One rotten apple in the barrel (village)

giddyup

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think about it. When your stomach is in a knot thinking about how the bastards are getting a free ride, who's suffering? They wouldn't care even if they did know you're stewing inside.

Sounds crazy, but say a little prayer for them every day until the knot in your stomach goes away. Took me about 30 days of praying for the ex-wife and I guaranty you that was worse than your situation.

They won't notice, but your life may just get better.

Or you can just keep giving them rent free space in your head- and reach for the antacids.

indeed.

i have found bending over and being anally raped helps me with the knot in my stomach.

Indeed. 2/40th of 25,000 baht per year is $3.25 per month this guy is being cheated, about $0.11 per day.

Not quite the equivalent of being anally raped.

Yes, it sucks. I empathize completely. But it isn't worth getting shot or ostracized over some of the "solutions" being suggested here.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Think about it. When your stomach is in a knot thinking about how the bastards are getting a free ride, who's suffering? They wouldn't care even if they did know you're stewing inside.

Sounds crazy, but say a little prayer for them every day until the knot in your stomach goes away. Took me about 30 days of praying for the ex-wife and I guaranty you that was worse than your situation.

They won't notice, but your life may just get better.

Or you can just keep giving them rent free space in your head- and reach for the antacids.

indeed.

i have found bending over and being anally raped helps me with the knot in my stomach.

Indeed. 2/40th of 25,000 baht per year is $3.25 per month this guy is being cheated, about $0.11 per day.

Not quite the equivalent of being anally raped.

Yes, it sucks. I empathize completely. But it isn't worth getting shot or ostracized over some of the "solutions" being suggested here.

Not sure I understand your mathematics, 25,000 baht a year works out at roughly 2000 baht a month, or $60, which is $2 a day. It's 25,000 baht a year for one of his houses, not the entire village.

Edited by giddyup

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If you are not on the committee then not much you can do. If you are then get the committee to instruct security to ignore their house, instruct sweepers to not sweep the street outside their house, don't remove their rubbish, disconnect the street lights outside their house, no grass cutting, etc. but not much you can do about the pool. Unless you change the access system for the pool and employ someone to enforce it.

As you say they are only not paying because they think everything will happen as normal even if they don't pay. It is up to the committee to show them who is in charge of maintaining the facility for the benefit of all.

Another ploy might be to have the committee send them a letter stating that the committee realises that 25,000 baht is a lot of money and if the family does not have the funds and cannot afford to pay in one payment the committee is prepared to help them by allowing them to pay, say, quarterly.

They have the money. Apparently they own several businesses, all drive late model expensive cars. It's not a money shortage, it's just pig headeness. All residents have the option of paying monthly, quarterly etc.

Well if the payment option is available now there goes my sarcastic letter approach. Oh well just disconnect the street lights etc..

Edited by VocalNeal

How about a remote controlled barrier at the entrance to the village. All those paying maintenance given a remote. Those without given aggravation every day as they try to enter or leave the village.

Funny you should mention that, but we (those who paid) were only issued with our remotes for the new gate yesterday. The problem is that we will still have a security guard there to admit visitors, postman, guys that read the meters etc. So the turkeys who haven't paid will still have access by getting security to open the gate. Not as convenient as the remote perhaps, and they may well get sick of having to wait while he opens the gate manually.

How about a remote controlled barrier at the entrance to the village. All those paying maintenance given a remote. Those without given aggravation every day as they try to enter or leave the village.

Funny you should mention that, but we (those who paid) were only issued with our remotes for the new gate yesterday. The problem is that we will still have a security guard there to admit visitors, postman, guys that read the meters etc. So the turkeys who haven't paid will still have access by getting security to open the gate. Not as convenient as the remote perhaps, and they may well get sick of having to wait while he opens the gate manually.

It's against Thai law to restrict a persons' access to their home.

Doing so, would make you a criminal, as far as I can see moobaan fees are not only unenforcable but a pointless excuse for more corruption and scamming.

Not sure I understand your mathematics, 25,000 baht a year works out at roughly 2000 baht a month, or $60, which is $2 a day. It's 25,000 baht a year for one of his houses, not the entire village.

You're one of the 38 families asked to take up the slack for the 2 families that aren't paying. So multiply 25,000 by the 2 families not paying and divide by the 38 other families sharing in your nuisance- -it comes out to $0.11 USD per day that each of the 38 families is paying to take up the slack.

I'm not excusing it. It sucks.

But for a guy to compare it to being raped is quite a bit outside of the bounds of decency. And for other guys to suggest some vigilante justice is just plain irresponsible.

Best of luck getting it solved.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

You're one of the 38 families asked to take up the slack for the 2 families that aren't paying. So multiply 25,000 by the 2 families not paying and divide by the 38 other families sharing in your nuisance- -it comes out to $0.11 USD per day that each of the 38 families is paying to take up the slack.

I'm not excusing it. It sucks.

But for a guy to compare it to being raped is quite a bit outside of the bounds of decency. And for other guys to suggest some vigilante justice is just plain irresponsible.

Best of luck getting it solved.

OK, I get your point now. It's actually a tad more than $0.11 because he owns two houses, the 25,000 baht is for the biggest house and land, the other house is probably more like 18,000 baht, so together about 43,000 baht. Still less than 20c a day probably.

Previously i lived on a moo bahn with a similar problem but there was a non payment movement amongst the residents because the guy running it decided to treble the monthly costs without any transparency about where the money was going,

In short i was asked by others not to pay as a form of protest, the manager then decided to invest in automatic barriers with a key card, this also did,nt work as the first to arrive would just park his car at the barrier lock it and walk away,

The next form of protest was that 95% of the houses put up a for sale sign as the village was still being developed then prospective buyers would question why 95% of the houses were for sale, they also put a for sale sign on my house although it was rented, as my contract ended i moved out having not paid for over 6 months,

Last time i went for a look see it had turned into whats known as a failed moo bahn.

It's against Thai law to restrict a persons' access to their home.
Doing so, would make you a criminal, as far as I can see moobaan fees are not only unenforcable but a pointless excuse for more corruption and scamming.

Unfortunately, if you want your village maintained to a decent standard, maintenance fees are a necessary evil.

Previously i lived on a moo bahn with a similar problem but there was a non payment movement amongst the residents because the guy running it decided to treble the monthly costs without any transparency about where the money was going,

In short i was asked by others not to pay as a form of protest, the manager then decided to invest in automatic barriers with a key card, this also did,nt work as the first to arrive would just park his car at the barrier lock it and walk away,

The next form of protest was that 95% of the houses put up a for sale sign as the village was still being developed then prospective buyers would question why 95% of the houses were for sale, they also put a for sale sign on my house although it was rented, as my contract ended i moved out having not paid for over 6 months,

Last time i went for a look see it had turned into whats known as a failed moo bahn.

I quite like the freedom of the so called 'failed moobaan'

No fees, no management, and I can knock down that ugly wall at the back of my house with no fear of retribution.

Street lighting, sweeping and security I can live without.

@giddyup

I see nothing wrong with the services local council provide at a small fraction of the cost.

Let's face it, moobaan fees are a way for the developer to squeeze that 'little bit more', out of his victims.

Once the developer is out of my moobaan, I won't be paying any fees either.

My fees are 5,400bht a year. That's too much, 25,000bht/year is ridiculous.

Edited by FiftyTwo
  • Like 1

No fees, no management, and I can knock down that ugly wall at the back of my house with no fear of retribution.

Sorry, but for what I consider a pretty reasonable amount, less than 50 baht a day, I prefer to have all the features you can live without. Not saying security is foolproof, but it is definitely a deterrent, as are street lights. There are no restrictions as to any kind of house modification, other than infringing on another's property or into the road. Nice to have a well-maintained pool as well.

OP , why not visit city hall or/ and land office and ask then what options are available.

Would that not be the easiest and stress free option ?

There is only one legal alternative, hand the moobaan over to the local authority.

Moobaan fees are unconstitutional and unenforceable.

As has been asked and answered countless times on TV.

Foreigners in Thailand trying to own houses on moobaans by proxy is more illegal than Thais refusing to pay the fees.

If I were a Thai facing a foreigner in a moobaan war, I would start out by complaining about his proxy ownership and asking the Thai authorities to be examining his right to reside.

Edited by FiftyTwo

+1 as the security guys were anyway always sleeping or drunk,

One time the manager pulled up outside my house in his S500 benz to inquire why i had,nt paid, i replied...i can pay if you like but i require your signature on the receipt not that of your secretary...he turned and walked away.

• Like 1

OP , why not visit city hall or/ and land office and ask then what options are available.

I'll suggest that to the committee, but you'd think being Thai they might have already tried that route.

There is only one legal alternative, hand the moobaan over to the local authority.

Foreigners in Thailand trying to own houses on moobaans by proxy is more illegal than Thais refusing to pay the fees.
If I were a Thai facing a foreigner in a moobaan war, I would start out by complaining about his proxy ownership and asking the Thai authorities to be examining his right to reside.

OK, I guess I just bend over and say pretty please or pack my bags and go home. It sounds like trying to get one reluctant resident to do the right thing might be inviting some kind of falang holocaust.

I'll suggest that to the committee, but you'd think being Thai they might have already tried that route.

That route is infact quite simple, most of the residents in the moo bahn i mention at some point had just opted to pay for the refuse collection and street lighting directly, circumnavigating the manager,

next they made a deal with a land owner at the back of the moo bahn and pushed a new road through to enter and exit, seems the manager was stuffed with zero income.

• Like 1

Send them a earning to pay or get the water cut off. Presuming you have village water towers. No reaction - then cut them off!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Send them a earning to pay or get the water cut off. Presuming you have village water towers. No reaction - then cut them off!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I have already mentioned that everyone has individual meters with town water supply. No towers.

Take to court for non-payment, Simples !!

No, it's not.

You are absolutely right about that. A condo block is not much different. In my condo all that can be done is turn off the water. You have explained that option is not available. This owner must understand that penalties will accrue and must be paid if the property is ever to be sold.

It his in his interest to keep his account current.

Take to court for non-payment, Simples !!

No, it's not.

You are absolutely right about that. A condo block is not much different. In my condo all that can be done is turn off the water. You have explained that option is not available. This owner must understand that penalties will accrue and must be paid if the property is ever to be sold.

It his in his interest to keep his account current.

Foreigner can own condo, foreigner can't own house in moobaan.

Not the same at all.

Seen the moobaan fees game played out 100 times, management ALWAYS lose.

Edited by FiftyTwo

Sometimes and more than often the most obvious is over looked , especially in Thailandbiggrin.png

Please share where you got your wisdom from? Perhaps some law? or reference? or experience?

OK, I guess I just bend over and say pretty please or pack my bags and go home. It sounds like trying to get one reluctant resident to do the right thing might be inviting some kind of falang holocaust.

Do not panic, some "smart" expats are afraid of their own shadow and make sure to spread their fear mongering around without so much as an inch of evidence or reference.

When cornered they always make some story" someone, a friend of a friend, who has a friend, or my wife who has a sister who has a husband and his brother" and so on

While this people may have connections to police etc, they would look pretty silly and loose face if they have to call on them to save them from paying 25K for maintenance fees