returned tax paid

Hi guys, This year after being here 10 years i dicided to claim back the tax on my bank interest. I had three seperate fixed term A/C from 2012 to 2013 . The earlier A/C books i had thrown away. Everything went well ,the tax office staff were very helpfull . After about three weeks i recieved a cheque but only for less than half the sum i paid which isent a great deal of money . All three books were the same bank. Is it worth going back for a small amount as its never easy when you dont speak and understand thai. Any experience with this anybody . cheers for any help .Pete

You should go back. "Say just for example" those three separate accounts amounted to Bt4K and Bt5K in 2012 interest withheld and the third amounted to Bt6K in 2013 withheld. Assuming you are just filing for refund of the interest versus including those amounts on a full blown tax return because you work in Thailand and have other Thai income, you should have got back the full Bt6K for 2013 and "almost" all or all of the Bt9K for 2012. Since there would be a small penalty for filing late for 2012 they would apply a small charge of a couple hundred baht but I don't know if that is taken from the refund amount or taken upfront when you file. If taken upfront then you should have got the entire Bt9K for 2012.

I've seen other posts where people have filed for past returns and a few had issues where the refund came up short...they went back to the tax office and found out it was an error/misunderstanding on the tax office end...they had lost some doc you originally submitted...they just made an error. The problem was spotted, then the tax office refund the missing amount several weeks later.

Summary: of course go back and ask why you didn't get the entire amount refunded...and ask from a standpoint of staying your should have got back X-amount but only got Z-amount

I did wonder if they dealt with each book seperatly but that would be a farse ,then again tit .I will go in with my books see if it was a mistake or not. They deal with rebates till end of march

the staff said on my initial visit in feb . Thanks pete...

I did wonder if they dealt with each book seperatly but that would be a farse ,then again tit .I will go in with my books see if it was a mistake or not. They deal with rebates till end of march

the staff said on my initial visit in feb . Thanks pete...

Remember, not only do you need the passbooks but the tax doc/form from the bank that paid the withholding tax. So, if you had interest withheld three times you should have 3 tax docs from the bank in addition to the 3 passbooks.

And if they actually submitted two tax refund requests, one for 2012 and one for 2013, then yes, maybe they only paid one "so far" and the other one is still processing. Did the amount you did get refunded match one of those years?

Edited by Pib
  • Like 2

Two returns ? yes that makes sense. I checed the amount of tax back against the 2012 , then the 2013 , and halilulya the cheque matches 2012 so it looks like you have hit the nail on the head and the 2013 is still to be procesed. Just shows (think twice act once) or ask for advice. Thanks for replies guys.peteclap2.gif

• Like 1