Manual or Automatic Trans for new 2.5 lt. Diesel Truck?

Thailaw

Now in the market for a new truck. I already have a 1 year old larger 4dr sedan with automatic trans; no plan to sell that. I expected to get a manual truck, just because trucks (and sports cars) "always" have manual transmissions. But the dealer recommended an automatic transmission and, as I have done some research, the market seems to be split evenly on the desirability of manual vs automatic transmissions in a diesel pickup truck. In fact, in the US, two manufacturers (I think Ford and Chevy) no longer offer trucks with manual transmissions, and those that do reduce the power and torque to protect the manual transmission from damage. The additional cost of the auto over the manual trans is not a significant issue, but better resale value would be a consideration if one was preferred in Thailand. Most of the used trucks that I see advertised for sale are manual. So, I am now, like the market, split on which to buy in my new truck. Has anyone considered this issue recently in connection with a new truck purchase? How did you come out and are you happy with your choice? Any regrets? Thanks,

I drive mine mostly in the city unfortunately (lots of stop and start traffic) so AT is more easy to manage it IMO. Upcountry I imagine a manual would be quite ok.

That is indeed the issue, and the only reason I would consider an automatic trans in a truck. My Corvette in the US has a manual trans and I would never consider an automatic Vette, even if I lived in NYC. We live outside Pattaya on the Darkside, so the truck will be in traffic when it goes into the city or up or down Sukumvit Road. Trips to visit the family should be painless highway driving. It is hard for me to imagine a truck with an automatic trans, but I am trying hard. If it was only for me, the manual would be a given, but as a "family car" the auto trans has merits.

Given the torque of a diesel I see no disadvantage to having an auto. Except the lack of engine breaking on overrun. Lots of "big rigs" in Europe are auto, well Ok they are electronically managed manual transmissions but as far as the driver is concerned they are auto.

Stick shift on trucks are abysmal in operation, especially in traffic. Auto trans have come on a long way since the old slush boxes of yester year, the high torque numbers at low rpm are perfect for an auto trans in a truck. The 4 speed in my truck is a proven bullet proof design though I cannot speak for these later 5 and 6 speed trans and reliability, BUT I am sure mega testing has been done. I would never own a manual truck, and yes l have driven other folks manual trucks.

It really depends how you personally drive. I couldn't envisage not being able to drop a gear before corners, inclines, obstacles etc.

In US and Thailand automatic is the norm so you'd probably get a better resale with an auto.

nowadays most 4wd competition people seem to prefer auto trans - but for day-to-day I just love manual.

ANYWAY.....at the end of the day manual IS automatic for me.

Edited by wilcopops
  • Like 2

It really depends how you personally drive. I couldn't envisage not being able to drop a gear before corners, inclines, obstacles etc.

In US and Thailand automatic is the norm so you'd probably get a better resale with an auto.

nowadays most 4wd competition people seem to prefer auto trans - but for day-to-day I just love manual.

Very easy to down shift a modern auto for braking purposes. smile.png

How do you double de-clutch then?

How do you double de-clutch then?

Blimey, I remember those days too. bah.gif

Thailaw, If you live in a traffic hellhole (BKK, Pattaya etc), have a crook left leg or another driver who cannot drive a manual - go for an auto. Otherwise I reckon a manual is better. The Ford, Mitsu and Isuzu manual trans I have driven are fine, (i.e. not abysmal). They are better on fuel and give better feel and control for the driver. For engines with turbo lag like the Triton, the manual allow the turbo lag to be avoided easier. Acceleration is similar but the manual feels better without the torque converter slip and auto trans delay. Manuals are also less expensive to repair.

The current generation of Autos have improved with electronic controls, manual overide and adaptive shift patterns. But they are still not as good as a manual on country roads and hills.

Note that most of Japanese brands use an Aisin Auto transmission and de-rating engine torque to protect the transmission. Some manual versions have higher peak torque but only for a small engine speed range.

• Like 2

Thailaw, If you live in a traffic hellhole (BKK, Pattaya etc), have a crook left leg or another driver who cannot drive a manual - go for an auto. Otherwise I reckon a manual is better. The Ford, Mitsu and Isuzu manual trans I have driven are fine, (i.e. not abysmal). They are better on fuel and give better feel and control for the driver. For engines with turbo lag like the Triton, the manual allow the turbo lag to be avoided easier. Acceleration is similar but the manual feels better without the torque converter slip and auto trans delay. Manuals are also less expensive to repair.

The current generation of Autos have improved with electronic controls, manual overide and adaptive shift patterns. But they are still not as good as a manual on country roads and hills.

Note that most of Japanese brands use an Aisin Auto transmission and de-rating engine torque to protect the transmission. Some manual versions have higher peak torque but only for a small engine speed range.

I tend to disagree a bit. My ride is chipped and trans cooling remains constant, well according to warning light smile.png . An auto doubles the torque at low rpm so can gooooooooo. Torque converter slip is really a non event on modern autos. Heat is an auto killer, if that is contained then the box will go on for ever (electric stuff permitting). Manual require a new clutch assembly for sure.

It's not just braking though is it - it's matching the RPM to what you want and acceleration too.

If the transmission will up the revs to match the gear down then that is half the battle, however I like to be able to choose by ear what precisely happens when I gear down........kick down is OK but so far, it's hard to beat a manual for precise drying........some Paddles seem Ok but i don'y like the automatic transmissions that LOOK like they are paddles.

When i compare my car in and out of a bend compared to an automatic, you can see the physics is all wrong as they rely on brakes to get round.

Edited by wilcopops
  • Like 2

I've got a manual diesel pickup and it only gets used for trips out of BKK.

Still, it will be my last manual here in Thailand. Even out of town, the construction traffic gets miserable for hours at a time.

Those of you who enjoy the thrill of a great handling manual around the windy, twisty roads in Thailand can have it. I conceded that pleasure when I went with a pickup. And in return, I can haul all my toys to the places I want to see, hike, fish, boat, kayak, kite surf, and...and....

Edited by impulse

I have had both in my trucks in Thailand, but would never again consider manual. The auto is so much more comfortable.

So much more comfortable, but so much more boring......

it's not a ferrari mate, it's turbo diesel lol

• Like 2

I have had both in my trucks in Thailand, but would never again consider manual. The auto is so much more comfortable.

My Pontiac had a 3 speed auto, yeh manual shift, but was never boring. smile.png

Who wants a clutch pedal ?

Jitar, thanks. You and I think in a very similar way (at least about trucks).

My view is that cars/trucks in Thailand are just plain boring. A truck with a manual trans is not a sports car, but it does, at least to me, have a "fun" element to it, and more to do when driving that just sitting there and watching the road and steering. The other side (there are always at least 2 sides) is that continual shifting may become tedious in bumper-to-bumper traffic that is becoming more and more frequent in and around Pattaya. I would not call Pattaya a "traffic hell hole", but it is certainly approaching one on the weekends and it is one on holiday weekends. I do not see that as a problem for me, but I will not be the only driver, and I would not like to be saddled with (or hear complaints about) a mistake made for the next 3+ years. The posts thus far seem to be about as split (and with the same justifications for the posters' positions) as the views on the subject in the market more generally. I am still leaning towards the manual trans, but not as stongly as before. I have narrowed the choices down to the Toyota Vigo and the Mitsubishi Triton, both 4 door/turbo models. I generally like the Vigo better, both as to appearance and build, but the Mitsu seems to be a lot more truck for the money -- unlike Toyota, Mitsu will negotiate very aggressively to get your business (and it helps having 3 Mitsubishi dealers within 10 km of each other).

Touché. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear (or a Vette out of a turbo diesel pick-up), as much as I wish you could. But I still think that a manual trans "fits" with a pick-up truck, but maybe I'm stuck in a time warp and need to move forward a few decades. Cheers,

Touché. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear (or a Vette out of a turbo diesel pick-up), as much as I wish you could. But I still think that a manual trans "fits" with a pick-up truck, but maybe I'm stuck in a time warp and need to move forward a few decades. Cheers,

My auto truck can wheel spin at the stop light drags. thumbsup.gif ............smile.png

Thailaw, I reckon the Toyota engine is better suited to the auto than the Mitsu. The Toyota pulls like a tractor from idle - good for the auto.

The Mitsu revs better and has a bit more power but the turbo lag is a bugger with the auto. The Mitsu is better value and the manual has 400Nm instead of 350 for the Auto. The Mitsu Auto also has an interlock to kick it out of gear if brake and throttle applied at the same. Very inconvenient if you want a quick start)

I have a 2001 Mitsubishi Strada manual & a 2012 Ford Ranger 6 speed auto. Both great to drive. I was reluctant to buy the auto, but no regrets. Great response. Drive a lot of mountain roads in both. Can't fault either. I test drove the Mazda BT-50 manual which I guess is the same as the Ranger. Hated it. The 2001 Strada gear shift feels like a car. The Mazda felt like a lorry.

I have a 2001 Mitsubishi Strada manual & a 2012 Ford Ranger 6 speed auto. Both great to drive. I was reluctant to buy the auto, but no regrets. Great response. Drive a lot of mountain roads in both. Can't fault either. I test drove the Mazda BT-50 manual which I guess is the same as the Ranger. Hated it. The 2001 Strada gear shift feels like a car. The Mazda felt like a lorry.

In your Ranger,do you use the 'manual' option while driving in the hills? I find it very useful,specially on the descents...

Driving in Thailand is never boring
  • Like 1

Driving in Thailand is never boring

+1. I'm finding that dodging other drivers has to be my first priority, and I'd really rather let the truck decide what gear it should be in while I'm focusing 100% on not getting hit.

And in those epic traffic jams, where leaving 10' between me and the car in front of me guarantees someone will try to horn in, it would be nice to get off the clutch.

• Like 1

real men drive manual.. heheh

Said the guy typing on a keyboard and not scratching a message into a rock, like a real man would. Times change. Today's auto transmissions aren't your grandfather's auto transmissions.

• Like 2