Are Farangs Allowed To Play The Lottery?

Michael W

I do hope that my fellow esteemed members of Thai Visa do not actually believe that the Thai lottery is based upon mere chance. The people who run the National Lottery were once caught red handed rigging the lottery machines in a most crude fashion when a machine malfunctioned on national TV. Subsequent "investigators" at the National Lottery headquarters found a wire running from the machines, under the carpets, and into the adjoining room. Two days after the event, the head of the lottery went back on the TV to declare that the culprits, not named, had been found and that it was now safer than ever to play the lottery. Rumors at the time suggested that the people running the official government lottery were also running some of the largest underground lotteries.

I for one have a very difficult time believing that anything has changed other than the sophistication of the operation.

Actually the whole method of play changed after that incident. Although there are suspicions that attempts are still being made to increase the odds for some numbers it is no longer a simple roulette wheel fix and the likelihood of it being undetected is much less.

I have always insisted that it would be wiser for those involved in such fixing operations to rig some of the middle prize numbers, the drawings that the horizontal spinning wheels are used for. Nobody pays attention to those drawings. All eyes are on the two-digit, three-digit, and the grand prize drawings.

You know there is a better chance of getting struck by lightning then winning the lotto?

Also there is a better chance of getting murdered then winning the loot also?

I learnt that in my responsible gaming course.

When I lived in Min Buri, My then GF won Bt12,500 in the lottery. The seller refused to acknowledge 10,000 of the winnings. After getting lottery officals and the police involved, it turned out she was not turning in the receipts. She was not seen again in town. The GF got her money from BKK officals. What do you think would have been the result if that happened to a farang?

When I lived in Min Buri, My then GF won Bt12,500 in the lottery. The seller refused to acknowledge 10,000 of the winnings. After getting lottery officals and the police involved, it turned out she was not turning in the receipts. She was not seen again in town. The GF got her money from BKK officals. What do you think would have been the result if that happened to a farang?

Now that's something I might take a punt on... :o

You know there is a better chance of getting struck by lightning then winning the lotto?

There is a better chance of getting struck by lightening NINE times than winning the lotto!

There is a better chance of getting struck by lightening NINE times than winning the lotto!

I think those odds go down if you are a golfer. :o

I've won the lottery twice, tragically it was only the last 3 digits, 2 or 3 thousand baht per win. Both times I had no problem cashing it in with a vendor.

If it was the big one though, who knows? Then I'd have to send the wife down, and would she come back? Still it would be nice to even be in that scenario!

Incidentally yesterday the last 2 digits were 99, Rama 9's 60 years on the throne coming up, a coincidence or not?

This is much more the scenario I had in mind: not winning the multi-million baht jackpot, but rather just 10k or 20k or even 50k baht and then you the farang showing up to cash in. Edited by Michael W

Buying the tickets off the street vendors is pointless, just 960 baht returns if your last two numbers come up.

However if you buy the hand written tickets; you receive odds of 64-1.

So if I had put my money on 99 yesterday, lets say 100 baht; I would be collecting 6500 baht today.

That is O.K. for a bit of fun, an 'over-round' book of 35%

Some racecourse bookies operate such a book on large field horse races.

Most TOTE pools operate a similar percentage book as well.

As regards a farang winning 'The big one'; I would have to give the winning ticket to my Mrs, and suggest half each, there is no way I would chance claiming it. With the publicity; a lynch mob might quickly form, but I believe 100% they would pay out; but there would be no option for 'no publicity'.

Buying the tickets off the street vendors is pointless, just 960 baht returns if your last two numbers come up.

So if I had put my money on 99 yesterday, lets say 100 baht; I would be collecting 6500 baht today.

Yes but you don't get the chance for the bigger prizes.

They would have to pay to a farang.

The Thai people wouldn't like it very much though.

There was a Pakastani won the big UK jackpot a few years back. He blew his anonymity as his business was the only corner shop ever to be closed on a Sunday.

I've won the lottery heaps of times. There is a lottery tree near where my mother in law lives.

I know a farang who won 200,000 in the lottery a year ago.

Yes but you don't get the chance for the bigger prizes.

They would have to pay to a farang.

The Thai people wouldn't like it very much though.

There was a Pakastani won the big UK jackpot a few years back. He blew his anonymity as his business was the only corner shop ever to be closed on a Sunday.

I've won the lottery heaps of times. There is a lottery tree near where my mother in law lives.

I know a farang who won 200,000 in the lottery a year ago.

QUOTE:

'Yes but you don't get the chance for the bigger prizes.'

On the hand written tickets there is a six digit number as well (for free) so there is a big jackpot for every hand written ticket you buy. (Look on the back).

Reminds me when they started the California Lottery for the first time in the 80's. The very first jackpot winner was an illegal alien. I think he won something like 10 million dollars.

Once they found that out he was deported, and the lottery comission didn't want to pay out.

Of course in california, public sentiment was that he should be deported, but he should get to keep the money too. He paid his $1 just like anyone else.

Not sure what would happen in thailand, but the (thai) mrs. figures the farang would be able to keep the money with no one holding it against him.

Not sure what would happen in thailand, but the (thai) mrs. figures the farang would be able to keep the money with no one holding it against him.
I wonder if they'd say, if it was a jackpot, that it was illegal income earned without the appropriate (or any) work permit and deport the guy?

So maybe the answer to the OP's question is:

Farangs are allowed to play, but they're not allowed to win. :o

Methinks that could apply to a lot of things in this fair land. :D

That is O.K. for a bit of fun, an 'over-round' book of 35%

Some racecourse bookies operate such a book on large field horse races.

Most TOTE pools operate a similar percentage book as well.

As regards a farang winning 'The big one'; I would have to give the winning ticket to my Mrs, and suggest half each, there is no way I would chance claiming it. With the publicity; a lynch mob might quickly form, but I believe 100% they would pay out; but there would be no option for 'no publicity'.

No, with the lottery ticket you have the chance to win the bigger prizes because there's various combinations, not only the last 2 figures; my local vendor sells me half a ticket, 45 baht, with that it's possible, if unlikely, to win over a million.

So what's coming up on the 16 June? we're not gambling here, merely speculating of course....