9 killed in pickup accidents in Thailand

webfact

9 killed in pickup accidents
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- NINE PEOPLE were killed, including three boys, and one was wounded in two separate road accidents over the weekend.

Six people in a pickup truck were killed and one injured when the vehicle rammed into a tree in Kamphaeng Phet on Saturday evening. Police said five of the dead, including two boys, were from the Kongsab family living in Khamnu Worralak district.

The other dead victim was a boy from the Ngaodee family. The lone survivor hailed from the same family but he was unable to immediately give any statement to the police.

Another pickup truck also hit a tree in Bueng Khong Long district in Bueng Kan province yesterday morning, killing all three occupants, including two Laotian women, who were passengers.

After preliminary inquiries, police said there were no signs that the Thai driver had applied the brakes, and suspected he was likely sleeping at the wheel.

The Laotian women are identified as Khammee Sukkhanuwong, 50, and Phonethawan Chaiyayossaengwong, 46, residents in Laos' Bolikhamsai Province.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-03-17

I can understand why this happens often because I observe every day that thai drivers pass over a double yellow line and even around a curve or uphill. I ask this question ( Does any thai driver know what a yellow line in the middle of the road means? )

THE POLICE ARE A JOKE IN THAILAND. there only job is to control traffic during a motorcade for a government official

Well spotted.....

Sympathies to the trees.........coffee1.gif

• Like 2

'After preliminary inquiries, police said there were no signs that the Thai driver had applied the brakes, and suspected he was likely sleeping at the wheel'

A killer in ANY country.

RIP to everyone but really feel for those poor kids.sad.png

Edited by lostmebike

i remeber my first and last experience,in the back of my wifes brother freinds p/u,we all went to the tepmple in burriram...5 childrem mom and dad 3 sisters,and the ''a hole'' driving...after about 10 minutes of this dangerous and riculous ride,i told my wife to have him stop,she said he was ok...i insisted....after a severe argument almost resulted in a fist fight ,i sarted to walk home...alone...these thai mutts need a lesson in in in.....i wouldnt know where to start....but i do know this...i will never ever ride with another thai....even on the pattaya bkk bus last week,i saw the driver ''texting''.,while driving...i tried taking a picture of him,but he saw me and quickly stopped......

• Like 2

All pick ups sold in Thailand should come with the following:

WARNING - Pick ups in Thailand are known to be attracted to trees, especially at high speeds with people in the back of the truck. They are also known to lure drivers to sleep and drink too much
  • Like 1

These sort of accidents are a daily occurrence here in Thailand unfortunately and are seldom of interest. It just seems to get more media coverage at this time of the year, as a warning as we head into the Songkran Holiday.

A man was recently in the last three days charged in the US for capital murder for plowing into people and three died with more injuries. He had been drinking and registered over the alcohol limit. We never ever see a Thai driver being hauled off in handcuffs and charged with any sort of manslaughter negligent homicide or a capital murder. In fact, the Thai experience is that the stories just die out or establishment elite bargain or buy their way out like the Sukhumvit cop killing hit and run.

Yet it does nothing to stop the 1.4 Million people in The US being arrested for DUI,

A post containing content copy and pasted from Phuket Wan has been removed:

23) Bangkok Post do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post publications will be deleted from the forum. Please note that this is a decision by the Bangkok Post, not by Thaivisa.com and any complaints or other issues concerning this rule should be directed to them. Quotes from and links to Phuketwan are also not allowed and will also be removed. In special cases forum Administrators or the news team may use these sources.

Statistics from the web vary between 26,000 to 13,000 deaths per year on Thai roads - quite a spread! But even taking the lower figure, that equates to about 35 deaths per day! That is a horrendously high death rate. We are all shocked and concerned over the possible fate of the missing Malaysian Boeing 777. Thailand lose that many people on their roads every week!

Statistics from the web vary between 26,000 to 13,000 deaths per year on Thai roads - quite a spread! But even taking the lower figure, that equates to about 35 deaths per day! That is a horrendously high death rate. We are all shocked and concerned over the possible fate of the missing Malaysian Boeing 777. Thailand lose that many people on their roads every week!

your only recorded dead at the scene not when in hospital that maybe why theres a big difference..wai2.gif

• Like 1

Strange how trees in Thailand keep jumping out in front of vehicles traveling at high speeds!

Even stranger that they only jump out in front of sleeping drivers.

That would make them very discriminatree, don't you think?

I see the trolls are at it again. Pathetic!!!!!!

Another accident where people lost their lives but how do you avoid them in a country where the vast majority cant afford their own vehichle.?

Sure the cops will book you if you don't wear a seat belt in your brand new Mercedes and yes they turn a blind eye to a dozen people standing in the back of a truck.

Poor Thai people do it everyday on their way to work/building sites, going to school or having a day out with their relations who have got 1 car between 20+ of them.

Sure the police could stop them but then what....confine them to the barracks, take the little bit of freedom they have away from them?

or Maybe they should go by bus...if only they had 7 baht a day to do so?

You toss pots who know everything about Thailand know nothing.........bc you have never experienced real poverty like millions of Thais have day after day.

R.I.P.

• Like 1

So you are saying it is ok for poor people to ride in pick ups and die from time to time?

There are poor people everywhere in the world but the law does not allow them to risk their life every day like it does here in Thailand .

The laws are lax and life is cheap.

Another accident where people lost their lives but how do you avoid them in a country where the vast majority cant afford their own vehichle.?

Sure the cops will book you if you don't wear a seat belt in your brand new Mercedes and yes they turn a blind eye to a dozen people standing in the back of a truck.

Poor Thai people do it everyday on their way to work/building sites, going to school or having a day out with their relations who have got 1 car between 20+ of them.

Sure the police could stop them but then what....confine them to the barracks, take the little bit of freedom they have away from them?

You toss pots who know everything about Thailand know nothing.........bc you have never experienced real poverty like millions of Thais have day after day.

R.I.P.

Very true, but where are we to step in and improve their lives when they themselves are screwed by their own? I know, honeymoon travelers who come to Thailand for volunteering to teach Thais about traffic safety in English? Oh wait a minute. They don't speak English as a second language because they're not even literate in Thai being that Thailand is ranked near the bottom in education of the ASEAN countries.

Sad to say its easier to sit and read these common accident threads with a huge sigh and momentary tears. Preaching the same sermon won't help these poor souls.

My wife keeps asking me about a provincial truck / ambulance crash

where a doctor was killed and patients being transported,

supposedly last weekend, but I've seen nothing here about it.

Read a brief mention somewhere that it ran into a ditch. Don't remember if any other vehicle involved.

R.I.P.

why dont you offer to take a few to work then you really would have a point of view worthy of posting mr samariton..if you even live here passifier.gif.pagespeed.ce.4LsapYv4zC.gi

R.I.P.

why dont you offer to take a few to work then you really would have a point of view worthy of posting mr samariton..if you even live here passifier.gif.pagespeed.ce.4LsapYv4zC.gi

How the hell would you know what i do to help?..........Lived in Thailand for 15 years and do my bit but I'm not here to boast and certainly not here to make stupid remarks about trees like your troll friends.

Dummy suits you...greetin face