age restriction

kaveh

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Way to teach the kids, eh.

I hope you are not being sarcastic?

I believe that Booze is something that youngsters should be made aware of and learn to respect.

I live in Spain for half the year and the only drunks I see are visitors, mainly from the UK.

The Spanish are generally very we'll behaved with booze.

Traditionally, it is just part of life, they see it from the day they are born at the many Fiestas that happen.

My experience in the UK as a kid was that it was something NOT allowed and I so much wanted to try it.....

With disastrous results I may say.

The "Time Gentlemen Please" culture, causes drinkers to rush it down, often drinking more than is sensible. On the continent, no rush and I recall a pint being downed in 15-20 minutes, whereas in Europe, it can last a an hour or more?

Possibly if you took the time and made the effort to give that kind of explanation the responding poster would not have said what he said..

I believe that Booze is something that youngsters should be made aware of and learn to respect.

I live in Spain for half the year and the only drunks I see are visitors, mainly from the UK.

Traditionally, it is just part of life, they see it from the day they are born at the many Fiestas that happen.

My experience in the UK as a kid was that it was something NOT allowed and I so much wanted to try it.....

The "Time Gentlemen Please" culture, causes drinkers to rush it down, often drinking more than is sensible. On the continent, no rush and I recall a pint being downed in 15-20 minutes, whereas in Europe, it can last a an hour or more?

Alcohol is a legalized drug. Like all drugs it affects different people in different ways. Parents should indeed make their children aware of the realities of alcohol, the pleasures and the very real dangers. Same applies to tobacco products.

Habits vary towards alcohol consumption in different countries. It's very different to see people stop off on the way to work for the morning "fix" of alcohol. That was Spain by the way. Most countries have their problems with boozing and loutish behavior - I doubt it all hinges on people being restricted from bars when they were young teenagers or the particular opening and closing times.

It depends on the place you're take them to. A nice restaurant or pleasant stylish bar or some rough joint full of bar girls and hard drinkers in their wife beaters and cursing all over the place. Having said that, a few visits to the latter may be a good demonstration of the dangers of alcohol!

• Like 1

Really depends on the bar and time.

When we are walking back from the beach at Jomtien me, my wife and our 4 yr old often pop into a bar for a quick cold drink.

In the evening if we go out for food and our son wants to play pool we will pop into the bar for a game.

Really dont see what the major problem is and some peoples responses.

Growing up myself, when i was on holiday with my parents in Europe we would quite often in the evening go to a bar gor the entertainment. No huge problem

4 year old plays pool in bars??

• Like 1

Little mary sunshine reading through your posts itwould appear a nerve has been hit and that you have had some bad experiences in the past. Perhaps a parent was an alcoholic? You seem very bitter

The bitterness you refer to is a result of my observations as I have traveled Country to Country and

have seen the blank stares in childrens eyes when they were a product of abuse and neglect at the

hands of an alcoholic parent. You see these children and know they will never have the opportunity

to have a good education, become a doctor, teacher,lawyer of nurse because some "adult" drags them

off to a bar instead of exposing them to something educational. Some SELFISH DRUNK spends all

the family money on drinking and not food and nice clothing for them. Some DRUNK screams and

scares them when HE or SHE arrives home. Children should be given every opportunity to have a

good life and contribute to society and not have their dreams shattered by these irresponsible

"parents" In my personal life I was blessed with loving, hard working Parents that gave their

children every opportunity to achieve their goals. We didn't have a great deal of wealth, however,

my Parents were loving and taught us values and right from wrong; and made it possible for us to

reach our dreams and goals in life.....I was really lucky.......

• Like 1

Our son is 15, turns 16 in October, but I don't let him drink beer, or any other alcohol in a bar. Why would you like to take your 14 year old son, or daughter to have beer with you?

I think his friends drink from time to time, but not with their parents.

Beside, some might think you're a paedo and wanna get these kids drunk to harm them.

Would you do that in your country of origin? I find your post pretty strange and scary. -w00t.gif

Edited by sirchai

Really depends on the bar and time.

When we are walking back from the beach at Jomtien me, my wife and our 4 yr old often pop into a bar for a quick cold drink.

In the evening if we go out for food and our son wants to play pool we will pop into the bar for a game.

Really dont see what the major problem is and some peoples responses.

Growing up myself, when i was on holiday with my parents in Europe we would quite often in the evening go to a bar gor the entertainment. No huge problem

4 year old plays pool in bars??

Standing on a barstool to make the final shot. And no bar fine for babysitting.

Aren't bars called bars, because of entertainment, then the availability of illegal drugs sometimes, as alcohol is so legal.

I know it is a different culture in Spain, but we are in Thailand aren't we?

Where is this beer bar located? To me that would be a controlling factor.

I would not take a child to a Pattaya Beach Rd beer bar for example, but there are some away from the the 'scene' where I would not have a problem with it.

It isn't the alcohol I would avoid, more the behaviour and habits and colourful language of other patrons.

• Like 1

Wow, a lot of people on this forum would fit right in in the sort of nanny states many countries have become.

When I grew up, alcohol was no big fuss and I did see both my parents drink alcohol. Guess what. I have not become quote:

falling down, abusive drunk that has no respect
for himself or his family and fails to support his children, but always has money for his beer....the
selfish pigs !!!!!

I certainly would not take my daughter to walking street, but one of the beer bars along beach road in the afternoon? Heck, yes!!!

• Like 1

if you have an answer to the following question, You'll probably get the answer to your question too.

"Why do you think that there is an Age Restriction for entering a bar? And why do you think it might be illegal to take a 14 Yr Old kid to some Bar?"

There must be a reason for you to think that and ask this question in a forum right?

Thinking Yet?

Edited by Nepsydaz

In some legal territories the legal age limit is reduced when accompanied by adults.

For another example, in the UK during my youth, if I recall correctly at some stage I could be served alcohol with a meal before I was legally allowed to purchase alcohol on its own.

Ive read a study on this previously, I believe that academically countries are categorised primarily as "prohibition" or "non-prohibition" territories when it comes to cultural attitudes to alcohol. Based on those reacting angrily to the OP I think we can safely assume they are from "prohibition" countries which have histories that involved restrictions on alcohol or religious overtones to consumption. Maybe the word I am looking for is not prohibition, but something similar. Possible "ambivalent" vs. "non-ambivalent" drinking cultures.

Going a bit off topic here but this fascinates me- its also been shown that a cultures attitudes to the effects of alcohol directly effect the behaviour of people from those cultures when they consume alcohol- and often these are wildly different beliefs. The actual physiological effect of alcohol consumption seldom if ever is actually responsible for the behaviour of the individual when they consume alcohol. For example, British people tend to believe that alcohol is a disinhibitor- and that it leads to aggressive behaviour- both of which happen regularly across the country every weekend. But in other countries it can be quite different. Anthropologist Kate Fox wrote a very easily accessible "ethnography" of sorts on the English which has a chapter on this topic:

http://books.google.co.th/books?id=tNZfLeHSFvQC&lpg=PT523&ots=FXP7CAJjOu&dq=watching%20the%20english%20kate%20fox%20cultural%20attitudes%20to%20alcohol&pg=PT523#v=onepage&q=watching%20the%20english%20kate%20fox%20cultural%20attitudes%20to%20alcohol&f=false

Edited by OxfordWill
  • Like 2

Little mary sunshine reading through your posts itwould appear a nerve has been hit and that you have had some bad experiences in the past. Perhaps a parent was an alcoholic? You seem very bitter

The bitterness you refer to is a result of my observations as I have traveled Country to Country and

have seen the blank stares in childrens eyes when they were a product of abuse and neglect at the

hands of an alcoholic parent. You see these children and know they will never have the opportunity

to have a good education, become a doctor, teacher,lawyer of nurse because some "adult" drags them

off to a bar instead of exposing them to something educational. Some SELFISH DRUNK spends all

the family money on drinking and not food and nice clothing for them. Some DRUNK screams and

scares them when HE or SHE arrives home. Children should be given every opportunity to have a

good life and contribute to society and not have their dreams shattered by these irresponsible

"parents" In my personal life I was blessed with loving, hard working Parents that gave their

children every opportunity to achieve their goals. We didn't have a great deal of wealth, however,

my Parents were loving and taught us values and right from wrong; and made it possible for us to

Poppycock generalisation. For at least the last 12 years my niece and nephew have enjoyed their trips to the bars when in Phuket or Samui. Nephew currently volunteering in an orphanage in Cambodia. Niece starts med school in September.

Why would you want to do that?

i travel with my kid sometimes. in Georgia even we had beers to gether, this is called Fun with family of course smile.png.pagespeed.ce.CwSpBGGvqN.png

been in thailand a lot of times but never with kids and want to live the light-nightlife biggrin.png

Why is Little Mary Sunshine getting out of her cot? There are bars, and there are bars. If the man is popping in for a couple of beers and buying the kids a pop, then why not? If you are talking about girly bars, then that is different question.Not all bars are ones where lechers congregate. There are many where the patrons go for good company and conversation. In my experience the bar staff tend to take the kids under their wing.

You must be kidding !!! Any parent that must hold down a bar stool and poop beers all night

for "good conversation" and let the bar staff watch and take their kids under their wing is a jerk

and an abusive parent to say the least....A BAR is a BAR. not an environment be bring a 14y/o

to: You really need to get a life and see what good parenting is all about.

ok please tell us more about "good parenting" in another post/tthread, would you? this is such a ultra-simple question that you people turn it to a whole diffrent issue!!!

i'm the father, not you! i want to drink beer with my kid in a regular beer bar, chatting with girls of course, may be a shot of pool game, and i want this around 10-11pm. that's it!

so PLEASE answer real and relevant

• Like 1

In some legal territories the legal age limit is reduced when accompanied by adults.

For another example, in the UK during my youth, if I recall correctly at some stage I could be served alcohol with a meal before I was legally allowed to purchase alcohol on its own.

Ive read a study on this previously, I believe that academically countries are categorised primarily as "prohibition" or "non-prohibition" territories when it comes to cultural attitudes to alcohol. Based on those reacting angrily to the OP I think we can safely assume they are from "prohibition" countries which have histories that involved restrictions on alcohol or religious overtones to consumption. Maybe the word I am looking for is not prohibition, but something similar. Possible "ambivalent" vs. "non-ambivalent" drinking cultures.

Going a bit off topic here but this fascinates me- its also been shown that a cultures attitudes to the effects of alcohol directly effect the behaviour of people from those cultures when they consume alcohol- and often these are wildly different beliefs. The actual physiological effect of alcohol consumption seldom if ever is actually responsible for the behaviour of the individual when they consume alcohol. For example, British people tend to believe that alcohol is a disinhibitor- and that it leads to aggressive behaviour- both of which happen regularly across the country every weekend. But in other countries it can be quite different. Anthropologist Kate Fox wrote a very easily accessible "ethnography" of sorts on the English which has a chapter on this topic:

http://books.google.co.th/books?id=tNZfLeHSFvQC&lpg=PT523&ots=FXP7CAJjOu&dq=watching%20the%20english%20kate%20fox%20cultural%20attitudes%20to%20alcohol&pg=PT523#v=onepage&q=watching%20the%20english%20kate%20fox%20cultural%20attitudes%20to%20alcohol&f=false

Thanks for the link Oxford Will. Now I know why I drink. I thought it was because I liked it.facepalm.gif

• Like 1

Poppycock generalisation. For at least the last 12 years my niece and nephew have enjoyed their trips to the bars when in Phuket or Samui. Nephew currently volunteering in an orphanage in Cambodia. Niece starts med school in September.

To "Little", you don't seem all that whole...seems more of excuse to look at these children as you describe it. You may believe in protecting them at some point but take a look at your words.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Yes I think he was being sarcastic and what's the problem with that?

You think a girly bar is a good place for kids?

Of course not.

However, nowhere in the OP or in my post was there any suggestion of a girlie bar.

Alcohol is the devils brew if it is abused.

The line between use and abuse is thin.

It is as dangerous as loaded guns.

How to keep your loved ones safe?

You either keep then away from danger or teach them about the danger.

It is not possible to keep them away so teach?

Do you have a sensible alternative?

Why would you want to do that?

I believe Laislica handled that well--in essence a lessen in life for a common occurrence for many lifestyles. However, it may be even simpler than that--you are on vacation and want to have a beer and are with your kids. Wherein lies the problem? If you don't want to do that, then don't.