Missing Malaysia Airlines jet carrying 239 triggers Southeast Asia search

webfact

Your native language is?

Not English, I thought that was obvious enough, and since you said you're British I'm confident that it's not a language in which you can have a conversation without minor grammar mistakes.smile.png

Edited by JesseFrank

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Your native language is?

Not English, I thought that was obvious enough, and since you said you're British I'm confident that it's not a language in which you can have a conversation without minor grammar mistakes.smile.png

Reckon I'll have to take a wild guess then.

I'm not a nuclear physicist, though I did play one on TV, I can't think of any way they would use a nuclear reactor to search for a downed plane. Any ideas?

It's probably the media's interpretation of nuclear magnetic resonance. As I understand it, Georesonance use techniques involving nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy to identify and quantify elements in locations that they survey.

I'm not a nuclear physicist, though I did play one on TV, I can't think of any way they would use a nuclear reactor to search for a downed plane. Any ideas?

It's probably the media's interpretation of nuclear magnetic resonance. As I understand it, Georesonance use techniques involving nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy to identify and quantify elements in locations that they survey.

Got there before me. The tech we are talking about is called "Remote Sensing" and is commonly used to find mineral deposits. This stuff is BIG business & attracts BIG money as the tech is used on NASA missions. Think Star Trek and "launch a probe....we have a class M planet, etc, etc" and you're onto it. This tech could easily be used in this way...though I'm unclear how reliable the data is through water.

The image you see is an interpretation using lightwaves (lower frequency) so we can interpret. Now I'm out....I was sales....I had awesome tech consultants for the rest :)

Sent from my HTC Desire using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Got there before me. The tech we are talking about is called "Remote Sensing" and is commonly used to find mineral deposits. This stuff is BIG business & attracts BIG money as the tech is used on NASA missions. Think Star Trek and "launch a probe....we have a class M planet, etc, etc" and you're onto it. This tech could easily be used in this way...though I'm unclear how reliable the data is through water.

The image you see is an interpretation using lightwaves (lower frequency) so we can interpret. Now I'm out....I was sales....I had awesome tech consultants for the rest smile.png

Sent from my HTC Desire using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

AWESOME.

Let's hope GeoResonance have nailed it.

Then we can all relax.

coffee1.gif

Edited by P45Mustang

Let us not forget, the search in the Southern Indian Ocean was based on a theory, AKA best guess.

You are quite right. Where else would they look ? The inmarsat work and conclusions must include some 'educated' guesses to reach their conclusions, such as choosing southern arc over northern arc and determining a final point for the arc. Likewise, our knowledge of sound transmission at 4500 meters ( and perhaps deeper) and 2 degrees C, sound ducting and other phenomena is sketchy at best; the pings which were detected could conceivably have travelled a great distance. The search area was based on highest probability, not certainty.

We will never know if the pings might have been heard if the search had been in a different area. The only things that are certain at this point is that MH370 is missing, relatives are still in agony, and the Malaysian government has asked for our prayers for the "238 souls" on board. .

Let us not forget, the search in the Southern Indian Ocean was based on a theory, AKA best guess.

And then they discovered credible pings that matched the frequency and pulse of the recorders.

But which don't necessarily triangulate to within a six mile area, as they've discovered.

No debris. Anywhere.

No evidence of aircraft on the sea floor in the 'ping area'.

A very different scenario from the AirFrance Rio Paris flight.

The story is not adding up for me.

Widening the search area based on the theory of acoustic transference of the pings I find unconvincing.

Does a 777 seat float?

I think South Indian Ocean is a wild goose chase personally.

debris spotted in the Bay of Bengal

An Australian-based company, GeoResonance, has claimed that it has sighted wreckage of the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 in the Bay of Bengal, using satellite images scanned over 772,000 sq miles and 20 different technologies to analyse the data.

The company began its search on 10 March and focused its efforts on the north of the MH370's last known location. The possible wreckage site narrowed down by GeoResonance is about 3,000 miles away from the current location where most of the search operation is concentrated.

The team at GeoResonance analysed the data using nuclear reactor technology designed to find submarines and warheads, according to the company spokesman, David Pope.

Elements of commercial aircraft were detected by the researchers at GeoResonance, which might add credence to their claim.

"We identified chemical elements and materials that make up a Boeing 777... these are aluminium, titanium, copper, steel alloys and other materials," another company spokesman, Pavel Kursa, said in a statement.

To back the findings, GeoResonance scientists analysed images taken on 5 March, three days before the plane went missing, and compared them with later images.

"The wreckage wasn't there prior to the disappearance of MH370," Pope said.

"We're not trying to say it definitely is MH370. However, it is a lead we feel should be followed up."

However, Malaysia's Civil Aviation Director-General Azharuddin Abdul Rahman told the Star Newspaper that the department was yet to receive the information from GeoResonance.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/malaysia-airlines-flight-mh370-australian-firm-claims-wreckage-104024321.html#tvNSVMT

debris spotted in the Bay of Bengal

An Australian-based company, GeoResonance, has claimed that it has sighted wreckage of the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 in the Bay of Bengal, using satellite images scanned over 772,000 sq miles and 20 different technologies to analyse the data.

The company began its search on 10 March and focused its efforts on the north of the MH370's last known location. The possible wreckage site narrowed down by GeoResonance is about 3,000 miles away from the current location where most of the search operation is concentrated.

The team at GeoResonance analysed the data using nuclear reactor technology designed to find submarines and warheads, according to the company spokesman, David Pope.

Elements of commercial aircraft were detected by the researchers at GeoResonance, which might add credence to their claim.

"We identified chemical elements and materials that make up a Boeing 777... these are aluminium, titanium, copper, steel alloys and other materials," another company spokesman, Pavel Kursa, said in a statement.

To back the findings, GeoResonance scientists analysed images taken on 5 March, three days before the plane went missing, and compared them with later images.

"The wreckage wasn't there prior to the disappearance of MH370," Pope said.

"We're not trying to say it definitely is MH370. However, it is a lead we feel should be followed up."

However, Malaysia's Civil Aviation Director-General Azharuddin Abdul Rahman told the Star Newspaper that the department was yet to receive the information from GeoResonance.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/malaysia-airlines-flight-mh370-australian-firm-claims-wreckage-104024321.html#tvNSVMT

You ever bother to read other posts in this thread, like posts only made a few hours ago ?

No debris. Anywhere.

Widening the search area based on the theory of acoustic transference of the pings I find unconvincing.

Does a 777 seat float?

Yes they had no pings from AF447 and they actually passed over it on one of the early sweeps and didn't spot it.

Patience dear boy.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

No debris. Anywhere.

Does a 777 seat float?

Yes they had no pings from AF447 and they actually passed over it on one of the early sweeps and didn't spot it.

Patience dear boy.

But they found debris before the boxes?

Yes and it still took them 20 months to find it. It was <10 miles from the debris I think. No one said this was an easy or quick job. Just because they have not found it yet does not mean they are not looking in the right area.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I'm still befuddled as to why the US, European allies and Canada aren't more involved in this search.

The US didn't need an invitation. It had 4 citizens on board.

The US has a history of jumping in when there's trouble such as in Haiti and the tsunami in Indonesia. Right after the tsunami, the US parked either one or two Nimitz-class aircraft carriers offshore. Those carriers are staffed by more than 5,000 troops, some of whom went ashore to help. Each carrier could put out a line and pump 50,000 gallons of clean drinking water to shore every day, converted from seawater. The ships had a lot of surplus food, full hospitals, lots of medical supplies and helicopters to shuttle goods and people.

They sent a hospital ship.

Now they are almost silent. They aren't pouring assets into the search. Neither are the closest allies.

Someone please tell me why?

Is that plane in a hanger in one of the 'stans or Somalia or elsewhere with it and its passengers being held for ransom with negotiations going on?

Even if the pilot was on a suicide mission to crash it into Diego Garcia and the US shot it down, they would admit it.

Where are the big players who had passengers on board, and why are they silent?

Where is any debris at all, and why not? The seat cushions are closed-cell foam and even of torn would float forever.

If, as I believe, the pilot ditched the aircraft while he still had control there would likely be no rupture of the fuselage and therefore all of the cushions and everything else inside would remain inside as the airplane sunk intact. You still have flight controls even after the engines quit. There were quite a few ocean ditchings where the aircraft remained afloat for many hours.

But if it ditched and remained afloat and structural intact, then one might hope to have survivors who would open the doors and use the slides (which float) as lifeboats. At least some should make it out, and those life-rafts do have lights and presumably some kind of emergency beacon transmitter.

It's a puzzle - I am not saying you are wrong either....

As I understand it correctly the sequence of events was.

1. Inmarsat predicted possible location was S Indian Ocean.

2. Chinese and Aussies went there listening for pings.

3. Chinese and Aussies heard pings. But different pings.

Question: Why bother to place rogue pings in the area under investigation?

I do find the idea of false black boxes in the Ocean a bit tricky though.

An attempt at false closure?

An attempt to divert attention from searching elsewhere?

My wild idea is that the Chinese shot it down in Chinese Turkestan and have been trying to make sure they don't get the blame. In detail, the plane flew over ill-protected Burma and joined the 'silk road', an air route badly served by primary radar. That almost explains the ULBs - except that their charge shouldn't start depleting until immersed in water.

It seems suspicious that the ULBs didn't last anywhere nearer to the expected 40 days, but much closer to the specified 30 days. Perhaps fake ULBs were used with lifetimes matched to the specified life rather than the expected life. The touted explanation for their short lives is that the ULBs were almost at the end of their rated lives.

But if it ditched and remained afloat and structural intact, then one might hope to have survivors who would open the doors and use the slides (which float) as lifeboats. At least some should make it out, and those life-rafts do have lights and presumably some kind of emergency beacon transmitter.

It's widely thought that everyone in the passenger cabin was dead (either deliberately or by accident) before the aircraft hit the water.

Initial GeoResonance spot was reported as being 500kms from where the Aussies are looking.

This report says Bay of Bengal, 3000 miles from the current search area.

facepalm.giffacepalm.gif

All the articles I saw had a map showing a spot way into the Bay of Bengal. Seems too conveniently along the flight line as if it continued from the turn in the Malacca straight. But if so, would call the hours of inmarsat pings into question. That would have only taken maybe 4 hours to get where these guys claim. Unless it was doing circles for 4 hours or took a big detour then came back.

Also since there were ships looking for debris right afterwards in the Bay of Bengal, why no debris? Certainly way more ship traffic in general in that area.

I wish the inmarsat arcs were all released. Every hourly ping distance from the satellite. While the doppler calculations to determine south versus north were a bit obscure, straight up distance due to signal return time is a straight forward calculation.