Thailand's Corruption Perception Index (CPI) worsens

webfact

Yet another great accolade for the PTP to be proud of.

Good observation of the losses due to corruption decreasing 32% from the 52% she inherited from the previous gov in 2011 to 20% in 2013.

Being an articulate and literate adult, surely that is what you meant.

Edited by unanimosity

The problem is that most people in Thailand are okay with accepting easy-peasy-money-luxury-freebies without the slightest intetntion or willingness to work a sweat.

As long as this mentality exists, not much will change or the sake of saving and pertaining face.

Surely the above statement does not make sense, Corruption in last 2 years

has gotten worse, BUT attempts to reduce corruption have improved,its can

only be one or the other,not both.

regards worgeordie

I think someone tried to edit the report to make Yl's govt look better but muffed the job. Maybe the person doing this editing job wasn't bribed enough.

If 75% of the polled people believe that corruption is widely practiced in Thailand, then this tells me that 25% either do not have a clue, did not understand the question, or are the ones getting the bribes and do not want attention brought to bare on the issue.

This is like saying 75% of the polled people eat rice regularly and 25% of the Thais are yet to try this particular food.

Good POLL.tongue.png

25% ripping off the other 75% That would be about right. At least 25% of the population must be in some government or public service-related employment, and they won't all be bent. So, I agree. Good poll.

How the hell does the Corruption Perception Index translate into thai?

Perception index.

How do you perceive thailands corruption?

Bad, good, none?

That is an absolute measure not a perception.

It's what people THINK about the level of corruption, not the actual level of corruption.

So its a bit of a quaint way of asking if there is more corruption without asking if there is more corruption for directly....

How the hell does the Corruption Perception Index translate into thai?

Perception index.

How do you perceive thailands corruption?

Bad, good, none?

That is an absolute measure not a perception.

It's what people THINK about the level of corruption, not the actual level of corruption.

So its a bit of a quaint way of asking if there is more corruption without asking if there is more corruption for directly....

As Transparency International put it, the CPI is a score on how corrupt a country's public sector is SEEN to be.

To complete the OP ...

However, related studies conducted in 2013 found that losses due to corruption dropped significantly that year from 52 per cent in 2011 to 20 per cent. (MCOT online news)

The question that pops into my mind is why.

The only answer I can come up with is they have already bled the coffers dry and are doing less this year even though there are more hands out.

I wonder if they were referring to the local police level of 200 baht in my pocket and you need not make a trip to the station to pay 400 baht level of corruption?

I am in the minority I think but I do feel things are getting a little bit more honest at that level. Notice I said a little bit.

Typical anti-Shinawatra biased half-truths. Look at the data back to 2001 and you will see that Thailand has slipped every year in the rankings except when the army were in control. It slipped under Thaksin, under Abhisit and under Yingluck. The data were published in graph form in the Bangkok Post within the last two months or so....but then too many people don't understand graphs.

Industries with the highest tendency of corruption is telecommunication, energy, public utility and agriculture...bars...tuk tuks...jet skis...food vendors...auto dealerships...banking...tourism...parks and recreation...air lines...bus...taxis...the list is infinite...no area of Thai culture is untouched by corruption...