past.

You can rent a bicycle to go round the island for a few baht, and it's really rural and peaceful.

No cars on the island!

You can also rent a longtail boat to take you to the main spots around the island, but I prefer the tranquility of the bicycle.

Edited by Andyfez

Just don't get robbed by the tuk tuk or taxi drivers.... That will cost you the most and you will not the cultural experience that you were expecting.

Oddly, after 15 years making numerous visits to Bangkok and often using both tuktuks and taxis while there, no one has attempted to rob me or acted in any way other than typically polite Thai people do. I guess we see what we want to see and imagine what suits out prejudices.

There are some really unhappy campers using this forum who want to share their misery with everyone.

storm2.jpg

Yeah, the boat trip is a good idea. Definitely high up on a list of things to do. Your mate probably went to Wat Arun- which is worth visiting as well- you get a boat which will take you on a circuit round the river and then drop you off there.

Best way to go is to get the sky train to Saphan Taksin and then walk down to the pier (it's well signposted) and get a boat there- private boats aren't that pricey or there are group boats. Or you could use a tour company- like Padwan Tour.

http://www.thaicanaltour.com/

I'd recommend a trip to Bang Krachao, aka 'Bangkok's Green Lung'. It's a beautiful jungle area in the middle of the city- quite unique. There's a large national park, a Siamese fighting fish museum with lovely gardens... it depends if you fancy riding round on a bicycle for a few hours, as that's really the only way to see the place. Get a taxi to Klong Toey pier and then get a boat across- the boat is ridiculously cheap, 10 or 20 baht. Hire a bike on the other side at the pier- again it's very cheap, I can't remember how much but I think it was 200 baht for the whole day. Well sign posted as well, so it's hard to get lost as you cycle around.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/16/travel/escaping-to-bangkoks-green-lung.html?_r=0

4_1367377728_6424726-Path_through_the_Ju

Edited by Rumblecat
  • Like 1

For temples I quite liked taking a boat down from Saphan Taksin BTS around 4 or 5 stops (they will be able to advise) and then crossing over to Wat Rakang (the bell temple), they have steps down to the river and you can buy food to give to the fish which is fairly fun as that part of the river is teeming with them. A quick look round the temple and then 40baht taxi to Wat Arun (the temple of dawn). I believe you can no longer go up the spire as it's being restored but it's impressive all the same. Probably 2-3 hours in total.

Suan Rot Fai (the train park) close to JJ market is cool for a few hours, probably 40baht motorbike from Mochit BTS. You can hire a bicycle and ride round, there's an indoor butterfly garden and it's connected to Queen Sirikit park which is pleasant to leave your bike at the entrance and wander round.

Try Wat Traimit (Golden Buddha) in China Town. Take a metered taxi or even take BTS to the Taskin BTS Station and take a Baht Bus Number 1 north (cost 6 baht). Goes right past the temple and very short walk too.

Edited by Mrjlh
  • Like 1

Thanks for the input everyone. I think I'll head to MBK and then take the khlong ride and visit Golden Mount temple. On the way back I might have a look around MBK if I have time. While at the temple I might try and get a blessing from the monks. My Thai is limited and my wife has organised such things before so does anyone know the protocols or should I forget about it?

For the other day I might visit the Elephant temple.

Thanks again everyone.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

There's only one thing to do whilst in Bangkok. That's wake up nice and late and then start drinking at the Golden Bar or Stumble Inn while waiting for Nana Plaza to open. Everything else is strictly prohibited. Besides, what could be better than that? Food, exercise, shopping and "culture" are surplus to requirements. Beer contains all the nutrients you need.

Go to the Lebua Hotel (State Tower) at 1055 Silom Road, Bangrak, Bangkok after dark and up to the Sky Bar for a drink with your wife. The Sky Bar is outdoors on the 63rd floor and offers a fantastic panoramic view of Bangkok. It is pricey, but it will be romantic and truly memorable for the both of you during your stay.

• Like 1

Wat Pho (Reclining Buddha) and Wat Arun (Temple of Dawn) are worth a visit. Best thing to do is to go to Saphan Thaksin BTS and get the river boat. All day hop on hop off is only 150 baht. You get a book which shows the stops and what to see each one. When getting a taxi insist the driver uses the meter. If they try to agree a price upfront it will be considerably more than the actual price :)

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand