Dating a younger Thai girl - or why I love Thailand.

Tmymaimee

I love you title- why i love Thailand. If this is why you love Thailand you are living in a bubble. No doubt one you (and others) enjoy very much and i am sure will try to defend.

But what will you do when the bubble bursts. In you own words, you talk of her being a woman of a certain caliber (this is pretty much just based on age isn't it?). I am sure that the caliber isn't so much based on looks because anyone who has been here for a while knows there ain't much difference in looks between a Thai 25-35 year-old woman. It is barely noticeable unless she has worked in the fields or pursued a highly stressful career. Forgive me for not believing the only reason you "dropped to a lower age group" is because you didn't want the emotional baggage of the older woman. Good excuse, though, i admit, but who are you trying to fool? Yourself? It's more likely that the fear of her late 30's and early 40's was creeping in and with the knowledge that, in Thailand, you can do way younger, you thought why not, right?

But when the bubble bursts and she is 40? Will you be that 57 year-old guy with a 25 year-old or younger? Although you won't try to validate that on here i am sure.

Anyway, fair play to you, but you are only fooling yourself with you reasons and excuses, no one else. And the only people who genuinely agree with you are guys who "love Thailand" for the same reason as you.

It would be nice if we had more people in Thailand for different reasons. One day that will be the case. In the future, young Thai women won't flock towards old men in their millions. You are lucky to be here at this time. You will be the last generation to have this luxury (in Thailand), so you might as well "make hay while the sun is shining". And when it stops in Thailand, there is always Cambodia and Africa.

Ahh you must be an old timer. My grandfather said the same thing to me about his visits here in the 1950's. He said he heard about Thailand from reading logs from sailing ships in the 1600's. (Gramps didn't live way back then he was only reading ships logs on long ocean voyages because he had nothing else to do.)

Did you know Thailand had a reputation for being a sailors place to go way back then? You can read about it in French and Portuguese stories about the Ayutthaya Kingdom. They even wrote laws to govern the temporary relationships between sailors and their Thai rent wives.

Way I figure, men have been coming to Thailand for 500 years for the same lovely ladies. But you think it's going to change eh? If you want to see what my gramps was talking about two generations ago try the Mosquito Bar in Klong Toey. I don't know for sure but it still may be there.

Who knows maybe you are correct and Thailand will change a 500 year tradition of taking care of men from other countries, only time will tell.

There is a big difference. Thailand is not too far away from becoming a highly developed country, which it hasn't been over the past 500 years. It will take a couple more decades for sure, but i will see it since i am only 26.

The only reason they have been doing this for 500 years is for money. When they don't have to, they won't. (Well, maybe one or two still will).

And yes, you are right, i am certain they will continue their tradition of taking care of men from other countries. But it won't be young girls taking care of old men.

Try going to Singapore and see how many 18 year-olds throw themselves at you (zero or close to zero, i would imagine). But in Thailand, Cambodia, Philippines, Indonesia, and Vietnam etc etc, a 60 year-old man has no problem catching as many as he wants. It is all about money.

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a big difference. Thailand is not too far away from becoming a highly developed country, which it hasn't been over the past 500 years. It will take a couple more decades for sure, but i will see it since i am only 26.

The only reason they have been doing this for 500 years is for money. When they don't have to, they won't. (Well, maybe one or two still will).

And yes, you are right, i am certain they will continue their tradition of taking care of men from other countries. But it won't be young girls taking care of old men.

Try going to Singapore and see how many 18 year-olds throw themselves at you (zero or close to zero, i would imagine). But in Thailand, Cambodia, Philippines, Indonesia, and Vietnam etc etc, a 60 year-old man has no problem catching as many as he wants. It is all about money.

Spot on.

But I don't have the same optimism about their development path; the corruption no-rule-of-law impunity issues, very poor education, inefficient agriculture basis for most people, language issues and close-minded false-pride xenophobia in general are all pretty major barriers.

Seems to me the self-foot-shooting is set to continue for some time, as well as a few tough transitions pending.

Don't think we have to worry anytime soon.

• Like 1

A 'highly developed" country, that has invented nothing technologically, medically, humanely, with without stable government, no freedom of press and speech and terrible human rights score.

Sorry which part is highly developed?

I love you title- why i love Thailand. If this is why you love Thailand you are living in a bubble. No doubt one you (and others) enjoy very much and i am sure will try to defend.

But what will you do when the bubble bursts. In you own words, you talk of her being a woman of a certain caliber (this is pretty much just based on age isn't it?). I am sure that the caliber isn't so much based on looks because anyone who has been here for a while knows there ain't much difference in looks between a Thai 25-35 year-old woman. It is barely noticeable unless she has worked in the fields or pursued a highly stressful career. Forgive me for not believing the only reason you "dropped to a lower age group" is because you didn't want the emotional baggage of the older woman. Good excuse, though, i admit, but who are you trying to fool? Yourself? It's more likely that the fear of her late 30's and early 40's was creeping in and with the knowledge that, in Thailand, you can do way younger, you thought why not, right?

But when the bubble bursts and she is 40? Will you be that 57 year-old guy with a 25 year-old or younger? Although you won't try to validate that on here i am sure.

Anyway, fair play to you, but you are only fooling yourself with you reasons and excuses, no one else. And the only people who genuinely agree with you are guys who "love Thailand" for the same reason as you.

It would be nice if we had more people in Thailand for different reasons. One day that will be the case. In the future, young Thai women won't flock towards old men in their millions. You are lucky to be here at this time. You will be the last generation to have this luxury (in Thailand), so you might as well "make hay while the sun is shining". And when it stops in Thailand, there is always Cambodia and Africa.

Ahh you must be an old timer. My grandfather said the same thing to me about his visits here in the 1950's. He said he heard about Thailand from reading logs from sailing ships in the 1600's. (Gramps didn't live way back then he was only reading ships logs on long ocean voyages because he had nothing else to do.)

Did you know Thailand had a reputation for being a sailors place to go way back then? You can read about it in French and Portuguese stories about the Ayutthaya Kingdom. They even wrote laws to govern the temporary relationships between sailors and their Thai rent wives.

Way I figure, men have been coming to Thailand for 500 years for the same lovely ladies. But you think it's going to change eh? If you want to see what my gramps was talking about two generations ago try the Mosquito Bar in Klong Toey. I don't know for sure but it still may be there.

Who knows maybe you are correct and Thailand will change a 500 year tradition of taking care of men from other countries, only time will tell.

Germany has the highest number of prostitutes per capita in Europe. I guess back to the drawing board, eh?

No one ever starved in Thailand it was always a land of plenty. Rice, fruit, vegetables, fish were always here in abundance. No one ever had to work. It was never about money.

Edited by thailiketoo

I didn't quite read every page, but:

In the last few months, girlfriends were averaging from 30 - 35 years old (I'm 42). They all had emotional baggage from past relationships, which they could not drop. I don't want to hear about how someone's ex always cheated or how he still emails, hoping for a freebie on his annual Thai sex holiday.

[...]

Anyways, I now date a gorgeous and sexy 25 year old office worker. Its amazing how you just have to date a slightly younger age group to do away with all the past cheating farang emotional issues and excess baggage that the older girls bring to the table.

So :

1. You move from dating girls in the Farang sexpat / sex tourist scene to an office worker, but you think the difference is due to those 10 years less on the planet?

2. In your last few months girlfriends were averaging 30-35. So this whole topic, and likely your whole experience dating in Thailand is based on relationshsips that lasted a couple weeks/months at most?

Let's clock up a couple years first I'd say. Either way though you sound like you're on the right track. But nothing to do with age. Thai girls start to get a little worried from age 25 onwards anyway, it's when they're expected to have landed someone solid.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Germany has the highest number of prostitutes per capita in Europe. I guess back to the drawing board, eh?

Few of its sex workers are indigenous.

Imagine Singapore after ASEAN's completely eliminated any barriers to labor migration AND legalized the sex industry.

Plenty of Laos/Burmese/Cambodian girls would be cashing in believe me.

No one ever starved in Thailand it was always a land of plenty. Rice, fruit, vegetables, fish were always here in abundance. No one ever had to work. It was never about money.

With the rural poor population exposed via electronic media to the modern cash-driven lifestyle, it certainly is now.

People tryng to survive the old way are having a very hard time of it, given that chemicals have decimated what used to be a diverse ecosystem around the rice paddies, little free protein remains.

And are you trying to claim that only starving people decide to enter the sex industry?

I knew plenty of girls working the biz in Australia that were also working full-time, many of them pretty well-paid registered nurses. They just wanted to be able to pay cash for their houses rather than getting a mortgage. Travel, nice clothes, new cars - wants are the new needs.

Edited by wym
  • Like 1

We are not talking about the prostitution trade (although i bet those German prostitutes are making hundreds of Euro per hour). We are talking about young girls getting into "real" relationships with old guys for financial support. How many men have really young German girlfriends like in developing countries? Maybe 60 years ago when Europe was poor compared to now. When my grandad was young, most relationships involved older men and younger women. And of course most people were living in very poor conditions in the UK back then, but nowadays it is rare to find a relationship between a couple of significantly different ages. Why? Because the young girls in the UK don't go for older guys with financial security like they did when my grandad was young. They go for guys closer to their own age. In my age group, it is completely unheard of for a guy to be even 10 years older than his girlfriend, in fact probably even 5 or 6 years older is rare. I probably only know of a few cases of that.

Edited by Water Buffalo

A 'highly developed" country, that has invented nothing technologically, medically, humanely, with without stable government, no freedom of press and speech and terrible human rights score.

Those things are not directly relevant to the definition of developed. You're making stuff up as you go along.

• Like 1

Like i said, it will take a few decades, but we will see who is on top in the future. The west has plateaued. The East is developing fast. There is innovation here. Ok, the west invented a lot in the past, but innovation has grinded to a halt. They are starting to lag behind.

One day Thais will be going to Europe and America as cheap holiday destinations. w00t.gif

The one thing that has been forgotten in this chest beating between the young guys sneering derisively at older men who have younger girls and the older guys justifying their choice is this: Age is just a number. Once a person reaches the age of maturity the age difference should really not matter An adult is an adult. So if a 25 year old chooses (for whatever reason) to be with a 55 year old is it not, as the Thais love to say, up to her?

And the stereotypes that have been bandied about by a lot of posters are just that: stereotypes. A case in point. I posted earlier that I was having dinner with a 23 year old last night. I had already turned her down on the grounds of age (me making assumption about a number). I expected a nice dinner and that would be it. How wrong I was! She has a law degree, runs every morning, loves hiking, reading and classical music and can talk about many subjects intelligently. Her level of maturity made me forget her age totally and I enjoyed her company immensely. Now I want to see her again and, amazingly, she wants to see me. She earns good money from her business so is independent. So why is she even contemplating dating a guy twice her age? Possibly because we have several interests in common?

The cynics will say she is playing the long game. I don't know and I don't care. I will see where this goes. Who knows, you Bangkok hearthrobs with youth and money may see me one day with her. Free free to snigger at the deluded old fool and his prostitute wife.

Remember: Youth is wasted on the young

I'm not taking a side here because I don't believe it's that straightforward, but you are mixing a lot of issues together here. You're not the only one. We've got about 5 arguments going on but the proponent of argumentA is arguing with the opposition to argumentB and so on.

What is universal however, throughout this thread and indeed in general in any discussion between any two or more westerners in Thailand, is the fact that we are all in some way or other very insecure about what we and our fellow falang are doing in Thailand.

• Like 1

We are not talking about the prostitution trade (although i bet those German prostitutes are making hundreds of Euro per hour). We are talking about young girls getting into "real" relationships with old guys for financial support. How many men have really young German girlfriends like in developing countries? Maybe 60 years ago when Europe was poor compared to now. When my grandad was young, most relationships involved older men and younger women. And of course most people were living in very poor conditions in the UK back then, but nowadays it is rare to find a relationship between a couple of significantly different ages. Why? Because the young girls in the UK don't go for older guys with financial security like they did when my grandad was young. They go for guys closer to their own age. In my age group, it is completely unheard of for a guy to be even 10 years older than his girlfriend, in fact probably even 5 or 6 years older is rare. I probably only know of a few cases of that.

Way back when people worked for food and shelter. Thailand always had plenty of food and shelter. It is not like where you are used to with fuel bills and Christian morals dominating your thinking. Thailand always had good weather and free food. The West never had good weather and free food.

You are evaluating Thailand with Western eyes and morals. Thais never had to work. My mother in law makes beer and her brother makes whiskey and the family grows 90% of what they eat. What more do you really need?

Thai lady wants the approval of her family. Thai women have always sought family approval. Not like the West. UK chick don't care what momma thinks. I watch the TV reality shows.

Everyone knows about Thai women's priorities. Family is number 1. Well think of it like this. One neighbor brings home a 20 year old ripped ginger with tattoos on her Honda wave. While the next door neighbor's daughter drives up in her Mercedes with a grey haired retired banker at the wheel. Whose momma is happy?

• Like 1

Way back when people worked for food and shelter. Thailand always had plenty of food and shelter. It is not like where you are used to with fuel bills and Christian morals dominating your thinking. Thailand always had good weather and free food. The West never had good weather and free food.

You are evaluating Thailand with Western eyes and morals. Thais never had to work. My mother in law makes beer and her brother makes whiskey and the family grows 90% of what they eat. What more do you really need?

Thai lady wants the approval of her family. Thai women have always sought family approval. Not like the West. UK chick don't care what momma thinks. I watch the TV reality shows.

Everyone knows about Thai women's priorities. Family is number 1. Well think of it like this. One neighbor brings home a 20 year old ripped ginger with tattoos on her Honda wave. While the next door neighbor's daughter drives up in her Mercedes with a grey haired retired banker at the wheel. Whose momma is happy?

Paragraphs 1-3 - I am not sure if you have been drinking, but nothing makes sense. I am not sure how else to respond.

Paragraph 3 actually proves my point. Of course momma is happy when her daughter brings home the rich grey haired banker in a Mercedes. M-O-N-E-Y facepalm.gif

I am afraid i can't spell it out any longer and have wasted more time than i am willing to on this thread.

Good day cheesy.gif

Paragraphs 1-3 - I am not sure if you have been drinking, but nothing makes sense. I am not sure how else to respond.

Paragraph 3 actually proves my point. Of course momma is happy when her daughter brings home the rich grey haired banker in a Mercedes. M-O-N-E-Y facepalm.gif

I am afraid i can't spell it out any longer and have wasted more time than i am willing to on this thread.

Good day cheesy.gif

Your point was that things will change like they changed in the West. My point was, no they will not change because this is not the West and never was. Young women in the West have no respect for family now. Thai women will always have respect for family even if the family is rich. The family will always respect money more than age and good looks.

A rich old guy can always get plastic surgery. A poor young guy can't always get rich. What can the poor young guy do for the family? What can the rich old guy do for the family? Those are the questions asked in Thailand.

Thailand has always respected age and wealth and will continue to do so; it is the Thai way. The West has changed to a media driven youth culture and you have bought the line.

Thailiketoo is quite right. I am 70 and my Thai wife is 30. We are great together. We have a condo in bkk and just rebuilt the family house in Korat and fully furnished it. The family think the sun shines from my ar--e.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Paragraph 3 actually proves my point. Of course momma is happy when her daughter brings home the rich grey haired banker in a Mercedes. M-O-N-E-Y facepalm.gif.pagespeed.ce.EuN79TyYk_.gif alt=facepalm.gif width=24 height=18>

Good day cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif alt=cheesy.gif width=32 height=20>

Your point was that things will change like they changed in the West. My point was, no they will not change because this is not the West and never was. Young women in the West have no respect for family now. Thai women will always have respect for family even if the family is rich. The family will always respect money more than age and good looks.

A rich old guy can always get plastic surgery. A poor young guy can't always get rich. What can the poor young guy do for the family? What can the rich old guy do for the family? Those are the questions asked in Thailand.

Thailand has always respected age and wealth and will continue to do so; it is the Thai way. The West has changed to a media driven youth culture and you have bought the line.

You have been saying that Thais respect family most, but how many Thai families will 'turn a blind eye' to whatever their daughters have to do to get them money, even their daughter's happiness and self respect. And in many cases - their personal safety and health- for those turning a blind eye to their daughters working in the "entertainment" industry.

I'm afraid for a lot of families, it isn't so much about the family as it is the cash.

Thailiketoo is quite right. I am 70 and my Thai wife is 30. We are great together. We have a condo in bkk and just rebuilt the family house in Korat and fully furnished it. The family think the sun shines from my ar--e.

Hmm..i am sorry, but would you "be great together" if you didn't have the money to do such things for her and her family?

Here's a little test. Stop spending so much money on her family and then see if they still think the sun shines from your....whistling.gif

Edited by ChrisB87

Young & naive, look at the Real country's history & those of the surrounding countries. Don't generalize what you may see on Wiki, as it's just a compilation, not truth in stone. Just got a bit sane reading, "The only reason they have been doing this for 500 years is for money." 500 really?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

You have been saying that Thais respect family most, but how many Thai families will 'turn a blind eye' to whatever their daughters have to do to get them money, even their daughter's happiness and self respect. And in many cases - their personal safety and health- for those turning a blind eye to their daughters working in the "entertainment" industry.

I'm afraid for a lot of families, it isn't so much about the family as it is the cash.

Hmm..i am sorry, but would you "be great together" if you didn't have the money to do such things for her and her family?

Here's a little test. Stop spending so much money on her family and then see if they still think the sun shines from your....whistling.gif

Only in the West does your comment make any sense. Thailand is not in the West. Thailand is in Asia. Extended families sometimes all live in the same house. Sometimes three generations go out together to dinner. Whenever there is a family emergency the whole family pitches in to help.

Family means something in Thailand. So why would one want to stop giving money to the family if possible?

I gave my mother in the West almost a million dollars to fund her home health care because my father was not smart enough to purchase long term health insurance. Would you have suggested I stop giving my mother money so she could die in the gutter alone? I guess you would eh?

My mother died in my arms she was almost 100 years old. She was my family. She thought the sun rose from my heart. Would you really have wanted me to stop giving her money so she could have died in a paupers ward at the public hospital or worse?

Or is it different because my mother was not Asian? Are Thai mothers worth less? I got married. Is my wife's family not my family? Is it not my family because I got married in Thailand? Is my Thai family worth less than my Western family?

• Like 1

Young & naive, look at the Real country's history & those of the surrounding countries. Don't generalize what you may see on Wiki, as it's just a compilation, not truth in stone. Just got a bit sane reading, "The only reason they have been doing this for 500 years is for money." 500 really?

Yes really.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2007/07/23/lifestyle/lifestyle_30041864.php

When foreigners come from other lands to do their business�men come and ask them whether they desire a woman. The young women and girls also come and present themselves, from whom they may choose the one most agreeable to them, provided they agree what he shall pay for certain months. Once they agree about the money (which does not amount to much for so great a convenience), she comes to his house, and serves him by day as his maidservant and by night as his wedded wife."

• Like 2

Yes really.

When foreigners come from other lands to do their business�men come and ask them whether they desire a woman. The young women and girls also come and present themselves, from whom they may choose the one most agreeable to them, provided they agree what he shall pay for certain months. Once they agree about the money (which does not amount to much for so great a convenience), she comes to his house, and serves him by day as his maidservant and by night as his wedded wife."

500 years or less, Thailand was about huts outside their so-called King. But not without ignorance of possibility, prostitution would of been equal in whatever country was knocking at the door...given, France...England or China. All of which promoted slavery.

10+ pages for the OP to tell us about his latest Bar Girl....really?

The fact that she regularly comes home with her hair matted with spunk is neither here nor there...it's part of the pin selling business I understand....

Edited by HeavyDrinker

Yes really.

500 years or less, Thailand was about huts outside their so-called King. But not without ignorance of possibility, prostitution would of been equal in whatever country was knocking at the door...given, France...England or China. All of which promoted slavery.

Huts eh? Wat Klang Khlong Takhian is an active monastery with Buddhist clergy. There is not much

known about its history or date of foundation. It was situated on the opposite side of the Chao Phraya River from Wat Wang Chai, which was the estate of King Chakkraphat before being crowned in 1548. In addition, an Ayutthaya period brothel was located opposite of Wat Klang Khlong Takhian, across from the canal, closer to St Joseph’s Church.

post-187908-0-50137100-1394693887_thumb.

post-187908-0-37666100-1394694488_thumb.

Only in the West does your comment make any sense. Thailand is not in the West. Thailand is in Asia. Extended families sometimes all live in the same house. Sometimes three generations go out together to dinner. Whenever there is a family emergency the whole family pitches in to help.

Family means something in Thailand. So why would one want to stop giving money to the family if possible?

I gave my mother in the West almost a million dollars to fund her home health care because my father was not smart enough to purchase long term health insurance. Would you have suggested I stop giving my mother money so she could die in the gutter alone? I guess you would eh?

My mother died in my arms she was almost 100 years old. She was my family. She thought the sun rose from my heart. Would you really have wanted me to stop giving her money so she could have died in a paupers ward at the public hospital or worse?

Or is it different because my mother was not Asian? Are Thai mothers worth less? I got married. Is my wife's family not my family? Is it not my family because I got married in Thailand? Is my Thai family worth less than my Western family?

Your mother would still be your mother even if you didn't spend money on her. I was suggesting that cassde should try that for himself and see what happens.

And yes, your wife's family may not be your family if the money runs out. It happens all too often. Just as your wife may not be your wife after the money runs out either. I would urge all guys to try that, even just a little, to see what happens.

Your mother would still be your mother even if you didn't spend money on her. I was suggesting that cassde should try that for himself and see what happens.

And yes, your wife's family may not be your family if the money runs out. It happens all too often. Just as your wife may not be your wife after the money runs out either. I would urge all guys to try that, even just a little, to see what happens.

So you would encourage people to stop giving your mother money when she was dying? Or not give your wife's mother money when she was dying? Just a little till the meds run out and she is in extreme pain eh?

Kid, I know your generation is different. That's why I came to Thailand. My wife's mother is the same as my mother.

No wonder Thai women prefer older men. I'll tell em all. Want a young guy? Read Thai Visa.

Thank you for the suggestion but I won't be following it. I have nobody other than my wife and her family. I am pleased to provide for the extended family when I can. Also when I die my wife will get 50% of my occupational pensions for the rest of her life.

No one's perfect, no country is perfect....we all of us make mistakes.

Everything has positives & negatives & many people like to moan or discuss this.

But quite often what I see on here, judging by the forthright posts, is a complete disatisfaction of, & lack of respect for Thailand.

If it is so bad...why do these people live there?

Can't we all try to behave like the gentlemen many of us profess to be? rolleyes.gif

Yes really.

Huts eh? Wat Klang Khlong Takhian is an active monastery with Buddhist clergy. There is not much

known about its history or date of foundation. It was situated on the opposite side of the Chao Phraya River from Wat Wang Chai, which was the estate of King Chakkraphat before being crowned in 1548. In addition, an Ayutthaya period brothel was located opposite of Wat Klang Khlong Takhian, across from the canal, closer to St Joseph’s Church.

Yes & still huts (or caves) for the general population. Maybe the (slaves) prostitutes had better? Wait that doesn't make sense, why not just go to England & get a white rental...that's right, English woman are horrid, okay, let's go to France.