What is there to do in Chiang Mai?

funnyguy69

Hello, okay my question is a little bit more specific than just what is there to do.

I'm a student here for one year, and it's currently the school break. Going out to the bars and fancy restaurants with the other exchange students doesn't really appeal to me. I'm wondering if anyone knows any kind of activities meant for Thai kids to do during their break? My host mom told me that the universities or the YMCA often have summer camps for the kids. I'd even be willing to teach English or anything. I just want to have something to do so that I'm not wasting my one year in Thailand.

Oh, or if anyone knows any relatively cheap Thai tutoring places. Preferably someone with flexible hours, and cheap as possible.

I tried to do some searching myself, but I was hoping maybe some of the members on here with children would know of some of the activities for Thai kids during the summer and could give me specifics. My host mom said she would look into all of this three weeks ago but still hasn't, which is why I have to take matters into my own hands.

Thank you! biggrin.png

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You are 19?...English speaker and living in an Asian country for a season?. WOW! What wonderful opportunity to grow!!! If I was your age I will love to have that chance...I am 70...Will you like to trade with me? Give me your age...I give you mine....

Be away of English speakers, meet Thai people in your age, get a Thai girl friend, learn a new language, a new culture, do volunteer work using you skills, get a travel companion to see other places in your free time, and come back home knowing that you had the time of your life, and many new great experiences and adventures to make your friend jealous and your parents proud....

Yeah I am :) Hahaha, I'll trade if it means I get to live in Thailand the rest of my life!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/290755510935085/ check this group out i love chiang mai on face book and post your question there

Thanks I'll take a look

How about setting yourself a project that could be of interest to others. For instance walk or bike an areas trails and take pics as you go of all the fauna and flora. Then draw up detailed maps with distances, degree of difficulty of the terrain and include you pics with identification of landmarks and the fauna and flora. You could easily post these on the www as a valuable resource. Or you could do a similar project on Thai artisans or musicians. Very little is known of the animals that frequent the small areas of green within and around CM. You could easily focus on an area and make a detailed study. This sort of information is important. Or you could look at studying the local dialects or Lanna script.
I started a collection of pics and researched some of the old motorbikes and scooters I see around. Depends on your own personal interests. Any documentation you chose will be of interest and in particular as time goes by. Some years ago I photographed every person in a small village. This became a series that was later exhibited and as time passes it's value as a record increases. After say fifty years it will be historically of much greater value than when I did it. The mundane is often overlooked. A hundred years ago you could buy over 200 types of apple in England now there are very few options and there are very few records of what the fruit variations looked like. I wish I had taken detailed pics and notes on the great markets of London that I knew well as youngster, as most of these are now no longer.
If you are into computers etc a detailed mud map of all the little stalls and what they do (in the main PC buildings) would be handy.
Make a phone video explaining the rules of some of the Thai sports your school mates play. Go camping - National parks nearly all have camp sites now. If you see locals fishing ask if you can join them. I got into the Whulai street area for a day, watching the silversmiths and they invited me to have a go on a scrap of silver. I wasn't good at it. But, it was interesting!
School hols go fast. Don't waste them sitting about - get out and explore and observe and look for things that are interesting. Look at the small things and in the detail of the world and you will never be bored.
Good luck.

I never even thought about doing something like that, it's a great idea, I really like it! Thank you!

how about learning how to build an environmentally friendly house using local products....mixing and learning with locals and foreigners alike

My only problem with that is that I'm not sure where to start. I wouldn't know who to contact about that and my host family is being less than helpful.

funny guy check out the PANYA PROJECT or PUN PUN for building and learning about environment

Also check out MAGGIE Mckeown ,,google natural building workshops in Thailand

Today i went past the YMCA in Santitham area,,there they have regular kids camps you just need to sign up

Fair Earth farm has lots of volunters also educating locals and foreigners alike

go for it and grow

• Like 1

Breathe in the Fresh Air.. ?? (only joking)....

Like someone else said, i aint a big fan of ''Chiang Mai' either, i was bored after the first day...., definetly not for me...

Thank you for sharing that.

Be sure and post a picture of your breakfast on facebook.

I've lived in most cities around asia, Chiang Mai for 6 months.

It's one of my favourites and certainly my fave in Thailand.

I bought a motorbike and travelled around a lot. Up to Pai is great, also Chiang Rai then on down following the river.

There's a great jazz club by the north gate I went to every week as well as a dance club/school at the 2nd floor gallery (google it).

Wandering around the old city trying food was always fun. Try some of the monastaries, I remember some great vegetarian food at one monastary, on the hill past the airport somewhere.

In about 10 months they'll have shambala in your heart festival out near Pai. A lot of odd Japanese hippies go there and it's loads of fun.

Hope this helps.

Pete

• Like 1

I think it's great there because all the dirty old men and mongers avoid it - not a lot of sex for sale so they get bored after a day or three.... As a result the class of expat is generally higher and the locals tend to treat us like normal human beings.

I think it's great there because all the dirty old men and mongers avoid it - not a lot of sex for sale so they get bored after a day or three.... As a result the class of expat is generally higher and the locals tend to treat us like normal human beings.

Are you talking about Chiang Mai? There is plenty of sex for sale. In fact Chiang Mai is famous for it - although the farang bars leave a lot to be desired these days. The class of expat is higher than Pattaya though, if that is what you mean. tongue.png

• Like 2

Not A fan of that city.I was bored my 3rd day there.Ok place to visit .I wouldn't want to live there.

Bored, I cannot understand the younger generation,all my life (so far),

I never once have been bored,just wish I had a little time to be bored !

regards Worgeordie

Younger generation? I am in my '60s and can't handle more than 5 days there even though I own a condo there.

• Like 1

I've lived in most cities around asia, Chiang Mai for 6 months.

It's one of my favourites and certainly my fave in Thailand.

I bought a motorbike and travelled around a lot. Up to Pai is great, also Chiang Rai then on down following the river.

There's a great jazz club by the north gate I went to every week as well as a dance club/school at the 2nd floor gallery (google it).

Wandering around the old city trying food was always fun. Try some of the monastaries, I remember some great vegetarian food at one monastary, on the hill past the airport somewhere.

In about 10 months they'll have shambala in your heart festival out near Pai. A lot of odd Japanese hippies go there and it's loads of fun.

Hope this helps.

Pete

So what you are saying is that, apart from the jazz club and local eateries that you can find anywhere in Thailand, there's not a lot to do in Chiang Mai apart from leave it a lot.

• Like 1

Some great ideas here. One MAJOR problem in CM is the pollution. You could research why and where the fires that cause the pollution are burning at this time of year - eg. document hill fires, lowland farms, rubbish in local yards. What's the major cause, why do people do it, can they be stopped, are there alternatives. It may involve talking to people which may be difficult as they are not likely to speak English, but at least you could document your findings in words and pictures for the web or environmental bodies. Maybe there are organisations in CM who could help and are interested.

Are you talking about Chiang Mai? There is plenty of sex for sale. In fact Chiang Mai is famous for it - although the farang bars leave a lot to be desired these days. The class of expat is higher than Pattaya though, if that is what you mean. tongue.png

The Farang bars always left a lot to be desired.

But he is right that this is also a good thing; less of a stigma on Farang leches.

(Being a lech takes WORK around here! :) )

OP,

I think Mousehand and others are offering some good ideas. Don't let someone tell you about being bored in Chiang Mai

or what this place or that place are like. A lot of TV posters will tell you many negatives about everything Thai as they wouldn't be happy anywhere.

Another young person visiting Thailand did a fantastic project investigating Thai street food and put together a wonderful

guide for farangs introducing Thai food. He made it available as a download and made a few bucks. You could expand on that idea because Northern Thai food is so different from the Bangkok food he described. I forget his name, but I'm sure if you Google Thai streetfood guide he will show up. Also you could create Youtube videos of your experience here. Most importantly, as others have advised, get some Thai friends. Cheers.

Edited by duanebigsby
  • Like 1

It is difficult to advise you as I am several times your age but here are a few suggestions and observations:

- consider learning how to ride a motorbike in your home country first - that will open your horizons a lot. However, it is not absolutely necessary to drive a motorbike in Thailand as there are other ways to get around

- read up on Thai culture and Buddhism - understanding Thai culture will help you a lot. Learn how to smile and not to raise your voice in anger

- try to learn some Thai in advance, at least the basic words and phrases

- many years ago I worked on a program in Chiang Mai - I lived in a room near the university and was able to drive in and out of town on a rented motorbike. That suited me because I was not acceptable to the Thai students as I was old enough to be their father; I worked at the university and socialized in the city.

- Get in with Thai people of your own age. Don't write off university students so quick. Many Thai university students have lived very sheltered lives and you will probably be ahead of them in many ways, especially the first year students.

- there will be some opportunities to volunteer for NGOs in Thailand but it depends on what you want to do. You need to research this and decide whether you wnat to be involved in eco projects, social ones or pro-poor programs. Your ability to speak English is great but you do not have a qualification.

- North of Chiang Mai are many hill tribes - tourists get to visit them in an organized tour but someone who lives there can spend more time exploring their culture.

- Sports and other spare-time activities are key to getting in with a crowd of like-minded people of your own age.

- make sure that you have permits and visas etc and be aware of the Thai law regarding work permits and so on. Depending on your situation, you may have to go on a visa run every few months and you should factor that into your budget.

Good luck!

• Like 1

read up on Thai culture and Buddhism - understanding Thai culture will help you a lot

IMHO, you can't really learn the culture until you marry to one. (or find a Thai girl friend)

Edited by ARISTIDE

Welcome to Chiang Mai. Check out web sites for young visitors, expats. Hiking, camping, museums,markets, tons of festivals. University of CM should have a schedule of events.

Most language schools will want a contract for 6-12 months and you should have a work visa to even do volunteer work. Trips to Laos, boating, etc. Endless lists of things to do.

Maya Airport Plaza and Central Festive have great, new theaters, some films in 4D, and many in English. Most w/e's the malls have music and a variety of things to amuse young people.