Medication

philcon

Hi i am coming to Cambodia (Siem reap) in May 2014 and will staying for three months

probably also visiting Phnom Phen

i was wondering if i could buy blood pressure tablets in Siem reap

in Australia these can only be given by your doctor. i did not want to bring

three months supply.

I would really appreciate any comments many thanks Phil

Imported meds are cheaper in Camb than in Thailand. BUT need to be careful re fakes and also quality, some of the pharmacies do not store meds properly. Stick to larger pharmacies which have a/c. Afraid I can't recommend any specific ones in Siem Reap, though I could in Phnom Penh.

BTW the high price in Thailand was because you bought the imported brand name. There are several locally made generic equivalents in Thailand which are inexpensive. Whether in Thailand or Cambodia, do not ask for tritace, ask for ramipril (the generic name). Not only will that get you less expensive brands but in Cambodia less risk of a fake -- the fakes tend to be the flashy imported name brands, no one bothers to counterfei inexpensive generic equivalents.

• Like 2

Imported meds are cheaper in Camb than in Thailand. BUT need to be careful re fakes and also quality, some of the pharmacies do not store meds properly. Stick to larger pharmacies which have a/c. Afraid I can't recommend any specific ones in Siem Reap, though I could in Phnom Penh.

BTW the high price in Thailand was because you bought the imported brand name. There are several locally made generic equivalents in Thailand which are inexpensive. Whether in Thailand or Cambodia, do not ask for tritace, ask for ramipril (the generic name). Not only will that get you less expensive brands but in Cambodia less risk of a fake -- the fakes tend to be the flashy imported name brands, no one bothers to counterfei inexpensive generic equivalents.

I'm sure you know this Sheryl but other than Ucare, I don't know of many pharmacies with a/c. None on 136 have a/c, other than Ucare at Norodom and one on 51 north of 154 whose name escapes me. Otherwise, good point on the generics.

Pharmacie Le Gare, Naga pharmacy, Sovanpich Pharmacy (next to Lucky) and Peng- something- or- other on Sihanouk west of Monivong all have a/c. As do several of the larger ones around Olympic market.

And at least the first 3 actually are staffed by real pharmacists (though in Le Gare it is just the middle aged man, rest of staff not).

• Like 1

Angkor Thom Pharmacy on Srivuttah (the main street) in Siem Reap, though quite small, is well-stocked, professional, honest and reasonably-priced. Run by a local dermatologist and his wife. In the unlikely event that they don't have what you require in stock, they can order it quickly. There are 3 branches of U-Care too, but Angkor Thom will be substantially cheaper and just as reliable.

Edited by Rumpole