When I Go to Pattaya, I Tell Others I am Going to Hua Hin...

ivan96822

In the 70's Pattaya was just a local tourist spot with very few bars of any size or substance however, the American military both Army and Navy on R&R provided the emphasis on future development. Even in the early eighties it was still a fun place to relax and have fun and it you became tired of the concrete jungle and the incessant blaring music you could pop over the hill to Jomtien and enjoy miles of pristine beach with little else. By the late eighties all this was changing at an alarming rate and this has been ongoing to the present day.

Present day Pattaya is lawless, corrupted and the enter of the sex industry especially in high season. The city itself is a shambles and it attract a certain type of tourist and the greed for the foreign exchange has mutated this once lovely beach resort and fishing village into what and it is today and it is only going to get worse not better. To me those who praise the virtues of Pattaya are suffering from depraved indifference.

• Like 1

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know there're so many people go to gym 3 times a week but not working out there!

So you can go pattaya without the intention to do pattaya-specific-tasks

Because you can go hua hin just for bintabaht :D

So the result is: you judge yourself more than people do it for you :)

Why are you ashamed to admit you are going to Pattaya. I live in Khon Kaen my wife and I go down about every 2 months for a week. We always stay in a 4 star we go to a bar called The Katseree I see many old friends falangs have a good beer and chat we love it, we go every where together.

Don't be such a stuck up.

I go to same bar to watch the football & cheap beer.

In the 70's Pattaya was just a local tourist spot with very few bars of any size or substance however, the American military both Army and Navy on R&R provided the emphasis on future development. Even in the early eighties it was still a fun place to relax and have fun and it you became tired of the concrete jungle and the incessant blaring music you could pop over the hill to Jomtien and enjoy miles of pristine beach with little else. By the late eighties all this was changing at an alarming rate and this has been ongoing to the present day.

Present day Pattaya is lawless, corrupted and the enter of the sex industry especially in high season. The city itself is a shambles and it attract a certain type of tourist and the greed for the foreign exchange has mutated this once lovely beach resort and fishing village into what and it is today and it is only going to get worse not better. To me those who praise the virtues of Pattaya are suffering from depraved indifference

To me those who praise the virtues of Pattaya are suffering from depraved indifference

I love this sentence thumbsup.gif ... Plus for many its probably true LOL

The whole point of this post is to live and let live.

I am no preacher, but my ambition of drinking a tall Chang brew and giving small change to child beggars, Walking Street performers, dirty cops, and others should be nothing to get excited about.

Unless of course you adopt a holier than thou attitude...

If you live in a glass house, careful if you decife to throw a stone. Especially on Soi BJ.

In the 70's Pattaya was just a local tourist spot with very few bars of any size or substance however, the American military.... blah, blah, blah...

Another expert regurgitating the 'sleepy fishing village discovered by GI's from Vietnam' myth.

The Germans made Pattaya what it is, for which I am truly grateful.

• Like 1

Pattaya is the City of Love .... nothing to be ashamed of.

City of love? No...City of whores, yes. whatever floats your boat but I came to Thailand for other reasons.

Please enlighten us

Oh please don't!

Don't you know a temple monger when you see one?

What's more sad is how most people think the entire city of Pattaya only consists from soi 1 down to Walking Street along beach road :-\

Yeah, where would they get that impression? LOL

Gosh! I am sorry as I am not being critical, but I can't help feeling, after reading your post, that you need to make some changes in your life.

1) If you have to lie about it, perhaps it is better for you not to come to Pattaya.

2) If it is your friends you are telling this to, then perhaps it is time to change your friends. I try to choose friends who are not judgemental to me or think the worst of me. There are many attractions in Pattaya that don't revolve around Bars and Bar Girls. The Beach and fine winter weather, and far cheaper than Hua Hin would be enough for me. So if I tell my friends I am going to Amsterdam, I don't expect them to assume right away I am going straight to the Red Light District, even if that may be true.

3) If it is your co-worker you feel a need to lie to, the best thing to do with this is tell them nothing. The less a co-worker knows about your personal life the better off you will be. You just need to trust me on that one.

Have fun! .

• Like 1

Gosh! I am sorry as I am not being critical, but I can't help feeling, after reading your post, that you need to make some changes in your life.

1) If you have to lie about it, perhaps it is better for you not to come to Pattaya.

2) If it is your friends you are telling this to, then perhaps it is time to change your friends. I try to choose friends who are not judgemental to me or think the worst of me. There are many attractions in Pattaya that don't revolve around Bars and Bar Girls. The Beach and fine winter weather, and far cheaper than Hua Hin would be enough for me. So if I tell my friends I am going to Amsterdam, I don't expect them to assume right away I am going straight to the Red Light District, even if that may be true.

3) If it is your co-worker you feel a need to lie to, the best thing to do with this is tell them nothing. The less a co-worker knows about your personal life the better off you will be. You just need to trust me on that one.

Have fun! .

What?

The reason people don't assume you're running straight to the RLD in Amsterdam is because Amsterdam is far better known for its coffee houses. And, I'm willing to bet that your friends assume you got high as a kite when you went to Amsterdam.

If you tell a friend that you're going to Nepal, aren't they likely to assume you went hiking or mountain climbing? If you go to Paris, don't people assume you're going to go to the Louvre?

It's not being judgmental to assume someone is going to participate in an activity that a region is especially known for if they travel there. It's called deductive logic or perhaps even curiosity.

Whether you like it or not, Pattaya is synonymous with sex tourism. All of Thailand has the tinge of sex tourism but Pattaya is pretty much the capital of it.

But, let's just flip this around a little. What if you had a 40'ish female friend who was doing a girl's trip to the Dominican Republic or Gambia with her other single friends? I don't know about you but I'm pretty much betting on the fact they're not going for the local culture.

Am I being judgmental in assuming that or am I simply being realistic?

A while ago my daughter and I were enjoying a meal together, she was down for a long weekend and she got really upset and wanted to leave I asked her why and she told me someone insinuated that I had come to here from Pattaya, apparently it.s a Thai euphynism for a generally undesirable person of dubious character.

She's a prude. HiSo Thais visit Pattaya strip clubs because it's where the party people are.

No she may be embarrassed that the wa***rs on the next table lazily assume she is your pickup rather than your daughter....

A while ago my daughter and I were enjoying a meal together, she was down for a long weekend and she got really upset and wanted to leave I asked her why and she told me someone insinuated that I had come to here from Pattaya, apparently it.s a Thai euphynism for a generally undesirable person of dubious character.

She's a prude. HiSo Thais visit Pattaya strip clubs because it's where the party people are.

No she may be embarrassed that the wa***rs on the next table lazily assume she is your pickup rather than your daughter....

I never tell my folks at home that I'm going to either of those places. That is because a quick Google will reveal their respective sex-industries and I try to pretend that I'm not a sex-tourist because it is frowned upon where I live. Just makes life smoother for me not to give the whole truth! When going to Pattaya, for a hardcore whore-fest where I'm up to my nuts in guts every single night, I will usually say that I'm going to relax by the seaside or, if pressed, Chonburi 'near Bangkok'. Not being of the purest of spirits, as exemplified by some of the Holy Ones who've commented on this thread, one has to live a bit of a double-life. Well, it's more exciting to live twice than merely once!

• Like 1

well! well! i've got no problems telling friends or people i'm going to pattaya! in fact, most places in thailand (bkk, pattaya, phuket, huahin..) offer the same kind of attractions, only pattaya is kinda extreme. in the eigthies, the most degusting "show" i happened to see was in patpong (bkk), not in pattaya.

Pattaya certainly conjures up an image of sleeze when mentioned but if you live in Aus and just say you are going to Thailand, which i do regularly, you are treated to the same sort of response, Most people automaticly think you are a sleeze, but i just go to see my gf.

Pattaya is ok to visit but i dont want to live there.

Pattaya certainly conjures up an image of sleeze when mentioned but if you live in Aus and just say you are going to Thailand, which i do regularly, you are treated to the same sort of response, Most people automaticly think you are a sleeze, but i just go to see my gf.

Pattaya is ok to visit but i dont want to live there.

The UK is the same in regards to admitting to a holiday in Thailand. I work with predominantly women who were horrified that I was going to Thailand. Hilariously, being of the 'generalisations are bad' and 'it's wrong to stereotype' feminist variety, they've had to shut the hell up about my trips or risk making the, correct but easily denied and complained about, generalisation that I am a sex tourist. Gotta laugh really. We really do live in ridiculous times.

Nothing wrong with Pattaya. T'was there I met my wife and we often revisit for a trip down memory lane. Our favourite restaurant is there. Down side for me is the change in language. I have problems reading Russian. I am not at all bothered by peoples reaction when I tell them I go there. That's their problem, not mine.

• Like 1

I think there are a few things wrong with Pattaya but as i said ok to visit, what i don't like is people making judgements about you based on where you go, many have never been to Thailand and never met a thai woman, who take care of themselves and are more fastideous than most western girls.

People do the same in Europe. Benidorm, Spain no one ever goes there! They holiday in every village around to put friends off the scent. Benidorm has had bad publicity in the past for its drunken louts but the small loutish area gets wild only in the early hours of the morning. It is a beautiful place to visit and full of vacationing Spanish.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Have fun! .

What?

The reason people don't assume you're running straight to the RLD in Amsterdam is because Amsterdam is far better known for its coffee houses. And, I'm willing to bet that your friends assume you got high as a kite when you went to Amsterdam.

If you tell a friend that you're going to Nepal, aren't they likely to assume you went hiking or mountain climbing? If you go to Paris, don't people assume you're going to go to the Louvre?

It's not being judgmental to assume someone is going to participate in an activity that a region is especially known for if they travel there. It's called deductive logic or perhaps even curiosity.

Whether you like it or not, Pattaya is synonymous with sex tourism. All of Thailand has the tinge of sex tourism but Pattaya is pretty much the capital of it.

But, let's just flip this around a little. What if you had a 40'ish female friend who was doing a girl's trip to the Dominican Republic or Gambia with her other single friends? I don't know about you but I'm pretty much betting on the fact they're not going for the local culture.

Am I being judgmental in assuming that or am I simply being realistic?

I don't know what you are being but I would guess to say that yes, you are being judgemental. Therefore you could never be my friend.

Let's use some of your own logic, I have known about Pattaya and the sex industry here probably about the same time you were walking in diapers and saying "Poop-poop Momma". I have in fact lived here many years, where judging from your post you did not. But I cannot remember the last time I have been in a Bar let alone with a Bar Girl. But then to me, most of them are very nice people who I feel no shame being with and always had fun.

I have been to Paris and I have seen the Mona Lisa at the Louvre. Also Amsterdam and the Red Light District while I was there one time. My Friends did not assume I was in a coffee house doing drugs, as they know me well enough to know I don't do drugs. But yes, while their, I did see this. I have seen the Colosseum in Rome. The Pyramids in Egypt. London Bridge. And this list goes on and on. But on a recent trip I also went to Cambodia with my wife, just to see some of that country as it is close to Thailand.

Whether you know this or not, Cambodia is also famous for being a Child Sex Tourist Destination. I Love Kids and would never even dream of hurting anyone of them in such a sick way. But according to you, and perhaps this poster, I should lie about this fact and tell my friends I am going someplace else, just in case they will think of me later as being a Child Molester.

If that is the case then like I said all along Mate, "Time to get New Friends!"

Oh Ya! If I went to Nepal My Friends would not think that I was going Mountain Climbing or Hiking! They know me well enough that I would hate that. At my age and health most guy do! Golf is as high a hill I want to climb now. So they would be more worried that I am going crazy and losing it by going their, then seeing me climb a mountain. That is unless...someone was paying me to do this....which we all understand.

• Like 1