EC will speed up probes into Yingluck, Yaowapa cases

webfact

EC will speed up probes into Yingluck, Yaowapa cases
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Election Commission (EC) will speed up its probe into allegations against caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra and key Pheu Thai Party member Yaowapa Wongsawat, a commissioner said Friday.

Six petitions have been filed against Yingluck for allegedly using state funds to campaign for votes in the North and Northeast as well as to provide compensation to the family of a police officer killed in a clash with protesters, EC member Boonsong Noisophon said.

The EC has interrogated four witnesses against Yingluck and will listen to four more testimonies, he said, adding that the commission would try to complete the probe soon.

Yaowapa, who is Yingluck's older sister, was accused of providing free transport to polling booths during a by-election in Chiang Mai, he said.

Four members of the EC were ready to issue a verdict in Yaowapa's case, but the fifth member, Somchai Srisutthiyakorn, needed more time, he said.

Boonsong also said the EC needed more information to back the allegation commissioner Somchai made against some key members of the Pheu Thai Party who appeared on a TV show during the election campaigning period. He said the EC needed to find out if appearing on TV was really against the election law. If party executives violated election laws, then the party would have to be dissolved, he said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-03-15

• Like 1

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about foul play Bubblegum, yingluck could be in some trouble, if proven, but to worry about Yaowapa is just stupid, plenty of nations provide vehicles to bring voters into vote , this is handy for pensioners and others that are unable to use a vehicle , nit picking to the extreme, there should be a political black out on all media 48 hrs before voting, this stops the Bulls!!t from getting too thick and to give everyone's eyes and ears a rest.

I don't know about foul play Bubblegum, yingluck could be in some trouble, if proven, but to worry about Yaowapa is just stupid, plenty of nations provide vehicles to bring voters into vote , this is handy for pensioners and others that are unable to use a vehicle , nit picking to the extreme, there should be a political black out on all media 48 hrs before voting, this stops the Bulls!!t from getting too thick and to give everyone's eyes and ears a rest.

But in Thailand it's forbidden

It all depends on the election laws of a particular Country. Thailand is quite different from some other Western Nations, when it comes to that.

Either way Phua Thai and Yingluck/Thaksin etc., should know what the election laws are here and if they didn't follow them, too bad for them.

Usually the Campaign manager looks after these things, to make sure all laws are being followed. At least back home, where I have worked on many political campaigns.

To break election laws, is just stupid, especially with the heavy consequences, in Thailand. wai2.gif

• Like 1

I agree this is getting down to nit picking.

A waste of money as Yaowapa is not running for reelection.

Defiantly wrong to use an entirely government owned TV for electioneering. The other partiers should have been given equal time. For the same price the PTP paid. Free.

don't see the problem with coming up with a decision on that one.

• Like 1

Ah, so the EC can speed up certain things if they want to.

Good for them, speed is what we need, the quicker we get back to having good people taking care the better.

had YS had her head screwed on firmly and not gone for a win quickly, so to outsmart the people, she fell into her own trap. Now my dear face the music you created before the protest. truth.

And while the EC dicks around with their 'probes' and 'investigations', a country of 67 million people has now been without a full time government for three months thanks to their inability to run an election, which after all is the primary purpose of an election commission.

Thanks to a government hell bent in running a shambles--HENSE the corruption probes, if your clean no one can put the finger on you.

Kill the fat cat before she's eligible to be elected as next prime minister. The EC knows what they are looking at.

Oh dear!! the red conspiracy brigade will be along soon with their 'elected democracy', 'fascist elites' spiel soon!!!

Getting ready to switch topics soon as I find this ranting just so boring.

The TV (not Thai visa) certainly seems to play a prominent part in getting Thaksin party's dissolved (if it happens again). Can you afford me a snigger!!!

Their (the PTP's) motto should be "if you don't understand something then don't get involved" as they seem to fall foul of every rule and law under the sun!!!

If some western countries followed election laws, some people would not be in office. I am talking about the corrupt USA government. A senator is under investigation for corruption, but the DOJ tells the FBI, not to get involved in the investigation. Have to assure that the party members are reelected.

If some western countries followed election laws, some people would not be in office. I am talking about the corrupt USA government. A senator is under investigation for corruption, but the DOJ tells the FBI, not to get involved in the investigation. Have to assure that the party members are reelected.

Are you lost this is Thailand nothing to do with the States or one isolated incident that you like.

Here in Thailand we need reform before an election.

It is the only chance of bringing the nation together. It may not be democratic to some and that does not matter. The end result would be a Democratic government with more concern for their citizens. It is indeed a sad state of affairs when one man brings the country to that point with his abuse of power and free check book to those who have no morals.

If you want to talk about Democracy and the states look in a history book it was an armed rebellion which brought them Democracy.

Oddly enough many of those who say Suthep's way would not be Democratic are already saying the country has no Democracy. Many countries attained Democracy through non Democratic means.

When all is said and done it is the welfare of the people that should be the most important thing.wai.gif

Edit

No I am not advocating the use of violence or the guillotine. Suthep has a masterful plan listen to the plan not what the guy on the bar stool next to you tells you.

Edited by northernjohn

And while the EC dicks around with their 'probes' and 'investigations', a country of 67 million people has now been without a full time government for three months thanks to their inability to run an election, which after all is the primary purpose of an election commission.

Sorry but I think I must correct your statement

a country of 67 million people has now been without a full time government for three years thanks to their inability to run a government for the people

• Like 2

What is an election going to solve. Elections are not meant to cause wider splits in the population. They are meant to put people into power who are capable of running a country.

Unfortunately there are a lot of bone heads who think an election will solve every thing. Look at the direct result of the last one and tell me another one with out reform will fix it.

wai.gif

What on earth gave you the notion that competence is a prerequisite for getting elected?

post-70418-0-12582200-1394877759_thumb.j

What a strange idea!

• Like 2

Would you call it dicking around with their probes and investigations if those involved were Democrats. If they've done nothing wrong then there's no problem but if they have then it needs dicking around with.

What is an election going to solve. Elections are not meant to cause wider splits in the population. They are meant to put people into power who are capable of running a country.

Unfortunately there are a lot of bone heads who think an election will solve every thing. Look at the direct result of the last one and tell me another one with out reform will fix it.wai.gif

I am watching an Intelligence (squared) debate on the BBC and have just realised why things are not right in Thailand. What they are pointing out to me is that Western democracy doesn't work in some developing nations and is not always a suitable means as a choice for choosing the government. This is clearly the situation here, what we need is a different form of government (unelected perhaps) to alter the election process accordingly until it is right for the country.

I realise that this process will automatically bring in a Democrat style government as that will by far be the best choice to steer us out of the mess that PTP have left us in. This is a common sense thing to do as I don't think that 'so called' democracy has prevailed over the last 2 years, has it!!! It has been an unmitigated disaster (I'm being kind here) and a failed government should relinquish power to a more able party that can bring back normality to benefit the nation.

Democracy should take a back seat in Thailand until they fix the problems.

• Like 1

Unfortunately there are a lot of bone heads who think an election will solve every thing. Look at the direct result of the last one and tell me another one with out reform will fix it.

wai.gif

What on earth gave you the notion that competence is a prerequisite for getting elected?

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

What a strange idea!

Went right over your head didn't it.

• Like 1

Ah, so the EC can speed up certain things if they want to.

You've got a point but maybe they thought this was urgent under the circumstances.

I'm not sure I think dissolving the party is necessarily a good idea though.

Unfortunately there are a lot of bone heads who think an election will solve every thing. Look at the direct result of the last one and tell me another one with out reform will fix it.wai.gif

I am watching an Intelligence (squared) debate on the BBC and have just realised why things are not right in Thailand. What they are pointing out to me is that Western democracy doesn't work in some developing nations and is not always a suitable means as a choice for choosing the government. This is clearly the situation here, what we need is a different form of government (unelected perhaps) to alter the election process accordingly until it is right for the country.

I realise that this process will automatically bring in a Democrat style government as that will by far be the best choice to steer us out of the mess that PTP have left us in. This is a common sense thing to do as I don't think that 'so called' democracy has prevailed over the last 2 years, has it!!! It has been an unmitigated disaster (I'm being kind here) and a failed government should relinquish power to a more able party that can bring back normality to benefit the nation.

As I have said before like him or not that is what Suthep is offering. He is also claimiong that it will lead to an election which would be a fair one for Thailand.

Not sure how that would include the south as they seem to have been forgotten by the present Government. At any rate they would take special attention. An honest government would be the end of the red shirts or what ever they are trying to morph themselves into with there drive to sign up 200,000 people and talk of an army of 600,000 separate from Thailand and under their control forget the alphabet they are using for that one.

• Like 1

Always good to hear the North Korean perspective.

I prefer to look at it as the (unelected) Chinese success story myself!!!

• Like 1

Would you call it dicking around with their probes and investigations if those involved were Democrats. If they've done nothing wrong then there's no problem but if they have then it needs dicking around with.

Correct but you are forgetting that you are talking to people who are not used to honesty and when they see corruption being challenged they fight back.