Missing Malaysia Airlines jet carrying 239 triggers Southeast Asia search

webfact

Seems some think 'fly by wire' gives the ability to ground base remote control an aircraft. Fly by wire has been around since 1958 then the Concorde in 1969 and Airbus started using them in the 1980's. It's strictly removing the direct mechanical links to the flight systems and replaced by computer linked to the cockpit control via 'wires' either electrical or optical. Of course many fighter jets have them also for a long time.

There is an extremely low likely hood that any aircraft certification approval would be given for ground base flying (remote) of a commercial airliner due to the serious safety factors involved. As for the earlier post, it is being misinterpreted as to what the technical details are really saying.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You just don't quit do you? smile.png

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Me? or You...tongue.png

Well do you want to tell us why you suddenly finding out that Boeing (and Airbus for that matter) use Fly By Wire is something that no-one else knew?

Can you provide Documentation that Airbus does infact have also??

Me? or You...tongue.png

Well do you want to tell us why you suddenly finding out that Boeing (and Airbus for that matter) use Fly By Wire is something that no-one else knew?

http://www.airbus.com/innovation/proven-concepts/in-design/fly-by-wire/

Me? or You...tongue.png

Oh my dear God man. Have you been living in a cave?

Oh my dear God man. Have you been living in a cave?

Guess he missed the first A320 flight in 1988 by Air France, first A320 flight that crashed and due to the automation aspect of the system. The fly by wire was brought to the public's attention due to this crash.

Marine One is correct for any aircraft under marine control, which at the moment is the helicopters (Marine One). There is also Army One and Coast Guard One but neither are active at the moment. If a civilian aircraft it is Executive One so guess that glider would be Executive One. biggrin.png

But getting a bit off topic.

...and what is the Special One? Apologies for off topic, saw P45's post and thought I was elsewhere.

Air search for missing Malaysian plane called off

Video: Officials announce that the search for Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 will focus on a larger area of the Indian Ocean floor as the chance of finding floating debris further diminishes.

CANBERRA, Australia — The aerial search for the missing Malaysia Airlines jet was called off Monday, and the underwater hunt will be expanded to include a vast swath of ocean floor that may take at least eight months to thoroughly search, Australian officials said.

Not a single piece of confirmed debris from Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 has been recovered by a massive multinational hunt that began after it disappeared March 8 with 239 people on board.

“It is highly unlikely at this stage that we will find any aircraft debris on the ocean surface. By this stage, 52 days into the search, most material would have become waterlogged and sunk,” Prime Minister Tony Abbott said.

“Therefore, we are moving from the current phase to a phase which is focused on searching the ocean floor over a much larger area,” he said.

The U.S. Navy’s Bluefin 21 robotic submarine has spent weeks scouring the initial search area for the plane in the remote Indian Ocean far off Australia’s west coast, but has found no trace of the missing aircraft. Officials are now looking to bring in new equipment that can search a larger patch of seabed for the plane, Abbott said.

The aerial search officially ended Monday, the search coordination center confirmed.

Radar and satellite data show the jet veered far off course for unknown reasons during a flight from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, to Beijing. Analyses indicate it would have run out of fuel in the remote section of ocean where the search has been focused.

The unmanned sub has been creating a three-dimensional sonar map of the ocean floor for more than two weeks near where signals consistent with airplane black boxes were heard on April 8. The sub has searched a nearly 400-square kilometer (150-square mile) area.

Crews will now begin searching the plane’s entire probable impact zone, an area 700 kilometers (430 miles) long and 80 kilometers (50 miles) wide, Abbott said.

That will be a monumental task — and one that will take time, warned Angus Houston, head of the search effort.

“If everything goes perfectly, I would say we’ll be doing well if we do it in eight months,” Houston said, adding that weather and technical issues could prolong the search well beyond that estimate.

Australian officials will be contacting private companies to bring in additional sonar mapping equipment that can be towed behind boats to search the expanded area at an estimated cost of $60 million, Abbott said. It could take officials several weeks to organize contracts for the new equipment and the Bluefin will continue to scour the seabed in the meantime, Abbott said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/missing-planes-search-area-to-be-expanded/2014/04/28/46a444d2-ce8b-11e3-a714-be7e7f142085_story.html

Edited by 3NUMBAS

I keep wondering where the US is in all of this. They have deployed a few assets, and loaned some, but where are the hoards of ships and planes including submarine destroyers that can look down with precision? Why aren't they blanketing that ocean instead of letting smaller countries hunt for the plane in small areas?

Do US satellites have any data? Why is the US so silent in this?

I keep wondering if they know where it is and are working a whole different angle.

Who knows?

They are probably the ones that shot it down, so no plane no trails.

coffee1.gif

Let me guess.....................you're an American ?

I'm NOT American and found that suggestion offensive.

I would bet everything I have that it wasn't shot down in the southern ocean. If it is proven to be, I'll drop my duds in Times Square at peak hour. It is a ludicrous suggestion, up there with 9/11 being an inside job.

I can see a case for having it shot down, and that is if it was about to be used as a missile in a terrorist attack, but that wasn't the situation.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/sa/a/23036893/exploration-company-believes-it-may-have-found-mh370/

Why has this been kind hushed... This is the first I read from AU News Channel 7 website...

Anyone know where this site is? Being 5000kms from where they are now searching???

It hasn't been hushed.

It's bang up to date (April 28) and tigermonkey posted it earlier.

We are all waiting for official response from the authorities.

Quite a few posts on GeoResonance's findings on pprune last night but I see that they have all been removed now. Not sure why that would be deemed sensitive as the news stories are all out there.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/sa/a/23036893/exploration-company-believes-it-may-have-found-mh370/

Why has this been kind hushed... This is the first I read from AU News Channel 7 website...

Anyone know where this site is? Being 5000kms from where they are now searching???

It hasn't been hushed.

Quite a few posts on GeoResonance's findings on pprune last night but I see that they have all been removed now. Not sure why that would be deemed sensitive as the news stories are all out there.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?gs_rn=42&gs_ri=psy-ab&cp=16&gs_id=1q&xhr=t&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.65397613,d.dGI&biw=1366&bih=643&q=bay+of+bengal+map&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x30986dc9280955a1:0x1eb983108723598e,Bay+of+Bengal&gl=au&sa=X&ei=Nu5eU967GtCmkgXf0IHwAw&sqi=2&ved=0CCcQ8gEwAA

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.yourchildlearns.com%2Fonline-atlas%2Fimages%2Findian-ocean-map.gif&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.yourchildlearns.com%2Fonline-atlas%2Findian-ocean-map.htm&h=557&w=804&tbnid=OSjC-fgc5BXm2M%3A&zoom=1&docid=UYsSJgKVbRotIM&ei=3-9eU8PxFYyYlQWN3ICwCw&tbm=isch&ved=0CGwQMygAMAA&iact=rc&uact=3&dur=599&page=1&start=0&ndsp=12

Maybe not 5000 Kms from the area being searched, but certainly a long way, inconsistent with the track from the Inmarsat satellite, but possibly consistent with the 'northern corridor' data from Inmarsat.

Intriguing that there has been no wreckage washed up, in spite of there being vast coastlines in the Bay of Bengal to which wreckage could drift.

Could it be a 15 minutes of fame scenario? When it comes to being self serving, stranger things have happened.

Edited by F4UCorsair

It appears those links are being removed from the major news sources. You can still find it elsewhere if you do a search with " Pavel Kursa from GeoResonance". Looks like it may indeed have been a 15 minutes of fame episode.

It appears those links are being removed from the major news sources. You can still find it elsewhere if you do a search with " Pavel Kursa from GeoResonance". Looks like it may indeed have been a 15 minutes of fame episode.

Unashamed self promotion knows no bounds.

I'm often very happy I'm a skeptic and pessimist. I'm never disappointed, but very occasionally I'm pleasantly surprised.

It hasn't been hushed.

Possibly because the person making them is a self promoting clown, and it gives people something to hang their hats on? False hope?

“Our team was very excited when we found what we believe to be the wreckage of a commercial airliner,” Mr Pope said.

Pavel Kursa from GeoResonance told 7News: “We identified chemical elements and materials that make up a Boeing 777… these are aluminium, titanium, copper, steel alloys and other materials.”

“The wreckage wasn’t there prior to the disappearance of MH370,” Mr Pope said.

The full report was delivered on April 15.

“We’re not trying to say that it definitely is MH370, however it is a lead we feel should be followed up,” Mr Pope told 7News.

There was nothing there three days before the disappearance, metal items consistent with an airliner found after, but we're not saying it's MH370? What is he saying then....that another airliner crashed, one of which nobody is aware?

I think this answers the question

7News tried to contact the office of search co-coordinator Angus Houston today but there was no response.

Edited by F4UCorsair

I'm still befuddled as to why the US, European allies and Canada aren't more involved in this search.

The US didn't need an invitation. It had 4 citizens on board.

The US has a history of jumping in when there's trouble such as in Haiti and the tsunami in Indonesia. Right after the tsunami, the US parked either one or two Nimitz-class aircraft carriers offshore. Those carriers are staffed by more than 5,000 troops, some of whom went ashore to help. Each carrier could put out a line and pump 50,000 gallons of clean drinking water to shore every day, converted from seawater. The ships had a lot of surplus food, full hospitals, lots of medical supplies and helicopters to shuttle goods and people.

They sent a hospital ship.

Now they are almost silent. They aren't pouring assets into the search. Neither are the closest allies.

Someone please tell me why?

Is that plane in a hanger in one of the 'stans or Somalia or elsewhere with it and its passengers being held for ransom with negotiations going on?

Even if the pilot was on a suicide mission to crash it into Diego Garcia and the US shot it down, they would admit it.

Where are the big players who had passengers on board, and why are they silent?

Where is any debris at all, and why not? The seat cushions are closed-cell foam and even of torn would float forever.

Only $4 million? I guess the reason they jumped into Haiti and Indonesia, is because those countries don't have developed Search and Rescue/Emergency facilities, whereas Australia does, and a long record of successful searches and retrievals from some inhospitable parts of the southern ocean. It does fall within Australia's SAR zone as I understand it, and European and Canadian authorities wouldn't bother for that reason?

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/04/07/the-u-s-has-spent-almost-4m-searching-for-mh370-and-others-have-spent-way-more/

I think you're reading too much into the US not involving itself further, although I do hope that all are safe and awaiting liberation by the Seals or similarly exciting end to it all.

I too am intrigued by the lack of debris, but I think a 'flying it on' scenario is possible with minimal breakup, hence no/little debris. What I have difficulty with is that if hijacked by one of the crew, how he could fly for 6+ hours after making the decision to kill himself, after killing all others on board by depressurizing.

A large part of modern aircraft is composite material, cellular, and floats forever, e.g., engine cowls, and they would break away with little impact force.

If hijacked by another person, significant flying skills would have been required to 'fly it on', and almost certainly a high degree of break up would have resulted, with consequent large amounts of floating debris.

If there is any credibility to be attached to the GeoResonance claim, and I doubt there is or should be, then any debris would have certainly been found onshore by now because of the proximity to coastlines.

Edited by F4UCorsair

No offense, but that's 3 weeks old. I'm looking for current news of an intensive search.

It's as if everything went cold.

I'm not offended, and I realized it was three weeks old, but do they need to give a running commentary of expenditure, or even involvement? Possibly that figure could have been doubled or trebled?

They were probably still involved until the search for floating wreckage was called off yesterday.

The press has a tendency to go cold on yesterday's news because it no longer sells newspapers, so that may explain no news. There were tens of thousands involved in the Indonesian tsunami and Haitian earthquake, so no longer as newsworthy? I don't know why, but I suspect there is nothing insidious about the whole thing.

Edited by F4UCorsair

I can see a case for having it shot down, and that is if it was about to be used as a missile in a terrorist attack, but that wasn't the situation.

So if you know that wasn't the situation, then you must know what was the actual situation.

We are all ears to your revelations now.

So if you know that wasn't the situation, then you must know what was the actual situation.

What bizarre logic. I don't have to know what DID happen to speculate on what DIDN'T happen. What did happen may/could be anything that didn't happen, but I'm not speculating on that.

That's akin to saying ,"dogs have tails, therefore everything with a tail is a dog!!"

It would have been better if you'd posted, "So if you know that wasn't the situation, what do you think may have been the situation."

If it was a terrorist threat, it would have been shot down close to the coast, on its return to KL or other city in SE Asia, so there would be plentiful wreckage. It probably wasn't a terrorist threat thousands of kilometers from land?? I got it, the terrorists were threatening to crash it into the sea and kill all on board, so the military shot it down.......and it crashed into the sea killing all on board?? Thats it.

It happened early on Saturday morning, and from my time in the military, not much is happening from stand down Friday until stand to Monday, probably excepting the US and Israel, and the chances of scrambling fighters to intercept a target within an hour would be low to nil. Why would terrorists fly it around, threatening to drive it into the Petronas Towers, or other target, giving the military time to prepare. It would have been done soon after the turn back.

You may now continue being all ears......stand down!

Edited by F4UCorsair

MH370: Exploration firm claims wreckage found
Tan Yi Liang
The Star

KUALA LUMPUR: -- An exploration company, GeoResonance has claimed it found the wreckage of the crashed Malaysia Airlines flight, MH370, six weeks after it left Kuala Lumpur International Airport for Beijing on March 8.

The Adelaide-based GeoResonance said yesterday the possible wreckage was found in the Bay of Bengal, 5,000km away from the current search location in the southern Indian Ocean off Perth, with the company beginning its own search on March 10.

GeoResonance’s search covered 2,000,000 sq km of the possible crash zone using images obtained from satellites and aircraft, with company scientists focusing their efforts north of MH370’s last known location. Over 20 technologies were used to analyse the data, including a nuclear reactor.

According to company spokesperson David Pope: “The technology that we use was originally designed to find nuclear warheads and submarines. Our team in Ukraine decided we should try and help.”

Pope said GeoResonance compared their findings with images taken on March 5, three days before MH370 went missing, and did not find what they had detected at the spot.

“The wreckage wasn’t there prior to the disappearance of MH370. We’re not trying to say it definitely is MH370. However, it is a lead we feel should be followed up,” said Pope.

Another GeoResonance spokesperson, Pavel Kursa said several elements found in commercial airliners were detected at the Bay of Bengal spot identified by GeoResonance.

“We identified chemical elements and materials that make up a Boeing 777… these are aluminium, titanium, copper, steel alloys and other materials,” said Kursa in a statement reported by Australian news channel 7News.

Department of Civil Aviation director-general Azharuddin Abdul Rahman told The Star that Malaysia was unaware of the report of the finding.

“We will have to check and verify this report,” he said.

ann.jpg
-- ANN 2014-04-29

What bizarre logic. I don't have to know what DID happen to speculate on what DIDN'T happen. What did happen may/could be anything that didn't happen, but I'm not speculating on that.

That's akin to saying ,"dogs have tails, therefore everything with a tail is a dog!!"

It would have been better if you'd posted, "So if you know that wasn't the situation, what do you think may have been the situation."

If it was a terrorist threat, it would have been shot down close to the coast, on its return to KL or other city in SE Asia, so there would be plentiful wreckage. It probably wasn't a terrorist threat thousands of kilometers from land?? I got it, the terrorists were threatening to crash it into the sea and kill all on board, so the military shot it down.......and it crashed into the sea killing all on board?? Thats it.

It happened early on Saturday morning, and from my time in the military, not much is happening from stand down Friday until stand to Monday, probably excepting the US and Israel, and the chances of scrambling fighters to intercept a target within an hour would be low to nil. Why would terrorists fly it around, threatening to drive it into the Petronas Towers, or other target, giving the military time to prepare. It would have been done soon after the turn back.

You may now continue being all ears......stand down!

So you have no idea about what happened but you ridicule my opinion as offensive ? Sorry, I should have looked up that you and 2 others own this thread and are the only ones that come up with ridiculous conspiracies opinions.

It happened early on Saturday morning, and from my time in the military, not much is happening from stand down Friday until stand to Monday, probably excepting the US and Israel, and the chances of scrambling fighters to intercept a target within an hour would be low to nil.

So according to your military experience, during weekends terrorists have a field day, or is there a mutual agreement that they take off also on weekends cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I have an idea what your military time exists of, but I'm not gonna post it, because with comments like that everybody will know already

Can somebody give me an update please?

There were previous mentions of the GeoResonance 'findings' possibly being a publicity stunt.

Are the authorities taking this potential discovery seriously and investigating accordingly?

tnx.