In-Store Options for Boosting Wifi Signal?

VisaEd

My apartment is small but the walls must be thick because I don't get much of a signal around the place.

What are my options for helping the WiFi signal to travel further?

Do the network extenders that plugin into the electric wall outlets work in Thailand on the Thai cabling?

Are there any modems/routers available that provide an extra strong signal?

Or should I look for a WiFi extender that can boost the range?

Ideally I'd like the range to increase all over the apartment and be suitable for all devices - laptop, tablets, phones - but if not, then a cabled solution might be better? I'd rather not get a longer antennae for the laptop as it won't help with phones etc.

Any idea on prices would be good too.

Thanks.

Depending in she signal you might be able to just get a wifi router and set it up as a repeater. I have used the wall sockets through electricity but, at least in my apartment, was not the best choice. There are routers with a better signal strength like Linksys or Belkin but they will not be of much use if the walls are blocking the system. You might want to try out a 5GHz wifi router. They might work better in your apartment. The signal is usually a bit stronger but has not such a long range. I am sure that you will receive more competent answers in a while from others.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I presume you are talking about the internet access provided by the management of your apartment building. If that is the case then the answer depends on how you access the WiFi. whether you connect directly to a WiFi access point or whether you need to connect and then authenticate via a webpage (like a hotel or other paid WiFi).

Assuming it is the former, then cabling is always the best solution so if there is already a LAN outlet in your apartment or it is easy to run a cable then simply connecting a wireless router or an Air Point would be the best.

If that isn't practical then a wireless extender or repeater will likely also solve the problem of weak signal. Almost any sub THB1000 wireless router will be capable of doing that. It will simply make a wireless connection to the closest shared apartment WiFi access point and then rebroadcast that signal inside your apartment. It works because a WiFi router is generally more powerful, therefore capable of making a more robust connection than an individual device and also you can locate it within your apartment where the signal reception is the strongest.

• Like 1

I'm using an antenna, which is connected via a 5 meter USB cable and get high speed. The Tenda 159 Mbps Wireless N High Gain USB Adaptor works well.

Was only around 300 baht. Tried a longer USB cable, but five meters seems to be the limit. Cheers-whistling.gif

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, I connect to the ISP through the phone line, using a WiFi modem.

If I'm in another room then I find it hard to get a solid signal.

Maybe an longer antennae I could plugin to the modem would be a good idea? It can only take one and its pretty short.

Thanks