What is a Banana IT? And Why Might You Like One?

I shop there but very mixed experiences with the service. Mostly above average for Thailand. On buying my latest mobile, it was WAY above average for Thailand, and that was AFTER paying the cash! On other occasions, either no product knowledge and sometimes totally incorrect information given (acting like they knew rather than just saying don't know which would have been better). On product selection, yes, I agree with you totally.

Well then, if our experiences gibe pretty well, this might be a good place for people to shop, especially if they have just arrived in Thailand and are not too sure they have learned the ropes.

This buyer experience seems more akin to what you would expect if you shopped in your home country.

All the other places I know of, not so good.

Edited by CzarThustraThusSpake

i got a defective sandisk micro sd card and it was like extracting teeth trying to get a refund for it the next day

they wanted me to return it to the manufacturer in another country

after half an hour of heated arguments the manager called the owner who authorised a refund in the end and i got

the 2000 back

banana it fortune town ,bangkok

I just recently purchased a new laptop from Banana IT about 6 weeks ago, and didn't have any problems. Then again, I'm not exactly a difficult customer. Walked in, 3 mins later pointed at a 25,000 laptop, and I said "I'll buy that one". Somewhat taken off guard, the salesman asks, "you mean right now?", to which I reply "yes, right now". Some quick speaking in Thai happens, and all of a sudden one of the staff high tails it out the store, down the hallway, and returns with my new laptop 5 minutes later.

• Like 1

I just recently purchased a new laptop from Banana IT about 6 weeks ago, and didn't have any problems. Then again, I'm not exactly a difficult customer. Walked in, 3 mins later pointed at a 25,000 laptop, and I said "I'll buy that one". Somewhat taken off guard, the salesman asks, "you mean right now?", to which I reply "yes, right now". Some quick speaking in Thai happens, and all of a sudden one of the staff high tails it out the store, down the hallway, and returns with my new laptop 5 minutes later.

he was probably shocked you didnt haggle it down a couple of k and insist on some free accessories TIT :D

I find Advice It much better than Banana. Of course nothing matches the service of Invade IT for online sales and for fantastic after sale service.

I would also go along with that for Invade IT. I haven't needed their after sales service yet as everything has functioned with no problems. However prompt replies to inquiries good delivery service, efficient payment service especially if you use internet banking here and a very good service all round.

I agree about Invade It I have returned a few defective products and it was always easy. Not to mention you get your bills by email so you don't loose them easy. They are a bit more expensive I believe but its worth it for me.

Always mixed experiences at both. I enjoy walking around and looking at stuff, but hate being followed. angry.png

I look around, then go to invadeit.co.th (yes, they are a sponsor on tv) and buy from them. wub.png

I was going to buy from InvadeIT but they only accept payment with Paypal surcharge or using a Thai bank transfer, not always easy to arrange. With other services like tohome I can but with my Thai banks virtual debit card at no extra charge.

I disagree one hundred percent, and would not set foot in the place. I bought a Western Digital hard drive at

their Tukcon branch in Pattaya. It failed within a couple of weeks. When I took it back there, it was indeed like

pulling teeth to get them to fix the issue. To solve it, in the end I had to do all the contact work with Western Digital

in Bangkok, who instantly directly sent me a new one. As an American company, they are a lot more tuned in with

the concept of customer service, and the idea that a happy customer is one who will return and buy your

product again. Something that is sadly lacking here. In Thailand it is like the mouth of the tiger. Once the money goes

in, it never comes back....... :-)

• Like 2

he was probably shocked you didnt haggle it down a couple of k and insist on some free accessories TIT biggrin.png

Oh no, I got all my free stuff. That cardbox box with the mouse, USB flash drive, head phones, cleaning fluid + rag, and all that good stuff. Plus a laptop bag as well. Guess I could have probably haggled them down, but meh...

Oh, and I can also say Dell Thailand is excellent. The motherboard in this laptop just recently went, and the support / servicing was better than I'd even expect in Canada. Took it back to BananaIT, and they told me to call Dell. A little bit of translation trouble, but myself and my neighbor got it figured that afternoon. On-site appointment scheduled, and next morning someone called me at 10am, and they were here at 11am. We phoned the Dell call center in Bangkok, and I'm in Khon Kaen, so that was pretty impressive in and of itself.

However, the most impressive thing was the guy shows up at my house at 11am with new motherboard in hand. That has NEVER happened to me in Canada. They always come over, inspect the computer, then go back to get the parts and schedule another appointment for another day. This guy had the motherboard already in hand, quickly installed it, and an hour later was out the door and my laptop was back up & running 100%. And under warranty, so it was free.

I have to admit, I was impressed as hell.

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot -- the guy also called me about 5 days later and asked if everything was ok, and if he could come by to check out my laptop and ensure it's 100%. I told him don't worry about it, but was definitely nice of him. Dell Canada techs don't do follow up phone calls.

Edited by Nautilus05

Can Dell products purchased in Thailand be covered by warranty service worldwide?

You will have to check on this but the policy was that you had to contact Dell to transfer your warrantee. Dell usually would however there was a charge for this which varied, presumably on the cost of service in the new country compared with the old.

Bought a Samsung laptop at Banana IT, which was working fine for a while. Then slowly ground to a halt- the problem was fake copy Windows. Did a bit of research and discovered that maybe up to 90% of laptops etc in Thailand run on copies.

I did not consider that copy windows would be loaded- when bought from outlet in Central- have learnt!

Had a genuine Windows loaded- 4000baht.

Has worked perfectly ever since

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Bought a Samsung laptop at Banana IT, which was working fine for a while. Then slowly ground to a halt- the problem was fake copy Windows. Did a bit of research and discovered that maybe up to 90% of laptops etc in Thailand run on copies.

I did not consider that copy windows would be loaded- when bought from outlet in Central- have learnt!

Had a genuine Windows loaded- 4000baht.

Has worked perfectly ever since

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

one day the tv screens in the skytrain crashed and a message came up : this copy of ms windows is not genuine ,plz contact microsoft for a genuine activation key etc ......laugh.png

welcome to thailand ......

he was probably shocked you didnt haggle it down a couple of k and insist on some free accessories TIT biggrin.png

Oh no, I got all my free stuff. That cardbox box with the mouse, USB flash drive, head phones, cleaning fluid + rag, and all that good stuff. Plus a laptop bag as well. Guess I could have probably haggled them down, but meh...

Oh, and I can also say Dell Thailand is excellent. The motherboard in this laptop just recently went, and the support / servicing was better than I'd even expect in Canada. Took it back to BananaIT, and they told me to call Dell. A little bit of translation trouble, but myself and my neighbor got it figured that afternoon. On-site appointment scheduled, and next morning someone called me at 10am, and they were here at 11am. We phoned the Dell call center in Bangkok, and I'm in Khon Kaen, so that was pretty impressive in and of itself.

However, the most impressive thing was the guy shows up at my house at 11am with new motherboard in hand. That has NEVER happened to me in Canada. They always come over, inspect the computer, then go back to get the parts and schedule another appointment for another day. This guy had the motherboard already in hand, quickly installed it, and an hour later was out the door and my laptop was back up & running 100%. And under warranty, so it was free.

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot -- the guy also called me about 5 days later and asked if everything was ok, and if he could come by to check out my laptop and ensure it's 100%. I told him don't worry about it, but was definitely nice of him. Dell Canada techs don't do follow up phone calls.

Nautilus, I find my experiences with service here from a number of places to be very similar. It disgusts me to read such generalities as expressed by eyes wide "shut".. "In Thailand it is like the mouth of the tiger. Once the money goes in, it never comes back"....... While it may happen, it's NOT the norm...that's just ludicrous!

Nautilus, I find my experiences with service here from a number of places to be very similar. It disgusts me to read such generalities as expressed by eyes wide "shut".. "In Thailand it is like the mouth of the tiger. Once the money goes in, it never comes back"....... While it may happen, it's NOT the norm...that's just ludicrous!

Reread the posts. Western Digital and Dell are both American companies. So their branches here

seem to have the same concept of American style customer service. As I am sure many other people

would attest to, it IS mouth of the tiger here. A few years ago I bought a telephone at a small shop in Pantip Plaza in Bangkok. It was carefully wrapped in plastic. When I asked the owner in Thai if it was a new phone, he swore it was, and I paid the new phone price. When I got it home I discovered it was in fact a used phone as it was full of phone numbers. I returned to the shop, and politely asked for my money back as I did not want a used phone.

What do you think happened ?? Wait for it............wait....... he refused to refund my money. I then firmed up my tone, and told him I was going to call the tourist police to solve this problem. He told me I could do whatever I wanted, but he was not going to give me my money back. He had a shocked look on his face when I called up the tourist police. The policeman showed up, carefully listened to both of our sides, and then made the shop owner give me back my money less a small commission which in retrospect probably went into his pocket.

So my experiences here are mouth of the tiger. If you know that no problem. If you buy small stuff that fails, just throw it away. Buy bigger stuff at bigger companies that may or may not stand behind you. If your experiences in Thailand are that shop keepers refund money and stand behind their products, I guess you are a far luckier man than I am.....

Once had a Logitech mouse bought from them, after 8 months in warranty "repair" what I received was a far cheaper model of a mouse, which consequently broke soon after.

Never again, it's JIB or InvadeIT that get my business.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1

Reread the posts. Western Digital and Dell are both American companies. So their branches here

seem to have the same concept of American style customer service. As I am sure many other people

would attest to, it IS mouth of the tiger here. A few years ago I bought a telephone at a small shop in Pantip Plaza in Bangkok. It was carefully wrapped in plastic. When I asked the owner in Thai if it was a new phone, he swore it was, and I paid the new phone price. When I got it home I discovered it was in fact a used phone as it was full of phone numbers. I returned to the shop, and politely asked for my money back as I did not want a used phone.

What do you think happened ?? Wait for it............wait....... he refused to refund my money. I then firmed up my tone, and told him I was going to call the tourist police to solve this problem. He told me I could do whatever I wanted, but he was not going to give me my money back. He had a shocked look on his face when I called up the tourist police. The policeman showed up, carefully listened to both of our sides, and then made the shop owner give me back my money less a small commission which in retrospect probably went into his pocket.

So my experiences here are mouth of the tiger. If you know that no problem. If you buy small stuff that fails, just throw it away. Buy bigger stuff at bigger companies that may or may not stand behind you. If your experiences in Thailand are that shop keepers refund money and stand behind their products, I guess you are a far luckier man than I am.....

your very lucky ,the tourist police hve not got any real powers to tell a thai to refunnd you

they are basically just translaters and if someone needs to be

arrested or charged they have to get the real police to do it ......

I will second the OP !

Banana IT sales guys really know how to take it easy with their clients , ie, not trying to pressurize the client into buying. Instead, they take the time to explain every little detail about the product - this also shows the amount of training put into these guys - they know their product well indeed !

Unlike the other "City" stores, where sales guys are like cows grazing on the field - they have no idea about the stuff that they sell in their stores !

I have to add I don't really care about customer service at the premises. I google what I want at home, go to the spot and buy it. Trying to decide on HW by listening to sales BS is IMHO pretty much the recipe for disaster.

It's the after sales service that counts for me. In that regard Thomas from InvadeIT tops the score not only in Thailand, but pretty much everywhere I've shopped online. Their prices are a bit steeper but unless you're in a hurry to get something right away, worth the extra. I'm a very satisfied customer, not affiliated in any other sense.

• Like 1