Grinding Cinnamon Sticks

sunoco27

Or you could just buy some already ground up, check out Makro they have

a very wide selection of herbs and spices (dried), most Oriental cooking just

uses a piece of Cinnamon stick,not so much the powdered form.

regards worgeordie

Or you could just buy some already ground up, check out Makro they have

a very wide selection of herbs and spices (dried), most Oriental cooking just

uses a piece of Cinnamon stick,not so much the powdered form.

regards worgeordie

Vanilla Ice cream with the powder on is great, so having a way to do fine powder is good, the mortise and pestle I got for around 200 baht was just a small one, too small for Som Tam to go in it and mess it up for doing spices

I use a mortar and pestle to roughly break up the cinnamon and then a dry mill (on the right) that comes as a part of most blenders. Then seive the milled cinnamon and repeat milling for the bigger peeces that don't pass through the seive the first time.

post-99062-0-70906400-1395125969_thumb.j

• Like 1

Not sure what the difference is. I use a lot of ground cinnamon I purchase from Tops for 199 baht. I put a spoonful on my cereal for breakfast and have a tablet for after other meals.

All I know is that my Blood Sugar level is no longer high it is under 100 which on the one scale is the point where it is called high. Have been doing it for over 8 months now. Cheap enough. But then again to be honest with you I do not have that sensitive a palate.

Now when I was a young lad it was great mixed with sugar and sprinkled on toast.

Not sure what the difference is. I use a lot of ground cinnamon I purchase from Tops for 199 baht. I put a spoonful on my cereal for breakfast and have a tablet for after other meals.

All I know is that my Blood Sugar level is no longer high it is under 100 which on the one scale is the point where it is called high. Have been doing it for over 8 months now. Cheap enough. But then again to be honest with you I do not have that sensitive a palate.

Now when I was a young lad it was great mixed with sugar and sprinkled on toast.

Then you need to do some research John, the cinnamon here in Thailand is highly toxic because of its coumarin content, sure it'll lower your blood glucose levels but it will also kill your liver.

one has to be very careful experimenting with Thai cinnamon. a friend in Bangkok who was diagnosed with diabetes began grinding sticks of Thai cinnamon and adding the powder to food and i think coffee - i forget, it was quite a few years ago. he was dizzy, confused, and passed out at home and was taken to the hospital. he was found to be hypoglycemic at the time. his blood sugar had dropped to something like 38 mg/dl (from 200+ when he was found to be diabetic). the doctor warned him how strong Thai cinnamon is and told him it was very dangerous what he was doing.

Liver or blood glucose. Decisions, decisions.

Those are not the choices, I'm diabetic and there's plenty of ways to lower blood glucose levels without damaging the liver, alpha lipoic acid is one, diet and exercise is another.

Those are not the choices, I'm diabetic and there's plenty of ways to lower blood glucose levels without damaging the liver, alpha lipoic acid is one, diet and exercise is another.

I think it affects different people in different ways. Every three months I get my blood tested for all the normal things. My liver and kidneys are perfect. The only thing that comes back high is my uric acid level. Before I started making a habit of the cinnamon I checked it on the internet and found only one negative about it. That particular study said you could take to much of it.

I don't think mine is from Thailand. It seems to have a lot of Chinese or Japanese on it. But it does say packaged in Thailand. I took that to mean that it came from some where else and it makes sense to ship it in bulk.

So as far as it goes for me it is great. But that does not mean every one will get the same results and as one other poster mentioned you can overdo it.

I am going to have to Google coumarin. and check on it not sure if there is any in the stuff I get. It seems to have (Nguan Soon) on it in a logo type thing and it only shows in English cinnamon as the only ingredient. I goggled it not that bad a warning it is in fact used in certain medicines. Not some thing you would want to take with out a doctor. It is banned in many places for use in food.

I think it affects different people in different ways. Every three months I get my blood tested for all the normal things. My liver and kidneys are perfect. The only thing that comes back high is my uric acid level. Before I started making a habit of the cinnamon I checked it on the internet and found only one negative about it. That particular study said you could take to much of it.

I don't think mine is from Thailand. It seems to have a lot of Chinese or Japanese on it. But it does say packaged in Thailand. I took that to mean that it came from some where else and it makes sense to ship it in bulk.

So as far as it goes for me it is great. But that does not mean every one will get the same results and as one other poster mentioned you can overdo it.

I am going to have to Google coumarin. and check on it not sure if there is any in the stuff I get. It seems to have (Nguan Soon) on it in a logo type thing and it only shows in English cinnamon as the only ingredient. I goggled it not that bad a warning it is in fact used in certain medicines. Not some thing you would want to take with out a doctor. It is banned in many places for use in food.

One more time:

There are two types of Cinnamon, that which comes from Ceylon (good Cinnamon) and that which comes from SE Asia and China (bad Cinnamon) - bad cinnamon is not true cinnamon but is instead a plant called casia, it is however marketed extensively as cinnamon because it is far cheaper than the real thing and to all intents and purposes it has very similar attributes. Bad Cinnamon contains very high levels of coumarin which is toxic to the liver and this is well documented. Good Cinnamon (from Ceylon) can be ordered over the internet but is more expensive than what most consumers might expect.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=newtip&dbid=31

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/05/130508123127.htm

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/260430.php

you can use a mortice and pescle. not sure if grinders are available here, but a domestic coffee grinder will work just as well. good luck Tony

Mortise and pestle....and now mortice and pescle...!

Before someone refers to it as a mortice and tenon can I advise.

Its a mortar and pestle.

Why am I now thinking about the songtell?

• Like 1

Use Thai or Chinese Cinnamon sparingly, it's heavily toxic, far better to get Cinnamon from Ceylon if you intend to consume in any quantity above a sprinkling. Google coumarin for further info.

How would I know the origin? I'm sure I bought cassia bark in Australia once and it looked different, although it was a long time ago. I always buy cinnamon sticks and grind my own as it's fresh and I know what's in it. I cook a lot of Indian, Middle Easten and Greek food so we go through quite a bit of it.

Use Thai or Chinese Cinnamon sparingly, it's heavily toxic, far better to get Cinnamon from Ceylon if you intend to consume in any quantity above a sprinkling. Google coumarin for further info.

How would I know the origin? I'm sure I bought cassia bark in Australia once and it looked different, although it was a long time ago. I always buy cinnamon sticks and grind my own as it's fresh and I know what's in it. I cook a lot of Indian, Middle Easten and Greek food so we go through quite a bit of it.

Cinnamon on the left, Casia on the right.

ceylon-cassia.jpg

Also, Cinnamon from Ceylon usually states where it's from and is easily distinguishable by price.

Edited by chiang mai

ceylon-cassia.jpg

Also, Cinnamon from Ceylon usually states where it's from and is easily distinguishable by price.

Wouldnt them selling Casia as Cinnamon be false advertising?

ceylon-cassia.jpg

So therefore cinnamon looks like a nicely rolled cigar and cassia looks exactly the same as what Macro is selling in bulk - packaged, don't know about loose but I presume the same. Haven't used it yet and I think it will be going into the bin.

Thanks for the info, as usual the Chiang Mai forum doesn't fail me.

In the real world, yes. Is there such a thing in Thailand?

I wasn't paying much attention when I bought it but didn't know the difference anyway. I was in a hurry and it's the first time I've got it from Macro, just saw it on the shelf and had a vague recollection of needing it. I imagine that any powdered cinnamon they sell is also cassia.

I've previously bought it from supermarkets or the Bombay stall at Kad Luang, doubt he'd be miss-selling but I'll be watching from now on or will bring a big back back from England later this year.

This was a good heads up from ChiangMai.

ceylon-cassia.jpg

Is there such a thing in Thailand.

In the real world, yes. Is there such a thing in Thailand?

I wasn't paying much attention when I bought it but didn't know the difference anyway. I was in a hurry and it's the first time I've got it from Macro, just saw it on the shelf and had a vague recollection of needing it. I imagine that any powdered cinnamon they sell is also cassia.

I've previously bought it from supermarkets or the Bombay stall at Kad Luang, doubt he'd be miss-selling but I'll be watching from now on or will bring a big back back from England later this year.

This was a good heads up from ChiangMai.

As I said I get mine in powdered form and it is clearly marked on the bottle in English ingredients cinnamon.

Nothing else. Yes I see it is easy to distinguish between the two sticks.

My question on that is if Casia is so bad for you why do they sell the sticks. I know from Wikipedia that it does have some medicinal purposes but to be honest I have never heard of it being used as a spice. Can't recollect seeing it in a spice rack either. next time I am in a store with a good selection of spices I will check it out. Be interesting to see what it is used for.

edit

Forgot to mention according to the article I read it is banned in many countries to be sold as a food product.

Edited by northernjohn

I don't think most of us have ever tasted the real cinnamon, casia is the norm and is fine for most cooking and safe for most people. Now that cinnamon is being used as a medicinal herb the toxicity issue with casia is raised as the ammount consumed is higher than in common baking and cooking.

The real stuff is a gourmet item and priced accordingly. Don't expect cinnabon to change their name to casibon anytime soon..... though it is technically more accurate.

Edited by daoyai

Yes

the Consumer Protection Board a statutory creature of the Consumer Protection Act B.E. 2522 (A.D. 1979) (as amended) is empowered to institute legal proceedings under Section 10(7) of the Act, against inter alia, business operators who have advertisements which contain a statement which is unfair to consumers or which may cause adverse effects to the society as whole; that is, notwithstanding such statement concerns with the origin, condition, quality or description of goods or services (Section 22) such statements expressly including statements which are false or exaggerated (Sub-section 22(1)). Other than litigious powers, wide powers to veto, and to effect corrective measures are granted to the statutory watchdogs, for instance under Sections 27 & 28 of the Act to require substantiation of claims made in advertisements.

Yes

the Consumer Protection Board a statutory creature of the Consumer Protection Act B.E. 2522 (A.D. 1979) (as amended) is empowered to institute legal proceedings under Section 10(7) of the Act, against inter alia, business operators who have advertisements which contain a statement which is unfair to consumers or which may cause adverse effects to the society as whole; that is, notwithstanding such statement concerns with the origin, condition, quality or description of goods or services (Section 22) such statements expressly including statements which are false or exaggerated (Sub-section 22(1)). Other than litigious powers, wide powers to veto, and to effect corrective measures are granted to the statutory watchdogs, for instance under Sections 27 & 28 of the Act to require substantiation of claims made in advertisements.

Good luck with that, King Canute springs to mind.

Then you need to do some research John, the cinnamon here in Thailand is highly toxic because of its coumarin content, sure it'll lower your blood glucose levels but it will also kill your liver.

This depends - both types of cinnamon are available here - choose the type that are thin and brittle (multi-layered) rather then the thicker softer (darker) kind. I get mine at Macro, they do both types, bagged type is Ceylon, large loose cheaper type is Indonesian (genus cassida - to be avoided). Ceylon also tastes much better, being sweet and not bitter. They are good for blood pressure issue and lowering cholesterol. Some research suggest it is good more memory issues and Alzheimer's.

See here http://cinnamonvogue.com/Types_of_Cinnamon_1.html for good info on the types and identifying - as well as facts to coumarin and the levels present in each type.

I would not say it is highly toxic either - it can cause liver issues if taken in large doses and should be avoided by the elderly and people with liver issue. Ceylon has very low levels of coumarin so is perfectly safe.

I put a stick of Ceylon in my coffee each day (same stick in each cup) and nibble at it from time to time too.

Check the link I posted above - it shows photos and tells how to identify the four main types of cinnamon (http://cinnamonvogue.com/Types_of_Cinnamon_1.html) - 3 bad (to various degrees) and one (on the right in the photo) is good :)

Simple test though - Ceylon is light in colour (not dark brown), usually in many layers like a rolled cigar as it is very thin (Cassia and other types are thick and hard and dark coloured), touch your tongue to it for a moment (good way to do this is break a bit off and touch tongue to either fresh cut edge), if it burns the tongue slightly like acid, is bitter and/or spicy, it is probably not Ceylon. Any type is OPK for normally healthy people in small quantities - which in the EU is marked at about one 150mg per adult per day max (there is a legal EU limit for food set at 15mg per item - with exceptions for Christmas/seasonal specials up to 50mg - as it is unlikely one person will eat several Christmas Puddings in a day!).

Coumarin itself (a precursor anti-coagulant and Vitamin K antagonist) has an average lethal dose of about 275 mg/kg which is very high (in other words it is not a very toxic substance to a healthy person at all - you would probably die of blood-glucose levels in the cinnamon before liver damage!). Used in Warfarin (a drug prescribed for blood clots and stroke patients). It should be avoided for vitamin K deficient people (such as haemophiliacs, Von Willebrand/Bernard-Soulier Syndrome/Factor V/X/XII deficient/Uremia/Thrombocytopenia/Aflibrinogenemia/Glanzmann's Thrombasthenia/C1INH deficient/Vitamin K deficient/dissimilated intravascular coagulation/ (and perhaps Leiden's Factor V Thrombophillia especially if taking Warfrin etc) sufferers and of course people with Liver Damage (including alcoholics) especially end-stage ).

According to Wikipedia, "1 kg of cassia cinnamon powder contains approximately 2.1 to 4.4 g of coumarin. Powdered cassia cinnamon weighs 0.56 g/cm3,so a kilogram of cassia cinnamon powder equals 362.29 teaspoons. One teaspoon of cassia cinnamon powder therefore contains 5.8 to 12.1 mg of coumarin, which may be above the tolerable daily intake value for smaller individuals."

By the way coumarin is also in Strawberries, cherries, apricots, black currents, vanilla grass, etc naturally - and in a lot of fruit based alcoholic drinks and vanilla essence/flavouring (artificial kind).

• Like 1

ceylon-cassia.jpg

No more than people selling "Apple Wine" etc are falsely selling the product - Cassia is called Cassia Cinnamon, so it is actually cinnamon in name, but not "true" cinnamon as is the other name by which Ceylon/Sri Lankan Cinnamon is called. It is a type of cinnamon. The real question would be as to enforcing accurate labelling here - that is just not likely to happen anytime soon as it is not exactly high on the priorities list!

In Europe Ceylon Cinnamon is the norm (cinnamon is not cheap on the continent or the UK!), up until fairly recently, the USA and Canada imported mostly Cassia (and still do from Indonesia from what I have read - but have banned certain uses of it now).