Five killed in two-car crash with elephant in Thailand

webfact

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poor elephant.. One thing that really peeves me off in Thailand is half the drivers don't even know how to drive or handle a car. Anyone can jump in a car and start driving, low level skills and road knowledge + no common sense is a big cause of accidents here. Then you throw in some thai whiskey and there's no hope for anyone.

Then add in to this equation lack of driver training, the Thai-Buddhist belief system and the scene is set for disaster. I read somewhere (probably in TV) that 80% of Thai's believe that are above average drivers. Anyone from a Western nation knows this is the complete inverse of reality. Also add in the belief that accidents are fete, that explains why they stand around looking at injured people and not helping or administering first aid. The thought of getting injured on the roads frightens the hell out of me.

I nearly collided with an elephant in Bangkok. It ran across the road in front of me and but managed to brake. It was a near miss. And before anyone says it, no, it wasn't a trunk road.Sorry for the humans and elephants in this accident. Maybe the first one could have been avoided and certainly the second one could.

once again we see speed taking its toll on irresponsible people but it would be good if the thai morbidity of having to stop to see bodies and injured people stopped as well. It amazes me when there is blood shed that people all want to gather around to look at it, what a pack of sickos. The only ones stopping should be those helping and why didnt the police put out safety warnings/lights so others were aware of the accident so they could slow down/avoid more deaths and damage.

safety warning lights? in your dreams!

police showing their usual professionalism by not taking control and safely organising the scene of the crash.

There's always one ready to get an uninformed dig in at the police, isn't there?

• Like 1

I have observed lately that Thai Visa seems obsessed with death by automobile. Also jumping or falling to one's death . The more bizarre the better. Seems to becoming yellow journalism of the internet. Sensationalism at its best(or worst)

Sad to see Human Beings Lives and Wild Life lives wasted, because of SPEED. It is my understanding in Thailand, Elephants and Cattle have the Right-of-way.

I hope Alcohol was not involed. Speed Kills, Speed and Alcohol make it worse. God Bless !!

Jerry

Not sure about elephants having right of way but with an animal that big which has no knowledge of road safety, it would be sensible to watch out for them. Cattle, on the other hand, are the responsibility of their owner. If you were to hit a cow on the road, you're supposed to wait for the owner to show up then he/she must pay for any damage to your vehicle.

It seems so sad that an innocent creature should suffer because of our lack of consideration.

But I am also saddened by the loss of human life. May they all rest in peace.

It says that the 'female' elephant was badly injured with broken legs but the article goes on to say that a 'male' elephant was taken somewhere for treatment. Was this a typo or was the male one of the calves? If it was then was the female destroyed or did it die? If there is any further information on this I'd be interested to have the questions filled. I'd very much like for the family to have been kept together and cared for not separated and manipulated / sold for labour or even worse yet tourism / street begging.

Of course my condolences to the friends and families of the deceased.

Edited by TallPalm

When I am in Scotland in the evening and morning we get a lot of feeding deer crossing the roads at dusk and dawn and if one jumps directly in front of the car we just stop [ hit the brakes ] even my Thai wife when driving in Scotland is very aware of her surroundings and drives accordingly have had a few near misses over the years, cant understand with all the deaths on the roads that Thais dont drive accordingly to conditions a little bit slower as sometimes is required, and as for Thai people wanting to see dead or injured people a few weeks ago a friend of mine was sitting outside a restaurant having dinner in Bangkok and a jumper landed on the road a few meters away from him he said in no time the street was full of Thais taking pictures of the deceased on their phones [ what a wonderful screen saver for some people ]

• Like 1

Sometimes I copy posts from Thai Visa and send them to people outside Thailand. The reactions differ from disbelief to dismay to hilarity that some Thai Visa posters could write some of the stuff that appears here.

You mean you send them your Thai-apologist posts?

The sort of news report that if you told folks back home, they would find it hard to believe you.

That goes for many reports from here.

"The sort of news report that if you told folks back home, they would find it hard to believe you."

Why?

Most people know there are elephants in Thailand. Collisions involving wild animals or domesticated animals happen everywhere, so it would seem that an accident involving elephants and automobiles, while sad and disturbing, would be quite believable. One of the reasons elephants have been banned from the streets of some of the larger cities is because of road accidents that happened all too frequently.

People are forever hitting cattle, deer, hippo, sheep ... whatever. The type of animal and the sort of idiot behind the wheel may vary from one place to another, but the result is essentially the same.

That goes for many reports from here.

Well, I will agree with that. Sometimes I copy posts from Thai Visa and send them to people outside Thailand. The reactions differ from disbelief to dismay to hilarity that some Thai Visa posters could write some of the stuff that appears here.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

How sad.

Have you nothing better to do old chap?

i think he should be commended for taking the time to voice an opinion in words rather than relying on asinine emoticons.

but hey, you did use three, so A+ for effort.

I nearly rode into a elephant on my bicycle once. It was on a small soi in Chiang Mai being taken around begging with its owner around 8 pm at night. A grey elephant on gray road in the darkness is basically invisible until your right up to it.

I went around a corner into a darkish soi one night on my motorcycle and there was an elephant with guys selling bananas. I almost disappeared up its arse...............I felt like Leslie Neilson.

police showing their usual professionalism by not taking control and safely organising the scene of the crash.

I know..the cops here are pretty useless....but as an aside...they also don't have the resources such as barrier tape, flashing beacons..spot lights and any of the other equipment needed for an emergency road accident....

They're pretty much left to the own devices to control an emergency in the short term.....sad as it is!

Hitting wild life is very common in Australia. Kangaroos,wombats. wallabies, cattle and horses.Plus birdstrike.Mostly it occurs in the bush and some of these drivers have been driving cars since they were 6 (not on the roads but on properties). The secondary collision is a concern.This was not one animal the original driver was trying to avoid. It was an accident.No need to bash the Thais over it.

• Like 1

It could only happen here!

Many countries have similar problems. Where I come from certain areas are dangerous because of Deer and Elk (Western Europe) crossing the roads. Australia have similar problems with the Kangaroos.

My condolences to the families.

I bet this guy goes home and pays his Thai wife to let him take her out to dinner so he can bully someone in person who doesn't punchoose him in the face for his totally inappropriate insults toward someone who is thoughtfull, considerate and politely religious. What an animal you are, sir.

Sad to see Human Beings Lives and Wild Life lives wasted, because of SPEED. It is my understanding in Thailand, Elephants and Cattle have the Right-of-way.

I hope Alcohol was not involed. Speed Kills, Speed and Alcohol make it worse. God Bless !!

Jerry

Please keep in mind that this comes from Thai PBS which is a good Thai TV channel, but their English articles leave something to be desired.

When they say speeding it could also mean driving at speed. Once you get out of Ban Bueng the road is straight and fairly well paved. Normal speeds on this road is 100-120km.

However, it has shrubbery and trees right up until the edge of the road. If it is dark (5.20AM remember) and an elephant suddenly comes out of the bush you have no time to brake if it is 50 meter in front of you. Forget it.

Many years ago we hit a moose in Norway driving 100. Same. BANG!

You are quick to judge churchman. What does your "good book" say about such? Something about casting the first stone? Hmm?

''thoughtfull, considerate and politely religious. What an animal you are, sir.''

Based on your 'unpolite' response, you might be consideted more of an animal than the poster that you are criticizing...

One must always appear better than the one being criticized....at the least..

It would have been a lot less tragic if a car plowed into a group of politicians crossing the road.

Of course only the politicians died while the car passengers looked on in amazement at all the crap splattered on the floor.

RIP to all those killed and hope the elephant recovers.

Edited by smileydude
  • Like 2

Bad day for all involved! Humans and pachyderms. So sorry to hear, could happen to anyone in the dark.

.....not to a skilled alert driver!!!!!!!!!!!!

Talk is cheep. I drove professionally and had many close calls with animals at night, Moose, elk, deer bears jumping out of ditches, running across the road etc. Maybe skill oftern saved me but sometimes I know it was pure luck.

I nearly rode into a elephant on my bicycle once. It was on a small soi in Chiang Mai being taken around begging with its owner around 8 pm at night. A grey elephant on gray road in the darkness is basically invisible until your right up to it.

Surely your bicycle light gave ample coverage of the elephant so you avoided a collision. YES?

Or do you chose to ride at night the Thai way in darkness?

Edited by watcharacters

Poor elephant.. One thing that really peeves me off in Thailand is half the drivers don't even know how to drive or handle a car. Anyone can jump in a car and start driving, low level skills and road knowledge + no common sense is a big cause of accidents here. Then you throw in some thai whiskey and there's no hope for anyone.

Then add in to this equation lack of driver training, the Thai-Buddhist belief system and the scene is set for disaster. I read somewhere (probably in TV) that 80% of Thai's believe that are above average drivers. Anyone from a Western nation knows this is the complete inverse of reality. Also add in the belief that accidents are fete, that explains why they stand around looking at injured people and not helping or administering first aid. The thought of getting injured on the roads frightens the hell out of me.

If you read it on TV you can rest assured it's accuracy is guaranteed. 100%

There's always one ready to get an uninformed dig in at the police, isn't there?

But are they deserving of the dig?

What do you think?

once again we see speed taking its toll on irresponsible people but it would be good if the thai morbidity of having to stop to see bodies and injured people stopped as well. It amazes me when there is blood shed that people all want to gather around to look at it, what a pack of sickos. The only ones stopping should be those helping and why didnt the police put out safety warnings/lights so others were aware of the accident so they could slow down/avoid more deaths and damage.

O please people slow down for everything along the road, its not just Thailand. Lived the sheltered life it would appear. I do not care where you are at people will slow down and rubber neck for the wreck.