Resettle to US, how did it or is it going?

Thinking about going back to states but the economy is not good and I understand millions just had unemployment benefits cut.

Florida seems or best shot. We hate the place, but its only for trn years.

I have a solid liberal arts degree and some aged IT experience. Over 50 but healthy and look younger.

Looking for stories and help, not usual tv snark.

Thanks

The US economy is doing OK. Not as good as 10 years ago, but still doing OK. As Impulse said, don't listen to Fox news.

The US (or Australia, Europe, etc) has many advantages over Thailand. Just depends on what you are looking for.

Much easier to get a job in IT there and make good money. Very difficult to do so here.

We've moved here from the US about 4 years ago and in a way really miss what we had back there. We love Thailand, but also enjoyed our time in the US. Again, depends on what you are looking for.

http://www.dcourier.com/main.asp?SectionID=36&SubsectionID=73&ArticleID=129302

• Like 2

Some parts of the US are certainly doing much better than others.

How easy it will be to find work will of course depend upon your profession and qualifications. You should do a thorough online job search before making your decision about when and where. You might even get lucky and find a job.

• Like 1

To be honest , I dont know anything about the IT industry in the US, but from my perspective, unless I were in a medical field, I would not be looking for work in Florida. Nothing but low wage service industry jobs available there.

I maintain two residencies, one in Florida, and one in NY, but I work in New York. If I had my choice, I would never see NY again,I hate it there, but that's where the work is.

I work in the High-rise construction industry,just did my tax return last week, I had my best earning year ever. So the economy is getting a lot better here, 2014 promises to be even better.

In about 5 years I was planning to retire to Thailand full time, but the more I learn about Thailand the more I think I will maintain a residence in Florida for when I retire. I think after a few years in Thailand we will miss the law and order environment in the US, and as I get older and my health deteriorate I also think I will need the medical facilities available for me there.

My Thai wife is also a little ambivalent about moving there full time, don't know how long she will be willing to put up with the BS there, especially after her parents pass away and she does not have that much to keep her in Thailand.

If I was you, I would research my employment options,before I moved here. A little difficult to find work in the US as you get older,

Employers are more willing to hire younger workers , more plugged in in to the latest technologies, with less responsibilities, a longer serviceable work life, and willing to work for little pay and long hours to prove themselves. especially in a fast moving industry such as IT.

What ever you do, best of luck to yousmile.png

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 1

We really do not like Florida, but it is an area that has telatives (support).

I've decided against the move, too many negatives, a few neutrals and fewer positives (only for wife really).

Will revist in 2 to 5 years.

Ultimately, our goal is 8/4. 8 mos living in rv traveling west and sw primarily, other four mos on the beach in the Andaman. Come back to Thailand fully and resettle at 72+. Rent it for a few years, then move over here eventually. Simple life, happy life.

Thanks, sorry to trouble.

Edited by fifthcolumn

If it turns out you do go back ... pick a state based upon good employment figures. Remember age discrimination laws are not enforced in the U.S. I know it an absolute fact - been there. Good job market in Texas -- Houston / Dallas-Fort Worth, but folks over age 50 in the U.S. are often considered secondary citizens in the job market. Unless you have inside contacts getting a job over age 50 is very tough in any field.

The two areas of employment most in demand are medical and IT. IT is booming, as the US virtually owns the internet (meaning most of the big web sites and the trunk lines and the authoritative DNS servers) and every business of any size now has deeply involved IT.

If your skills are aged you could still get a job as "help desk" at $15 - $20 an hour. That job takes calls from clients (employee - users) with problems and goes and troubleshoots their computer. It might involve swapping out the computer and taking it back and repairing it. It would involve joining new employees to the domain and inactivating accounts of former employees. That is simple to learn if you've forgotten.

From there you could work up. You certainly would get good benefits. Your age isn't an issue there because the demand is high. I could walk into any of the Google server farms tomorrow and get a job.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/ Scroll down the left side and look for the green font. Craigslist is advertising for people on their front page. Click the link.

The unemployment rate in the US is under 7% which means that 93% of people who have actively looked for jobs are working.

People love to bash the US, but around me it's humming.

We narrowed down where we want to live and it's:

Boulder CO, coastal OR. I don't think I want to live in TX, even Austin (Austin was consideration), also worried issues rekated to her race and our age/relationship.

Where is good for us to live now as opposed to ten yrs from now are two different places most likely. Ten years from now it's the above, possibly outside Vegas only for direct flts to from BKK and launchpoint for RVing the Western US.

About the only job we can come up for her is doing nails. I can see money and demand in FL.

IT for me, hey anything is possible, but doubtful.

We need to spend as little as possible while getting on our feet and honestly, I don't see us doing much more thsn covering bills but it will give het citizenship, social security and beef up my ss payents as well.

Things will be different after 62. I can draw ss and my 401k.

I think slow and steady wins the race on this one. We do like the ocean (love) but FL, between the rich crazy people and the poor crazy people, the weather and esp lack of work/low wages.

We can have a condo free and a car (to look for another car) free for hot season. It's at least worth doing until wife has her papers.

Friend in similar situation in CA no less has very poor luck with IT jobs.

Edited by fifthcolumn

Where in Florida were you thinking of moving too? If your wife does nails she can do very well in some areas in Florida.

She will need to go to school, and get her licence. School will cost about $2000 and I believe it is about 150 hours.

I know a lot of people in the industry, PM me if you need more info.

PM sent.

It's on and it's Florida. It will work out, it must. We have a place to stay 5-6mos free and use of a car.

If we have free time, there are the Keys, Pennecamp SP, Everglades, dugongs, New Orleans. I'm sure much more and that is just the general vacinity. Buy a small Cat and maybe learn to sail.

Most of all, 40q of work for her, focus on citizenship and making money.

• 5 weeks later...

I work for a bank and we have at least 20 high-paid positions open at any time. The problem is the economy caused a lot of people to become unemployable - bad credit, bad employment history, outdated skillsets. So we struggle to find qualified people who can pass the HR screen.

I suggest you try to update your IT skills. Good luck!