Driving in UK with a Thai Licence?

I am British, living in Phuket with a non-O licence.

Yesterday, I 'swapped' my Philippines driving licence (which will expire tomorrow) for the one year car licence which, I've been told, doesn't allow me to get an International Permit.

I don't have a British licence. My soon-to-expire Pinoy licence has an international permit.

Is there any way to drive in the UK in my current situation?

Thanks a lot

No, to legally drive in the UK you need a permanent (5-year) license.

But you may be better of with this question in another forum. Must admit though diving and driving are similar.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply.

Does "temporary" mean it's not a 'full' licence? Is it the equivalent of a UK 'provisional'?

If so, f%^k! I needed to rent a car this summer and was always able to with the Pinoy one.

Is there any way to speed up the year wating for the temporary to become the 5 year licence?

Another forum... yep. That's what happens when you post in a hurry!

But you may be better of with this question in another forum. Must admit though diving and driving are similar.

Steve, why would he not be able to drive in the UK on a 1 Thai year license? Even a one year is considered a "full and valid' license" i.e. there are no restrictions on it, which all the UK requires.

makecoldplayhistory, the UK accepts foreign licenses and no international drivers permit is needed. Either of your Thai or Filipino licenses would allow you to drive legally in the UK for a year. Obviously they must not expire.

There are time limits. How long are you planning to be in the UK. Are you resident in the UK, or are you a resident of Thailand or The Phillippines? You can only be a resident of one country as far as drivers licenses are concerned.

Edited by NomadJoe

Does "temporary" mean it's not a 'full' licence? Is it the equivalent of a UK 'provisional'?

No, it is a "full an valid" license. There are no learner licenses in Thailand nor any restrictions on a 1 year license. (Other than the LTD won't issue an IDP on it)

If so, f%^k! I needed to rent a car this summer and was always able to with the Pinoy one.

Still can.

Is there any way to speed up the year waiting for the temporary to become the 5 year licence?

No. Not legally.

Edited by NomadJoe

You need a "full licence" according to the UK Gov site.

My only question is if the word "temporary" would be seen as the British equiv. of 'provisional'.

I always book the car rental for the summer months ahead and through a website such as carrentals.co.uk and get it nice and cheap. I don't want to turn up and be told I can;t and lose the money.

I think a friend of a friend of a friend works at Avis so hopefully they'll be able to tell me.

Honestly, my gut feeling is that

1) I will be properly insured in an MOT'd car

2) I'm a safe, experienced driver

3) I will be 100% honest at every part of the rental procedure

therefore, if I should need to give the UK police my details for whatever reason, they won't know if my licence counts as a full one or not (I certainly can't find the info out online*) and although ignorance is no excuse...

The more I think about it, the more I feel like I can. It is a full licence in as much as there aren't any additional stipulations. There isn't anything a holder of a 5 year licence can or can't do differently to my one year one.

*Stevenl - what makes you say that "temporary" means the licence isn't full? Not doubting, just asking wink.png

Edited by makecoldplayhistory
  • Like 1

To drive in the UK using an overseas licence it must have 12 validity remaining, a one year licence may be a full licence but it could not have one year remaining.

edit:

ah s%&t!

That's not how I read it. I read it as I can drive for 12 months from when I entered. After that 12 month period you need to leave the country or get a British Licence. The screenshot is from the UK Gvmt website. I chose "visitor to the UK" but get exactly the same result if I chose "British resident" (which I'm not).

Capture_zps9162e7fd.jpg

p.s. Has anyone sped up the 1 year wait?

If so, I'd love some extra info.

Edited by theoldgit
email address removed.

That's maybe not how you read it, but that's what they told me by email recently when this topic was discussed before. I will see if I still have the email.

By the way I've removed your email as posting such contravenes Forum Rules.

I misread their email, you are right and it's what I initially thought, that you can drive for up to twelve months on full licence, my apologies, in my haste I thought it said the licence must be valid for twelve months.

There is still a grey area as to whether the Thai 12 month Temporary licence is a full licence or not.

I'm not aware of any circumstances where you can renew a 12 month licence early, in fact I think it actually has to have expired before you can renew..

Thank you for your email received on 21/1/14. Your email reference number is 1740749.

It may help if I explain, as a visitor you may drive vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes and with up to 8 passenger seats, provided your full licence or International Driving Permit remains valid for up to 12 months from the date of entering Great Britain (GB).

*Stevenl - what makes you say that "temporary" means the licence isn't full? Not doubting, just asking wink.png

Previous answers on similar questions. So it could be that NJ is correct and it is legally valid, I'm simply not 100% sure about this. See the previous answer from theoldgit, this seems to be one of those grey areas.

Previous answers on similar questions. So it could be that NJ is correct and it is legally valid, I'm simply not 100% sure about this. See the previous answer from theoldgit, this seems to be one of those grey areas.

1 year Thai first issue licence is a ' temporary ' licence enabling you to drive in Thailand if you stay more than 90 days, so what does it mean ' temporary ' until you apply for your full Thai 5 year driving licence. smile.png

That's why you can't get a IDP in Thailand with it, not that you need one for the UK with a licence that is written in English anyhow .

Frankly because there seems to be so much doubt, if I was OP and not sure whether i can drive in UK or not, I would ring up Avis or Hertz they have offices here and ask them, bet you a pint the answer is ' no '. whistling.gif

No straight answer from Thai offices ring the UK offices then. thumbsup.gif

Frankly because there seems to be so much doubt, if I was OP and not sure whether i can drive in UK or not, I would ring up Avis or Hertz they have offices here and ask them, bet you a pint the answer is ' no '. whistling.gif

You owe me a pint, well maybe not.

I actually hired a car through Avis in the UK using a 12 month Thai licence, had no problem at all.

When this topic was raised before I asked answer the DVLA for a definitive answer, they couldn't/wouldn't give me one.

I also asked the DVLA about the requirements of car hire companies, and they suggested I contact them, I wrote to Avis and Hertz in the UK, neither gave a response.

• Like 1

I actually hired a car through Avis in the UK using a 12 month Thai licence, had no problem at all.

When this topic was raised before I asked answer the DVLA for a definitive answer, they couldn't/wouldn't give me one.

I also asked the DVLA about the requirements of car hire companies, and they suggested I contact them, I wrote to Avis and Hertz in the UK, neither gave a response.

Problem could also be that police/courts have a view that differs from that of Avis/Hertz.

I would still think that, since you can't get an IDP with it, it is not considered a full DL, so by using it the OP would be on this ice.

• Like 2

The answer to whether a Thai license used in the UK showing the word "Temporary" on it will in every situation be interpreted correctly as a "full and valid license", and not a provisional "learners" license is unknowable. As we all know, Thailand does not have provisional, restricted, learners licenses. But dealing with licensing is what I did for years back home, and I can tell you with some confidence that when a government says "full and valid" they mean not of the type which restricts the bearer in some way because they are a new driver. These restrictions often limit the new driver to daytime driving, driving with a parent or adult if minors are present in the vehicle, or not driving on highways and expressways. That is not what the Thai 1 year license is, as Thailand has no such restrictions. This is further evidenced by the fact that if one does not renew their 5 year license in time, or does not have a proper visa, they must go back to the 1 year license again. In fact it shouldn't say "Temporary" on it at all. Obviously a 5 year license is also temporary. It says "Temporary" because until a few years ago drivers could receive life long Thai license after having the 1 year license for 1 year.

Cops, car rentals places, insurance companies etc. will look for the word "Learner's" or "Provisional" to determine if it is a full and valid license or not. Provisional licenses look like this, and do not say "Temporary" or on them.

web-news-license.jpgprovisional-driving-licence.jpgll_sm.jpgnew_provisional_lic_info.jpg ACT_Provisional_Drivers_Licence_2009.jpg

My advice, don't worry about it.

Edited by NomadJoe

Just found (can't work out how to post a link with my new phone) that 'full' according to the British Government pretty much means, without additional caveats. As I am allowed to drive the same as anyone with a 5 year licence, I'm going to assume it's full.

I feel happy that I won;t be doing anything illegal; I'm only worried the rental company cause a problem and I lose money.

Although I always had the IDP with my Pinoy licence, I didn't ever show the IDP when hiring.

• Like 1

I just found something interesting. I hate Wikipedia and try to never use it, but I came across this when I was looking for any additional info on restrictions for the 1 year license:

Type of driver's licence
There are ten types of driving licence issued in Thailand. Seven main types are listed and explained below.

• Type 1 - Temporary Private Car: This licence is issued to those who have successfully completed the driving test. This licence is valid for a period of one year. Licence holders are not permitted to drive outside the country.

Applying for a driver's licence

Unlike most countries, there is no provisional or learner's licence in Thailand....

The reference link just goes to the Changmai LTD website which is in Thai. I'll have a poke around it and see what I can find. It is odd for the issuing country of a license to try to dictate to other country's what licenses they can accept. It is not up to Thailand whether the UK accepts their licenses. It's up to the UK.

Edited by NomadJoe
  • Like 2

It is odd for the issuing country of a license to try to dictate to other country's what licenses they can accept. It is not up to Thailand whether the UK accepts their licenses. It's up to the UK.

TIT ;)

I'm going to rent and base it one the UK's description of what counts as a full licence.

Honestly, having seen the video on driving 'safety' yesterday, I could understand why Thai licence holders of any description would be banned from the UK!

• Like 1

One thing that happened to me when I rented from Hertz in the UK, I reserved my car online but it wouldn't let me pay in advance without a UK address.

Picked the car up, no problem with my Thai licence, address and credit card, and off we went into the sunset.

When I returned the car and went to pay, the system virtually doubled the price, I was told based on the fact I had a Thai licence and address.

I cried fowl and said that I had a fixed price rental quote, which I produced, and the quote included my Thai address. To be fair to the guy he honoured the price by manually overriding the system, I suspect he wouldn't have done if I hadn't have had the quote with me.

Maybe the Hertz executives have watched that video.

I had a thought. I was curious what Thai word is used for "temporary" on the 1 year licenses. I think we all understand the difference between the word "provisional" (comes with provisions) and "temporary'. On the 1 year license they use the word "ชั่วคราว" chûa kraao. Every translator and the Thai person next to me agree that means "temporary" and not "provisional". Google translate seems to think

To make things more complicated, the phrase "ใบอนุญาตขับรถชั่วคราว" on the ChaingMaiLTD website referenced gets translated by Chrome to "Provisional Drivers License."!

http://www.chiangmaidlt.go.th/main.php?pp=services/license_detail.php

I don't think any of this makes a difference to the OP, but does go to show that Thailand is no place for pedanticism. Still, I am curious enough to kick this question over the the Thai language forum.

I got an IDP from the Driving Centre in Phuket when I only had the 1 year Licence. I planned to drive in Vietnam, but I didn't tell them that and I noticed that the same Permit listed the UK as one of the countries specifically that it covered. What the "rozzers" in the UK would say I cannot tell you but what I can say is that UK insurance companies would consider you a foreign driver and if you broke any driving laws you would not be able to pay a fixed fine and would have to go before a beak.

Give Avis a call in the UK and ask, even if you don't plan on using them, they will know.

SDM

Edited by SDM0712

I had a thought. I was curious what Thai word is used for "temporary" on the 1 year licenses. I think we all understand the difference between the word "provisional" (comes with provisions) and "temporary'. On the 1 year license they use the word "ชั่วคราว" chûa kraao. Every translator and the Thai person next to me agree that means "temporary" and not "provisional". Google translate seems to think

To make things more complicated, the phrase "ใบอนุญาตขับรถชั่วคราว" on the ChaingMaiLTD website referenced gets translated by Chrome to "Provisional Drivers License."!

I don't think any of this makes a difference to the OP, but does go to show that Thailand is no place for pedanticism. Still, I am curious enough to kick this question over the the Thai language forum.

It's irrelevant now because new one year licences have the word temporary in English on them.

The words "temporary " and " provisional " in English are interchangeable and mean the same thing.

However, as we all know, a UK provisional licence is available to anyone over the age of 17 and carries no driving qualification, nor does it allow the holder to drive without being accompanied by a licensed driver. The Thai Licence by comparison is only issued following the taking of a test (I'm laughing as I write that bit) and only issued after that test (still laughing) is passed that confirms that the driver is safe (still going) to drive. In short a similar process to the issuing of a full UK Licence. A one year Thai Licence might be acceptable with an IDP.

My wife drove in the UK for a year on her Thai Licence, with an authorized translation. This was accepted by the insurance company but she never had a producer so I have no idea what the boys in blue would make of it.

SDM

Edited by SDM0712

It's irrelevant now because new one year licences have the word temporary in English on them.

I know. I have 5 year licenses myself. But that English is translated from the Thai on them. That is why I wanted to know what Thai word they were translating.

The words "temporary " and " provisional " in English are interchangeable and mean the same thing.

<snip>

They can be used interchangeably depending on the context. But in this context they are different. Provisional means it carries provisions, i.e. restrictions on the user. Temporary does not imply provisions, other than not being permanent.

• Like 1

Buy you a pint anytime if you are coming through Sukhothai. thumbsup.gif

What you have wrote just confirms what I am trying to say the hire companies are eager to take your money but if you had been unfortunate enough to have had an accident the proverbial you know what would of hit the fan I reckon. biggrin.png

• Like 1

To be pedantic a 5-year Thai license is not permanent, nor a standard UK driving license either as they both are only valid for a finite period of time.

However in terms of what is a "full" license the Thai 1-year & 5-year both allow a driver to drive several vehicles without a licensed person to supervise and require passing of a minimum standard test whereas the UK provisional license does not. So I think it is an easy argument to make that the only effective difference between the Thai 1 & 5 year license is the period of validity.

My wife actually does have a truly permanent life time Thai license. I have been told that the Thais don't issue these anymore but I am unsure if they are only issued to Thais.

SDM

To be pedantic a 5-year Thai license is not permanent, nor a standard UK driving license either as they both are only valid for a finite period of time.

However in terms of what is a "full" license the Thai 1-year & 5-year both allow a driver to drive several vehicles without a licensed person to supervise and require passing of a minimum standard test whereas the UK provisional license does not. So I think it is an easy argument to make that the only effective difference between the Thai 1 & 5 year license is the period of validity.

My wife actually does have a truly permanent life time Thai license. I have been told that the Thais don't issue these anymore but I am unsure if they are only issued to Thais.

SDM

Yes, pedantic, that is why I put the 5-year in between brackets. The Thai themselves put limitations on their 1-year license, see an earlier post e.g., so don't agree that it is an easy argument.

Thais used to get life time licenses, not anymore these days. I still have a 10-year license, expiring next year, so I'm afraid I'll also go down to a 5-year one.