Missing Malaysia Airlines jet carrying 239 triggers Southeast Asia search

webfact

The Nation just ran a piece headlined "US Obama calls for transparency in missing plane case".

Yep. Wouldn't want Air Force One going missing, would we.

OMG, Boeing made that one too, someone should tell our hero Dr M!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Air Force One is the call sign given to any plane the president is aboard, even a helicopter. The two nearly identical 747's, any other plane, and the chopper that picks Obama up from the White House lawn are all Air Force One when he's aboard.

Just some trivia for the non-Yanks.

I thought the chopper was called 'Marine One' (I jest not)

So, even if the prez is hang-gliding, that hang glider is dubbed 'Air Force One'? (I jest, partially)

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So, even if the prez is hang-gliding, that hang glider is dubbed 'Air Force One'? (I jest, partially)

Marine One is correct for any aircraft under marine control, which at the moment is the helicopters (Marine One). There is also Army One and Coast Guard One but neither are active at the moment. If a civilian aircraft it is Executive One so guess that glider would be Executive One. biggrin.png

But getting a bit off topic.

Status update from CNN in the wake of Obama's Malaysia visit:

Because of inclement weather, the planned air and sea search for Sunday was suspended, the Joint Agency Coordination Center said. The search by the Bluefin-21 autonomous underwater vehicle went ahead as planned, search coordinators said. It has found nothing of consequence so far.

Obama's visit comes as the initial search by the Bluefin-21 nears its end.

The submersible, which is on contract to the U.S. Navy, is scouring the ocean floor for traces of the plane.

Previously, another device, a towed pinger locator, detected signals that officials believed were from the jet's flight recorders, which determined the current search area for the Bluefin.

The underwater sonar device has slowly scoured 95% of the ocean floor area that searchers had narrowed down for it. So far, it has found no trace of the missing jetliner.

If the Bluefin-21 searches 100% of the area with nothing to show for it, the underwater search may expand, Australian officials said.

On Saturday, the British ship HMS Echo returned to port in Perth, Australia, for replenishment after assisting in the search.

A U.S. Navy source told CNN on Friday that the current search area is expected to move slightly north if the Bluefin doesn't find any wreckage. Specifically, it might shift to encompass a 6-mile radius around where another "ping" was detected.

The underwater search so far has focused on a circle with a 10-kilometer (6-mile) radius around the location of a detected "ping," the Joint Agency Coordination Center said.

"We are currently consulting very closely with our international partners on the best way to continue the search into the future," the Australian-based center coordinating the search said in a statement.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/04/27/world/asia/malaysia-airlines-plane/?iref=obinsite

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Well Abbott gave a lengthy update this morning and took questions. Essentially said:

(1) Little chance of finding floating debris now.

(2) They are baffled and frustrated at not finding wreckage yet.

(3) The RR engine data and the Black Box pings are the most credible data from which they are working.

(4) They've spent AU$60m on the search so far and expect other nations to chip in when asked.

The most telling thing was that the producers on Sky and the BBC decided it wasn't worth showing more than a few minutes. I actually had to switch to CNBC to see more than that, and even they cut away after a few questions.

It's fairly obvious that it's not going to be a major news story again until they find something.

Well Abbott gave a lengthy update this morning and took questions. Essentially said:

(3) The RR engine data and the Black Box pings are the most credible data from which they are working.

(4) They've spent AU$60m on the search so far and expect other nations to chip in when asked.

The most telling thing was that the producers on Sky and the BBC decided it wasn't worth showing more than a few minutes. I actually had to switch to CNBC to see more than that, and even they cut away after a few questions.

It's fairly obvious that it's not going to be a major news story again until they find something.

Sorry that I missed Abbott's update, even though I take politicians statements with a grain of salt, I am confused about the reference to "RR engine data" - did I miss something ? I thought that the last engine data was received while MH370 was still over the South China Sea. Do you have a link ?

Sorry that I missed Abbott's update, even though I take politicians statements with a grain of salt, I am confused about the reference to "RR engine data" - did I miss something ? I thought that the last engine data was received while MH370 was still over the South China Sea. Do you have a link ?

My understanding was that the pings via Inmarsat were what gave the likely final resting place of the aircraft as the engine data was sent back to Rolls Royce, so not in the South China Sea, but southern Indian Ocean. I may be wrong, and I can't give you a link, sorry.

This is the only link I could find.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/23028226/mh370-search-being-scaled-back-pm-abbott/

Fool on him, if he had been reading this thread from the start he wouldn't have wasted that much money.

The Nation just ran a piece headlined "US Obama calls for transparency in missing plane case".

Air Force One is the call sign given to any plane the president is aboard, even a helicopter. The two nearly identical 747's, any other plane, and the chopper that picks Obama up from the White House lawn are all Air Force One when he's aboard.

Yep.thumbsup.gif

Wouldn't want Dr M getting in the way of a Bell Helicopter rotor blade, would we.

Yep.thumbsup.gif

Wouldn't want Dr M getting in the way of a Bell Helicopter rotor blade, would we.

Hmm, let's ponder that possibility a bit more ...

Marine One is correct for any aircraft under marine control, which at the moment is the helicopters (Marine One). There is also Army One and Coast Guard One but neither are active at the moment. If a civilian aircraft it is Executive One so guess that glider would be Executive One. biggrin.png

But getting a bit off topic.

'Knew a former Marine One pilot (for Reagan). The callsign follows the president, not the aircraft. WhatEVER service's aircraft in which the president happens to be riding becomes <service name>One, until he disembarks, at which point it reverts to its own callsign. It's probably safe to assume there might be some security-related exceptions to this practice in certain situations. . But of course the "normally used" Air Force One is the Boeing.

To sort of connect the asides with the topic, flight MH One is from London to KL; SQ One is San Francisco to Singapore; and BA One is London to New York. Oh and AF One (Air France One, not AIr Force One) used to be Concorde from Paris to New York.

Edited by catterwell

To sort of connect the asides with the topic, flight MH One is from London to KL; SQ One is San Francisco to Singapore; and BA One is London to New York. Oh and AF One (Air France One, not AIr Force One) used to be Concorde from Paris to New York.

Well, as USA-bashing and conspiracy theories are ever popular sport around here, I'm sure it's only a matter of time until somebody dreams up a conspiracy theory involving Air Force One and Boeing...

My understanding was that the pings via Inmarsat were what gave the likely final resting place of the aircraft as the engine data was sent back to Rolls Royce, so not in the South China Sea, but southern Indian Ocean. I may be wrong, and I can't give you a link, sorry.

Thanks for that. You (and Abbott) were talking about the SATCOM pings which Inmarsat used to theoretically plot the course of MH370. These pings are merely handshakes and include no data from the RR engines or otherwise; the last engine data was with the last ACARS transmission before MH370 went silent. The SATCOM pings are analogous to the periodic handshakes between your mobile phone and the closest tower - they continue even though no phone call is made/received.

Well, as USA-bashing and conspiracy theories are ever popular sport around here, I'm sure it's only a matter of time until somebody dreams up a conspiracy theory involving Air Force One and Boeing...

That would be so much easier if MH370 was a B747, and had enough fuel to make it to Paine Field - of course they could refuel at DIego Garcia, and have a quick mod to add a probe and drogue refuelling system for the balance of the trip.

No doubt Spielberg is working on the screenplay.

Boeing, Boeing, Gone.

Deja Vu ,the most famous French play

Boeing-Boeing is a classic farcewritten by the French playwrightMarc Camoletti. The English language adaptation, translated byBeverley Cross, was first staged in London at theApollo Theatre in 1962 and transferred to the Duchess Theatre in 1965, running for a total of seven years.[1] In 1991, the play was listed in theGuinness Book of Records as the most performed French play throughout the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing-Boeing_(play)

As for Dr M he's part of the rong gang

Shihan de Silva Jayasuriya - 2008 - ‎History

Margaret Kartomi (1984: 312–219) states that kroncong, joget,ronggang and dondang sayang were music and dance genres that evolved in the Malay courts

As for MAS Frowning Downing Drowning,

To be fair they'll probably be helped by Beijing,Boeing and the Oz taxpayer for most of the search but their shareholders after the recent return to KL with tyre problem are also in a fix.

I am not convinced MAS were part of any global conspircay just ther crisis management and media skills brings questions about competence.This is a worrying area when choosing a carrier TG may be idle overpriced etc but have the sense to cover up most problems

You start drinking quite early, don't you?

smile.png

Are you still sticking to pilot suicide and S Indian Ocean chicog?

What has jolted my thought process is the point made by another poster about depressurisation and then a 6 hour flight to immortality.

"An Adelaide-based exploration company believes it may have located the wreckage of Malaysia Airlines flight MH370, 5000km away from where authorities have been looking.

The company, GeoResonance, says its research has identified elements on the ocean floor consistent with material from a plane."

This is an interesting story about a serious scientific effort to find the plane -- but as yet no response from the Australians or Malaysians.

Full story is at : https://au.news.yahoo.com/sa/a/23036893/exploration-company-believes-it-may-have-found-mh370/

To be fair they'll probably be helped by Beijing,Boeing and the Oz taxpayer for most of the search but their shareholders after the recent return to KL with tyre problem are also in a fix.

I am not convinced MAS were part of any global conspircay just ther crisis management and media skills brings questions about competence.This is a worrying area when choosing a carrier TG may be idle overpriced etc but have the sense to cover up most problems

MAS have just announced cancellation of their Kuala Lumpur - Los Angeles service effective April 30, due to "lack of economic viability". This service was via B777 and or course they are short one, and obviously did not want to buy'/ease another in the midst of continuing losses and declining revenues.

Edited by tigermonkey

I agree, but black paint is not always the most transparent method of cover-up.

Edited by tigermonkey

"An Adelaide-based exploration company believes it may have located the wreckage of Malaysia Airlines flight MH370, 5000km away from where authorities have been looking.

The company, GeoResonance, says its research has identified elements on the ocean floor consistent with material from a plane."

This is an interesting story about a serious scientific effort to find the plane -- but as yet no response from the Australians or Malaysians.

Full story is at : https://au.news.yahoo.com/sa/a/23036893/exploration-company-believes-it-may-have-found-mh370/

Little old insomniac lady in the window seat might not look so wacky now!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app